Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A lot of the blockchain stuff is almost assuredly DOA at this point, if it ever gets beyond a planning meeting in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd be amazed if a lot of that doesn't get scrapped. You're already seeing the walk-back from some of the game companies that had planned NFT bullshit in their games and realize it's not worth the effort.

meanwhile Gamestop is forging full speed ahead on their crypto and NFT plans and the GME holders are still convinced Gamestop's NFT marketplace is going to be what causes mass adoption (and price spikes) in Crypto

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Slow moving corporations are still integrating crypto in their systems which will keep the spark alive. For example among that big Microsoft leak were plans to integrate crypto wallets into the new Xbox environment.

Noticed this when I logged into Fidelity this morning :smith:. I don't know how long it's been there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Slow moving corporations are still integrating crypto in their systems which will keep the spark alive. For example among that big Microsoft leak were plans to integrate crypto wallets into the new Xbox environment.

that may well have already been scrapped, the big leak is old enough that it has starfield slated for FY 2021 (it just came out in reality)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I see no reason to split the thread, it’s all interlinked fuckery.

That Bitboy video is a pro-click. I usually can’t be hosed watching a fifteen minute breakdown of internet drama but WOW what a brilliant bit of self-destruction. Live-streaming yourself being arrested with your mistress and loads of drugs in the car, that’s quite a move even for a crypto idiot

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Also the original stream is quite a watch, it starts just as the sun is setting so you get this wonderful progression of this guy ranting and raving outside a house as it gets darker and darker, then the police come.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the thread could do with a title that encompasses both meme coins and meme stonks

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, put me on team 'Let's keep it all consolidated into one thread' as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

repiv posted:

the thread could do with a title that encompasses both meme coins and meme stonks

Memecons

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Dan Olson Pre-Memorial Thread and Feed Bag

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, put me on team 'Let's keep it all consolidated into one thread' as well.

we should make a separate thread for each cryptocoin and memestock and nft collection

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

we should make a separate thread for each cryptocoin and memestock and nft collection

Would this send GBS to the moon [Y/n]?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'm for the two split threads. Reddit stonks rants are mostly the same delusions repeated over and over, with minor variations, e.g. creating another fantasy rationalization when one of their predictions fails... fascinating at first but then it largely isn't, IMO.

I wouldn't mind short "heads up" posts ITT linking to the GBS stonks thread each time something of note happens, maybe weekly or whatever.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
as long as there's a place for people to post about the scammiest poo poo on the planet I'm happy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Is Tether still backed by Evergrande?

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/shares-china-evergrande-suspended-chairman-under-police-watch-2023-09-28/

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/28/chinas-evergrande-shares-suspended-in-hong-kong-.html

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm for the two split threads. Reddit stonks rants are mostly the same delusions repeated over and over, with minor variations, e.g. creating another fantasy rationalization when one of their predictions fails... fascinating at first but then it largely isn't, IMO.
You're talking about cryptocurrency.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

We have no idea what Tether is backed by because we've never seen Tether's books. For the record they've strenuously denied holding Evergrande debt so we it's not good, but it's not as bad as it could have been since even last year due to huge interest rate hikes that let them plow money into US treasuries for guaranteed fat gains.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

happyhippy posted:

Surpirsed no one has mentioned the latest with the arch-grifter Bitboy Crypto.
We've all heard of rug pulls of the coin, but this is possibly the first rug pull of the grift!

Back Story: Bitboy Crypto is the Jim Cramer of bitcoin and crypto.
He had his own show where he would get money to pimp the latest scam coin, claim its 100% to the moon, and then next week its another scam coin.
He has ruined a lot of other's lives. He also throws out SLAPP lawsuits to anyone who posts against him online, then drops them once threatened back.
He's the ultimate crypto bro, flashing rolexes and a lambo his company rents.
Absolute scumbag.

Current: He has his own company taken away over night from him by his business partner.
All his cards stopped, bills unpaid, left without a nickel. So he takes it like a normal person does.
He begs for $20 for gas, to turn up at the business partner's house trying to doxx him live.
Police turn up, is asked live on his stream who is in the car with him, and he stalls answering as its someone who hes cheating on his wife with.
Then he gets arrested

Here it is all detailed, good laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKkOdFx27mI

Thanks for posting this since I lost track of it.

Holy poo poo that bitboy went the, "whoa that guy made it public about this lawsuit i used to bully another person and it didn't work and all i wanted to do was suppress his criticism of me. woe is me" then gets arrested because he preplanned a livestream of going to a person's house with his mistress to get his lambo back (supposedly). lol.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I don't know a whole lot about drugs, but I know Bitboy is on drugs in that livestream.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

As much as I viscerally dislike reading about the cult stonks crazies, this would be a pretty bare thread when the current crypto news usually amounts discussing the latest rug pull.

