Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Ehr analyst / consultant? Tell the software developers why their workflows are terrible and need to be fixed in this specific way? Can get pretty nitpicky sometimes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’m a nitpicky bish tbh, maybe that’s the future

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My wife is currently attempting to switch careers- she's got a Masters degree in library science and has worked as a teacher/school librarian for 18 years, and has self-published six novels, in addition to social media marketing experience, media/graphic design experience (she has a small portfolio) and sales experience. She's been applying for educational sales and curriculum development jobs (think Scholastic) as well as editorial jobs (Penguin, McMillian, etc), but hasn't gotten any traction after 3-4 months of hardcore searching. I've helped her revamp her resume and she has several cover letter templates to use based on the type of job it is. Would it help to find the talent acquisition folks for these companies on LinkedIn to follow up or express interest in order to get her more visibility as a candidate for these positions?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

I think tomorrow will probably play a lot out with how I feel and method of proceeding. I have a corporate meeting that I half expect to be a poo poo-fest and foaming of the mouth which will make me fresh out of fucks to give and the other company will probably get back to me wanting a meeting in the semi near future.

So the last couple weeks have been a little interesting.

The meeting last week wasn't the poo poo fest I expected, but it did leak out that they are planning yet another absolutely disastrous plan IMHO - putting in yet another layer of middle management loving up the works. I can't overstate how insane this is. We are performing at an incredibly high level. The most profitable we've ever been. Actually, the most profitible location in the country with our company. We had a crazy high record year last year where we were forecasting down this year (which was not accepted) but, instead, we're still up double digits over even last year. I am making the most money I've ever made in my life. BUT, the management things that this other layer of management overseeing will somehow help. This layer is not used anywhere else. It's 100% the brainchild of our regional leadership. It absolutely will not help in any way and just further erodes my trust in greater company leadership because no way would it be allowed without their blessing or knowledge. My immediate manager is absolutely flabbergasted and I would not be surprised if he left. My peers are blown away with the idea.

Oh, I also emailed the president of my company. I know him relatively well and have known him for 30 years. I asked him outright if they had any plans to do any early retirement buyouts like the did a couple of years ago. He replied, we chatted a bit and said no. Someone did bring it up but it was made clear it was not in the cards for the foreseeable future. So, that's that.

I had a lunch meeting with the fellow hunting me. It was very cordial. Professional, but friendly. He used to work for us in a different location a couple years ago so we somewhat know each other, at least know "of" each other quite well, so there was some friendly banter and catch up. I'm a few years older than him, but we got along well. We were both somewhat guarded but were careful to only speak about things that would not be proprietary or anything valuable. He asked me why I would even consider leaving and I was honest with him: Management direction and directives, and he agreed and said that was why he left a little over a year ago and neither of us pried for anything more detailed.

Anyhow, it went well. Our 60 minute lunch turned into 90. At the end as we walked out to our vehicles he closed by "Hey, thanks for talking to me. You're going to be hearing from my manager and HR. We'll be in touch."

Got a call from their HR and asked if I could make 10 minutes to talk. It went for over a half hour. Asked me my employment history (largely resume info), my goals, successes, shortcomings, why I think I would be good for the job, the typical stuff.

Towards the end, it got a little into the nitty gritty with practical questions like benefit expectations, holiday expectations, and compensation. I really wasn't prepared to have a compensation discussion but a # came up which was approx $25K more than I make now as a point of discussion. I said that would be something we could discuss but I wouldn't even entertain a figure less than that. I am not anxious to leave my employer. And honestly, I'm not. I make a good salary, good benefits and have good security. BUT I am getting exhausted and pretty much out of fucks to give as MBAs are going to run what we do into the ground. I can see it a mile away, but I obviously didn't say that.

At the end, we also had a good chat and she said she appreciated my honesty on the topics and enjoyed talking. She was almost a little flirtatious which I thought was weird but pretty certain it was just her use of psychology.

