Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

Below that picture is "Prototype M.2 HAT. Final hardware will not look like this."

oh i got it from videocardz and they neglected to include that information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I wonder if Plex Media Server will finally use the HW codec.

Probably not. But maybe this will be beefy enough to run Jellyfin (which does)!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dusted off my 3B for a side project because my 4B is already engaged in one and it really reminded me how power hungry the 4 is. Yeah the numbers are right there on the spec sheet but it's still a wakeup to actually witness it. The 4 will use about 2% of my 25 mah power bank per hour and the 3B used 3% in three.

Obviously workload matters but the two jobs aren't that far apart. The 4 runs an LCD hat and copies files off a mirrorless camera to a SSD and the 3 uses the pi camera to take a photo once every second.

Anyways that was my fun for the evening. Timelapses are cool.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I really feel like the Pi B series is actually losing utility each new release since the Pi 4. Losing the full size HDMI means that it is not as convenient to use in a place where there are no mini HDMI cables. Increased power draw means they are not as useful in embedded or off grid applications, and they need more complex and less common power supplies that one might already have lying around the house.

Yes, the loss in utility is offset by better use as a "desktop" but it still isn't a good desktop. It feels like that is the way the Pi B is going though. My wish for the next Pi B is that if they keep moving it in the direction of being a desktop replacement, the USB-C port can start supporting things like DP-alt mode and USB-3.2 or USB-4.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If I'm only really intending to use a raspberry pi as a mini desktop to tinker with, should I be waiting for the 5B? I haven't played around with one since the first iterations. (I think the one I have that burnt out is a B series?)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If you're comparing to the OG first gen RPi, there's been hyuuuuuge leaps since then. For one, they were single core, which everyone forgot how much sucked.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've got an original Pi B (not B+) and it is indeed quite slow. Good enough for a Pihole serving a handful of clients, but I wouldn't run anything intensive on it. Maybe a simple webcam + web server and a temperature+humidity sensor to keep an eye on my greenhouse or something

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

If I'm only really intending to use a raspberry pi as a mini desktop to tinker with, should I be waiting for the 5B? I haven't played around with one since the first iterations. (I think the one I have that burnt out is a B series?)

Probably, but I guess it depends what desktop stuff you want to tinker with?

By all reporting, the Pi 4 is slow but usable as a desktop. The main thing that gets called out is that web browsing doesn't feel great. The Pi 5 is a lot faster. It's very similar to some high-end SBCs from the last year powered by RK3588 which had much better desktop experience (but more weirdness because all the not-Pis don't have Raspberry's level of software quality).

But, thread title. If you actually want a general purpose desktop, a cheap $100-150 used micro-desktop business machine is still the best option in most ways. So for example if the goal is to learn linux and you just want a 2nd computer to do that with, get a real machine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m kind of meh on the 5. The most notable thing about it is the possibility of getting a nvme on there to not have to deal with the limitations of SD cards. You could already accomplish that with the 4 and assorted cases though this would be performant. That said, thread title at that point. The price point is gone, the power draw stuff is gone. Eh.

This said I have a 4 nvme setup and I greatly enjoy it as a headless general workstation server so chase your bliss.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Probably, but I guess it depends what desktop stuff you want to tinker with?

By all reporting, the Pi 4 is slow but usable as a desktop. The main thing that gets called out is that web browsing doesn't feel great. The Pi 5 is a lot faster. It's very similar to some high-end SBCs from the last year powered by RK3588 which had much better desktop experience (but more weirdness because all the not-Pis don't have Raspberry's level of software quality).

But, thread title. If you actually want a general purpose desktop, a cheap $100-150 used micro-desktop business machine is still the best option in most ways. So for example if the goal is to learn linux and you just want a 2nd computer to do that with, get a real machine.

Hm. Yeah, it's mostly for the sake of playing around with Linux and maybe actually learning how to use it-- I don't really need it for RetroPi purposes anymore since I've got a MiSTer and a Steam Deck now, and that was the main reason I used my original one.