I like the rug pulls :mad:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

spiritual bypass posted:

I like the rug pulls :mad:

There are probably people in your area you can pay to pull the rug on you, if that's your thing. Times have changed since the 80s, you don't even need to be embarrassed about your preferences.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kw0134 posted:

We have no idea what Tether is backed by because we've never seen Tether's books. For the record they've strenuously denied holding Evergrande debt so we it's not good, but it's not as bad as it could have been since even last year due to huge interest rate hikes that let them plow money into US treasuries for guaranteed fat gains.
Tether's situation could've improved over the years if they took advantage of higher interest rates, but we don't actually know that they did. lack of insight into Tether's books cuts both ways - we don't really know how much money they've plowed into US treasuries. and Matt Levine had a good newsletter last week in which he pointed out that Tether admitting they're still making loans to "customers", rather than just dumping everything into US treasuries, implies that Tether's primary function is still to prop up other crypto-adjacent businesses, and that they're willing to pass up those guaranteed fat gains to do it.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Surpirsed no one has mentioned the latest with the arch-grifter Bitboy Crypto.
We've all heard of rug pulls of the coin, but this is possibly the first rug pull of the grift!

Back Story: Bitboy Crypto is the Jim Cramer of bitcoin and crypto.
He had his own show where he would get money to pimp the latest scam coin, claim its 100% to the moon, and then next week its another scam coin.
He has ruined a lot of other's lives. He also throws out SLAPP lawsuits to anyone who posts against him online, then drops them once threatened back.
He's the ultimate crypto bro, flashing rolexes and a lambo his company rents.
Absolute scumbag.

Current: He has his own company taken away over night from him by his business partner.
All his cards stopped, bills unpaid, left without a nickel. So he takes it like a normal person does.
He begs for $20 for gas, to turn up at the business partner's house trying to doxx him live.
Police turn up, is asked live on his stream who is in the car with him, and he stalls answering as its someone who hes cheating on his wife with.
Then he gets arrested

Here it is all detailed, good laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKkOdFx27mI

lol this is the content i crave. there's a full video of the incident as well if you want to watch a drugged up meltdown/arrest in real time

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Blotto_Otter posted:

Tether's situation could've improved over the years if they took advantage of higher interest rates, but we don't actually know that they did. lack of insight into Tether's books cuts both ways - we don't really know how much money they've plowed into US treasuries. and Matt Levine had a good newsletter last week in which he pointed out that Tether admitting they're still making loans to "customers", rather than just dumping everything into US treasuries, implies that Tether's primary function is still to prop up other crypto-adjacent businesses, and that they're willing to pass up those guaranteed fat gains to do it.

this is assuming that every USDT was once backed by a real dollar somewhere though, and not invented out of whole cloth

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, by objective standards because Tether's customers are idiots who park money with them for promises of potentially getting that dollar back (without any interest or gains) it should be a no-brainer operation, Tether's owners should be making bank upon bank. But this is crypto, everyone's loving stupid in ways that make the writers of our reality look like hacks.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Yes, tether is backed by some cash but not $80 billion worth of it. If you had 80 billion dollars worth of cash with a team tethers size you wouldn’t be running loving cryptocurrency.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

spunkshui posted:

Yes, tether is backed by some cash but not $80 billion worth of it. If you had 80 billion dollars worth of cash with a team tethers size you wouldn’t be running loving cryptocurrency.

Yeah if they actually had $80 billion they wouldn't be involved in cryptocurrency. They'd be moving on to whatever step 2 of "The Plan" was.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

God I can’t wait for the Tether collapse. I have no idea when it will happen, but I am positive it will not happen until every other major thing in the crypto industry has collapsed. Maybe when Binance goes down it will happen.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
At this point I'm kind of running the assumption that Tether and Binance havent collapsed yet because they were at least smart enough to run themselves out of non-extradition countries.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
binance tried to be everywhere and nowhere at once, but in the end the SEC and DOJ etc dont really care about that anyways if they have a case that involves americans

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When the jenga tower falls down one of the blocks has to be the last one to hit the table.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-29/three-arrows-capital-co-founder-zhu-apprehended-liquidator-says

One of the three arrows scammers got caught

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ymgve posted:

this is assuming that every USDT was once backed by a real dollar somewhere though, and not invented out of whole cloth

I said it before, every USDT is backed by an actual dollar. Go to Tether HQ, they'll show you the dollar.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

good, i hope they all get put in prison forever. the fact that one of them bought a super yacht and named it Much Wow absolutely infuriates me.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i guess living in a shack in your landlords backyard could be better in some ways than living under their floors.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Zopotantor posted:

I said it before, every USDT is backed by an actual dollar. Go to Tether HQ, they'll show you the dollar.

Every Teather is backed by one unique trinidadian dollar!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Every Teather is backed by one unique trinidadian dollar!

The gently caress did Trinidad and Tobago ever do to you that you'd slander them so :(

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Dan hyping his video
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1707843378954776837

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That's the folding ideas guy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

That's the folding ideas guy, right?

yep. Been doing longer researched stuff of late. Good stuff.