So, we'll see. I expect to see an offer within a week and then I'll have some decisions to make.

Or, maybe my frankness and responses will make them reconsider. Who knows. I haven't interviewed for years and may have come across like a jackass.

But I don't think so.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 29, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
your level of loyalty to your current company is baffling. to put this in context: i'd put myself on an extreme "do well for your company and they will do well for you" side of the spectrum compared to most of this thread and i still don't understand why you're loyal. loyalty is earned on a continuous basis.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
∆∆

Plus I think you're hilariously short selling yourself only asking for +$25k which makes me think you're not as well paid as you think you are (in comparison to market).

You already know your current company is not the place you should stay at and your being given a absolute gift wrapped next step. What's the issue?

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 29, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah like what % is 25K here

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I was gonna request a reclassification to a higher title from my boss because I deserve it but then I found out my manager had something terrible happen in their personal life and also I have made more work mistakes in the last two weeks than in the last two years. So the timing is not quite right.

E: they are small mistakes but they were still mistakes

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 29, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

your level of loyalty to your current company is baffling. to put this in context: i'd put myself on an extreme "do well for your company and they will do well for you" side of the spectrum compared to most of this thread and i still don't understand why you're loyal. loyalty is earned on a continuous basis.

quote:

You already know your current company is not the place you should stay at and your being given a absolute gift wrapped next step. What's the issue?
I, uh, don't have an offer yet?

I fail to see where I seem to be crazy, baffling loyal. Am I loyal because I haven't just up and given my notice? I am not going to do that without an offer that I'm happy with to move.

Is it because I emailed my president and wasn't an rear end in a top hat to him? I would *like* to retire, and I'd like them to make that happen, but alas I don't think that's in the cards..

I could potentially stay, it's not impossible, but it isn't likely.

The last thing I mentioned about another layer of management turns out was based on rumor and someone overhearing something, but not yet substantiated, but it does seem entirely possible and would be believable/on point with the main actor.

Even without it, I am not kosher with their recent direction.If it happens it probably won't be until early next year, but as I said, it's not for sure yet.

As per the $25K - that was a typo - $25%

I think I am decently paid plus some hefty benefits/perks (including a brand new 70K vehicle that costs me basically nothing for personal use, including fuel, just a small taxable benefit hit) every 2 years.

Did I underestimate my worth? Maybe. But, I don't *think* so, or at least not terribly if I did. I know roughly what my peers make in my office and I am on the higher end of that. We're pretty tight friends.

End of the day, I am not at the negotiation stage yet, let alone even have a first offer. I told them I wouldn't even consider an offer if it wasn't 25%+ than I presently earn, which is, in my estimation a decent bump. But we'll see if/when the time comes.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In the UK, 31 years old, and learning plumbing through an evening class (BPEC level 2). I'm wondering if there's any advice on getting the job once I'm certified? The ads out there either want years of experience or 16y/o apprentices on the lower than minimum wage pay. How do I get my foot in the door?

Also my work history sucks: decades of undiagnosed adhd and autism leading to me burning out of job after job with big mental health gaps in between. The main reason I'm going for plumbing is to eventually be my own boss once I've saved up the money and experience to get my own tools and business. Right now it feels like the gap between qualifying next year and landing a job will be the main roadblock.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Your experience might end up similar to mine. I went to school to be a machinist at 31, coming from living off government assistance after my collapse in my last year of uni.

Your teachers should have some contacts with local companies, and if they have a positive impression of you they should be able to point you to potential employers, possibly even put in a good word for you.

There's a serious shortage of machinists in the Netherlands, it still took tremendous effort on my part. At first I responded to job postings, but I ended up contacting just about every machine shop in my area and asking if they'd be willing to take me on. So I wouldn't go into it expecting it to be easy.

