Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What scares me about Active Directory, is that at enterprise-scale it's perpetually at an early beta stage, MS simply can't spin up a lab environment with 100,000 endpoints and thousands of servers to run regression testing.

AD does weird stuff sometimes and we just have to roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
AAD > AD

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokin opposition posted:

Thanks for the advice, but this is a nonprofit and all paid is determined by years of experience.

this is almost always a lie by the way. even if the "pay per YOE" is set in stone (which it is not, nothing is set in stone), you can certainly selectively manipulate your years of experience!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
A nonprofit is going to pay jack poo poo regardless. The last one I worked with (and maybe all of them) publicly posted their CEOs pay and she made less than I did. They had an IT worker who had been there 25 years and they got paid $20 an hour. Can’t wring blood from a stone

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I have had four managers this calendar year. None of them overlapped.

Number four just quit.

Laughing out loud.

Absolutely laughing my butt off.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I have had four managers this calendar year. None of them overlapped.

Number four just quit.

Laughing out loud.

Absolutely laughing my butt off.

Step up and show them you're the Wizard for the job.

I have an interview tomorrow for a job with requirements I absolutely do not match but we'll see. I need to dust off the shirt and tie.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure I could remember how to tie a tie any more

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not sure I could remember how to tie a tie any more

If they won't accept me in a polo and jeans, do I really want to work there?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I’ve never worn a tie to an interview goddamn. Funerals only.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

If they won't accept me in a t-shirt and loose skirt, do I really want to work there?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i am a moron posted:

A nonprofit is going to pay jack poo poo regardless. The last one I worked with (and maybe all of them) publicly posted their CEOs pay and she made less than I did. They had an IT worker who had been there 25 years and they got paid $20 an hour. Can’t wring blood from a stone

This place is offering 32/hr to stsrt, but I don't know when that was or what the COL is

Thus far I've been able to resist too much lifestyle creep so that's still plenty for me

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
20/hr was eight years ago in Ohio, 32 actually seems pretty good but idk if that will go farther in your godless heathen left coast den of sin

Edit: 60-70k would’ve been director level there. They also ran half ways houses (some of which were designed to protect former sex workers from their traffickers) and did lots of really intense voc rehab with devastatingly underserved populations. Not sure if that’s like… not profitable non profit stuff. It’s honestly a joke they don’t all get paid more than me, they did more for more communities that need it than anywhere I’ve ever worked or ever will. lol America

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 28, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i am a moron posted:

20/hr was eight years ago in Ohio, 32 actually seems pretty good but idk if that will go farther in your godless heathen left coast den of sin

Edit: 60-70k would’ve been director level there. They also ran half ways houses (some of which were designed to protect former sex workers from their traffickers) and did lots of really intense voc rehab with devastatingly underserved populations. Not sure if that’s like… not profitable non profit stuff. It’s honestly a joke they don’t all get paid more than me, they did more for more communities that need it than anywhere I’ve ever worked or ever will. lol America

My last job was working overnight at a homeless shelter for minimum wage. I had to deal with so much poo poo (literally and figuratively) with a boss that actively hated her residents and basically treated me as a combo security guard, therapist, and janitor. it's hilarious how bad the nonprofit sector is if you actually do helpful things rather than be a CEO or computer toucher.

Keep in mind Seattle's minimum wage is $18.69* and I have a very cheap lifestyle without a car, kids, or pets so I've been building my nest egg to eventually pay off student loans and get a car.

* this means you can afford to live in an apartment the size of a shoebox, a slumlord basement, or you have to commute an hour away at least to afford anything nice.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

basically treated me as a combo security guard, therapist, and janitor.

This was all of their front line people basically. Lots of awesome folks who wanted to good and got roped into a pretty grimy setup especially when you listened to how the HQ folks talked about it. Honestly can’t believe they even have a pool to draw from anymore but somehow they keep finding people.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rip jamboards, we hardly knew ye.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

:lol::lol::lol: I sat in a meeting with the main Jamboard dudes while they presented to Spotify and

a - they didnt understand corporate video at all
b - holy poo poo were they pretentious assholes

I am zero percent surprised they axed the jamboard, and am kinda surprised that G suite is still such a closed off environment. Only the Bay Area is cool with using PCs for video conferencing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Defenestrategy posted:

The Google Graveyard needs to be updated.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you pay money to Google for something your business relies on then you are a sucker. Their product development process frequently involves straight up forgetting that stuff exists for years at a time, and the support is genuinely awful.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lol, we had a couple of those big-rear end free standing Jamboards. I never saw one in use except at a tech faire. On the other hand we do have every conference room set up with large displays, good cameras and audio, and wired into a Google Meet touchscreen. That works great.

The latest downside to conferencing is that the Product people have fallen in love with LucidSpark. That's great when the presenter has organized her presentation properly, and then panned down so we could add stickies with feedback and questions. It sucks when a whole quarterly Program Increment plan is loosely arranged on a chart spark(?) and you have to keep zooming and panning to find anything.

The new LucidSpark plugin for Meet is really nice though, you can interact with the chart in the actual Meet window.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We bought five of those free standing jam boards back in 2018. You can technically still use them after the eol for jamboards, but I'm hoping i can convince my office to let me have a 55 inch touch screen display for a laptop in my living room.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

do you mean Entra, boomer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tehinternet posted:

do you mean Entra, boomer

Entra ID :smug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

If you pay money to Google for something your business relies on then you are a sucker. Their product development process frequently involves straight up forgetting that stuff exists for years at a time, and the support is genuinely awful.

:same: but also :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A major, major, major household name migrated from Lotus Notes to Gsuite in TYOOL 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

look I'm not surprised that GE is trash

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My college's student system has FORTRAN somewhere in the backend which made it harder to get a preferred name option implemented until I put up enough of a fuss

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lots of big systems have fortran somewhere in the background

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And the others have COBOL

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i support logan's run for computers, programming languages, and video games

30 years out and you're smashed with a sledgehammer

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I second the motion on the floor

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wait how old is iexplore.exe?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

wait how old is iexplore.exe?

first release was with windows 95

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

*axe sharpening noise* interesting

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

It’s all oracle people soft if you squint hard enough

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the original internet explorer was licensed from spyglass, which was the commercial offshoot of ncsa, which made the first graphical web browser initially released in 1993

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

and yes I am old enough to have used ntsc mosaic when it was new

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nevermind! Raise the voting age and lower property taxes!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

Wow, how's retirement treating you?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Yeah but I think we can be fair to our mod and go with the actual named product release.

You've got approximately two years IE, make the most of them.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Fool posted:

Bump this fist, fellow fogey. Sometimes I miss the days when the Internet was for text. On the other hand, if I had to go back to writing CGI scripts in Perl, I might lie quietly and wait for Tokin's axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you heavily rely on teams live event, Microsoft has decided to kill it, starting next October. The replacement (Town Hall) is bound to only certain types of licenses so you might want to check if your usual organizers for big events fit.