Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah that sounds great.

Ordo Dracul joining the Pentacle goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Right now the PCs are split up: the Deviant and Demon PCs are investigating a surgical clinic they've tied to a business that's a big pillar of the Deviant's enemy Conspiracy, and they brought the Changeling PC as backup. The Deviant and the Demon were able to help the Changeling get into the clinic, but in the process they agitated the security AI (which manifested as a giant snake made of cables; AI are a form of spirit so the Deviant's otherworldly senses picked up on it before it attacked). Unfortunately the Changeling PC was incommunicado as his accumulated Goblin Debt had gotten his smartwatch loaded with malware and he smashed it (resolving the condition for a beat). Equally-unfortunately the power surges/evil magic at the clinic seem to have turned the clinic into an im-sim level with probable-monsters lurking in the operating theater.

Back at base one of the Mage PCs was so fixated on finding a mysterious necromancer he opened himself up to hacking; thankfully the Demon PC had sufficient security in place to prevent any real breach. Several rooms away the other Mage PC was hanging out in Novus Ordo Draconum genchat and shooting the breeze about Consilium plans and the extent to which the vampire court is behind the recent spike in crime and NYPD pleading lack of support in the run-up to the mayoral election, unaware of any of this.

Attorney at Funk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Deviants and Demons and their respective setting themes make it feel like the NWoD is fairly cyberpunk already, no changes needed

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A nice thing about Deviant in a cyberpunk setting is that when your Conspiracy sends camo ninjabots or mechs after you, everyone on the street's like "oh this again" so there's no suspension of disbelief about what happens if the Conspiracy outs themselves around people. It's just Tuesday on the mean streets to see robots trying to kill a guy out of nowhere! It's fine!

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Attorney at Funk posted:

Right now the PCs are split up: the Deviant and Demon PCs are investigating a surgical clinic they've tied to a business that's a big pillar of the Deviant's enemy Conspiracy, and they brought the Changeling PC as backup. The Deviant and the Demon were able to help the Changeling get into the clinic, but in the process they agitated the security AI (which manifested as a giant snake made of cables; AI are a form of spirit so the Deviant's otherworldly senses picked up on it before it attacked). Unfortunately the Changeling PC was incommunicado as his accumulated Goblin Debt had gotten his smartwatch loaded with malware and he smashed it (resolving the condition for a beat). Equally-unfortunately the power surges/evil magic at the clinic seem to have turned the clinic into an im-sim level with probable-monsters lurking in the operating theater.

Back at base one of the Mage PCs was so fixated on finding a mysterious necromancer he opened himself up to hacking; thankfully the Demon PC had sufficient security in place to prevent any real breach. Several rooms away the other Mage PC was hanging out in Novus Ordo Draconum genchat and shooting the breeze about Consilium plans and the extent to which the vampire court is behind the recent spike in crime and NYPD pleading lack of support in the run-up to the mayoral election, unaware of any of this.

need more of this :f5:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's too much trouble to recount everything but one fun detail is we poured some of the black goo from Prometheus onto a nutrient algae block and came back in a few weeks to find a little spacefaring tardigrade civilization. They're frozen in time while we figure out the most ethical thing to do about the immortal Baron Harkonnen type who's become their god-emperor.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Asterite34 posted:

Deviants and Demons and their respective setting themes make it feel like the NWoD is fairly cyberpunk already, no changes needed

Deviant already has rules for playing a cyborg, it's always been cyberpunk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

It's too much trouble to recount everything but one fun detail is we poured some of the black goo from Prometheus onto a nutrient algae block and came back in a few weeks to find a little spacefaring tardigrade civilization. They're frozen in time while we figure out the most ethical thing to do about the immortal Baron Harkonnen type who's become their god-emperor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg

You now have a potential mcguffin for almost anything.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nessus posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg

You now have a potential mcguffin for almost anything.

My referent is a short story by I forget whom in which a guy gets drunk enough to make psychic contact with a drunk member of the rapidly-developing microscopic civilisation that has formed in a mild skin infection between two of his knuckles. Everyone down there is terrified because the guy scratched at the area with his index finger a couple times, and of course the microbes perceived this as a series of nightmarish divine calamities spaced hundreds of generations apart.

