Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i also really liked just how nasty the vfx on rand's weaves looked as he cut through the knot -- it's the most sophisticated channeling he's ever done and you can see it visually and also it's really obviously tainted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

eke out posted:

i also really liked just how nasty the vfx on rand's weaves looked as he cut through the knot -- it's the most sophisticated channeling he's ever done and you can see it visually and also it's really obviously tainted

Also I just realized a very little thing in that same scene.

When Rand cuts moiraine's shield, he is channeling fire, and it comes from Lan's torch

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

He's a fuckup.

Now, is this something that the tea focuses on the darkest timeline, or is that really his previous lives

FORSAKEN: "This tea will show you who you really are, it is very empowering."

TEA: "You are a fuckup and no one in any of your past lives has liked you.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That was probably the show version of flicker flicker flicker.

Also they have to justify his hosed up memories before the arches somehow.

I appreciate that Ishy understands leaving mat alone with drugs is always a good plan for the maximum chaos outcome.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

withak posted:

FORSAKEN: "This tea will show you who you really are, it is very empowering."

TEA: "You are a fuckup and no one in any of your past lives has liked you.

It works well with Ishy telling Perrin that turning to the wolf side will bring him to the shadow, make them all doubt themselves and their real powers

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

withak posted:

What were we supposed to get from Mat's tea trip?

I took it as Ishamael being misleading, telling Mat that that's tea that'll show him his past lives, but instead giving him tea that'll give him a bad trip that makes him want to give up on existence. Father of Lies indeed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Anvaere and Barthanes were great

Aviendha poking at Perrin's prudishness was great, as was her settling her toh

"I will kill you" was great

Lanfear goin ham was great

Loial being polite to Elayne and Elayne drinking it up in front of an exasperated Nynaeve was great

Great setup for Siuan thinking Moiraine is a Darkfriend now, setting up dominoes for her eventual coup, for audience thinking Mat is going to the Shadow and gonna knife Rand, and for all hell to break loose in Falme

Only downsides are episodes are too short and there's too few of them (Bezos! :argh:)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Loial being polite to Elayne and Elayne drinking it up in front of an exasperated Nynaeve was great

I think that only maybe 1/3rd of that was to poke at Nyneave, the rest of it was just her being polite. She probably was thinking that "All my classes about Ogiers say don't try to interrupt them".

Also my coup theory seems a bit more likely.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah a lifetime of princess training is probably hard to shake off.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think the changes to the Siuan plotline really work, maybe the coup ends up seeming greyer, less like a naked power grab and more like "well everyone can see just how badly she hosed this all so it makes sense that her enemies have a clear opening to take over"

also: withholding Elaida from us may help that plot too. she comes in fresh and she might not seem as mean/openly stupid-evil as she does in the books, especially given how justifiably mad they'll be at Siuan

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 29, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The only thing I didn't like was how Lan and Moiraine didn't really object to following loving Lanfear into the Ways. I guess they didn't have a choice given the circumstances, but a little show of discomfort on their part would have helped.

Rand calling out to her for help is similarly weird. If you call a Forsaken to spring you out of jail, you should probably know in advance that they're going to kill shitloads of people for fun on the way. Again, I guess he didn't have much of a choice, though.

The good news is that both of my objections might be addressed in the next episode.

Still, I gasped when I realized that Lanfear got all dressed up in white to go on a mass shooting. Seeing her unleashed was one of the most awe-inspiring things in the show yet.

Based on the preview, I'm guessing the person Rand is looking up at and asking "Who are you?" is Lews Therin. I don't know whether he's seeing him from madness or the Horn.

I'm also guessing:

• The stinger (akin to the Seanchan arrival for S1) is multiple Forsaken being awoken by Ishamael in frustration over being defeated.
  • It starts with a flashback to the Age of Legends, though I don't know if it'll be the Dragonmount prologue or something establishing Lews, Lanfear, and Ishamael's relationship. I hope the former!

I have some objections to choices they made, but I'm liking it way more than season 1. I hope they can stick the landing in a way they couldn't last season.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 29, 2023

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

i think the changes to the Siuan plotline really work, maybe the coup ends up seeming greyer, less like a naked power grab and more like "well everyone can see just how badly she hosed this all so it makes sense that her enemies have a clear opening to take over"

also: withholding Elaida from us may help that plot too. she comes in fresh and she might not seem as mean/openly stupid-evil as she does in the books, especially given how justifiably mad they'll be at Siuan

That was a big reason so many Aes Sedai followed Elaida in the coup. She had enough proof that Siuan had been working with the Dragon Reborn and keeping it secret, this makes it more clear though as a lot of that happened off screen in the books.

And the weaves from Rand were noticeably cooler, with a couple different colors representing elements. The more pale white seems to be Spirit and the orange looks to be Fire.

