Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you for the recommendations, N+1 is shipping my bike and I almost forgot pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Any recommendations for some lightish "trail" knee pads?

Considering something like the Leatt Airflex or POC VPD

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

all the chat about phones and handlebars and garmins et al makes me want to insert a plug for just leaving that poo poo at home, or at least turning it off. i enjoy riding noticably more with my poo poo turned off, and my paper trail map doesn't lose signal or sell my data to killbots

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My phone resides in my pockets or in my hydration pack. I do sometimes listen to music while out on the trails. I'm a monster.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have to bring my phone with me, if I didn't how would I be able to take pics of cool rear end looking mushrooms that I find while I'm out on my rides?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I generally like POC stuff and have a bunch of it, but I found the VPD air knee pads had a super uncomfortable pressure point at the back of my knee. I’ve seen some complaints of Leatt Airflex melting a bit in hot cars etc, and I’d never buy pads I can’t take the armour part out and wash. One of my riding buddies has them though and says they’re super comfortable.

I just replaced my Fox ones with a pair of IXS Flow Evo+ and I like them a lot. Super short sleeve so less area to be sweaty and they’re noticeably lighter than most other pads I tried on. The velcro strap is great and they breathe about as well as any pad I’ve tried.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I leave my phone in my little custom bike bag (somebody on Etsy makes custom sizes ones that fit perfectly, it rules) with my keys. No more riding with any extra junk (water, tools, anything) on my person.

I've only needed it once when I broke a chain to let the wife know I'd be late. When I broke my collar bone I was with friends who got me to my car and I drove to the ER myself after they loaded my bike. My wife didn't pick up that time. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 27, 2023

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I really like my Fox Launch pads, pretty comfortable and have definitely saved my knees from some poo poo. Previously I rode with some Dakine pads, but the redesign made the fit be terrible.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

e.pilot posted:

unless you get lucky, a good used $1k bike will probably need $200-300 or more in maintenance, and finding a good used bike without knowing what to look for would be fraught

a lot of shops around town are starting to have enough stock to discount things pretty deeply, so $1500 is a good budget for a starter bike for sure

biggest thing to look for in that price range is fox or rockshox suspension, and hydraulic brakes, it won’t be the mid or top end stuff, but at least with those brands it should be serviceable and easy to find parts

some suntour suspension can be okay, but most of it is bad enough it’s better to just avoid it all together if you’re not sure what to look for

a dropper seat post is nice if it has it but that’s easy enough to add later, a dropper is a must have though

120-140mm travel will probably be the sweet spot for what you described, maybe even a hard tail if the price was right and it were well equipped, any bigger travel than that and you start to compromise how well it pedals and rides when you’re not going downhill

Thanks for the guidance! It's nice to have some guidelines as I shop around. I'll definitely check out some local bike shops for sure and we also have a coop that has great deal on whatever that happen to have. It was just a lot to take in, but understanding general guidelines like the amount of travel is really helpful so thanks again.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Aphex- posted:

I have to bring my phone with me, if I didn't how would I be able to take pics of cool rear end looking mushrooms that I find while I'm out on my rides?

shroomtography exception

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

all the chat about phones and handlebars and garmins et al makes me want to insert a plug for just leaving that poo poo at home, or at least turning it off. i enjoy riding noticably more with my poo poo turned off, and my paper trail map doesn't lose signal or sell my data to killbots

quick clarification: i neither leave my handlebars at home nor turn them off

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I only bring my bike computer so strava can shower me with gold medals and make me feel special and fast

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Strava's improvement tracking was nice but the price hike is kinda ridiculous

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I make sure to run the same loop every week as my benchmark. Then copy the time into a text file so I can marvel at my increasing toughness.

But you do need a phone on a bike ride, no other way to get a humblebrag photo of some grand vista while your bike just so happens to be perfectly positioned in frame.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I take pictures of beautiful vistas with my bike as memories of cool places and things I’ve done rather than “humblebrags” but you do you

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Levitate posted:

I take pictures of beautiful vistas with my bike as memories of cool places and things I’ve done rather than “humblebrags” but you do you

I do them as brag brags!

I have to because when I ask my friends to take photos of me it comes out like this

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

I do them as brag brags!