The story ends with the narrator just bandaging his hand up for a few days because he figures that's long enough subjective time for any intelligent people to destroy itself. He never hears from the microbes again.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Continuing the AARs and my inability to just be concise…

Mage 1848: Prologue Two Whatever Happened to Charles Wick Baltimore?
Last time, two of my PCs were at a phantasmagoria where a guest disappeared. They discreetly raise this with the host as soon as they can, and because they’re PCs, they get handed the job of finding Baltimore. It turns out he’s an old associate and business partner of Sinjin Waugh’s, and he considers it both a personal favour and a strategic priority in the conflict with the Order of Reason.

This then leads us into a fairly standard investigation sequence where they gently caress up all but one roll – and before they get there, they spend some time interrogating some of the guests. First up are the Hindelstones, because Alexander has his grudge (again: I love my players. They buy a flaw, and they make it work. Enemy 2 could be one-way but Alexander’s player knows it’ll be more interesting if he pushes his enemy to open action than if I just drop him randomly in sometimes as an adversary.) This turns out to be a dead end. The second is where things get a little spicy. While Alexander is interviewing Letitia and Rupert, he asks Bertie to ‘open his mind’ and speak to the mysterious pale lady.

Now, at this point Bertie is still tripping balls. He’s not an Ecstatic, but he shares some of their methods but in a very undisciplined way. He’s also, bluntly, a fairly serious addict fleeing the pain of being a disappointment and his father’s murder with gambling, drugs, and ill-advised sex acts… So its perhaps not ideal that he’s the one interrogating a goddamn vampire. The Pale Lady is none other than Juliet Parr (Her card), Malkavian and future Sherriff (and Justicar in time). She’s there, if you can believe a word she says, mostly because she knew it was going to be a phantasmagoria, and she loves those. She also likes moving in Mage circles because she’s more likely to find people who’ve read Wollstonecraft there, but that’s neither here nor there.

Players, look away: She’s also there because I’m setting up a few false threads around vampires being behind the 1848 revolution – hence why a few of the key places and people they have to work with have vampiric figures in the periphery. I want them to glance this secret conspiratorial shadow world and assume they must be related, all while dangling the two actual conspiracies right in front of them so when the reveal does finally hit its got that wow factor... and they’ve got undead allies to call on.

I’ve mentioned that I like to play weird with the magic my players use. Bertie’s mental probing is the first example they got (outside of a Disco Elysium rip in an earlier tabletop with his player). During their talk, her surface mind has the taste and feeling of a perfectly still glacial lake… until Bertie put his foot in it and made some unfortunate remarks about women having the vote. Then there was a faint flash of hunger – and exploiting the crack, he kept on and had his mind assaulted by visions of the glacial lake transforming into a sea of blood and the sound of cracking bones and marrow being sucked at by desperate starving mouths. So, fairly obvious, but not a ‘you sense she’s a vampire’ directly – and it establishes the precedent that magic might shortcut a lot of things, but it isn’t an ‘I win’ button in the chronicle.
Reeling away with this new information, Bertie also has a clue to crack the case. Parr did see Baltimore disappear into thin air – she just assumed it was part of the entertainment, and thought it a rather cracking addition to really amplify the terror and mystery. She is, afterall, a vampire: they do that sort of thing all the time. Even for her it happened too fast to really see, but he was in his chair one moment, then there was a shadow, then he was gone.

At this point, they’ve failed a few hidden perception checks to notice a smudge of soot on the carpet behind Baltimore’s chair, but get their key success in. Alex opens his eye (which is to say: I let my mage players sense the ebb and flow of magic as a baseline ability, just not reliably – it doesn’t read things being actively concealed) and checks the area, and notices a faint, lingering sense of stretch in both time and space around the chair. But, as he’s not gifted in the right magic, it again falls to Bertie to work out what happened while he informs Sinjin.

