Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

:shittypop:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's going to be an actual nightmare.

Only part that bugs me is the rail supports having different collision boxes when rotated.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't like the elevated rail graphics, they look too twiggy. Need to add like a concrete or steel bar underneath the center at least.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Atlanta simulator.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Hell yeah

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

At last, grade separation. By allah the most merciful, I can finally build junctions that make sense rather than just throwing signals everywhere and hoping it works.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hate 2d 3d on principle so I will be changing my stance to no purchase.

Only partially kidding. I do think I'll end up only using them for minimized contention junctions. Flying your rail over your base is gauche.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I was going to say that ottd works fine without signals or curve on tunnels and bridges.
But that grade separated station exit/entrance is really cool.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve got two spots on Nauvis in my current SpaceEx embark where I’ll gladly take Gauche as a penalty for being able to roll over some thoughtless placements from 60-80 hours ago.

On that topic I took a look at Space logistics and reluctantly decided that if it’s cargo rockets the mod expects then it’s cargo rockets I should probably use. I still refuse to do anything trickshit with them, so everything getting a rocket lift gets its own full rocket, with its own launch silo set to send another anytime the receiving pad is down to zero of whatever it’s handling.

This has resulted in the highest-traffic rocket link sending 5k barrels of water at a time to the waterless but oil-rich world where my Vulcanite comes from, so that the sulfur can keep flowing to the Vulcanite processes. Also barrel recycling there means there’s a ludicrous amount of steel plates just chilling in its logistics, I might eventually set up a rocket lift to the Nauvis platform for that stuff. I’ve got cryonite slush going to Nauvis so eventually I can convert that area over to making ice to send instead, and do the barrel melting into the biggest logistics net in the system.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 29, 2023

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

VictualSquid posted:

I was going to say that ottd works fine without signals or curve on tunnels and bridges.

The station setup was my first thought for this. I’d love this for my in-progress giga base.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
This rules. Factorio intersections never really clicked for me and I just blueprint my rail system but I can blast out an OpenTTD junction with my eyes closed.

Some people are speculating there might be some kind of LTN-type functionality being added too, which would also rule. In the train bridges post there are stations using stack filter inserters, stations with multiple lamps, and trains that change color as they leave.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to walk on the elevated tracks, but I hope I'm wrong.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve got two spots on Nauvis in my current SpaceEx embark where I’ll gladly take Gauche as a penalty for being able to roll over some thoughtless placements from 60-80 hours ago.

On that topic I took a look at Space logistics and reluctantly decided that if it’s cargo rockets the mod expects then it’s cargo rockets I should probably use. I still refuse to do anything trickshit with them, so everything getting a rocket lift gets its own full rocket, with its own launch silo set to send another anytime the receiving pad is down to zero of whatever it’s handling.

This has resulted in the highest-traffic rocket link sending 5k barrels of water at a time to the waterless but oil-rich world where my Vulcanite comes from, so that the sulfur can keep flowing to the Vulcanite processes. Also barrel recycling there means there’s a ludicrous amount of steel plates just chilling in its logistics, I might eventually set up a rocket lift to the Nauvis platform for that stuff. I’ve got cryonite slush going to Nauvis so eventually I can convert that area over to making ice to send instead, and do the barrel melting into the biggest logistics net in the system.
Cargo rockets are the intended midgame solution before you unlock spaceships. After playing through completely I really think the cargo cannons need a modification pass, they are too limited to be that useful - you need to send cargo rockets with the rocket parts needed to send back rockets of materials anyway so you might as well barrel or send the solid ice chunks or slush or whatever. Cargo rockets have uses through the entire game (general outpost supply) but cannons don't and I think one way of making them useful would be allowing them to send fluids. that would make them useful into the late game and fill a useful niche.

Getting basic space sensors working with reporting and acting on the outpost inventory is almost mandatory, I don't know how people can play/beat it without it. You don't *have* to autolaunch but just auto-filling the rocket with what's needed is such a huge quality of life change.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 29, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to walk on the elevated tracks, but I hope I'm wrong.

Not OSHA. Not OSHA at all.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KillHour posted:

Run over by train deaths increase 5000%

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wonder what happens if you are riding a train and get out on an elevated track.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

My plan is to do Enrichment on the ground and launch full rockets of whatever to the space platform, where everything will eventually be built. I’ve got enriched copper -> molten copper -> ingots -> copper plate operating already and the iron installation is just waiting on machines and modules to be finished up there. Each should, if my math and hookups are right, be able to fully task out a space manufactory turning ingots into 80/s plates.

