Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I usually do not like the first 2-5 episodes of any season, and this is really no exception. But I will say the extra 30 minutes allowed more strategy than we usually get for vote 1, not that it ended up mattering too much.

The tribes are really unbalanced to the point of it being silly. It really felt like a late 80s, early 90s fishes out of water movie where a group of people were somehow forced to play Survivor against a bunch of jocks/townies/(college) greeks/real estate developers without any actual chance of winning. I'm expecting the next episode that Goldie Hawn is going to be revealed as the alternate and her job is going to coach these guys to winning the show.

STAC Goat posted:

People make mistakes. No one was harmed by Hannah’s. No animal or human. At most some random person didn’t get on a tv show. There was no malice, just someone taking on a challenge she wasn’t up for. Learn to forgive and empathize and gently caress hate. Especially people trying to malicious harm someone, something she never did.

Yeah. It's fairly relatable, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Watching Hannah go, makes me feel like I'd make it really far without insulin before dying.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

If you're on a medication chronically and it doesn't give you any kind of advantage, it seems insane to withhold it?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FlashFearless posted:

If you're on a medication chronically and it doesn't give you any kind of advantage, it seems insane to withhold it?

Well a lot of medicines can respond differently and poorly to your body being subjected to the stress that Survivor puts it under. You're going days without regular food, getting very very little sleep, exposed to the elements and accumulating tons of insect bites and thats not counting any additional pain or injuries or infections that you could potentially suffer.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Assuming Brandon goes in the next couple episodes, I do feel for him. From his pre-game interviews, he was clearly so excited to be part of 'the community' and the 'survivor family', and now he'll probably go down as a joke. It's one thing to get your dream smashed, it's another thing for it to happen in front of everyone you wanted to succeed for. Something he loves is about to become very painful to think about.

Oddly enough, Hannah, by having the healthier attitude of 'gently caress this noise', elicits less sympathy. Hopefully it still goes without saying that fans shouldn't be trying to harass her in the real world about it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I would imagine for a lot of survivor contestants being on survivor would hurt your real life because the show constantly portrays most people as liars or inept. As they’ve leaned hard into casting superfans it seems to get worse.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Well a lot of medicines can respond differently and poorly to your body being subjected to the stress that Survivor puts it under. You're going days without regular food, getting very very little sleep, exposed to the elements and accumulating tons of insect bites and thats not counting any additional pain or injuries or infections that you could potentially suffer.

Are you suggesting that all those stressors would make withdrawal from regular meds somehow easier or better?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I hold no ill will towards Hannah. Quitting isn’t great for the game but it’s just a game/show. If something is hurting you and you can walk away that might be the healthy choice. The internet and survivor fanbase is so hateful and obsessed I have no doubt she’s now getting the worst poo poo thrown at her. For a dumb tv show. Sigh.
I agree with this to some extent, but also when you sign up for something and make a commitment you owe it to everyone to try to stick it out and honor that as best you can. At a certain point the neverending "you gotta do what's good for YOU" therapy mantra circles back to being more harmful than helpful. The nicotine bit complicates things a lot because that probably made it way, way more difficult than it looked like, but at the same time it means there's a hump you can get past. Demon_Corsair mentioned she should've tried camping for a weekend; she should've tried camping for a weekend no nicotine... She said she brought nicotine packets(?) to pre-game ponderosa and decided to quit when they ran out, but she brought enough that she didn't, so she was cold turkey going into the game. Just not a good idea.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 29, 2023

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

The guy can have his omeprazol.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JesusSinfulHands posted:

it's loving hilarious that on On Fire: The Official Survivor Podcast Jeff went out of his way to passively aggressively poo poo on Adam's business helping people get on the show. Specifically by saying that they you just need to be yourself and that the casting department knows what it's doing when in the EXACT same episode they had their worst casting mistake in ages
Also according to Adam that's exactly what he does.

he just helps your application package hit better. He seems to be pretty good at it. I understand if you're Jeff you don't like the idea that people are getting professional help on their audition tapes and possibly getting you to bite when you wouldn't have otherwise, so he's kind of in denial about it and says they would've got in anyway. On the other hand if they wouldn't have that's not great either because it means there might've been people out there who would've been cast but just didn't pay for that help to get their auditions as polished. I guess if i had to think about it, I don't like that this service exists, and I have to hope Adam isn't taking money from desperate people with no hope of getting on the show. but like, I'm not pissed off at him for having this business, it makes sense that it's something that exists.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 29, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Look, we're in a space here where we make fun, but at the end of the day, I blame the casting directors who put these people in knowing full well they're gonna get dunked on for entertainment purposes.

I'd personally love to be in Survivor I'm pretty in shape despite being diabetic but I would ABSOLUTELY either be the butt of the joke, or die for their amusement.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Diabetic posted:

Look, we're in a space here where we make fun, but at the end of the day, I blame the casting directors who put these people in knowing full well they're gonna get dunked on for entertainment purposes.

