Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gort posted:

Are massively-inflated-to-the-point-where-a-judge-can-call-it-obvious-and-throw-it-out property values a common problem in the USA?

We also like to massively deflate property values when it comes to lowering property tax bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Eric made multiple posts along the lines of 'Other peoples homes are worth more than that!'.
Even though he knows how the pricing was obtained.
Trump has since made multiple all caps rage posts, one he posted twice.
It makes me so happy when he rage posts, though I know he's just inciting others to target the people he rages against.

It bothers me that they are so sure that we are all so stupid.

“No, the 18 million dollar valuation isn’t what we worked with the city and county to determine as our tax liability for the last decade and filed with our signatures on it, it’s a number made up by a judge in New York.”

Saying that mar-a-lago is worth a billion dollars to one group and then to a different group that it’s only worth 18 million is exactly what this case was about and yet they will still just gaslight and bluster and double down.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as an aside, people tend to be surprised just how little big old buildings like that are actually worth, particularly once they're the better part of a century old. basically you've got an issue with them not being the building that someone necessarily wants for the specific piece of property/purpose and second, if they keep the building, they're now on the hook for the maintenance and upkeep and that can absolutely end up in 7 figures a year, particularly if they are registered as historic and have preservation requirements

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 28, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Are massively-inflated-to-the-point-where-a-judge-can-call-it-obvious-and-throw-it-out property values a common problem in the USA?

Yes (maybe not massively, but definitely inflated), because no one really looks into it unless it is specifically egregious. The whole point is to inflate value to use as collateral on a loan. As long as you make payments and don't try to overthrow the American Democracy, no one really cares. This is a very broad statement and I am not an authority on the subject frfr.

ummel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 28, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Don’t sleep on the Trump Org Fraud summary judgement ruling:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23991872/ny-ruling-on-trump-business-fraud.pdf

He’s got footnotes quoting Marx brothers movies as he’s just hammering Trumps arguments.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's right - all these homes should be burned to the ground

The good news is— if you're not choosy in how they get destroyed— they'll all be gone in my lifetime.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I guess I don't understand how Trump gets to claim a value at all for the purposes of getting a loan? If I go get a loan using my house as collateral the bank isn't going to just value it at whatever I say it is, they'll assign a value based on comps etc. I realize billionaires and the banks that serve them aren't playing by the same rules but is that all it is? I would assume when banks are giving out huge loans to corporations and individuals they do due diligence on the value of the underlying assets so was this special treatment only for Trump? I mean it is one thing if they are all overinflating values by a few percentage points but I find it hard to believe that anybody playing at that level can just claim whatever valuations they want without getting called on it?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

D-Pad posted:

I guess I don't understand how Trump gets to claim a value at all for the purposes of getting a loan? If I go get a loan using my house as collateral the bank isn't going to just value it at whatever I say it is, they'll assign a value based on comps etc. I realize billionaires and the banks that serve them aren't playing by the same rules but is that all it is? I would assume when banks are giving out huge loans to corporations and individuals they do due diligence on the value of the underlying assets so was this special treatment only for Trump? I mean it is one thing if they are all overinflating values by a few percentage points but I find it hard to believe that anybody playing at that level can just claim whatever valuations they want without getting called on it?

the trump defense isn't exactly wrong when they say the bankers aren't innocent victims in all of this. they knew the numbers were bullshit, but at that level it's really more permissive, mostly with the goal of retaining high value clients who will take out frequent cash flow loans against their net worth, like trump. they'll take the hit on due diligence because the default risk seen as worth the repeat business

for another example look at elon musk almost brow beating banks into underwriting his purchase of twitter. the whole scheme was iffy on its face given musk's ...erratic personality. the banks ended up taking a significant haircut on it, but are willing to do so to have a shot at financing his regular billion dollar personal loans against his tesla shares

this is why the judge had to emphasize in his order that the banks having knowledge that the numbers were baseless, or that they turned a profit on the loans is not pertinent to the law. the law in question as written makes it clear that act of lying is what matters, not the outcome

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

It also mentions that even if the banks made money, if they had the real picture of how much Trump's stuff was worth, the banks would have increased the interest rates on his loans (since he's more risky) and made even more money.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ardlen posted:

It also mentions that even if the banks made money, if they had the real picture of how much Trump's stuff was worth, the banks would have increased the interest rates on his loans (since he's more risky) and made even more money.