Also, just in general, good on you for trying to get ahead. I wish you good luck.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

elise the great posted:

I successfully negotiated myself a 13% raise, and by “negotiated” I mean “basically staged a hostage situation.” I got my lowest-paid staff raises too. Turns out they DESPERATELY don’t want me to leave.

Now I’m left to confront the fact that I don’t want to do this job anymore for any money. I am so loving tired. The director is finally taking us seriously about how overworked and exhausted the supervisors and managers are, but I’m too burnt out to think straight.

I have a gently caress ton of applicable skills in all sorts of fields but LITERALLY no idea how to even find jobs to apply to. I feel like I’m gonna have to quit, spend a month or so living off my 200hrs of vacation time I can’t use while working because I can’t handle the recovery period when I come back after missing even two days in a row, and maybe take a short term job working as a bedside nurse while I figure out what the gently caress to do next. I do not want to be a nurse manager. I want to work remotely and make systems and run projects and be able to get ahead sometimes.

I forget what area of medicine you work in but I highly recommend clinical research at a biotech or pharma company. It is slightly tricky to make the move from clinic -> industry so the best thing is to target a smaller company that needs expertise in the disease area you've been working in.

Let me know if you happen to work in heme-onc or autoimmune disease in NJ, Seattle or SF and are looking to make this kind of move.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have companies suddenly decided they don't need as many recruiters or hiring managers anymore? I've noticed a slew of recruiters and hiring managers from Google, Amazon, and Microsoft on my linkedin feed posting about being laid off within the last few weeks.

Can't remember the last time I saw someone post about getting a new position or job on my feed. Just laid off people looking for work or employed people talking about something their team is working on.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

knox_harrington posted:

I forget what area of medicine you work in but I highly recommend clinical research at a biotech or pharma company. It is slightly tricky to make the move from clinic -> industry so the best thing is to target a smaller company that needs expertise in the disease area you've been working in.

Let me know if you happen to work in heme-onc or autoimmune disease in NJ, Seattle or SF and are looking to make this kind of move.

Technically I work in oncology, at FH in Seattle. However, my branch is in procedures, so I lead the team that does bone marrow aspiration, GI and pulmonary endoscopy, CT and ultrasound guided soft tissue biopsies, and indwelling line placement. So I’d say that my specialization isn’t in true heme/onc, but I am quite familiar, and I’m well known in the organization as a silo breaker, problem solver, system builder, multidisciplinary team leader, and flexible creator of order from chaos. If that’s a skill set that translates well to research, sign me right up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mustang posted:

Have companies suddenly decided they don't need as many recruiters or hiring managers anymore? I've noticed a slew of recruiters and hiring managers from Google, Amazon, and Microsoft on my linkedin feed posting about being laid off within the last few weeks.

Can't remember the last time I saw someone post about getting a new position or job on my feed. Just laid off people looking for work or employed people talking about something their team is working on.

They hired too many and now hiring is slowing down. There was also a lot of lovely recruiters onboarded at this time so some blood letting is to be expected and probably is healthy

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Goons, help needed.

Long story short: Laid off in February. Job hunting for over 4 months with little to show for it. After resume revisions a few weeks back (thanks interview thread), suddenly have some prospects - the exact role I am looking for (Director of HR) at two different companies.

Problem: one company is moving to a work model that will probably be prohibitive to working there, and the other is in an industry that sparks no joy or interest and has me worried about transferability.

Nevertheless, I've been going through the interview process for the experience, and now it seems the latter company may be on the verge of extending me an offer. So, goons: Should I take it?

Pros:
- The likely salary number is going to be about 15% higher than my last role
- The title is going to set me up very nicely for my next jump
- This will be 3 to 4 times the scale of my prior HR oversight roles with the potential to help grow that number significantly (20 to 50%), which will also be great for my development
- Boss and business counterpart both seem like they will be great to work with.

Cons:
- The industry. My background is primarily fancy and exciting technology and eventually that's where I want to end back up. This industry is... Driving. Commuter transport.
- Although the likely salary number is a decent increase over my last roll, it's at the lower end of the range for this type of role. (but is at the upper end of their budget for this role).