Going to need to establish barreled crude and water rocketry into Nauvis orbit and I think that’s going to stand in for steel processing up there until a few more sets of science packs come online, then rare minerals and stone. Cryonite and Immersite are already being lifted on rockets from a third planet, as well as Iridium which I haven’t used yet.

I have found it worthwhile to establish a rocket construction capacity on each of the out-planets (one is so short on copper that I’m probably going to be setting up a rocket link for that shortly), versus shipping packed sections via rocket. The fact that some of the sections are reusable is a pretty nice bonus, I don’t think the platform’s rocket works has needed to run for most of the time since automated cryonite and immersite started.

The real big deal is that I’ve been running this whole thing off the same set of 12 red circuit assemblers feeding really huge buffers and sending heaps of all three flavor circuits on every rocket to anywhere. When I went to sleep last night I had just determined that the only remaining need for my 24 new red circuit assemblers was to put new coal patches on the train network so that my logistics-feeding plastic plants go back into action. Brand-new 45/s copper plate lines are feeding that bad boy instead of it being crudely tied in to the initial factory’s copper distribution. Once that’s up it’s RCUs for days to feed my nuclear artillery manufacturing (we’ve already got almost enough to keep the rockets going but I need 40 RCUs every 12s just for the artillery-shell modernization program).

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 29, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

VictualSquid posted:

Not sure I'd say that TTD's straight-only tunnels and bridges work fine, they're just a limitation of the time that we've learnt to live with after 30 years. Anyhow, this is neat but I also don't really think that Factorio's flat junctions are much of a problem in practice.

What slightly irks me is that the water reflections don't really survive being foregrounded that much. They were an ok hack for the occasional bot, but for the bridges and bridge supports it just looks weird.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

My plan is to do Enrichment on the ground and launch full rockets of whatever to the space platform, where everything will eventually be built. I’ve got enriched copper -> molten copper -> ingots -> copper plate operating already and the iron installation is just waiting on machines and modules to be finished up there. Each should, if my math and hookups are right, be able to fully task out a space manufactory turning ingots into 80/s plates.

Can't use prod modules in space, so you should make everything that does not need to be made in space on the ground.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Tamba posted:

Can't use prod modules in space, so you should make everything that does not need to be made in space on the ground.

I will not.

There’s not a level of pixel resource expenditure which is too much to pay for simplification so I can see at a glance what’s up anywhere in the system.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

KillHour posted:

They mention that if they went with tunnels you'd need a way to get in there to debug trains or fix them etc. It would make some sense that the same applies for elevated rails. Though I could see them cheating and just letting you enter/leave the trains from ground level I guess.

Those guard rails make it look like Rollercoaster Tycoon to me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Something that just struck me: if you look at the shot with the island, there isn't an obvious way in which it was built. Between that and the prior FFF statement that they are working to make sure everything can be done without your physical presence, I wonder if construction trains are becoming a thing. Would be a nice addition to have a special roboport car that can pull construction materials from adjacent cargo cars.

Also, it seems quite likely to me that we are getting some sort of vanilla refueling solution. That's really the only part of current train mechanics that is really lacking, there's no single good solution to fueling trains, and I don't see any refueling in any of the screenshots in this update.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 29, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elevated rails has been a long time coming. Really looking forward to this!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow, this is neat but I also don't really think that Factorio's flat junctions are much of a problem in practice.

The nullius base my friends and I are working on disagrees with you

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Cargo rockets are the intended midgame solution before you unlock spaceships. After playing through completely I really think the cargo cannons need a modification pass, they are too limited to be that useful - you need to send cargo rockets with the rocket parts needed to send back rockets of materials anyway so you might as well barrel or send the solid ice chunks or slush or whatever. Cargo rockets have uses through the entire game (general outpost supply) but cannons don't and I think one way of making them useful would be allowing them to send fluids. that would make them useful into the late game and fill a useful niche.