Yeah this is what is kind of confusing me. I have zero experience at all but I bet if I was given one of his properties to value I could come up with a number closer to reality than Trump apparently listed which leads me to believe the banks didn't even try at all. Like some of the stuff given as examples is so outrageously overpriced that somebody in that position could probably tell at a glance.

It's just greed all the way down.

Caros
May 14, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Yeah this is what is kind of confusing me. I have zero experience at all but I bet if I was given one of his properties to value I could come up with a number closer to reality than Trump apparently listed which leads me to believe the banks didn't even try at all. Like some of the stuff given as examples is so outrageously overpriced that somebody in that position could probably tell at a glance.

It's just greed all the way down.

Are you telling me that duechebank engaged in fraud?

I... I never thought this day would come.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Caros posted:

Hand over my heart, I'm shocked I say, shocked.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Gort posted:

No, most houses are within a very narrow band price-wise and banks are happy to make you pay for an appraisal to confirm the value. It only becomes a problem once you reach a certain threshold in value (multi-million dollar homes) or with unique properties, like ocean-front, commercial, etc. Even for those, you would expect them to still get an independent appraisal.

The idea that someone can just tell the bank how much their property is worth, and the bank is willing to loan money based on that? That is a farce. It does not happen unless the bank is also willing to look the other way.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Slowpoke! posted:

No, most houses are within a very narrow band price-wise and banks are happy to make you pay for an appraisal to confirm the value. It only becomes a problem once you reach a certain threshold in value (multi-million dollar homes) or with unique properties, like ocean-front, commercial, etc. Even for those, you would expect them to still get an independent appraisal.

The idea that someone can just tell the bank how much their property is worth, and the bank is willing to loan money based on that? That is a farce. It does not happen unless the bank is also willing to look the other way.

I recall a Propublica article years ago that was basically about this and some whistleblower found out and made some big deal about it. I don't know if it ever went anywhere

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Caros posted:

The following day, NBC News finally breaks the story we all knew was there, but nobody had put their name on it. Now they have a whistleblower who is publicly stating it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ushner-n1007501

gregday
May 23, 2003

mdemone posted:

The following day, NBC News finally breaks the story we all knew was there, but nobody had put their name on it. Now they have a whistleblower who is publicly stating it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ushner-n1007501

Article is from 2019.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

The Statements of Financial Condition have legal requirements and carry more weight than just you filling in the blank of what you think your asset is worth.

That’s why there is this trial and it’s why Trump is in the process of having his businesses dissolved.

It’s why Engoron can say the argument that Trumps disclaimer that his reports aren’t to be relied on have no merit.

Trumps entire argument for this first count was, “Yes I made up these numbers and yes I used different numbers based on who I was talking to and how I felt that day but that’s okay because the banks didn’t care” and just kept repeating that even though the judge and the appeals court both said, “that’s not the law” enough times that his whole legal team has been sanctioned.

So, it doesn’t even matter, at least in NY, if the bank looks the other way.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 29, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

So, it doesn’t even matter, at least in NY, if the bank looks the other way.

The bank looking the other way is just a conspiracy charge on top of the fraud charge.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

D-Pad posted:

i think people assume that when hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake, there is a fuckton of analysis and legions of smart people verifying everything

that is...not really the case

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Normally, it is. However Donald Trump is such a profligate fraudster that the assumption banks have when dealing with him is that he is committing fraud, so no need to confirm that. Instead it is a question of whether they can make money off his continued business.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

as an aside, people tend to be surprised just how little big old buildings like that are actually worth, particularly once they're the better part of a century old. basically you've got an issue with them not being the building that someone necessarily wants for the specific piece of property/purpose and second, if they keep the building, they're now on the hook for the maintenance and upkeep and that can absolutely end up in 7 figures a year, particularly if they are registered as historic and have preservation requirements

Look at every valuation and the land is usually worth more than the improvements.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lets not forget that most large banks were/are in the position of already being dumb enough to loan Trump millions of dollars, and thus are in the odd position where big boy business accounting indicates that giving him even more money is the best way to get some money back. If you can find a way to owe the money guys enough, they'll jump through nearly as many hoops to keep your business as if you were actually worth hundreds of millions.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought the deal with Trump is that the large banks weren't willing to do business with him, and he was having to rely on the banks who had permissive stances on fraud and money laundering, such as Deutsche Bank.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Morrow posted:

Normally, it is. However Donald Trump is such a profligate fraudster that the assumption banks have when dealing with him is that he is committing fraud, so no need to confirm that. Instead it is a question of whether they can make money off his continued business.
Yes. Considering the listed square footage was triple the actual, pretty sure anyone nowadays could go on Google Maps, eyeball the three dimensions of his buildings, assume it's a perfect cuboid of available floor space every twelve feet up and still end up way short.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gyges posted:

Lets not forget that most large banks were/are in the position of already being dumb enough to loan Trump millions of dollars, and thus are in the odd position where big boy business accounting indicates that giving him even more money is the best way to get some money back. If you can find a way to owe the money guys enough, they'll jump through nearly as many hoops to keep your business as if you were actually worth hundreds of millions.

"If you owe the bank a hundred dollars, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, the bank has a problem"

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1707842480358518922?t=-ojfdNbtvgiIDnU8PX5r7w&s=19

So apparently one of Trump's Rico buddies just pled guilty. That... Probably isn't good for him.

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1707845032860926044?t=vDqjH2mEYsjG3ypOEZ4OXA&s=19

Five years probation, $5000 fine. Requirement to 'testify truthfully in this case and all other proceedings'

That feels like a flip to me.

Caros fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Caros posted:

So apparently one of Trump's Rico buddies just pled guilty. That... Probably isn't good for him.
Buddy is strong. Scott Hall strikes me as much more of an outsider.

Caros posted:

Five years probation, $5000 fine. Requirement to 'testify truthfully in this case and all other proceedings'

Jokes aside, Hall is one of the folks getting rung up on the Coffee County data/machine fuckery. It's extremely unlikely he has anything directly on Trump but him flipping does constrain Powell and Latham and also he may be able to further implicate the CyberNinja idiot (rumored as a co-conspirator)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O no not the bail bondsman.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Hall is one of the folks getting rung up on the Coffee County data/machine fuckery. It's extremely unlikely he has anything directly on Trump

Until we find the message "do this for me and I'll sign a hat for you"

Caros
May 14, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

Buddy is strong. Scott Hall strikes me as much more of an outsider.

Jokes aside, Hall is one of the folks getting rung up on the Coffee County data/machine fuckery. It's extremely unlikely he has anything directly on Trump but him flipping does constrain Powell and Latham and also he may be able to further implicate the CyberNinja idiot (rumored as a co-conspirator)

He does have a direct connection to Jeffery Clarke in the form of an hour long phone call. The line there is pretty much Hall-Clarke-Trump.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of Clark, Judge Jones just denied his request for removal to federal court: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23999838/ruling-on-jeffrey-clark-removal-request.pdf

It's what we expected. 1) It wasn't his job and 2) although 'maybe' the president could have given him that job there was no evidence he did and 3) also the letter was probably entirely outside the scope of DOJs authority but that's not relevant because see 1 and 2.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So for anyone who is a huge nerd, Judge McAfee has a YouTube channel which includes the Plea deal. What an age we live in.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I could get out of this mess with just misdemeanors I would jump at that.

Also that YouTube is just my kind of nerdery.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1707842480358518922?t=-ojfdNbtvgiIDnU8PX5r7w&s=19

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1707845032860926044?t=vDqjH2mEYsjG3ypOEZ4OXA&s=19

This dude to the prosecutors getting off easy for flipping on Donny.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Judges should start twitch accounts and livestream proceedings.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Judges should start twitch accounts and livestream proceedings.

I for one look forward to the appointment of America's first vtuber judge.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Even if it’s just one guy that will increase the squeeze on some of the peripheral actors, does it start to ratchet up pressure and create FOMO for others to flip before they suddenly have zero leverage?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Paracaidas posted:

Scott Hall strikes me as much more of an outsider.

Heard he was a new world order type

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

smackfu posted:

If I could get out of this mess with just misdemeanors I would jump at that.

Also that YouTube is just my kind of nerdery.

5 years probation, 5k fine, some miscellany, must cooperate with the feds

this is what you get for flipping first (and, presumably, being pretty low on the totem pole, but if Sidney Powell said "I will single-handedly give you Donald Trump on a silver platter" I bet she'd get a similar deal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think we’re all gonna find he was just the coffee bail bondsman.