Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trump is lying and/or making poo poo up, as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dubar posted:

Keep in mind a lot of republicans are even dumber than you think they are and/or are true believers, so this may be the first time they are exposed to the fact that there is not in fact any evidence

I remember when Hillary was getting grilled for hours on end about her servers and one of the few R's I knew (ex co-worker) of that actually tried to pay attention would apparently just holler at the TV about this or that conspiracy theory.

In the end he thought the whole thing was a sham and the people responsible for grilling her clearly, CLEARLY, threw the case. Pointing out that the people grilling her were Republicans immediately made him mad and said they were RINO's.

Later he would go on to pretend all that never happened and Hillary was still guilty because of [insert conspiracy theory here] which was vaguely brought up and never outlined or gone into in detail.

To my knowledge even that kinda went away after a while. He'd moved onto a whole raft of other conspiracy theories and Q bullshit. I dunno how he is now but I wouldn't be surprised if he is a J6'er. Or wishes he was at least.

Anyways point is that the true believers aren't going to be effected by this or change their tune 1 bit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

What is Trump talking about when he says that Biden wasn't going to visit the striking auto workers and only did so after Trump said he would? Do we have details about Biden's plans?

Isn't Trump specifically not visiting striking auto workers but Drake Enterprises, a non-union plant?

Furthermore, wasn't Biden invited specifically by the union, and Trump was invited specifically by Drake Enterprises management?

Trump is a notorious serial liar who's facing countless lawsuits for various flavors of fraud, baseless defamation, and lying to the federal government.

There's no particular reason to assume he didn't just make it up out of whole cloth.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

small butter posted:

What is Trump talking about when he says that Biden wasn't going to visit the striking auto workers and only did so after Trump said he would? Do we have details about Biden's plans?

Isn't Trump specifically not visiting striking auto workers but Drake Enterprises, a non-union plant?

Furthermore, wasn't Biden invited specifically by the union, and Trump was invited specifically by Drake Enterprises management?

Trump did announce his speech publicly first (you seem to know the answers to the other questions - he was invited by the owner and not the workers. He's not speaking to union workers, etc.)

Biden announced he was sending the Labor Secretary first, but didn't publicly announce he was going until about two days later.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Trump is going "Biden is copying me!!" basically.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump did announce his speech publicly first (you seem to know the answers to the other questions - he was invited by the owner and not the workers. He's not speaking to union workers, etc.)

Biden announced he was sending the Labor Secretary first, but didn't publicly announce he was going until about two days later.

So were the Drake Enterprises workers even striking? If not, Trump visited them after being invited by management to do what, exactly? How does this visit even tie into the UAW strike?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

small butter posted:

So were the Drake Enterprises workers even striking? If not, Trump visited them after being invited by management to do what, exactly? How does this visit even tie into the UAW strike?

Photo op all around. That’s the reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

small butter posted:

You’re putting way more thought into this than yromp did.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Drake Enterprises was not a union shop - it wasn't on strike. It also has like 150 workers but there were 500 people at the rally, and the bonus attendees - assuming even that the Drake workers showed up - appeared to be entirely local GOP enthusiasts.

note the timing on this, this is Trump both avoiding and trying to pre-empt the GOP debate.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

small butter posted:

Autoworkers are on strike in Michigan. Trump visits autoworkers in Michigan. He even announced his plan to visit autoworkers in Michigan during the strike before Biden did, so Republicans can say he's just copying them. That Biden joined the picket line with striking workers while Trump visited a nonunion shop is too nuanced for most coverage that an average voter would notice.

I'd mock it as cargo cult campaigning but... the cult is right? Provide the trappings of an event or rally and the media'll cover it just like a real one.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

zoux posted:

I thought the loss of chairmanship was automatic under Senate rules?

https://twitter.com/banditelli/status/1707002393819546082

I keep promoting this stuff because I truly believe that the way to permanent Democratic majorities and therefore good government policy lies in rebuilding the strength of labor unions, that all our thoughts should be bent on it, and this is an unprecedented level of support for organized labor from a modern, and perhaps any, president. Also because naming the head of the UAW Sinn Fein is a little on the nose.