I'd personally love to be in Survivor I'm pretty in shape despite being diabetic but I would ABSOLUTELY either be the butt of the joke, or die for their amusement.

Same but instead of diabetes I'm just allergic to too much stuff that you just can't be allergic to if you want to be on the show.

I'm also not in great shape but if I was gonna be on survivor you bet your rear end I would be running or in the gym every day of the week to get ready.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I feel for Hannah, and I feel like I know a dozen friends just like her. That said, I think the best argument I saw against her quitting was on twitter, when someone pointed out that they literally bring in alternates to Fiji to train with everyone, and that there was another woman just sitting there who could have joined the show had Hannah just quit before actually hitting the beach.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

I agree with this to some extent, but also when you sign up for something and make a commitment you owe it to everyone to try to stick it out and honor that as best you can. At a certain point the neverending "you gotta do what's good for YOU" therapy mantra circles back to being more harmful than helpful. The nicotine bit complicates things a lot because that probably made it way, way more difficult than it looked like, but at the same time it means there's a hump you can get past. Demon_Corsair mentioned she should've tried camping for a weekend; she should've tried camping for a weekend no nicotine... She said she brought nicotine packets(?) to pre-game ponderosa and decided to quit when they ran out, but she brought enough that she didn't, so she was cold turkey going into the game. Just not a good idea.

Obviously she made some poor decisions getting to the island. She should have better prepped, tested herself, or evaluated her own needs and limits. She didn’t. She went on the show and broke down. So I dunno. At that point we either tell her to tough it out and live with the physical/emotional/mental poo poo she’s going through or she walks away. And maybe she made the wrong decision. I don’t know. Brandon seemed pretty beat down to and he found the strength to rally. Maybe Hannah would have slept next to a warm fire that night and been ok. Who knows?

But I dunno. Bad decisions or not I can’t get angry at someone who just hosed up and did what they thought they had to. Especially on a show where we often see the worst of people and how they treat each other come out. Hannah might regret this and might have done herself a disservice but that’s hers to live with. Hypothetically an alternate missed out on a chance but that’s hypotheticals and it just isn’t how it played out. So I dunno. Live and let live.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I totally agree we should just commit to anything and then pull out at the first mild obstacle. It's not like there is 44 prior season of the show to go back and observe how difficult it was before committing or anything. I personally just bought a house with a 25 year mortgage and am walking away from it because mowing the lawn was more effort than I imagined.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I don't care that she quit - people find themselves in situations sometimes that they can't handle and recognizing that and doing something about it is a healthy reaction in general.

However, the way she quit was extremely uncool. If she was going to pull herself out, she should have pulled herself out. Preferably before tribal, but at the very least then just be up front about it and say "Jeff I'm removing myself from the game." The whole "you all need to vote me or I might just leave anyway" is a dick move to the other five in her tribe, putting the onus on them when it was her decision.

It did make for fun entertainment, though.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

I don't care that she quit - people find themselves in situations sometimes that they can't handle and recognizing that and doing something about it is a healthy reaction in general.

However, the way she quit was extremely uncool. If she was going to pull herself out, she should have pulled herself out. Preferably before tribal, but at the very least then just be up front about it and say "Jeff I'm removing myself from the game." The whole "you all need to vote me or I might just leave anyway" is a dick move to the other five in her tribe, putting the onus on them when it was her decision.

It did make for fun entertainment, though.

I think the worry that people have is if they QUIT-quit, the tribe still has to vote someone out. In an 18-player season I don't think that's realistically gonna happen, but I still get why people want to make sure they're fulfilling the required elimination when they go.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

"Jeff, if I pull myself out of the game will there still be an elimination?"
"Cool, I pull myself out."

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

"Jeff, if I pull myself out of the game will there still be an elimination?"
"Cool, I pull myself out."

For sure, except Jeff isn't gonna say 'yes' or 'no', he's gonna do a deep dive on what you're feeling right now.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe, but if so then you can just tell people to vote for you up front after getting an explanation.