I have to because when I ask my friends to take photos of me it comes out like this

Don't think we didn't notice you bragging about having friends too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I generally like POC stuff and have a bunch of it, but I found the VPD air knee pads had a super uncomfortable pressure point at the back of my knee. I’ve seen some complaints of Leatt Airflex melting a bit in hot cars etc, and I’d never buy pads I can’t take the armour part out and wash. One of my riding buddies has them though and says they’re super comfortable.

I just replaced my Fox ones with a pair of IXS Flow Evo+ and I like them a lot. Super short sleeve so less area to be sweaty and they’re noticeably lighter than most other pads I tried on. The velcro strap is great and they breathe about as well as any pad I’ve tried.

+1 for IXS being comfortable while pedaling

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I wear my IXS knee pads on every ride. Even up to 100+ degrees F.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ordered some IXS flow light pads, thanks forums friends

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://electrek.co/2023/09/28/sram-launches-new-mid-drive-e-bike-motor-outsmarts-the-competition/

Auto shift and coast shift sounds cool.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Kill it with fire. Next will be self-driving for bikes so people can use their phones while they cruise down the trail.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nohearum posted:

Kill it with fire. Next will be self-driving for bikes so people can use their phones while they cruise down the trail.

You don't have to buy one

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Autoshift is pretty decent for general use but it has a terrible time with the transition into a hill. It leaves you in too tall of a gear, and then takes too long imo to decide to correct. The motor can sortof paper over this if you don't mind dropping to really low cadence for a bit. I hate how it feels. It's good enough that I really miss it when I turn it off, though, so I manually adjust before the hills which works out great cadence-wise but now I have to babysit the gears again. I don't like this middle ground very much, I've tasted no-shift life and it is good but manually correcting the system is heartbreaking. I wouldn't buy one of these on the strength of autoshift or shifting while coasting, at least not yet, though they are 'nifty'.

Nohearum posted:

It removes a distraction from piloting the bike. Shifting is something I have a lot of experience doing and it isn't a huge cognitive overload and I do it unconsciously, but it is surprisingly nice to not worry about it at all and just ride. I went into it thinking autoshift would be stupid and it made me a begrudging convert.

disclosure - I work for sram but did not have anything to do with autoshift

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 29, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nohearum posted:

You can have multiple bikes to meet multiple needs.

I look forward to an e bike at some point. Probably going to get one for town soon.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Looking at the Fox droppers that are half price at Jenson. If I have my seat at at about 8.5” above the collar and a 10.5” insert depth on my bike, I’m looking at a 150mm dropper?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Have you looked at this doc? https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1086

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, I think the measurements I have line up for 150 mm there. I’m just looking for a sanity check; I think I could fit a 175 mm but it’d be pretty close.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

8.5in is only a couple mm over the low end of the 175mm range in step 1. better be really sure about that measurement. for me that'd be too close for comfort

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for mountain biking tips videos!

taqueso posted:

Autoshift is pretty decent for general use but it has a terrible time with the transition into a hill. It leaves you in too tall of a gear, and then takes too long imo to decide to correct. The motor can sortof paper over this if you don't mind dropping to really low cadence for a bit. I hate how it feels. It's good enough that I really miss it when I turn it off, though, so I manually adjust before the hills which works out great cadence-wise but now I have to babysit the gears again. I don't like this middle ground very much, I've tasted no-shift life and it is good but manually correcting the system is heartbreaking. I wouldn't buy one of these on the strength of autoshift or shifting while coasting, at least not yet, though they are 'nifty'.

It removes a distraction from piloting the bike. Shifting is something I have a lot of experience doing and it isn't a huge cognitive overload and I do it unconsciously, but it is surprisingly nice to not worry about it at all and just ride. I went into it thinking autoshift would be stupid and it made me a begrudging convert.

disclosure - I work for sram but did not have anything to do with autoshift

Is this specially the new SRAM one? My only exposure to it previously was test riding a VanMoof, and that did not really feel very good. I really missed the control. I can see how recreating the experience of riding a single speed and just not worrying about gears could be nice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I've only tried the one from sram

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the american campaign to eradicate all manual transmissions takes an unexpected turn

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
With winter aka rain season arriving in my part of the world, I could use some advice on how to ride through it.