Getting basic space sensors working with reporting and acting on the outpost inventory is almost mandatory, I don't know how people can play/beat it without it. You don't *have* to autolaunch but just auto-filling the rocket with what's needed is such a huge quality of life change.
It's a shame that cargo rockets are the best way to transport items between planets because they're also the first one you unlock. Cannons have low throughput, high energy costs and restrictive item limits, which makes them only really worth it for early liquids and items you only use in relatively tiny amounts, like supplying off-world reactors with uranium or ice. If you set up a basic rocket part resupply system you then have the ability to treat cargo rockets as a super simple and powerful train system where you just slap down a landing pad station anywhere you like and you have that resource immediately at hand.
Spaceships are deep into the tech tree, are much more fiddly to automate, aren't anywhere near as fast, and are a UPS hog, so they only really end up being useful for specialty items like the Sun/Asteroid probe data as well as Naquitite simply because the fuel costs and lack of local supply make even nearby deep space fields awkward for pure cargo rocket logistics. Space Elevators are the ideal because they basically link the two surfaces but they only work planet <-> orbit so it's mostly for getting all the liquids and processed goods from your main planet up to your space base.
Technically Arcochests are the absolute best inter-surface transportation option but they're also buried in the endgame after you've already basically won and costs 20 arcospheres each time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

VostokProgram posted:

I did nullius without trains. Fear me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KillHour posted:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=108952&start=20

kovarex posted:

You can't [walk on train bridges]. biters also can't walk it.

kovarex posted:

Player can exit/enter elevated trains fine. (It would be quite annoying otherwise)
They only collide with few entities, as stated in the fff (Big electric poles, robport, rocket silo)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

VostokProgram posted:

I'm sure that's true, but if you're modding then all bets are off. You could also mod in better trains so that flat rail networks work well for longer, or worse trains so that rail network are a challenge in vanilla; whatever floats your boat.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I actually like delivery cannons more than cargo rockets for most things you can use them with. Their power consumption is still way under the level you need to worry about as soon as you have nuclear set up, for increased throughput you can always just copy/paste another one, and you don't have to sit around waiting for a whole rocket to fill up. I still set up parts rockets and a mixed-cargo logistics-loaded rocket for every surface cause you have to move stuff you can't cannon, but I'm always a little irritated when I have to launch it at like 70/500 because I urgently need one specific thing without really needing anything else. Single-item rockets are useful for getting the exotic materials off the other planets and back to Nauvis, but I haven't really needed them to get anything from Nauvis to an outpost.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

K8.0 posted:

Something that just struck me: if you look at the shot with the island, there isn't an obvious way in which it was built. Between that and the prior FFF statement that they are working to make sure everything can be done without your physical presence, I wonder if construction trains are becoming a thing. Would be a nice addition to have a special roboport car that can pull construction materials from adjacent cargo cars.

Also, it seems quite likely to me that we are getting some sort of vanilla refueling solution. That's really the only part of current train mechanics that is really lacking, there's no single good solution to fueling trains, and I don't see any refueling in any of the screenshots in this update.
You can build rail in front of your train as the engineer in the train.

Which makes it so a train is really a boat now on water worlds :thunk:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Since delivery cannons have limits on what they can send and you continually need packed rocket parts, nuclear/fusion fuel, and maybe water/water ice on established colonies, it’s just easier to only maintain a robust rocket supply system than that and also a cannon system on the side when the difference is rocket fuel and parts you were making anyway.

i would heavily recommend against setting up rocket factories on remote outposts and just sending the rocket parts because over time you unlock efficient alternate recipes using materials from other outposts.

But you do you i’m not telling you how to have fun, might be a bummer if you didn’t know though

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Eventually I’ll be using and distributing Iridium and then sometime after that will want to change over to Iridium rocket sections, it could be dozens or tens of hours in-game until then.

The setup which works right now and keeps working until it gets updated is superior to a more-efficient one that isn’t in place, and all that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I played only once before and bounced off after making my initial setup really over-fiddly -- lot of belt splitters and attempting to load balance goods on one base rather than just overproducing, if I remember right -- and I recently felt like trying again.

I've gotten to the point where I can build railroads and it's time to start looking outside my initial base for resources, but when I drive to the massive coal or iron patch or the oilfield I found and wall them off, I just look at it and go "but why". Before, I always had a concrete Next Thing I was working towards being able to create, but now I look at what I'm unlocking in the tech tree and it all seems like more of what I can already do rather than a signpost of "hey, start building up for this". I went initial start->automation->wall off and defend base->car->trains and now, um... I don't know. I guess I'd like to move to solar panels and accumulators for my power source, so, batteries is the next thing, and sulfur gas is the next thing I need to make batteries, so it's oil time? I'd also like to start moving from my ramshackle first base to a properly planned setup where all the resources get mined and processed at the bigger deposits I'm finding, then shipped over by railroad to a centralized building facility, but that is a lateral move that'll stall me on the tech tree while I'm doing it, so I'm not sure it's a good idea yet.