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1707207904854523998

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
He'd call the them up and ask them not to strike.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Byzantine posted:

And what do they have to show for it? So far the DSA's accomplishments are:

1. killing the progressive parts of BBB at the command of the ghouls
2. strikebreaking
3. crocodile tears while voting to mulch Palestinians
4. sad photo ops at the still-operational border camps
5. epic clapbacks on the twitters and at the fancy parties they get invited to now that they've been consumed by the establishment

Could you link to each of the incidents you're referring to?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/MariannaReports/status/1707550783305117850

I can't say anything in the past year has been a ringing endorsement of Emmer's whipping but I get it. Any time you can let a DUI enthusiast take the wheel for the party, you kind of have to.

Also, Jayapal is the first Dem with any sway I've heard hint towards what McCarthy will have to give up to have Dems help avert a shutdown or survive a vote on his gavel

quote:

“If there was any kind of a deal to be made, it would need to be written into the rules of the House,” she said Thursday afternoon. “We would need to codify power-sharing because that’s the only way we can trust him.”

“There are things we can do in codifying the rules of the House that would give Hakeem Jeffries, our leadership, real power over the floor, over committees, etc,” she added of the House minority leader.

She said that she and other progressives had “identified a whole menu of options” as they mull how to craft such an arrangement.

quote:

“We had this conversation today in CPC, and we had it a week ago with our CPC executive board,” Jayapal said, referring to the 102-member Congressional Progressive Caucus, which she chairs. “Nobody should rely on us to save McCarthy.”

Jayapal added that they’d homed in on power-sharing because it’s ironclad

Jeffries and other Dems (Lieu) have publicly stated that as a body, the Dems have not contemplated what they'd demand from McCarthy and were unlikely to do so until the request is made

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Kale posted:

Yeah its quaint as poo poo watching Star Trek now and its largely optimistic outlook on humanities future at least where the Federation is concerned. We cant even decide if transgender people should be allowed to go the bathroom anymore, you think we are going to found this vast intergalactic Federation based on mutual respect, the greater good, tolerance and peace? Try hurling insults at one another over subspace 24/7 and being 5 times as paranoid as when they started requiring blood samples cause literal genocidal changelings were actually out there that could look like anyone.

If anything it'll be like the mirror universe episode of Enterprisw where the vulcans land and come iln peace and Mirror Cochrane just shotguns them and steals all their poo poo. Those guys have pointy ears and argue about logic and reason a lot.....sure sounds kind of....WOKE! GET EM!!!

I see this argued a bit about Star Trek. People tend to forget that by the time Cochrane's test flight of the first warp core happened, Earth had already suffered under several major conflicts (the Eugenics Wars and a limited-scale nuclear Third World War being the main ones, for example) and humanity was probably on the process of killing itself before first contact with the Vulcans. And even then, it took around a good one hundred years or so to work everything out to the point where humanity could even suggest such a Federation forming.

The hopeful message surrounding Star Trek becomes more clear when you remember that, speaking of a humanity that emerged wiser and stronger out of unnecessary and costly conflicts and wars that served to almost annihiliate themselves and their planet; especially then, considering the Vulcans also suffered the same path, and managed to avert themselves from disaster through a philosophy of peace and logic (a diaspora of their species resulting in the Romulans nonwithstanding).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Koos Group posted:

Could you link to each of the incidents you're referring to?

Sure.

