Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the reason I, as a man, am not opposed to misandry is I find its validity confirmed by every example of a man arguing against it

the classic example of not wanting to join the sort of club that would have me as a member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

happyhippy posted:

I would say I am one of those, though I have never tried cocaine or other extreme stimulants.
I'd rather drink coffees and energy drinks than alcohol, and weed doesn't do much to make me relax.

This is me today. I was pretty wild in my 20s and for whatever reason my brain just doesn't like drugs anymore.

I've become really sensative to tannings so too much alcohol gives me a killer headache (before the hangover has even arrived)
Weed makes me super paranoid.
Mdma leaves me drained for days after and depreassed.
And ketamin leaves me incredibly nautious.

It turns out you can have fun without drugs, something I didn't believe when I was younger, but I do miss it a little on occasion.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lol good I'm glad. Who cares where the money is. The money came from people who donated to Dan Wooten's legal fund. They deserve to be parted from it. I only wish they had donated more, leaving them destitute

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A fool and their gold are easily parted and all that.

Does this mean he's just quietly dropping the defamation case too? lmao if so

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jakabite posted:

Coke is great but as soon as you get one person who can’t reel themselves in and moderate, it becomes a nightmare. The ‘it makes people into dickheads’ thing is largely a myth spouted by people who have barely ever been around it though - it makes people far too talkative and unable to listen if they’re inclined to that anyway, but it tends to make people a lot nicer in general.

My one experience with being around coke users, that I know, was living with one for a year and I know better than to generalise from that to other coke users but even the guy I'm talking about admitted it "brought out the oval office in him". Coming back to the house on a weekend was genuinely scary, you never knew what you were coming back to.

This guy... sober he was an average nerd like the rest of us. On coke he was teeth-grindingly antagonistic, needlessly cruel in a way that he seemed to find manically funny... I'm not going to say it was a complete change of character just that it selected for all the worst traits of his personality and turbo charged them. He'd get a particular glint in his eyes I'll never forget, like it was clear someone else was driving and you never knew in that mode how far he'd go. Like I'm not normally squeamish about drugs and especially wasn't in those days but this was the one exception and I'm about 50:50 on whether I blame the coke or the guy but when the two of them got together we all got out the house for our own protection.

quote:

I’m genuinely not sure I’ve ever seen someone get angry on gear.

Nowhere in that do I think he was motivated by anger, and it didn't come across as angry, maybe in a different setting it would've. Pick any pub and you'll see a lot more anger of a night. More like a cackling malevolance that after a morning of shades-on coffee drinking he'd be embarassed about. Happy for you that you've not found that to be true generally but at the same time I'm not surprised to hear someone else say the same.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To be fair, he's somewhat of an expert in giving regrettable opinions about women.

To be fair, he should never have backed down from that one. Didn't she turn out to be some kind of turbo racist, shocking absolutely nobody?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are enough “coke makes you into an annoying dickhead” stories even from people who like the stuff that it seems pretty open and shut that people who aren’t irritating cunts on it are the exception rather than the rule.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, he should never have backed down from that one. Didn't she turn out to be some kind of turbo racist, shocking absolutely nobody?

Yes, and that was why the electorate agreed with her and didn't vote Labour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

I think I might be on the ADHD spectrum because whenever I've done stimulants they just make me very calm and sometimes tired, which I understand is not the desired effect.

Same, although I know I'm adhd just unmedicated, though I am waiting on an appointment to see if I can go back on the drugs, see if it helps any.

But yeah basically I don't appear to be capable of experiencing the effect of stimulants.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1707709951882186755

lol and lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Loz gets shitcanned and the entire rest of GBNews run into the office, dicks in hand, screaming "feeeeeeeeeemaaalessss" and fall out of the window.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

What's an Agile Ceremony? Does that involve pledging yourself to Black Philip or something?