Already missing Gaul though. And the Mat bit I can't see where they're going with it, but hopefully they cover it more in the next episode.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This is the first time I’m going to be more down on an episode than the thread at large. It had the same feel as the slog: I get that they are maneuvering pieces into place, and it wasn’t wholly unenjoyable, but drat they just did not stick the landing in too many scenes. Lan’s little talk with Rand before he goes to see the Amyrlin was pitiful, and then Rand drops a line Lan didn’t say and Siuan somehow recognizes that Lan got to him? How did Lan know more about the Age of Legends than any of the Brown sisters Moiraine has been hanging out with? Where did he discover that you can cut tied-off knots, and why did Logain see something so different from what Rand did (Logain described thousands of strands in an intricate weave, and we/Rand saw a grapefruit-sized blip). What purpose did Egwene’s little training scene serve, since we already know she’s mad powerful? Why did the show make Siuan suddenly want to uphold Tower law, when her letting Rand go would have served just as well as fodder for the coup and would have been far more in keeping with her book character?

Pretty much all the scenes with Alanna or her warders were flat and lifeless, unlike previous episodes. Not sure if the fault lies with the script writers for the uninspired lines (“oh I wish I could be on a farm” “did you think the last battle would be against kittens” You’re a goddamn warder!), or with the director for requesting/accepting such bland delivery.

That’s even before more editing/postprocessing shenanigans. There were multiple lines in the subtitles that were different from what the characters on screen said, and in one case simply weren’t spoken by a character. That line could charitably have been delivered by Maiden handtalk, but (1) I couldn’t tell because the screen was too dark to make out any details, and (2) this would have been the first line to be given subtitles for handtalk, so there’s no reason to expect such a thing.

All in all, a disappointing episode despite the fact that it had a few great character moments.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grundulum posted:

That’s even before more editing/postprocessing shenanigans...

All in all, a disappointing episode despite the fact that it had a few great character moments.

The editing is actively bad. I posted this in the TV thread but there were 15 cuts in 11 seconds during her fiery entrance. Go back and rewatch scene with Rand asking Lanfear for help. Count the number of needless cuts between the two. Plain bad.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

WHERE IS GAUL DAMMIT

Is Perrin gonna be Gaul?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

No fail?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

William Bear posted:

The good news is that both of my objections might be addressed in the next episode.

This happens so often in this show. It has to be on purpose, at least some of it.

William Bear posted:

Based on the preview, I'm guessing the person Rand is looking up at and asking "Who are you?" is Lews Therin. I don't know whether he's seeing him from madness or the Horn.

I got two thoughts, either It was Rand seeing Mat but seeing that Mat's under some kind of strong duress, his friend isn't really there.

Or...some of the other Forsaken get released and it was one of them wearing mask of mirrors

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

You think they are gonna have rand with 3 girlfriends still?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Mat+min
Perrin Avi
Rand elayne

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Harton posted:

You think they are gonna have rand with 3 girlfriends still?

yes and he'll cherish them all

Harton posted:

Mat+min
Perrin Avi
Rand elayne

no! no!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My bet is its more elayne + aviendha + (rand is allowed in the room)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Pretty disappointed with cat crosses the courtyard after Rafe hyped it up on Twitter. If they want to use janky 15 cut editing, give me a flashy fashion model catwalk scene with Rand strutting into that throne room! :argh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, the rapid cuts thing seems to be targeted. It only happens when the explosions happen. Then it cuts to a more stable longer shot of Lanfear being Lanfear doing her thing, then boom 3 or 4 rapid cuts.

Also, to put on my tinfoil hat...

We see the seals are physically in Ishy's room in Falme. Everyone knows that Lanfear would stab Ishy in the back and is planning on it. Even Ishy. She's doing Ishy's bidding by helping Rand get to Falme. But what if she actually wants to support Rand and trust that he'll kill Ishy so she can get the seals.

She absolutely thinks she can manipulate the others to her plans. Ishy's harder to manipulate cause he's a true believer.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

The editing is actively bad. I posted this in the TV thread but there were 15 cuts in 11 seconds during her fiery entrance. Go back and rewatch scene with Rand asking Lanfear for help. Count the number of needless cuts between the two. Plain bad.

It was bad and looked cheap. Set it in Vancouver snd it could have been Stargate SG1

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

This episode felt kind of rushed. The editing was kind of weak and occasionally jarringly bad, and the writing felt more like the end of season 1. I hope it's because all the effort went into the 8th episode.

A lot of the acting carries it to still be much better that last season. Ishamael and Lanfear are great, Verin is great and seems to improve the writing in any scene she's in, and the Loial/Elayne/Nynaeve scene was perfect.

Not sure why they didn't use the Egwene scene to establish her particular strength in Earth. That was basically the point of the part of the books that was mostly inspired by, and without it the scene didn't really do much. Also, the 1-to-1 pairing of Damane and Sul'dam that they seemed to set up raises many questions. Like how Renna already knows how to do any of the training and weaving if Egwene is her first and only Damane.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lanfear rules

The Aiel rule

Exasperated Nynaeve rules

Siuan and Moiraine being happy rules but Siuan and Moiraine being unhappy does not rule

I like how the show's set up Verin and Alanna being aligned in advance of their trip to the Two Rivers

Also she's a super minor character but Yassica's fun and I hope they find a minor Brown from the books to merge her with so she can stick around

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I have to say that I really didn't expect leaving weaves tied off to be a lost skill.