First, what's the protocol for riding in the wet? Both when trails are wet or while its raining? I'm not planning on riding alot in driving rain but I'm sure I'll get caught out at some point.

Is there anything I can do to winterize my bike? I have little fenders already but is there anything else I can do? Wet conditions chain lube? Keep it clean as much as possible?

Any recommendations for pants? I doubt I need anything too heavy duty, it rarely gets below freezing here.

Likewise, what about gloves? My hands run cold so I'll need something medium weight at least.

Also thanks to the folks who recommended going tubeless. I finally around to doing it this week and it was hilariously easy to do.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

With winter aka rain season arriving in my part of the world, I could use some advice on how to ride through it.

First, what's the protocol for riding in the wet? Both when trails are wet or while its raining? I'm not planning on riding alot in driving rain but I'm sure I'll get caught out at some point.

Is there anything I can do to winterize my bike? I have little fenders already but is there anything else I can do? Wet conditions chain lube? Keep it clean as much as possible?

Any recommendations for pants? I doubt I need anything too heavy duty, it rarely gets below freezing here.

Likewise, what about gloves? My hands run cold so I'll need something medium weight at least.

Also thanks to the folks who recommended going tubeless. I finally around to doing it this week and it was hilariously easy to do.

Wet trail etiquette is wildly location dependent; check with locals. It can vary from ‘it rains here always so whatever’ to ‘if it is soft enough o leave a visible track you shouldn’t be on the trail.’

Pogies/bar mitts are a popular choice depending on how cold it gets.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

taqueso posted:

8.5in is only a couple mm over the low end of the 175mm range in step 1. better be really sure about that measurement. for me that'd be too close for comfort

Yeah. 8.5” is a conservative measurement but seems like caution is a better choice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

taqueso posted:

Skill issue.

Get a dropper post with too much range for the bike because both are cheap, then tether the saddle rails to the top tube to constrain its maximum extension.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I’m a big fan of the NF DP4 pants for fall / winter but I don’t usually ride in significant rain. They are super comfy and have excellent articulation.

https://www.ridenf.com/collections/best-sellers/products/dp4%E2%84%A2-team-black-black

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Seconding DP4 pants. I got a pair this fall, and they're perfect for that weird 0-10C temperature. They'll soak through eventually in the rain, but they're pretty water-resistant. Any pants will eventually let water in (or you'll sweat to the point you're wet anyway), so I prefer to have more breathable but not waterproof pants. They're also so comfortable, it feels like I'm wearing nothing at all.

I've got a pair of the Rapha trail pants as well and like them, but I'd take NF over them every time.

Edit: they have constant stockout issues on their own site though; it can actually be kind of tough to just... buy them.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Being in the UK I ride all year round so probably 8 months of that is at least some form of wet. Definitely seconding checking what the trail etiquette is where you're based. If it's fine to ride your trails in the wet then go for it.

I would say, although you've just set up tubeless I would 100% change those tyres. They won't be good for winter mud and slippy conditions at all. You'll need some softer tyres with chunkier knobs on that dig in to the dirt and get some grip. Something like a Schwalbe Magic Mary/Maxxis Shorty on the front and a Schwalbe Big Betty/Maxxis DHR II on the back. Either those or what I'm running for the first time just to try them out which is a Continental Argotal on the front and Kryptotal on the back. They'll be slower rolling but if you're riding in winter anyway you aren't going to be setting any PRs. I much prefer sacrificing some rolling speed for extra grip and confidence.

As for gloves, 100% Briskers are amazing. I've worn them down to sub freezing temps and they're excellent, mid weight gloves. I find they are cold initially but if I put my hands in my pockets with the gloves on, they warm up then stay warm for the rest of the ride.

That front fender is a little small for wet conditions, I've got this in the standard size for my front and it's great.

Whatever you do, don't use muc off wet lube. It's pure garbage and will gunk up your drivetrain sooooo bad.

Love the look of the Izzo by the way, looks like a super fun trail bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I copped a shoerter stem and moved my seat up and feeling more in control OP. when i record myself riding it just seems insanely slow and i see that im not peddling at all. SAD!

when I go up jumps I just plop my little wheel down on the top??? what in the world? All my gopro footage is also pointed too down despite being as up as the gopro can go. I assume this is because I'm lean too much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChKyLZ8qoE