At the end of the day, my main concern is that the nature of this industry may make it harder for me to make the jump back to the sectors I am really excited about, especially since tech can be a snooty bunch. Is this concern legit or am I crazy? I can definitely handle working this very okay job for a year or two, knowing it will give me a leg up on my dream role - but if it might disadvantage my prospects later, I will probably pass. Those of you who have some insight into this, I would appreciate your guidance.

(I'm not at the point of desperation financially, yet, but 8 of burning through my savings hasn't been fun.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I would presume that this position will still be easier to jump from than "unemployed for ever longer periods of time". More broadly, I would encourage you to find sources of sparked joy outside of your job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How much does industry specific experience matter for running an HR org? I honestly have no idea.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

Cons:
- The industry. My background is primarily fancy and exciting technology and eventually that's where I want to end back up. This industry is... Driving. Commuter transport.
- Although the likely salary number is a decent increase over my last roll, it's at the lower end of the range for this type of role. (but is at the upper end of their budget for this role).
Am I reading correctly here that you would rather be working in things actively enshittifying society instead of doing something in public transit?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

How much longer can you live unemployed? Seems like you should take it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

quote:

the other is in an industry that sparks no joy or interest and has me worried about transferability.

I think "working in an exciting industry" is overblown in general in terms of how it helps your career and I cannot imagine it would hurt that much for future HR roles. You will just not get a positive response at parties when you answer the "where do you work" question, which I suspect is your real concern. I suggest getting over it.

Personally I've felt that working in dull industries is also generally easier, or at least has more lax expectations which I really appreciate.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Discendo Vox posted:

I would presume that this position will still be easier to jump from than "unemployed for ever longer periods of time".

Almost certainly.

ultrafilter posted:

How much does industry specific experience matter for running an HR org? I honestly have no idea.

Tbh, I don't know, which is one reason I posted here.

Ham Equity posted:

Am I reading correctly here that you would rather be working in things actively enshittifying society instead of doing something in public transit?

Joke's on you: it's not public transport - it's private commuter transport whose major clients are the big tech giants enshittifging society.

Lockback posted:

I think "working in an exciting industry" is overblown in general in terms of how it helps your career and I cannot imagine it would hurt that much for future HR roles. You will just not get a positive response at parties when you answer the "where do you work" question, which I suspect is your real concern. I suggest getting over it.
Nah, this is legit a concern about future prospects. I don't attend enough parties for it to matter,.anyway.

quote:

Personally I've felt that working in dull industries is also generally easier, or at least has more lax expectations which I really appreciate.
This isn't wrong, and frankly one of the things that originally drew me to secto I was in was the pace. But even before the layoffs I was already talking to my partner about leaving that sector for a while to catch my.breath.

Well, all good points from everyone. So next question: when I initially spoke to this recruiter (external) and got the salary range, I told her that the common range I was seeing for this position was about $30k higher (min and max) but that maybe we could find common ground since their high end overlaps with the low end of the market. Now, after the interviews, she has asked me what number would I find enticing for the role, in advance of any offer from the employer. Is this common? What's smart to tell her? Should I anchor high and play for the best? She seems to have zeroed in on that high end number of theirs, which is in my "bare minimum" territory.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 8, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Negotiation thread would be the best place for this.

If they gave you a range that you're ok with, I suggest anchoring high but within some kind of reason, especially as it sounds like you have a good grasp on the market. You could also deflect and look to get an offer from them first but I suspect you'll get more in the middle since they already have a range.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hello Goons. You last helped me 3 years ago when you solidified my feeling to leave my old job when put on a PIP. I found the best job I've ever had, with the best boss I've ever had, close to home, reasonable wage (not great. not terrible). Very relaxed atmosphere and for the first time in my working life, I have minutes...even hours...with all tickets up to date and not another call on hold waiting for me.