Bertie’s player then really understands the brief and goes for it. Drunk and hallucinating, he knows three things: He needs to reach out and see what happened, so Time is involved. He needs to find a way to focus his unfocused will to do so. So – he proceeds to borrow a shawl to cover his head with and heads into the library for a quiet spot to meditate and try to leave his body, where he sees a grandfather clock. Enter part three of what he knows: He is a little bit of an Egyptophile, and a symbolism guy. Bertie wraps the shawl around himself like a mummy, opens the clock, squeezes himself inside (loving the clock up in the process), and begins a Time, Mind, and Correspondence ritual that largely consists of trying not to have a panic attack until his mind goes quiet and the combination of his rapidly opening doors of perception and specific target let him see what happened.

At the crescendo of the story, one of the hired help simply walked up behind Baltimore, grabbed him, and pulled him up out of his chair and into nowhere. The man’s face is a shapeless blur in Bertie’s vision of the events (seen from the actor’s perspective), but he is surrounded by the taste of burning machine oil and the sound of grinding gears. From there, it gets harder – the successes don’t pinpoint the location they wind up in, but give some clues. It tastes like old burnt flour and sounds like heavy stone and crumbling timber, with a psychic tang of a community pillar now tragically lost, visions of strange flickering blue light. The vision further expands into fields drowned with blood, vast empty seas of ice haunted by the starving spirits of the lost, and a festering rot consuming the world which Bertie thinks is related to the mill – but is, of course, a forecast of what will happen if they don’t prevent the eschaton unfolding in 1848. This being his first ever true vision, I thought I’d slip some oracular nonsense in there.

This takes a few minutes to properly communicate back to Alexander and Sinjin, but between them they work out that this must be the old mill, which burnt down two years prior but has, for the last two weeks, had stories in the village about the weird blue light. Sinjin sends Alexander and Bertie to retrieve Baltimore, and at the last moment they succeed on a persuasion check to have him assist them directly. So, they head out on horseback (Bertie and Alex decline to take weapons, while Sinjin, being old enough to appreciate the value of casting Gun, takes a 10-bore hunting shotgun) to the old mill and spend a little while planning their assault in case the surrounding fields are the foretold fields of blood and the whole thing is a trap to murder Sinjin. The end result is Bertie and Alexander move carefully up, disarm a mundane tripwire linked to a flare, and arrive at the mill building, then signal Sinjin to come up as well.

The assault doesn’t quite go as planned, though. The doors are closed and the windows covered, so other than the flickering blue light they can’t really see much. Bertie proceeds to drunkenly climb the outside of the mill (with some success) and finds a suitable vantage point to look down into the heart of the windmill tower, where Baltimore is bound, gagged, with his fingers individually restrained (their first clue he’s a fellow mage) and looking like his captors have been none too gentle. There are the long shadows of two captors, which he communicates back down in a stage whisper (with Correspondence, to turn it from an actual whisper for him to the stage whisper for Alexander).

Then: violence. Attempting to enter, the door is locked, and it takes three solid kicks to get down. Someone starts chanting inside which should be their first clue whoever took Baltimore isn’t an ordinary rank and file Orderman, but they haven’t twigged that yet. and as Alexander gets the door down, the other man bursts out into the doorway and hits him hard enough to crack a few ribs while also swinging for Sinjin. Alexander manages to grab him and shove him out just far enough that Sinjin can turn him from man into mince with the 10-bore, in the worlds worst clay pigeon impression. (Alex buys a dot of firearms with the XP from the prologue now that he’s seen why a wizard might cast Gun up close and personal.)

The danger inside intensifies – more and louder chanting. Bertie, clinging on to the wall for dear life, manages to distract the mage inside by throwing his voice, buying just enough time for Alexander and Sinjin to burst in. There are copper wires everywhere forming a weird circle and a wet cell battery powering an arc lamp, the source of the flickering blue light. Arc lamps, of course, create an arc between two electrodes – basically lightning – so a Hermetic mage with Forces can exploit them, which is precisely what Alexander does. The arc lamp’s casing ruptures and the electricity in the battery discharges into the second enemy and boom, Baltimore is saved.

They retire back to Sinjin’s for medical attention, port, and a pipe in the smoking room… and get Read In. Sinjin is not just an old man who runs the ‘neutral’ Alexandrian club, he’s in charge of London-area field operations for the Traditions, with the dual role of keeping the peace (lest it turn into another 30 Years War, which I’ve co-opted to be partly the result of the Ascension War as a good touchstone of just how extreme the violence of it reigniting into the open will be and the human toll it’ll take for my players) and sabotaging the Order where possible. Baltimore is a courier for the covert network, using his shipping line as cover – and now that Bertie (with new respect from Sinjin, having proved useful) and Alexander (with old respect from long association) are in the mix, they have a choice: be bound to silence and kept on the fringes, or go to work.