I still think the way she pulled it was extremely manipulative, trying to preserve her own “I didn’t quit” story at the expense of making the other five vote her off in what I can only imagine felt pretty lovely to the other people. Most people don’t want to vote someone off for non-game reasons.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
personally i love to get insanely mad because someone quit a reality tv show

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

barnold posted:

personally i love to get insanely mad because someone quit a reality tv show

Me too it's totally the same as sending dogs to shelters or bailing on your mortgage or whatever other insane comparisons have been made in this thread

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

boquiabierta posted:

Are you suggesting that all those stressors would make withdrawal from regular meds somehow easier or better?

the opposite

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm sorta glad she quit tbh. At a certain point Brandon collapsing and Emily antagonizing people might cease to be watchable TV, but for now, like others already mentioned, we get to keep them around and see if we get more of that stuff or maybe even see a cool rebound from them. So not mad, and I certainly don't agree with sending Hannah any hate or whatever. But i'm not quite ready to defend that quit, or the idea that you need to prioritize yourself above all else even if it means breaking a bunch of promises or obligations. Maybe she was at the point where that was the right call for her i guess, but also she was in a fine position in the game and might literally have cost herself the experience of a lifetime.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It does suck in any game when one person just quits and it fucks over other people who have been putting in real effort

And I want to say "but it's just a game" but this isn't people having two hours of a board game ruined, it's people who made major life choices and often gave a lot up to be there to try and win a lot of money

It really sucks

But it's still not the same as whatever dumb comparison to life and limb and it still may have been the right choice for her in the moment (I doubt it though, that's a regretter)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think there’s a space between defending all of her choices as the right ones and just not thinking it’s worth getting upset over or holding against her.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Nihonniboku posted:

I feel for Hannah, and I feel like I know a dozen friends just like her. That said, I think the best argument I saw against her quitting was on twitter, when someone pointed out that they literally bring in alternates to Fiji to train with everyone, and that there was another woman just sitting there who could have joined the show had Hannah just quit before actually hitting the beach.

Except she was excited about it and genuinely thought she could do it until she was actually in it. She’s said this multiple times and that there was no way to know how she personally would respond to the situation. She thought she’d respond one way and she was wrong. poo poo happens.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I do think there’s a space between defending all of her choices as the right ones and just not thinking it’s worth getting upset over or holding against her.

This, agreed 100%. It sucks that she quit, it was a lame ending to the episode and it sucks for whoever could've had her spot and taken better advantage of it. But at the same time, someone was always going home on day 3 and you can always make the argument that someone else might've done better / taken better advantage of their opportunity.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

boquiabierta posted:

Except she was excited about it and genuinely thought she could do it until she was actually in it. She’s said this multiple times and that there was no way to know how she personally would respond to the situation. She thought she’d respond one way and she was wrong. poo poo happens.

Yeah it's definitely not worth holding anything against her personally or really thinking about her at all as a person once the next episode airs

It's also true that we all only think and hope we know how we will respond to any given high-stress situation

But it's not like there's no way to practice hunger and exercise and camping

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

STAC Goat posted:

Can we just point and laugh until the next dumb thing happens? That’s my plan.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly since they will let someone who was barely in the game become it's winner, then they should cast a couple alternates just in case some goober Injures themselves or wants to quit in the first day or before or at first tribal.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

They should give Hannah the Bruce treatment for next season

inferis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 29, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leatherhead posted:

Assuming Brandon goes in the next couple episodes, I do feel for him. From his pre-game interviews, he was clearly so excited to be part of 'the community' and the 'survivor family', and now he'll probably go down as a joke. It's one thing to get your dream smashed, it's another thing for it to happen in front of everyone you wanted to succeed for. Something he loves is about to become very painful to think about.

Oddly enough, Hannah, by having the healthier attitude of 'gently caress this noise', elicits less sympathy. Hopefully it still goes without saying that fans shouldn't be trying to harass her in the real world about it.

I think it's possible to lean into it. Erik is infamous for his terrible mistake but has pretty much embraced it and makes fun of it himself. As long as you don't make Survivor your entire identity (unless you make a living from it, like Rob C), you can move on.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Another example is Billy Garcia who is generally widely liked in the community cause he has always embraced being a complete meme over, well, you are not a hardcore Survivor fan if you don't know what I am talking about

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jeff really needs to Undercover Boss himself as a contestant to see how it's like on the other side.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Jeff wouldn’t last 2 days. What I want is a documentary of all the crazy poo poo that’s happened like finding a brick of cocaine or bumming cigarettes from locals or stealing food from production.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

tony quidtana posted:

I totally agree we should just commit to anything and then pull out at the first mild obstacle. It's not like there is 44 prior season of the show to go back and observe how difficult it was before committing or anything. I personally just bought a house with a 25 year mortgage and am walking away from it because mowing the lawn was more effort than I imagined.

I love the “arguing with imaginary people” phase of a TV IV Soapbox Crusade

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shazbot posted:

Jeff wouldn’t last 2 days. What I want is a documentary of all the crazy poo poo that’s happened like finding a brick of cocaine or bumming cigarettes from locals or stealing food from production.

this is what i would love to hear too just like a fun 2 hour podcast of the weird non-game stuff that happens

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Ironic Twist posted:

I love the “arguing with imaginary people” phase of a TV IV Soapbox Crusade

what watching too much F1 does to a mfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I wish there was more camp life!
*monkey paw closes*
These people are unbearable.