1. killing the progressive parts of BBB at the command of the ghouls (if you don't recall since this was 2021, this was the CPC buckling and allowing BBB to be split into two bills, then passing the moderate one in exchange for a pinky-promise that the other would go through)
2. strikebreaking
5. epic clapbacks on the twitters and at the fancy parties they get invited to now that they've been consumed by the establishment ('Tax the Rich' dress, etc. Searching twitter is a massive pain in the butt these days)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Youngkin’s tenure in VA so far has been mired in LGBT hate politics, book burning culture war nonsense, and robbing the state of revenue sources to please a portion of his base. I really wonder what his team thinks he would have to offer in a national campaign that would be competitive with Trump.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Byzantine posted:

Sure.

1. killing the progressive parts of BBB at the command of the ghouls (if you don't recall since this was 2021, this was the CPC buckling and allowing BBB to be split into two bills, then passing the moderate one in exchange for a pinky-promise that the other would go through)
2. strikebreaking
5. epic clapbacks on the twitters and at the fancy parties they get invited to now that they've been consumed by the establishment ('Tax the Rich' dress, etc. Searching twitter is a massive pain in the butt these days)

So it sounds like the DSA set an incredibly low bar, yet the Greens can't even make it over that.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Tiny Timbs posted:

Youngkin’s tenure in VA so far has been mired in LGBT hate politics, book burning culture war nonsense, and robbing the state of revenue sources to please a portion of his base. I really wonder what his team thinks he would have to offer in a national campaign that would be competitive with Trump.

in my estimation, the Reasonable Conservative vote, which currently has about seven people aiming for it, five of which didn't poll high enough to make yesterday's debate

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Probably just seeking name recognition, either for next time or for the wingnut media circuit. Almost all the losers running in the primary seem to understand they don’t have a chance unless trump dies. They’re doing it for the exposure.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jaxyon posted:

So it sounds like the DSA set an incredibly low bar, yet the Greens can't even make it over that.

It sounds like Byzantine is confusing the CPC and one member of the House for the entire DSA, and using a set of random actions to claim they have done nothing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Byzantine posted:

Sure.

2. strikebreaking

For comparison, here's a list of accomplishments in green party history. I think the list is complete.

1. Splitting enough votes for Bush to win Florida in 2000 (this one is debatable but I included it to be as complete as possible)
2. Grifting 7 million dollars for useless recounts from Democrats who were upset that Trump won in 2020 edit: and violating campaign finance laws with it

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 29, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fuckin love the green party because they mostly just exist as a conceptual spoiler, but they're literally so bad at everything they do that they 100% waste the money of the special interests that buy into them to try to promote vote splitting

See also: libertarian party

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

small butter posted:

If Biden made an appearance at the world's largest ball of twine, I guarantee that Trump would visit a much smaller ball of twine and claim it was bigger than the one Biden visited, that Biden was actually copying him and he totally planned to visit this ball of twine a long time ago, well before Biden even knew about the twine, and in fact, Biden actually hates twine and is secretly plotting with China to ship all the twine overseas.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, that Drudge story is about Glenn Youngkin.

Youngkin would be incredibly stupid if he takes them up on this offer. I'm shocked that these donors and activists are actually willing to put money and time behind the obviously doomed idea that adding another person to the race will finally bring Trump down.

Youngkin is taking these meetings and not ruling it out, but he seems to at least be more clear-eyed about this than the donors and party leaders:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1707450136257843537

Rob Costa, who reported on all of this, also recognizes that part of this is delusion:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1707457172622159965

Are we just seeing an inverse 2012, where instead of primary voters desperately trying out every not-Romney we have donors/politicos desperately searching for the mythic winning not-Trump?

haveblue posted:

Trump is lying and/or making poo poo up, as usual

Let's not be too hasty ruling out a hefty dose of being too stupid to know that not all Michigan auto workers are in a union.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Remember Curt Schilling? He's still an rear end in a top hat

Curt Schilling is having a Hall of Fame week at being human scum

Revealing Tim Wakefield's cancer diagnosis against his wishes and sharing Nazi propaganda is a despicable, yet unsurprising combo for the former Boston star

quote:

The longtime Red Sox pitcher’s exacta of idiocy played out this week with his intentions descending further into foolishness at every turn. It was first brought to light that Schilling shared the cancer diagnosis of former teammate Tim Wakefield without the family’s permission. Schilling even admitted that he didn’t know if Wakefield wanted the news shared. Schilling’s revelations didn’t stop there, also saying that Wakefield’s wife, Stacy, has pancreatic cancer.