....and we just got a all hands one day warning meeting with the CEO we're probably going to merge with another non-profit in next local government area next door. They are about half bigger as we are, have a 8 or so sites to our 2, and do what we do. Government funded non-profit health care.

The IT we have is me, the IT manager and IT project person doing random things (currently moving all the files to da cloud). We have a MSP to look after the heavy stuff. I have no idea what the IT is like there, but glassdoor says they are set in their ways and do everything face to face.

How hosed am I? I have been in a merged company (they merged before I got there) and the IT system was a complete clusterfluck that was going to explode or implode soon after I left, and another merged (take over) company that fired 90% of the staff from the takeover (including me) 1 year later.

If nothing else, I expect morale to drop through the floor and I'll have a lot of work collecting old laptops from people leaving.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 12, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Merges can suck, merges can be great opportunities. There isn't a one size fits all merge. I've been apart of merges where a house was cleaned, I've been apart of merges where the incoming company got put real high on the chain and got a great career boost from it. It really all depends. Whatever happens probably won't be super fast, so you'll have some time to feel out what's going on and what your new role is (or if it's a brick wall). Usually IT gets a pretty long leash for a while but eventually you'll be part of 1 team, they won't keep running separate ITs forever.

Usually if you do get cut it's a reasonably decent severance as there are tax/financial incentives to get redundant people to break cleanly.

My advice would be don't panic move yet, keep your head on a swivel and start game planning with your manager early to pick up odds and ends and ingratiate yourself early, get to know new bosses and make sure they know who you are, don't get into an us vs them mindset (you'll just lose, that battle is over), if you start getting bad vibes or start feeling like your getting isolated that probably means your heading for layoff-ville: plan accordingly.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nailed the interview. I was told that there is one more formality interview that is required so I'm scheduling that now. My nerves are a little wracked because the salary I have now is in the upper quarter of their salary range and I'm also planning on asking for a seniority bump. I'm hoping their initial offer at least matches my current salary so that I don't have to counter on both angles and can just focus on the seniority.

But it was my first interview in 13 years and it went well, so that feels good.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Hello Goons. You last helped me 3 years ago when you solidified my feeling to leave my old job when put on a PIP. I found the best job I've ever had, with the best boss I've ever had, close to home, reasonable wage (not great. not terrible). Very relaxed atmosphere and for the first time in my working life, I have minutes...even hours...with all tickets up to date and not another call on hold waiting for me.

....and we just got a all hands one day warning meeting with the CEO we're probably going to merge with another non-profit in next local government area next door. They are about half bigger as we are, have a 8 or so sites to our 2, and do what we do. Government funded non-profit health care.

The IT we have is me, the IT manager and IT project person doing random things (currently moving all the files to da cloud). We have a MSP to look after the heavy stuff. I have no idea what the IT is like there, but glassdoor says they are set in their ways and do everything face to face.

How hosed am I? I have been in a merged company (they merged before I got there) and the IT system was a complete clusterfluck that was going to explode or implode soon after I left, and another merged (take over) company that fired 90% of the staff from the takeover (including me) 1 year later.

If nothing else, I expect morale to drop through the floor and I'll have a lot of work collecting old laptops from people leaving.
I don't think you have to freak out, they probably aren't going to immediately cut a bunch of people. If I were you, though, I would start looking for a new job now. Update the resume, hit that "looking for work" checkbox on LinkedIn, start browsing job boards but with an eye towards being discerning.

Lockback posted:

Merges can suck, merges can be great opportunities. There isn't a one size fits all merge. I've been apart of merges where a house was cleaned, I've been apart of merges where the incoming company got put real high on the chain and got a great career boost from it. It really all depends. Whatever happens probably won't be super fast, so you'll have some time to feel out what's going on and what your new role is (or if it's a brick wall). Usually IT gets a pretty long leash for a while but eventually you'll be part of 1 team, they won't keep running separate ITs forever.

