Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mental health issues affect everybody and are frequently caused by things external to the individual. And most importantly, because they affect all sorts of people, the existence of the mental health minister does not imply the existence of a coherent outgroup for the mentally unhealthy to be fighting against and even if it did, that outgroup wouldn't be "women" i.e a group of people who are already having a poo poo time of it.

Once again, "men" is not a coherent category of political organization because men already occupy the dominant position among equivalent categories, and thus their problems are primarily caused by other men and therefore you can't advocate for "men" generally any more than you can advocate for "white people's rights" for example, without necessarily implying "to fight against people who aren't part of the group" and when everyone in the outgroup categories are already relatively disadvantaged, that means advocating for the right to oppress.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rugz posted:

By that logic we should not have a mental health minister then?
And there's the bat signal of bad faith arguing detected, and my signal to find something better to do with my time and energy

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

Split the brief off from mental health and women's health strategy minister and do that good old fashioned ministerial thing that all other ministers do. Alternatively, don't split the brief and tell the current minister to get on with their job. However, since the starting point seems to be 'The job isn't being done' the latter seems a bit redundant.

Do you have a reason why it isn't fair beyond 'Some advocates are wrong in the head'? Because I can find you fringe nutjobs advocating for a lot of things that have a place in society that you probably wouldn't want to bin just because of the association.

Do you have an example of a non-nutjob arguing we need a men's minister for men's rights? Because that'd be the obvious counter to the "it's an idiots' cause" line

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'By that logic' is a fantastic lead in to then make up a truly deranged alternative interpretation of what the OP said, keep doing it. I'm sure eventually it'll create a cogent argument.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

OwlFancier posted:

Mental health issues affect everybody and are frequently caused by things external to the individual. And most importantly, because they affect all sorts of people, the existence of the mental health minister does not imply the existence of a coherent outgroup for the mentally unhealthy to be fighting against and even if it did, that outgroup wouldn't be "women" i.e a group of people who are already having a poo poo time of it.

Now I am confused because men's issues are absolutely external to the individual so what relevance does that even have? A man can experience issues caused by things external to themselves. You're also saying the existence of a mental health minister does not imply the existence of a coherent outgroup but your argument against a men's minister is that it is impossible for such a group to have a coherent outgroup.

OwlFancier posted:

Men's problems are primarily caused by other men, so "men" is not a coherent political advocacy category unless you define that advocacy by things external to it

Why does this need to be true? You've just said it is not true for mental health.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
and furthermore, why isn't there a White History Month :bahgawd:

"men" as a group are neither special, important, nor victimised enough to merit an entire minister. hth

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If a new minister role actually did something to tackle male suicide then that would be wonderful. Call it whatever you like.

But I'm doubtful that nothing gets done due to there not being a specific role for it. Nothing gets done because it's something in society that no one seems to care about and when people I see asking for said role are usually only doing it as a whataboutism argument against something else

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My argument is that it is possible for men's advocacy to have a coherent outgroup and that outgroup is near universally "women" which is why men's rights activists are usually just misogynists and also factually wrong, because the cause of men's problems is not women.

If mental health advocacy drew an obvious line between "mentally unwell people" who were already quite advantaged by society, and another outgroup of people who are relatively disadvantaged by society, then I would have the same complaint about it. But it doesn't.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 29, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Recommending a Goon's Minister committee be formed.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

My argument is that it is possible for men's advocacy to have a coherent outgroup and that outgroup is near universally "women" which is why men's rights activists are usually just misogynists and also factually wrong, because the cause of men's problems is not women.

But it doesn't need one (as we have seen by the mental health minister's role) so to say 'this shouldn't exist because the outgroup isn't something we want' seems to be making an assumption that has already been demonstrated to not be true.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

Now I am confused because men's issues are absolutely external to the individual so what relevance does that even have? A man can experience issues caused by things external to themselves. You're also saying the existence of a mental health minister does not imply the existence of a coherent outgroup but your argument against a men's minister is that it is impossible for such a group to have a coherent outgroup.

Why does this need to be true? You've just said it is not true for mental health.

Is your argument that being a man is caused by hormones excreted in your brain, and thus is comparable to your definition of mental illness?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then should we have a minister for white empowerment? After all that does not necessarily suggest that anything is being taken away from anybody else.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is your argument that being a man is caused by hormones excreted in your brain, and thus is comparable to your definition of mental illness?

No it is not. My argument has been clearly stated.

OwlFancier posted:

Then should we have a minister for white empowerment? After all that does not necessarily suggest that anything is being taken away from anybody else.

Empowerment directly suggests something being taken from another. If you are empowering someone they are being given something that previously belonged to someone else.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Rugz posted:

But it doesn't need one (as we have seen by the mental health minister's role) so to say 'this shouldn't exist because the outgroup isn't something we want' seems to be making an assumption that has already been demonstrated to not be true.
almost everybody will have mental health problems at some point in their life. on the other hand, a "men's minister" is someone who would nominally be accountable for a group comprising ~50% of the population - a group which has so little in common as a whole beyond their chosen gender identity as to be completely meaningless as a category

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rugz posted:

Empowerment directly suggests something being taken from another. If you are empowering someone they are being given something that previously belonged to someone else.

No it doesn't. We seek to empower people all the time. I am very much in favour of empowering people with mental health problems and I would hope you would be too. I would agree that if someone demands white empowerment they mean taking rights away from other people, but that is because white people are already the most empowered group, there is nothing to give them relative to other groups, only things which can be taken away from others.

