Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

blarzgh posted:

"Dak Prescott Isn't one of the 5 best QBs of All Time" isnt the insult you think it is

How frustrating it it is to have to agree 100 % with a post by a Cowboy homer fan but that is the world we live in now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean, in the last 20 years or so, just about the only super bowl winning teams have been helmed by an all time great QB or had an all time great defense, or both. You basically need one or the other. A mid-tier guy with a mid-tier defense is never gonna get over the hump.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think the nfl will allow great defenses to win anymore

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
For a bit defense didnt matter and the last two winners didn't have the greatest but defense still matters

https://jaydpauley.medium.com/analysis-of-the-offensive-and-defensive-ranks-for-super-bowl-champions-2dbb354ebb60

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Doltos posted:

For a bit defense didnt matter and the last two winners didn't have the greatest but defense still matters

Those Eli helmed Superbowl teams proving that you don't even have to be particularly good on either side of the ball!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ayudo posted:

Those Eli helmed Superbowl teams proving that you don't even have to be particularly good on either side of the ball!

The 2011 team was the worst team to ever win a Super Bowl but the 07 team had an elite defense that was injured all year and got healthy at the right time. The offense also clicked in the playoffs but wasn't awful in the regular season. The rushing attack was top 10 in all measurable stats too.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Ayudo posted:

The 2011 team wasn't good but the 2007 team was very good AND peaked at the right time. The next year with essentially the same team they were I think 9-1 and then The Plaxico Incident completely derailed them

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The 2011 defense was also pretty hurt most of the year before the playoffs but got healthy at the right time. Justin Tuck in particular was dealing with injury that year if I remember correctly. So they went in looking worse than they actually were and the defense did work that postseason, shutting out Atlanta completely and keeping Green Bay/Sf/ NE held down just enough. Eli/Nicks/Cruz was that year's savior

The 2007 team was great and people always discount them and I think conflate them with the 2011 squad more than they should

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 29, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nicks was awesome that post season. The memory of him getting away from Atlanta defenders and doing the dirty bird in the end zone will be burned in my brain forever.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Nicks signed my 2011 NFC champions hat before the Dallas game. He was the best.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If Dallas was smart they'd give everything to minesdotta for jefferson

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

predicto posted:

How frustrating it it is to have to agree 100 % with a post by a Cowboy homer fan but that is the world we live in now

I'm sorry to have done this to you

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

If Dallas was smart they'd give everything to minesdotta for jefferson

I think it would be funnier to trade Dak for Cousins though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Ayudo posted:

Sorry, I'll dumb it down for you.

The narrative around Peyton Manning prior to 2007 was that he couldn't play in the post season. No one regards him that way anymore, but plenty of people were ready to close the book on him before he was 30.

that narrative was correct, he was carried through that postseason by Bob Sanders against a cupcake draw. he was bad in his next three superbowl appearances. that little Do The Same Four Things Every Time check check offense almost always came up short when it ran into well prepared, well coached defenses in the playoffs. Eli was way better under pressure against good defenses in the postseason, 2006 was the only time Peyton looked (sorta) like his regular season self

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The 2011 Giants would have lost to the Niners by double digits in the CCG if Ted Ginn was healthy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yep, that ruled. Ruined a kid's life for a Super Bowl, would do it again

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
what's the going rate of kids to super bowls these days

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toaster Beef posted:

what's the going rate of kids to super bowls these days

Check the Make-a-Wish registry, I guess

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
it's the Make-a-Wish No Sweat SGP of the Week® presented by Draft Kings™ where a portion* of the rake goes to subsidizing funeral costs

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

indigi posted:

it's the Make-a-Wish No Sweat SGP of the Week® presented by Draft Kings™ where a portion* of the rake goes to subsidizing funeral costs

:stare:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You joke but the NFL still does all their breast cancer stuff with Suzy coleman foundation which is the most scumbag cancer scam in existence. They keep like 90% of everything and the rest goes to "awareness". Not research, not access to screening/treatment/support. Advertising for breast cancer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

I don’t think the nfl will allow great defenses to win anymore

2017 jags was their last chance to allow it in the funniest way possible

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
has anyone called the Eagles the Sméagols cause they lost the ring in an unfair contest against the league's protagonist (Mahomes)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

indigi posted:

has anyone called the Eagles the Sméagols cause they lost the ring in an unfair contest against the league's protagonist (Mahomes)

Eagles fan here. What was unfair about it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
the equipment manager secretly gave Jaylen Hurts a pair of gloves with butter on them in the first half

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smeagol end up with the ring so bad analogy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
we're still in the first book give it time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Brotherly shove is resulting in rugby rear end line of scrimmages

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, this PHI v WSA game has all the hallmarks of one of those "how did the Eagles blow this?" games that they seem to have every loving year. Somehow, they're going to split with at least two of DAL, WAS and NYG and only the first one is acceptable.

Right now, the ball is bouncing Washington's way in a manner that makes me uncomfortable.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, this PHI v WSA game has all the hallmarks of one of those "how did the Eagles blow this?" games that they seem to have every loving year. Somehow, they're going to split with at least two of DAL, WAS and NYG and only the first one is acceptable.

Right now, the ball is bouncing Washington's way in a manner that makes me uncomfortable.

Was literally just complaining to my dad about the lack of pressure on Howell so far and the defense looking unprepared right when the sack happened. Still not convinced the birds seem unprepared for today’s game so far, so I agree as far as dropping this one being likely!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hurts looks very slow this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That Hurts throw was gorgeous

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Well, Commanders did better than I would have thought. Still sucks losing to Eagles and being 2-2.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Eagles blew that whole drive

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ITS OVERTIME CLOWNBALL TIME BABY

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

ITS OVERTIME CLOWNBALL TIME BABY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005