Usually if you do get cut it's a reasonably decent severance as there are tax/financial incentives to get redundant people to break cleanly.

My advice would be don't panic move yet, keep your head on a swivel and start game planning with your manager early to pick up odds and ends and ingratiate yourself early, get to know new bosses and make sure they know who you are, don't get into an us vs them mindset (you'll just lose, that battle is over), if you start getting bad vibes or start feeling like your getting isolated that probably means your heading for layoff-ville: plan accordingly.
Severances in non-profit work tend to be not great (when they exist at all), and non-profits tend to run things on a shoestring, especially things like IT that are seen as cost centers.

I think not panicking is the correct move, but definitely start behaving as if you expect to be let go in the next six months.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Severances in non-profit work tend to be not great (when they exist at all), and non-profits tend to run things on a shoestring, especially things like IT that are seen as cost centers.

I think not panicking is the correct move, but definitely start behaving as if you expect to be let go in the next six months.

Yeah that is a good point. I think keeping awareness is most important. At some point the new IT leadership is going to say "Who do we want to keep from the whole pool" and you probably have a chance (if you want it) to try to get into the "good group" over the next couple months.

But as HE said, make sure your plan B is ready to go.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

... keep your head on a swivel ...
...if you start getting bad vibes ...

Lockback posted:

make sure your plan B is ready to go.

It's cool how navigating a career has a lot in common with navigating a high risk activity

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Epitope posted:

It's cool how navigating a career has a lot in common with navigating a high risk activity

:capitalism:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Epitope posted:

I keep my zombie outbreak bug-out bag next to my layoff bug-out bag.

corded ware culture
Jul 16, 2007
mean green
i work in private security management. been doing this 18 years. i'm 40, i make ~90k in the seattle area, i max my 401k. i do not have a college degree or any significant debt.

i like my job for the most part. but i am tired of being in a management position. almost all my friends and family around here have jobs where their hours are mostly predictable, they are rarely (if ever) disturbed on weekends, etc. i'm willing to invest time and money in a career change, and sacrifice some earnings, if the end result is a job like that. i feel like it's way too late to go to college. this might be a dumb question but are there any obvious career options and paths for someone my age that just wants to do their time and go home?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

corded ware culture posted:

i work in private security management. been doing this 18 years. i'm 40, i make ~90k in the seattle area, i max my 401k. i do not have a college degree or any significant debt.

i like my job for the most part. but i am tired of being in a management position. almost all my friends and family around here have jobs where their hours are mostly predictable, they are rarely (if ever) disturbed on weekends, etc. i'm willing to invest time and money in a career change, and sacrifice some earnings, if the end result is a job like that. i feel like it's way too late to go to college. this might be a dumb question but are there any obvious career options and paths for someone my age that just wants to do their time and go home?

Friend, if you find that mythical job please let me know.

Just showing up, clocking in, doing the tasks, clocking out, on a steady and reliable schedule sounds so good.

I have many work hours and work stress but low money. I want low work hours and stress but high money!!!

Gahhh I don’t want to code and idk if I’d even make it as a coder but idk what else is out there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I feel ya man and fairly similar. There are some jobs in the industrial sector (like mine) but unfortunately if you're not formally educated in the field you really need practical experience to have high value and get into a "grown up" position as opposed to an entry level, working in the warehouse type thing and fighting your way up, which takes time.

Sometimes Linkedin networking or Indeed can alert you to opportunities a little outside your normally expected experience/business sector.

slidebite posted:

End of the day, I am not at the negotiation stage yet, let alone even have a first offer. I told them I wouldn't even consider an offer if it wasn't 25%+ than I presently earn, which is, in my estimation a decent bump. But we'll see if/when the time comes.
So revisiting this,

Since this I've been through a couple of interviews in addition to that first informal one. One with their HR over the phone (actually the person that head hunted me) and another teams interview with the informal meeting guy and his boss, a fairly high exec in the company.