What's a good micro-desktop to look into, should I take that route?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

Beelink is making NUC-style boxes for $150-200 with ram and cheap small SSD included. (Or, for $250, you can get one with dual LAN ports and get into home networking poo poo.)

Cheaper option, used Dell optiplex or lenovo thinkcenter, go on amazon or ebay and look for those plus "micro" or "tiny". There's a lot of options in the $100-150 zone. These are all gonna be used so check the seller ratings before you buy just in case.

(Even cheaper option: just use your main desktop, possibly by adding a $50 ssd if you don't want to mess up your existing storage. UEFI booting means you can do this without touching the other drives.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 29, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klyith posted:

And that's why the Zero W is the best Pi. Tiny, cheap, low power, enough CPU, full GPIO.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cruft posted:

I wonder if Plex Media Server will finally use the HW codec.

Probably not. But maybe this will be beefy enough to run Jellyfin (which does)!

Current info is that pi5 does not have any HW encode capability only decode.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Klyith posted:

(Even cheaper option: just use your main desktop, possibly by adding a $50 ssd if you don't want to mess up your existing storage. UEFI booting means you can do this without touching the other drives.)

And if you're just lightly touching it, VMWare + Ubuntu for the full OS; Windows Subsystem Linux for just the command line.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KozmoNaut posted:

And that's why the Zero W is the best Pi. Tiny, cheap, low power, enough CPU, full GPIO.

Kinda gets to my feelings on the main Pi being kinda redundant now, all the actually cool Pi project I see are using a Zero, Pico or Compute Module. I haven't seen anything really use the full Pi 4 in a project.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

njsykora posted:

Kinda gets to my feelings on the main Pi being kinda redundant now, all the actually cool Pi project I see are using a Zero, Pico or Compute Module. I haven't seen anything really use the full Pi 4 in a project.

You'd think I'd have an easier time finding them, then.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah I’m a total convert, I don’t think I can go back. I do wish it wasn’t usb micro for power but other than that, it’s perfect.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah I’m a total convert, I don’t think I can go back. I do wish it wasn’t usb micro for power but other than that, it’s perfect.

How hard would it be to resolder a W with USB-C for power, I wonder? I guess not trivial or people would do it more often.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Framboise posted:

Hm. Yeah, it's mostly for the sake of playing around with Linux and maybe actually learning how to use it-- I don't really need it for RetroPi purposes anymore since I've got a MiSTer and a Steam Deck now, and that was the main reason I used my original one.

If that’s the case then you’re gonna be way, way happier picking up a refurb office PC in whatever form factor (tower to USFF) from eBay or your local marketplaces for $80-$200 and just slapping whatever Linux you want onto that.

Then you can decide later if you want to drop more cash on a new/more powerful Linux machine or you want to put a partition on your Windows PC, or whatever.

USFF Optiplex or IdeaStation or whatever will be the bee’s knees for not taking up space and being cute, but you’ll be limited to onboard GPU, whereas something bigger will give you at least some options for adding a GPU and possibly messing around with Proton gaming/etc in the future (keep in mind that office PCs usually have very little power supply headroom and might max out at like 400 or 500 watts. You can often get upgrade replacements, often OEM stuff meant for Alienware or XPS bto or whatever, and they can be cheap, but also they are usually used/grey market and that poo poo gets sketchy fast unless you’re like actually overpaying for a PSU from Dell, etc. so prolly best to stick to a relatively low power GPU).

I really like the look of SFF and low-profile cases but those limit you to low-profile GPUs at best and those can often be a bit pricey for what you get. A regular fat tower will give you the most flexibility if you plan on doing any kind of graphics upgrade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The optiplexes are really easy to shop for. The first two digits of the model number indicate what generation CPU you're going to get, the second two digits indicate how many features it is supposed to have. This won't always be true, since these are going to be used machines so they have whatever the seller has put into them. But that's also really easy to figure out because it's just CPU, RAM, and SSD. Make sure that what you buy actually does have RAM and an SSD, because there are a lot of sellers that list their optiplex or nuc or whatever at the same price as everyone else but do not include RAM or an SSD. The rest is just looking at the picture in the ad and reading the description to see what else it has. The pictures will tell you what ports are on the front and back, and maybe if it has wifi or not. These things are great for learning linux because you can always just wipe and start over, and it's on an actual machine so you don't have to deal with any weirdness that comes with a VM.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

How hard would it be to resolder a W with USB-C for power, I wonder? I guess not trivial or people would do it more often.