After Logain told Lan about the tied off shield, the comment about the knot being super intricate, etc. that it would lead to Siuan using her skill learned as a fisherman's daughter to untie that knot blindly. Especially when they showed Rand's cut attempt being so unsteady and unsure. I thought he would fail at cutting - maybe even making it look like he attacked Moiraine. Then Siuan would come in again, cut him off and threaten him before everything was cleared up.

Also, I found it hilarious how quickly and easily they solved the "Mat is in Cairhien, not in Falme" problem.

Finally, I actually found it cool that they first showed Maiden handtalk, then they showed Maiden handtalk again with a small spoken response to it, and then they showed Maiden handtalk AGAIN with subtitles. It mirrors (in a very short time) what they've done with introducing various WoT concepts.

Edit: Also the small horror of showing the Oath sworn on the Oath Rod being magically enforced. Parallels to Damane and the A'dam.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 29, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

Seanchan has the "lesser Blight" that is presumably still awful and unlivable but all the Trollocs and other Shadowspawn there were exterminated centuries or perhaps millennia ago. That's why the Seanchan were so sure they were myths.

Oh, I forgot about that weird Seanchan-crap about wiping out all Shadowspawn. Back then I just assumed RJ was winking at the camera here with what was obviously propaganda :v:

Too bad RJ then died, I'd have liked to see if my hunch was right.

And of course we know basically nothing about Shara. I guess it's now Mordor, colonized by Trollocs

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nion posted:

Also, the 1-to-1 pairing of Damane and Sul'dam that they seemed to set up raises many questions. Like how Renna already knows how to do any of the training and weaving if Egwene is her first and only Damane.

There wasn't anything about this being Renna's first time. Or that Sul'dam only ever link with one damane ever.

"Being awarded a damane is both a recognition of your contributions and an investment in your future within our empire. You should all be very proud"

It seems likely that they brought extra sul'dam with the expectation of finding more women who can channel.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

There wasn't anything about this being Renna's first time. Or that Sul'dam only ever link with one damane ever.
Yeah, sul'dam do have to train. I wouldn't be surprised if a damane is assigned mainly to a single sul'dam, but can still get loaned out to other sul'dam or sul'dam in training.

When they are good enough, they can then get the chance of being assigned a damane as a reward. Basically a "junior" sul'dam vs "senior" sul'dam thing.

Also the point about them bringing extra sul'dam (and a'dam) in expectation of leashing the many, many marath'damane is also something from the books, IIRC.

I mean, we know that there should be many more sul'dam than damane. So in Seanchan it would be much harder to get assigned a damane (maybe 1:10 or so? don't know if there are hard numbers about the numbers of spark vs able to learn). That would be a really good motivator to join the Return.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
did i blink and miss the daes dae'mar from the title???

this episode was really bad. they can't decide whether they want the forsaken to be blood-dripping demons from hell or just untrustworthy guys you can have uneasy truces with. echo others on the terrible editing, the colour grading was also disgusting on the mat tripping / foregate exploding / slave training scenes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure the daes dae'mar, the great game is what Moiraine, Ishy, and Lanfear are doing. I mean, they spent the whole episode basically cooperating, maneuvering the Dragon Reborn to the place he's supposed to be for different ends.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I get that "fantasy TV show cutting repeatedly and pointlessly to a map" is a dumb trope and Randland geography is pretty meaningless anyway especially once they get fast travel, but couldn't they have at least suggested that the Aiel Waste is more than like a day's walk away from where Perrin met Aviendha?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

All these different looks are incredible. I really dig the AOL 3000 True Power Pant Suit :laugh:

"Can you help me?"

*screams, explosions and fireballs*

10/10 ep

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure what you're referencing, but there was a line in an earlier episode about Aiel spotted on Almoth Plain, that's where Perrin met up with them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm not sure what you're referencing, but there was a line in an earlier episode about Aiel spotted on Almoth Plain, that's where Perrin met up with them.

Yeah it's kinda confusing because the whole landscape is scrubland wilderness, they're all on Toman head and no where near the waste.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hexel posted:

All these different looks are incredible. I really dig the AOL 3000 True Power Pant Suit :laugh:

"Can you help me?"

*screams, explosions and fireballs*

10/10 ep

Would watch an entire show of Lanfear bursting people's heads and serving lewks. Lews was an idiot to let this girl get away

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm hella stoked for next week but I am also telling myself that nothing they do outside of filming the images in my head is going to make me completely happy. I still remember reading the end of TGH 23 years ago, I remember feeling a tingle run down my spine when Mat blows the horn and fog rolls in. Nothing is gonna match that. But still, looking forward to it and been enjoying this take on the story so far.

The aiel are perfect though, please for the love of the light let them get to Rhuidean and do it right.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I’m just in it for the visual representation at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hexel posted:

Yeah it's kinda confusing because the whole landscape is scrubland wilderness, they're all on Toman head and no where near the waste.

Oh I see. I completely thought that arid desert they were in was meant to be the Waste