Naturally, they choose work, and the Park Street Covert is formed with Bertie and Alexander as its core cabal members (because at least one is guaranteed to turn up each session). They get given a geas by Sinjin to say nothing to the enemy about anything they’ve seen (we’ll come back to that later – its actually an important plot point in the last couple of sessions we’ve had through an interaction with its specific wording and a man's faltering loyalties) and charged with meeting another covert in Greenwhich, where something is going wrong with Time Itself… which is where the session ended and what we’ll look at next time.

So, who kidnapped Baltimore? Players, look away. It wasn't the Order. For their many flaws, the ruling members of the Order in Britain are as complicit in the peace as the Council is, and don't particularly want another English Civil War/30 Years War combo since it badly interrupted their plans last time. This is the first time the players have butted up against the Ksirafai, who were working a false flag to try and start a war. Like the Craftmasons, they're floating in the mix in ambiguous ways with their own agenda. Today, it was twofold: one, snatch and grab a courier they suspect is part of the Steering Committee, the English branch of the Craftmason-Traditionalist conspiracy; two, if they get caught, ignite enough local conflict they can exploit to make targeted assassinations on both sides of the fighting. Naturally, the players fall for it hook, line, and sinker, along with assuming Sinjin can't possibly have an ulterior motive in creating a deniable cabal that reports only to him.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've been trying to reconcile how bad W5 is with how much I want it to be good. Between the terrible prose, J.F. Sambrano's saga, and how just empty the version feels, I don't think it's possible. Apocalypse needed a lot of help, and a lot of changes were absolutely needed to bring the game around to something acceptable, but... this just doesn't seem to be it? Am I just hanging on to a game that can't really get better for nostalgia's sake?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mushika posted:

I've been trying to reconcile how bad W5 is with how much I want it to be good. Between the terrible prose, J.F. Sambrano's saga, and how just empty the version feels, I don't think it's possible. Apocalypse needed a lot of help, and a lot of changes were absolutely needed to bring the game around to something acceptable, but... this just doesn't seem to be it? Am I just hanging on to a game that can't really get better for nostalgia's sake?
It seems like you could backport good things back to WW20 pretty easily if you wanted. It depends what you're looking for, I suppose, since WW20 is going to pretty much be "Werewolf: the Apocalypse" and if you couldn't take the game mechanically, well, there ya go.

But if it's a question of fluff, fluff can be moved and hacked.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Oh, have we hit the “I can totally fix Beast if I just add a couple house rules…” point of the cycle already? That was fast.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like at some point, somebody is going to bite the bullet and figure out how to design a lore-heavy dark urban fantasy setting to replace the World of Darkness in its niche.

Sometimes in my more ill-advised moments I dream of building an Ascension spiritual successor, but fortunately, I have many other things that come first in the pipe to protect me from that fate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like at some point, somebody is going to bite the bullet and figure out how to design a lore-heavy dark urban fantasy setting to replace the World of Darkness in its niche.

Sometimes in my more ill-advised moments I dream of building an Ascension spiritual successor, but fortunately, I have many other things that come first in the pipe to protect me from that fate.
It will probably be an anime or something because RPGs are tacking hella away from containing the "necessary" heaps o' lore. Maybe this can be Ettin's next conquest of reality after doing HWI. Do Shadowrun, except good! And make it so we can take out the elves and poo poo!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The main three OS types in cyberpunk already loosely map onto the world of darkness splats. You've got "the laws of reality are what I say they are and your first mistake was choosing to exist on my level.", "Gotta go fast, no faster, faster, you're failing to understand my point." And "argle blargle I am too angry to die and also too angry to use ranged weapons." You could excuse clans away with poo poo like oh I've got the gangrel model haemevore implant. And gangs like maelstrom are evidence that there absolutely is no atom of our meat we people wouldn't be willing to bargain away for power.