If they made a zero with a usb-a port and I'd get one because micro-usb bugs the hell out of me.. a proper usb-a port and an ethernet jack is the main reason I've only bought B models. Micro power ports I can sort of tolerate because I usually tape the wire to the case for support but for peripherals it's just a matter of time before it falls out or bends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

If they made a zero with a usb-a port and I'd get one because micro-usb bugs the hell out of me.. a proper usb-a port and an ethernet jack is the main reason I've only bought B models. Micro power ports I can sort of tolerate because I usually tape the wire to the case for support but for peripherals it's just a matter of time before it falls out or bends.

I don't think those things would even fit on a zero. Not to mention that USB A is a host port, not a power in port.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Wyse 5070 "thin clients" are $50 or less on eBay if you just want a cheap desktop - they're Intel J4105/5005 with 2/3 4K-capable DisplayPort outputs, M.2 SATA, and the ability to run at least 16GB of dual-channel DDR4. Idle power is like 5-7W and it runs off a standard Dell laptop brick.

e: I forgot but according to the spec sheet the Type-C port on the front is also a DP output. You can't use all of them at once, but if you really need that many monitors there's also the "extended" version which can fit a low-profile graphics card.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, yeah, I meant a usb-a for data. Yeah there's the model A which next time I buy is probably what I'll get, not sure why I haven't done it yet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nybble posted:

And if you're just lightly touching it, VMWare + Ubuntu for the full OS; Windows Subsystem Linux for just the command line.

Yeah, though I think that's better if you want to learn / tinker with something specific, like Docker or whatever.

For just general learning the OS, there's nothing better than full immersion IMO.

Subjunctive posted:

You can get power-only USB C connectors that would be possible to hand-solder (data USB-C jacks, no). But they're not the same dimensions as micro so it's not some drop-in replacement on an existing board.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am not super excited about the 5, unless the GPU is just super amazing this time around

Looks like it is on average 2x faster than the 4, anywhere from ~1.7 to 3.5x faster depending

Will it be able to run chrome and gmail without complaint? I guess that's my benchmark at this point. But then, thread title

A raspberry pi 5 in the "zero" form factor would be at least moderately interesting. There are a lot of things you could plug that in to for displays and a lot of software/electron apps that render using chrome's engine where a 5 zero would be interesting, particularly with like 8gb memory

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm going to sell a service clearly advertised as moving the surface mount resistor from wherever it is currently located to the 8GB position, making no references to the system memory.

You and half of ebay

Silkscreen might have been a thousandth of a cent more expensive but anyone with a soldering gun can now sell counterfit 8GB models at a $20 markup. Good luck getting a clean resolution with your online marketplace with that one. Hopefully it's not that bad and this is correctly handled by hardware

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im going to solder all of the jumpers to make a 15GB pi5

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I suppose someone with a pick and place machine can get an assembly line going of fake 8GB Pi5s, but if they show a picture of it being in the 8GB spot, it will probably be somewhat easy to tell if it's been hand soldered.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Sorry, yeah, I meant a usb-a for data. Yeah there's the model A which next time I buy is probably what I'll get, not sure why I haven't done it yet.

I have a Pi 3 A (that I accidentally killed by bridging 3v and 5v and haven't gotten around to replacing the power chip yet), that's pretty decent. But the 3 was the last time they sold an A model. The 4 is B only, and I assume the 5 will also only be B.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Had a few days to think, and I think I've cooled on the 5. It won't do anything substantially better than what I already use a Pi 4 for, which is a cheapo NAS.

I think I've made the jump to caring more about what Compute Module Pis look like going forward. All the projects I care about were already using the CM form factor.

And I probably would be more interested in the 5 if Alder Lake-N mini-PCs hadn't hit Aliexpress over the summer, I have an N305 mini PC on the way already.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fooling around with a Pi 4 and an 8 ohm speaker hooked up to GPIO pins (dtoverlay=audremap,pins_18_19 in config.txt). It is, of course, very quiet.