There's black robes, a pentagram and a goat involved. And you have to do it every two weeks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

to really rub the allitteration in he could have gone for "cairn" or "coven" or "cabal" or "conspiracy" of cancel culture

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Apparently this is why BaDDaSS was sacked suspended

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1707695254835491051

e: bonus lol

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1707703391617515524

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 29, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meanwhile another met cop is now on the hook for the shooting death of a guy in 2015 https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/29/police-watchdog-met-officer-who-shot-man-dead-in-2015-must-face-hearing

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

What did she actually say?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ex Coke head and ex AA / NA attendee here. AMA. Coke is far far easier to give up than booze imho , mainly because it’s not on sale 24/7 in every supermarket, corner shop, pub and restaurant

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao. They’re clearing out all the Cunts

https://twitter.com/calvinrobinson/status/1707708188621951418?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jippa posted:

Why is that relevant? What did she say when? Where? The point is she's never once suggested that anyone file false rape allegations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

"It would be better to have a mental health minister than a men's minister, because that would cover all the issues that people proposing a men's minister keep going on about."

Which Fox interpreted as "I don't care about male suicide" because he has a bunch of making GBS threads dicks where his brain should be.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Why is that relevant? She's never once suggested that anyone file false rape allegations.

I was just interested and I couldn't be bothered to sit through a a load of gb news clips.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Guavanaut posted:

"It would be better to have a mental health minister than a men's minister, because that would cover all the issues that people proposing a men's minister keep going on about."

We have a minister for mental health though, so I'm not sure what exactly she is getting at?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Ex Coke head and ex AA / NA attendee here. AMA. Coke is far far easier to give up than booze imho , mainly because it’s not on sale 24/7 in every supermarket, corner shop, pub and restaurant

Yeah I’ve just stopped hanging with the more cocainey of my friends and not found it too hard to cut back. Booze is loving this impossible though, and fitness is the only thing keeping me moderated. I figured out a bit ago that I’m fundamentally an addict, and cant afford therapy to stop that being the case, so it’s just a question of being addicted to the gym and trying to make my fledgling one man business work rather than coke and booze.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 29, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rugz posted:

We have a minister for mental health though, so I'm not sure what exactly she is getting at?
That having a dedicated men's minister is superfluous because all of the problems that keep being pointed at by MRA types would fall within the remit of that office were it given proper funding, so they're really just playing "why is there a women (and equalities) minister and no men's minister :reddit:"

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

That having a dedicated men's minister is superfluous because all of the problems that keep being pointed at by MRA types would fall within the remit of that office were it given proper funding, so they're really just playing "why is there a women (and equalities) minister and no men's minister :reddit:"

A lot of ministers would be superfluous if the minister with the wider brief covered everything. The entire cabinet is made up of ministers and undersecretaries that have portfolios based on breaking bits off. If 'We have a secretary for X who should cover Y' is an argument against having a minister for Y then presumably the same argument could be used to point out that we have a minister for state health and social care so why is there a minister for social care? Why do we have an undersecretary for housing and homelessness when we have a secretary of state for levelling up, housing and communities?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The way that certain right wing cunts have weaponised their attacks on her have been disgusting, to the point of having GBaby commentators making clearly defamatory claims on live national TV and directing their army of fuckwit neo-blackshirt supporters to attack her online. Ava must be looking over her shoulder 24/7, wondering if one of these fuckwits is going to approach her in person.

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1707269035602157569

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1707700118663663684

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rugz posted:

A lot of ministers would be superfluous if the minister with the wider brief covered everything. The entire cabinet is made up of ministers and undersecretaries that have portfolios based on breaking bits off. If 'We have a secretary for X who should cover Y' is an argument against having a minister for Y then presumably the same argument could be used to point out that we have a minister for state health and social care so why is there a minister for social care? Why do we have an undersecretary for housing and homelessness when we have a secretary of state for levelling up, housing and communities?
Because the undersecretary for housing and homelessness isn't a sop to MRAs, even though homelessness is one of the other issues they claim a men's minister is needed for.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Because the undersecretary for housing and homelessness isn't a sop to MRAs, even though homelessness is one of the other issues they claim a men's minister is needed for.

I don't particularly buy the 'We will fragment political briefs based on whether or not certain groups advocate for the issues that brief would cover' as a good way of structuring governmental departments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Neither is capitulating to every bad faith reactionary movement that's mostly mad that someone else gets a brief and they don't, especially when they're actively against the issues that they raise being covered by other departments.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

I don't particularly buy the 'We will fragment political briefs based on whether or not certain groups advocate for the issues that brief would cover' as a good way of structuring governmental departments.