Which is my point.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

No it doesn't. We seek to empower people all the time. I am very much in favour of empowering people with mental health problems and I would hope you would be too. I would agree that if someone demands white empowerment they mean taking rights away from other people, but that is because white people are already the most empowered group, there is nothing to give them relative to other groups, only things which can be taken away from others.

What you are giving them is inherently being taken from another entity. Be that the state or another individual. If someone demands empowerment they are demanding the transfer of a thing from some other to themselves. All rights already exist, empowerment is just the transfer of ownership of those rights.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/whelankarl/status/1707478714374656170?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Good thread on that pair of parasites who build that dodgy tower block, and their habit of hoarding land without serious investment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rugz posted:

What you are giving them is inherently being taken from another entity. Be that the state or another individual. If someone demands empowerment they are demanding the transfer of a thing from some other to themselves. All rights already exist, empowerment is just the transfer of ownership of those rights.

Zero sum fallacy is what cunts believe. It is possible for someone to receive something without it first being taken away from someone else.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

No it is not. My argument has been clearly stated.

By who? I've read you're posts

if you concede that maleness is, at partly and at least in most cases, caused by hormonal influence during childhood, that inherently limits your male minister's role to regulating hormonal levels.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

maybe post some of it for the growing number of people without logins to the musk zone.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Jedit posted:

Zero sum fallacy is what cunts believe. It is possible for someone to receive something without it first being taken away from someone else.

It is not. What is possible is to argue that it is a good thing for something to be taken from one and given to another, but to argue that nothing is being transferred is just wilfully ignoring reality. I'm not sure why it's an issue though, unless someone is morally opposed to taking things but also wants to give things, I guess they would need to square that circle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As a censible sentrist I demand that the PM appoint a Minister for Magic.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Like how we empowered women with the right to vote by taking it away from men, or how we empowered same-sex couples with the right to get married by taking it away from mixed-sex couples

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

It is not. What is possible is to argue that it is a good thing for something to be taken from one and given to another, but to argue that nothing is being transferred is just wilfully ignoring reality. I'm not sure why it's an issue though, unless someone is morally opposed to taking things but also wants to give things, I guess they would need to square that circle.

So in this zero sum rights arithmetic of yours, prohibiting the use of cars wouldn't affect the people's combined right to freedom of movement?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If one group doesn't have rights that another group has then you don't have to take those rights from the in group to bestow them on the out group, that should be the least controversial statement on earth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rugz posted:

If someone can't walk and you give them a wheelchair, or medical care that lets them walk, you aren't taking the right to walk from someone else...

Political advocacy for people in general to be given medical care is not taking life from other people.

And even in the case of rights, if you abolished slavery the rights you are "transferring" are not equivalent, another person's right to own a human being is not the same as allowing that human being to live their own life.

This is a legitimately insane way to look at the world.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 29, 2023

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

Like how we empowered women with the right to vote by taking it away from men, or how we empowered same-sex couples with the right to get married by taking it away from mixed-sex couples

The right to vote for women was a right owned by the state, which it chose to withhold. The empowerment of women was the transfer of that right, the right was taken away from the state.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some people unironically think the latter is true because the institution is meaningless now. I laugh at their anger.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How am I not surprised that somehow in the UK thread we've now seen a debate break down to state's rights.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rugz posted:

The right to vote for women was a right owned by the state, which it chose to withhold. The empowerment of women was the transfer of that right, the right was taken away from the state.
Do you think the state was voting on behalf of women or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rugz posted:

The state wasn't shooting itself up full of the hypothetical women's votes before suffrage you utter lunatic.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do you think the state was voting on behalf of women or something?

They definitely thought they were, or at least pretended.
It was argued at the time that it was the duty of the state to look after the interests of women and that they couldn't do this themselves.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rugz posted:

Mental gymnastics on the tier of those Spetsnaz demonstration videos

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The state wasn't shooting itself up full of the hypothetical women's votes before suffrage you utter lunatic.

No, it was withholding the right of women to vote because it owned the right for women to vote and could do what it liked. Then when women were empowered the right for women to vote was transferred from the state to the women and the state could no longer withhold the right because it did not own it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i can do this too

OwlFancier posted:

If someone can't walk and you give them a wheelchair, or medical care that lets them walk, you aren't taking the right to walk from someone else...

Political advocacy for people in general to be given medical care is not taking life from other people.

And even in the case of rights, if you abolished slavery the rights you are "transferring" are not equivalent, another person's right to own a human being is not the same as allowing that human being to live their own life.

This is a legitimately insane way to look at the world.

The transfer of resources needed to produce that wheelchair means another man's prosperity is necessarily affected. Who are you to say this appropriation does not impede the victim of this transaction equally to the increase enjoyed by its beneficent?

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Who are you to say this appropriation does not impede the victim of this transaction equally to the increase enjoyed by its beneficent?

Literally nobody is saying this. You have jumped whole hog from 'You are saying this thing exists' to 'You are advocating for this thing' and it is tiresome. The right is being transferred.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I... think I can see the logic here? By giving women the vote, the state was relinquishing its (and its male voters') power over women to women, in much the same way that transitioning from authoritarianism to democracy is a ceding of power from the state to the public.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But where did the state get those things in the first place, and from whom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The right doesn’t exist you disingenuous doughnut, it’s created and given and absolutely nothing is taken from anyone.