Bought a little PAM8403 amplifier board from Amazon and while it's louder, it also picks up a hell of a lot of noise from the onboard wifi. If I plug in headphones and listen very carefully, I can hear the same noise faintly there.

What's a better option for getting non-noisy audio out of this thing and into a speaker? I know it can do audio via HDMI, and then there's the option of a USB sound card... I assume most of my problem is that the wifi antenna goes right past the GPIO pin traces, because I only pick up noise when I'm actually connected to the pins (doesn't seem to be getting induced into the leads, I mean)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Back in the day, it was the HiFi Berry, and there were some clones / similar systems. Just good quality external DACs. I assume it's similar, still

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's a better option for getting non-noisy audio out of this thing and into a speaker?

Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle and a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Unbeatable performance to price ratio.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ante posted:

Back in the day, it was the HiFi Berry, and there were some clones / similar systems. Just good quality external DACs. I assume it's similar, still

Note that this is a 3" speaker for a not-so-smart speaker project I'm fooling around with... it just needs to do mono voice with reasonable clarity

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Pham Nuwen posted:

Fooling around with a Pi 4 and an 8 ohm speaker hooked up to GPIO pins (dtoverlay=audremap,pins_18_19 in config.txt). It is, of course, very quiet.

Bought a little PAM8403 amplifier board from Amazon and while it's louder, it also picks up a hell of a lot of noise from the onboard wifi. If I plug in headphones and listen very carefully, I can hear the same noise faintly there.

What's a better option for getting non-noisy audio out of this thing and into a speaker? I know it can do audio via HDMI, and then there's the option of a USB sound card... I assume most of my problem is that the wifi antenna goes right past the GPIO pin traces, because I only pick up noise when I'm actually connected to the pins (doesn't seem to be getting induced into the leads, I mean)

ante posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but Adafruit used to have this thing. It's an i2S stereo decoder. I have an extra one of these if Pham wants it.

They replaced it with the MAX98357 audio amp, but it doesn't come with an audio jack and its mono (you need to buy two for stereo).

I think the audio quality on both are really good. Low background noise all around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle and a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Unbeatable performance to price ratio.

this is the way

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Is that going to be able to drive a speaker, rather than just a pair of headphones?

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but Adafruit used to have this thing. It's an i2S stereo decoder. I have an extra one of these if Pham wants it.

They replaced it with the MAX98357 audio amp, but it doesn't come with an audio jack and its mono (you need to buy two for stereo).

I think the audio quality on both are really good. Low background noise all around.

The MAX98357 amp actually seems perfect because I'm only interested in mono anyway. I may just order one of the many clones on Amazon. Combined with the Adafruit I2S MEMs mic, it should Suit My Needs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is that going to be able to drive a speaker, rather than just a pair of headphones?

Only quietly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

The MAX98357 amp actually seems perfect because I'm only interested in mono anyway. I may just order one of the many clones on Amazon. Combined with the Adafruit I2S MEMs mic, it should Suit My Needs.

What do you mean “drive a speaker?” It’s a headphone-level output that IIRC operates in line-out (ie line level) mode when plugged into the right resistive load.

You’ll need to power your speaker, so maybe something with an onboard amp will be better for your needs. Probably shouldn’t drive the speaker straight off the rPi (are you doing that with the pins?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm like 99% sure line level and headphone out are two different things. You can dial headphone out down to a line out where it's (mostly) usable but I definitely recall plugging the headphone out of my walkman into the line in of an old junkyard receiver in the 90s and blowing out the speaker because the walkman was set to 3/4 volume. Line out isn't designed to drive two 40mm "studio" over-ear headphone speakers with 'x-tra bass'

I dunno how you would design a 3.5mm jack that can smartly switch between line and headphone. I don't think line level has some magic resistor in the plug. USB-C does have a "headphone out" resistor pin drop spec that allows it to function as a headphone out, but I don't think it can magically switch between headphone and line out

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 2, 2023