Also, and more importantly, Ware Wolves.

I'm honestly disappointed in all of you guys for not making this joke already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurieg posted:

The main three OS types in cyberpunk already loosely map onto the world of darkness splats. You've got "the laws of reality are what I say they are and your first mistake was choosing to exist on my level.", "Gotta go fast, no faster, faster, you're failing to understand my point." And "argle blargle I am too angry to die and also too angry to use ranged weapons." You could excuse clans away with poo poo like oh I've got the gangrel model haemevore implant. And gangs like maelstrom are evidence that there absolutely is no atom of our meat we people wouldn't be willing to bargain away for power.

Sometimes they ditch the chrome and go into meditative disciplines.

Aware wolf

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Fuzz posted:

Deviant already has rules for playing a cyborg, it's always been cyberpunk.

Yep. Deviant is the game version of that “You best be believin’ in cyberpunk dystopias… cuz you’re livin’ in one!” meme

It’s also the fixed version of Beast, making all the “I can fix Beast” posts even more irrelevant.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kurieg posted:

extrapolate the OSes with the utility slot, you have to chose between grenades or optical camo so that makes at least 6 splats (berserk + camo = nosferatu)

maybe invent a third one for more variance

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Nessus posted:

It will probably be an anime or something.

I mean my idea involves fusing WOD with project moon which is kinda of anime...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Asterite34 posted:

That's just because cyberpunk is pretty much the real world now.

Came up in another thread that about the only way the WoD has left to go conceptually is no-poo poo actual space aliens, and now wondering how well that'd go with Deviant.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Requiem has supplement for 2ed about vampires in cyberpunk and vampires in space (with has devotion that lets you teleport from across space. Beam me up sherif

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mushika posted:

I'd look at Sambrano's stuff and maybe use their names for things because they do sound rad. Honestly Werewolf is like the Kindred of the East fan overhaul that came out and is quite good, you've got a lot of interesting things to explore you just need help with that's not from a White writer. Turns out KotE mostly needed name changes, it's quite wild.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dawgstar posted:

I'd look at Sambrano's stuff and maybe use their names for things because they do sound rad. Honestly Werewolf is like the Kindred of the East fan overhaul that came out and is quite good, you've got a lot of interesting things to explore you just need help with that's not from a White writer. Turns out KotE mostly needed name changes, it's quite wild.

I mean, that fan update is still deeply flawed and retains a lot of racist and misconstrued ideas, so let's not go nuts here.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Ferrinus posted:

In the cyberpunk future of the World of Darkness, the sun went out in 2020 at around the same time the Seers all got hunted down or raptured, the moon got roboticized and commodified as humanity's first true AI (adopting the Pure and forsaking the Forsaken as a result, such that the Twice-Forsaken had to seek out Helios's blessing instead) and the Free Council left the Pentacle around the same time as the Ordo Dracul joined it, leaving the Circle of the Crone to evolve into a God-Machine cult and the Sanctum to become a bunch of juggalos. Also the internet, Shadow, Hedge, and Temenos have all fused or at least interpenetrated at their peripheries and even normies can explore them with the right VR equipment, although they'd do well not to venture too far outside the bounds of what's nicknamed the "safety net" lest hobgoblins booby trap their crypto wallets or something.

Interesting. But where are the Beasts?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
dead

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

tatankatonk posted:

Interesting. But where are the Beasts?

Beasts are just a particular weird kind of monster you might run into out in Astral space, so in the cyberpunk WOD you could find them in the same places they exist in the B:tP corebook, like the edit histories of wikipedia articles, all-ages chatrooms, etc.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Anytime you see someone arguing very earnestly about the thematic content of children's cartoons on a shadily moderated website... be wary... you tread in the domain of Beasts

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay but how does Mummy fit into all this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think part of the problem here is that the really good games in this field tend to be about incredibly specific concepts that demand a high level of-buy-in and don't correspond to a lazy pre-existing trope -- so, like, Unknown Armies or Glitch or something -- whereas the World of Darkness's entire pitch is "here's the book for playing Dracula, he's the one for playing the Wolfman, here's the one for playing... Van Art Wizard?"