I felt fairly prepared for the interview, even though I really haven't had one with another company for decades, so I wasn't *entirely* sure how it would go. I was fairly matter of fact and upon reflecting afterwards realized wasn't mincing words and thought I might have been a little cringy with soe responses. I was careful to do it over a lunch hour so it didn't interfere with my current job, so time was a little of the essence which might have actually helped as it got rid of a lot of small talk. I also had to keep some of the replies to questions they asked fairly generic as I couldn't give any information which might be viewed as sharing anything confidential with my current employer and they seemed to respect that.

As the interview wrapped up, they sounded like they were trying to really sell some aspects of their company as an employer which I thought was a good sign as opposed to "lets just get off the call with this clown" so I thought went probably well enough... but then I started reflecting on some things I said and thought man, maybe I really blew it and came across like an rear end.

Clock ticks, a couple weeks pass and have not heard a peep. So I was thinking, I *must* have blown that.... Oh well, that's OK.

Then yesterday out of the blue I get an email. "Hey, Slidebite, sorry to keep you hanging. I just wanted to reach out and let you know we are working on a formal offer. I really hope it lands in a place you'll be happy with."

So... I guess... we'll see..?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Friend, if you find that mythical job please let me know.

Just showing up, clocking in, doing the tasks, clocking out, on a steady and reliable schedule sounds so good.

I have many work hours and work stress but low money. I want low work hours and stress but high money!!!

Gahhh I don’t want to code and idk if I’d even make it as a coder but idk what else is out there.

I think I have that job - I have a friend who wants to get me to work in his hedge fund group for insane salary and I basically said thanks but no thanks, I do fine where I’m at and it’s the least amount of work for the most money I’ve ever had and you can’t put a price on that.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What do you do, comrade?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
It’s a niche applied science field - the Achilles heel is that it is handcuffed to the operation of a department of the US government, so demand is inexhaustible (which is good) but occasionally the client can’t find its own rear end with both hands and a flashlight (which is bad)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Even if you switch fields, the real money is going to be in managing people. You may want to look into a switch to government work? Like, not as a cop. There are government institutions that use security (hospitals and such) that pay decently.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking for career advice. Here’s where I’m at:

Undergrad in accounting with about 2 years of experience before I joined the military.

Fast forward to now where I’ve been in the military for 18 years and will retire in 2 more. I’m mainly a finance officer (budget execution and planning), and have been teaching accounting at the service academy for a year. I have an MBA and a masters in finance.

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting my CPA and/or CFP before I get out but I’m not sure it’s worth it when it comes to what I want to do after I retire.

To retire and live basically the same quality of life I have now, I need to make $80k a year in my next role. I don’t want to kill myself and want a comfortable work life balance as I’ve got two young kids…so no investment banking role for me.

What I like and what I’m good at:

Likes/wants in career:

Excel (though I could be better)
I like financial planning and explaining budgeting to people, but I don’t want a sales position like CFP seems to start out as.
Public speaking
Working/crunching numbers
Ability to work remote (hybrid or full time)
Data analytics (need to be better)

Things I’m good at:

Planning
Attention to detail
Understanding Policies and procedures
Deadlines

There’s a whole laundry list of things I could continue to go on, but curious as to people’s thoughts/suggestions on what career my suit me. Financial analyst, credit analyst, and something in data analytics (maybe get a certificate in the next two years?) are things I’ve thought about.

CPA doesn’t seem to make much sense in pursuing because I don’t want to work the busy tax season. Yes, it’s a good certificate to have and will help get me into a bank but I’m not sure I “need” it with all my experience.

CFP seems interesting but I know gently caress all about the career. I work with a CFP and plan on talking with him about that path.

I’m in Connecticut and don’t plan on relocating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What rank are you and experience do you have managing teams (civvy and enlisted/other officers)?

Your probably qualified for leadership in a finance organization, which is probably way more money and way less work than being a cpa.