This will end with you confessing sympathy for MRAs after another hundred or so bad faith garbage takes

I've read it in the flight of gb news talking heads

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This will end with you confessing sympathy for MRAs after another hundred or so bad faith garbage takes

I've read it in the flight of gb news talking heads

Only if you subscribe to the 'everything is either completely correct or completely incorrect' school or internet debate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm sure the Tories having a minister for men is going to be a good faith appointment to help men in society and not just giving some oval office extra salary to claim that false rape accusations are worse than dumb sluts getting raped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really can't imagine what good a "men's minister" could possibly do and if you think it's a good idea it's incumbent on you to argue why.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wild that the “police should be allowed to shoot people actually” poster is also a “well why dont we have a men’s rights minister it seems fair” poster too

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The same types of people who are calling for a specific men's mental minister were also screaming ALL LIVES MATTER every time BLM was mentioned, and who are also calling for the eradication of LGBT and women's rights etc. etc. It's all completely disingenuous manufactured culture-war bullshit.

Male suicide is an important issue that needs to be addressed (along with a huge list of every other important issue), but it shouldn't be allowed to be weaponised by these bunch of far-right grifting cunts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I really can't imagine what good a "men's minister" could possibly do and if you think it's a good idea it's incumbent on you to argue why.
The big three are mental health and suicide (but there's already a mental health brief), homelessness (already part of housing and homelessness), and disproportionate death and injury in the workplace (responsibility of HSE, who answer to health).

If they were calling for any of those three departments to do more to help working class men in work or not then I'd listen, but the biggest Fox/Wootton/Bridgen backers don't seem to care about the efficacy of any of those departments, so until they can give something other than "but what about the men" I remain highly suspicious.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Split the brief off from mental health and women's health strategy minister and do that good old fashioned ministerial thing that all other ministers do. Alternatively, don't split the brief and tell the current minister to get on with their job. However, since the starting point seems to be 'The job isn't being done' the latter seems a bit redundant.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wild that the “police should be allowed to shoot people actually” poster is also a “well why dont we have a men’s rights minister it seems fair” poster too

Do you have a reason why it isn't fair beyond 'Some advocates are wrong in the head'? Because I can find you fringe nutjobs advocating for a lot of things that have a place in society that you probably wouldn't want to bin just because of the association.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason we have ministers for, and more importantly, wider social movements advocating for, the specific advancement of women and "equalities" (i.e other groups of people who are disadvantaged in society) and the reason those will see support from leftists is because those people are being disadvantaged by an outside force. Women are primarily subjected to violence and mistreatment generally by men, LGBTQ people are primarily subjected to violence and mistreatment by cishet people, black people are primarily subjected to violence by white people, and all of those occur through the vehicle of social norms, those are most possible because it is sufficiently normal in society to be sexist, racist, and homophobic.

So people organize together in those groups to fight back against external forces. And this is significant for "men's issues" because if you have issues as a man, they are primarily caused by other men. So you can't realistically organize a "men's issues" group because the issues aren't really men's issues, they're issues experienced by some men because of things like patriarchy and capitalism, both of which are heavily enforced by other men and most importantly, which are also enforced more heavily against every other marginalized group on the planet. So if you want an activist group to fix men's problems then you have plenty of them to choose from, and if you try to just make a "men's rights" group then you're both going to have to exclude a lot of men from it because they're the ones causing your problems, or you're going to end up with "men's rights to be in charge and do whatever to everyone else" which is what a lot of those groups end up as.

Men's problems are primarily caused by other men, so "men" is not a coherent political advocacy category unless you define that advocacy by things external to it, which would primarily be "women". And I don't think we need a minister whose job it is to help men fight against women.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 29, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In an age when gender fluidity, inclusion and freedom should be the focus, why do some people want to split departments such as mental health into pigeonholed binary male/female sections? It's such backward and dangerous thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

By that logic we should not have a mental health minister then? Because what your own brain is telling you to do or not do isn't an outside force. What external force is the mental health minister fighting back against? I think you'll find that mental health issues are experienced because of other societal problems, problems activists could choose from to fix. But here we are, a mental health minister. Not a work/life balance minster, not a financial security minister, not a loneliness minister.