There are game lines (or at least books within individual game lines) in the oWod and nWoD that get genuinely weird, but the more they lean into it the more niche and sidelined the splat becomes. Not to mention that the system itself in both universes is more of a liability than a benefit.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2023

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Okay but how does Mummy fit into all this?

The same way it always has: very, very obliquely.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think part of the problem here is that the really good games in this field tend to be about incredibly specific concepts that demand a high level of-buy-in and don't correspond to a lazy pre-existing trope -- so, like, Unknown Armies or Glitch or something -- whereas the World of Darkness's entire pitch is "here's the book for playing Dracula, he's the one for playing the Wolfman, here's the one for playing... Van Art Wizard?"

There are game lines (or at least books within individual game lines) in the oWod and nWoD that get genuinely weird, but the more they lean into it the more niche and sidelined the splat beomes. Not to mention that the system itself in both universes is more of a liability than a benefit.

Fortunately, the really good game in this field, Mage: the Awakening, isn't about an extremely specific concept with no pre-existing popular conception but IS a spiritual successor to Ascension.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

The same way it always has: very, very obliquely.

Mummies are the Hans Moleman of the WoD universe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the antagonist of any Mummy game should be the British or Metropolitan Museums, and every game should be a heist.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Fuzz posted:

I mean, that fan update is still deeply flawed and retains a lot of racist and misconstrued ideas, so let's not go nuts here.

To circle back to this - what did or didn't the overhaul change, and what's still wrong with it?

I never read the original KotE, and back in the VtM Revised days I just knew that everyone online seemed to think KotE was insanely overpowered for some reason. In retrospect, I'm guessing this is like how a certain subset of D&D fans were die-hard certain that the 3.5e Monk was overpowered because it just has so many different features, look at it, it even stops aging!!

I read a treatment of KotE by I think Holden Shearer that sounds like the fan overhaul Dawgstar mentions - from what I could tell, it only changed A) names ("wan kuei" instead of "kuei jin", stuff like that) and B) who could become one of the wan kuei, specifying that in fact people who die in inauspicious circumstances claw their way back to life as lovely zombies all the world over, but it's mostly only in China, Japan, India, etc. that there exists a social infrastructure of former zombies who can teach you to graduate from eating flesh to drinking blood and so forth.

Is that actually the same thing Dawgstar's talking about, or does the more widely-known overhaul do it differently?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 29, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the overhaul they mean is The Relentless Age, by hsienfan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been wanting a Aliens blue book for the nWoD since 2004, 19 years ago.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Ferrinus posted:

I read a treatment of KotE by I think Holden Shearer that sounds like the fan overhaul Dawgstar mentions - from what I could tell, it only changed A) names ("wan kuei" instead of "kuei jin", stuff like that) and B) who could become one of the wan kuei, specifying that in fact people who die in inauspicious circumstances claw their way back to life as lovely zombies all the world over, but it's mostly only in China, Japan, India, etc. that there exists a social infrastructure of former zombies who can teach you to graduate from eating flesh to drinking blood and so forth.
Both of these were in the original line - “kuei-jin” was attempted propaganda by the Chinese courts for the war effort that everyone else mocked, and while the first book took a “no, in the West they become Risen” stance, from the Companion forward yulan-jin and Kŕnbujiŕn were part of the setting. IIRC the example yulan-jin was a white guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

Is that actually the same thing Dawgstar's talking about, or does the more widely-known overhaul do it differently?

It's Relentless Age, yeah. Like the one of the first things it does is jettison 'kuei jin' and just call them the Hungry Dead and whatever they're called in a specific country is whatever the words for 'hungry dead' are in that country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Nessus posted:

It will probably be an anime or something because RPGs are tacking hella away from containing the "necessary" heaps o' lore.

Is it Fate? I think it's Fate. Whenever I hear somebody who's actually invested in the Fate setting and not just gacha ladies go off about the deep lore everything about it pushes Mage the Ascension buttons in my brain. Unnecessarily complicated cosmology that on its surface draws from the collective impressions of human societies but in ways that are really particular and fiddly, mixtures of occult and technological terminology, a million preestablished characters whose personalities and adventures I can't be assed to learn, people who charge their MP by loving. Sometimes there are mages!

Sometimes the mages fight vampires!