Why did Schilling decide to share the news without checking with the Wakefield family? Apparently, it’s because he’s seen the “power of prayer work” and his faith and beliefs trump any confidentiality the Wakefields wanted.

The Red Sox acknowledged the ordeal on Thursday, putting out a statement.

“We are aware of the statements and inquiries about the health of Tim and Stacy Wakefield,” Boston’s statement read. “Unfortunately, this information has been shared publicly without their permission. Their health is a deeply personal matter they intended to keep private as they navigate treatment and work to tackle this disease. Tim and Stacy are appreciative of the support and love that has always been extended to them and respectfully ask for privacy at this time.”

Putting further credence to how much of an abhorrent individual Schilling is was evident on his social media, where he reposted a message condoning Nazism and antisemitism earlier this week.

https://deadspin.com/nazi-play-call-tim-mcfarland-beachwood-high-school-ohio-1850883398

Reminder that this long time free market conservative took millions of dollars to start a video game company that never produced a game

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
They did produce a game, Kingdoms of Amular.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jesus III posted:

They did produce a game, Kingdoms of Amular.

Published, yes. Developed? Hell no. They just bought a different studio who already had a game in development, added the setting of 38 Studios' Amalur universe or whatever, and then released it. It did well, but that has basically nothing to do with Curt Schilling, as evidenced by his huge MMO plan going up in smoke as well as the entire economy of Rhode Island.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Dianne Feinstein is announced as dead; culprit may be old age or wolves

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AsInHowe posted:

Gavin Newsom found standing over her body

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kirk_bado/status/1707737779650605382

Yeah, multiple outlets are reporting

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1707736297115115667

Politico has it, it’s real

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
well drat, maybe 90 is to old to sit in seats of power

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

World Famous W posted:

well drat, maybe 90 is to old to sit in seats of power

Agreed let's get all the current people in the seats of power to vote something to limit that, what's that their 85% Dinosaurs?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

socialsecurity posted:

Agreed let's get all the current people in the seats of power to vote something to limit that, what's that their 85% Dinosaurs?

I always thought the way to get age limits passed would be to have a retirement age of 75, but it doesn't apply to any incumbents. Eventually they'll die or lose reelection, and you'd have all under 75s from that time onward.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if her staff bothered planning for this contingency.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
my heart goes out to her staffers who were this close to getting their weekend at bernies rig set up before the news leaked

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gotta love the staffers who were like, "Oh, she's fine, never been better" when she was literally days away from death

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Angry_Ed posted:

Published, yes. Developed? Hell no. They just bought a different studio who already had a game in development, added the setting of 38 Studios' Amalur universe or whatever, and then released it. It did well, but that has basically nothing to do with Curt Schilling, as evidenced by his huge MMO plan going up in smoke as well as the entire economy of Rhode Island.

The Kingdoms of Amalur MMO was actually basically finished, but when the company went under the state of Rhode Island became the owner as they tried to recoup their lost loan money.

Someone could unironically run for Governor of Rhode Island on a campaign of releasing the Kingdoms of Amalur MMO and be able to follow through on that promise shortly after being elected.

Rhode Islanders, tear yourself away from your horrible clam pizzas and pizzas with no cheese cut into strips and make this happen.

AsInHowe posted:

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Gavin Newsom last night?

Edit: Doh, someone beat me to this joke already.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 29, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh neat. huh.

well atleast im not having a cold existential sweat like when that SCOTUS died.

....should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
How quickly can an interim senator be appointed?