I don't think it's at all a coincidence that this is exactly the point the tutorial leaves off at. Can someone just give me a nudge towards where my goals ought to be, or is this feeling a part of the experience and I should do whatever and it'll become clear later?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 3, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oil is for sure the next thing, I’m still not a huge fan of dealing with oil refining. Automate production of chemical labs For Sure, you’re eventually going to have several blocks of them. First thing is to get batteries and plastic cranking, those two are going to be key for making the next round of stuff.

In general the science packs are supposed to be a guideline for progression, they’re made out of things which you Should Be building layouts for at their stage in the tree. Automate the blue juice and have your science labs drink it!

You want to hook up your big remote patches with trains because then you don’t have to think about iron or coal again for hours unless you want to. If you don’t feel like you’re using enough to justify the extra intake, you have to use more resources. Expand your labs and all of your old science builds.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Oil would be the good next step, you can get flamethrowers up if you’re playing with biters and it gives you access to non-coal power because you’ll need acid to get batteries for solar or uranium for nuclear.

Longer term you’ll likely want construction bots to allow you to stamp down subfactories rather than hand placing everything.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I don't think it's at all a coincidence that this is exactly the point the tutorial leaves off at. Can someone just give me a nudge towards where my goals ought to be, or is this feeling a part of the experience and I should do whatever and it'll become clear later?

"I have 99 problems and a lack of things to do ain't one" is basically the meat of Factorio. The devs intentionally made it so you can tackle several different things in different orders, depending on what happens to be the most interesting / easiest / pressing at the moment. You'll eventually need to do almost all of it, but bumbling your way through is perfectly fine. Embrace the chaos.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I played only once before and bounced off after making my initial setup really over-fiddly -- lot of belt splitters and attempting to load balance goods on one base rather than just overproducing, if I remember right -- and I recently felt like trying again.

Other guys gave you excellent advice but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

For what's next, I let the science guide me. I'll produce 'x science per minute' (usually 120 as it is 2x the base ratio numbers given in the factorio cheat sheet) and all my production is based on what that needs.

For production of base materials, I build based on belts. I'll build a module to fill 1 yellow belt with whatever product (whether it be plates or green chips or plastic) and then when that isn't enough, do another of the same thing to make it 2 yellow belts.

Of course that will expose your weak link in supplying whatever is needed to make that item, so then you get to go fix that.

I tend to build a bus-base where I only build on one side of the bus so that when I need more copper plates, I can just add more to the bus and I'm done. Eventually you upgrade to red belts instead of adding a 2nd yellow belt, and then upgrade the modules from filling a yellow belt to filling a red.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Thank you all for the help.

LonsomeSon posted:

In general the science packs are supposed to be a guideline for progression, they’re made out of things which you Should Be building layouts for at their stage in the tree. Automate the blue juice and have your science labs drink it!

You want to hook up your big remote patches with trains because then you don’t have to think about iron or coal again for hours unless you want to. If you don’t feel like you’re using enough to justify the extra intake, you have to use more resources. Expand your labs and all of your old science builds.
I don't think I can make the blue juice yet. I can make the black stuff. If I unlocked the blue science, I didn't notice. I'll double-check -- I did notice that science packs tend to be You Should Be Mass-Producing This poo poo Anyway checks. (I'm definitely not mass-producing anything the military science wants yet; I was lucky enough to spawn in a pretty dense forest and the trees have been eating the pollution, so the biters are largely leaving me alone so far.)

Hooking up the remote patches with trains makes sense, but I need to get coal to them all so I can fuel the burners -- although I literally just thought right now that instead what I ought to do is mine all the coal in its patch and then build all the burners right there next to the coal, then I can ship in the raw ore to the coal patch and pick up the refined iron, copper, and stone at the same stop.

uPen posted:

Longer term you’ll likely want construction bots to allow you to stamp down subfactories rather than hand placing everything.
Long term I definitely want robots. Can I ever get robots who'll bring stuff from one location to another, or bring me stuff? I just want to set up a central "pick up everything right here" location with a bunch of boxes rather than running all over the base when I need a resupply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Long term I definitely want robots. Can I ever get robots who'll bring stuff from one location to another, or bring me stuff? I just want to set up a central "pick up everything right here" location with a bunch of boxes rather than running all over the base when I need a resupply.

That is exactly what Logistics bots are for.

If you can't currently make blue packs, but have red and green, you just need to find it in the tech tree and research whatever leads to it and then research the blue packs. You can do grey (black) military science and/or blue science after red/green depending on your priorities.