Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ultima66 posted:

I honestly think the MODO implementation is a really lovely compromise. In situations that actually matter, it's really bad that you can't actually know how much mana the goblin will give before playing it, and also the actual distribution of mana it gives changes if you ever play a second goblin, because you'll have used up the highest vowel sticker already.

Like I'm not sure if it's a worse situation than just not having Legacy be even close to paper at all. The best scenario would be just having a time machine and making WotC not print all this supplemental garbage into Legacy that doesn't get supported in MODO, and since time machines don't exist the next best solution would be banning every card in Legacy that isn't on MODO. Coming up with an implementation that is this different from paper just furthers the MODO/paper divide. Not that WotC gives a poo poo about anything besides shoveling out poo poo EDH players will buy at the expense of literally every other format.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:aloom: Not your fault

!Klams posted:

Anyone know where I can get some really lime green sleeves? Like really high saturation lime green, ideally two tone? The draginshield apple green ones are nice sleeves, but I'm looking for something even greener.

Do they need to glow in the dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

!Klams posted:

No, none of them are actually very lime at all in person, the closest is the apple green ones. The olives look it there, but are more muted. I want vulgar.

The vulgar stuff is most likely going to be found on alibaba or something. You are really going to have to dig deep in the crazy offbrand stuff. I wish you well on your journey to exactly what you desire.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dual Matte Lightning are the brightest I've found in dragon shields and I kind of just don't use any others. It's straight yellow though. Perhaps we can start a petition because I also want maximally bright sleeves. Neon/reflex ink would be sick.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neon rear end sleeves that look like the intro to an early 90s teen sitcom

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sleeves with this on the back.

Not the pattern, that picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

where did this idea come from that removing the only target of a spell which is templated as "up to one target" would not fizzle it? I've seen this misunderstanding crop up a couple of times irl and online all of a sudden recently. like e.g. killing a creature targeted by witch's mark means you don't get to discard and draw cards.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

where did this idea come from that removing the only target of a spell which is templated as "up to one target" would not fizzle it? I've seen this misunderstanding crop up a couple of times irl and online all of a sudden recently. like e.g. killing a creature targeted by witch's mark means you don't get to discard and draw cards.

Because it's kinda silly a spell that doesn't need targets to be cast needs them to resolve

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sickening posted:

:aloom: Not your fault

Do they need to glow in the dark?

Don't need to, but wouldn't hurt!

Sickening posted:

The vulgar stuff is most likely going to be found on alibaba or something. You are really going to have to dig deep in the crazy offbrand stuff. I wish you well on your journey to exactly what you desire.

Yeah, ok, good shout. Thanks. I'm going in.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kalel posted:

I've seen a couple of paper gameplay youtubes make that rules mistake which will contribute a lot

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Because it's kinda silly a spell that doesn't need targets to be cast needs them to resolve

This. It's an anti-intuitive interaction and that means a lot of people will get it wrong, especially if they're less experienced.

There aren't a whole lot of cards that have "up to one target" being a rider on a main effect without having target(s) for the main effect, so unless you've spent years getting it drilled into you with choosing command modes it's an easy mistake to make.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
After getting into drafting via WOE on Arena, I may be going to an actual paper draft tomorrow.

It’d be my first in-person game in 20-ish years. I have nothing (sleeves, dice, counters, etc.). Is there anything that’d be good to bring? Is there anything that might be worth picking up at the store?

Anything to keep in mind about paper play compared to Arena?

Edit: also, I’ve been playing premier draft. Is there anything I should keep in mind about bo3 other than valuing sideboard cards more?

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 29, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

drainpipe posted:

After getting into drafting via WOE on Arena, I may be going to an actual paper draft tomorrow.

It’d be my first in-person game in 20-ish years. I have nothing (sleeves, dice, counters, etc.). Is there anything that’d be good to bring? Is there anything that might be worth picking up at the store?

Edit: also, I’ve been playing premier draft. Is there anything I should keep in mind about bo3 other than valuing sideboard cards more?

Bring notepaper and a pen, you can get sleeves and a deckbox there.

There's no substitute for tracking life totals on paper. Note every change in life totals for both players, so you can go back and see if you and your opponent disagree at any point about anyone's life total. You can also write down cards your opponent reveals if you get to look at their hand, or other notes.

Remember it's going to be Bo3 so sideboard cards are a little more pickable and it might be a good idea to make a note of good cards your opponent has for games 2 and 3.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

!Klams posted:

Don't need to, but wouldn't hurt!

Yeah, ok, good shout. Thanks. I'm going in.

On the topic of sleeves, I feel like we have some parallels with our short time desires.

I am shifting my wants of sleeves away from expensive, long lasting name brand sleeves into absurd/silly/chaotic crap sleeves I need to change way more often.

Because I have played so many formats and decks recently, I am ending up with expensive used sleeves pilling up all over the place. I am less inclined to get rid of used, expensive sleeves so I hold on to them but reusing them and storing them is a pain in the rear end. I find that if you stick with the same brand and color, you can't mix sleeves from different boxes as any vendor aren't identical enough in their cuts to make the sleeves not feel weird when mixed today.

I feel like random absurd sleeves that won't last me but a few weeks a play fits my needs more right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

A Moose posted:

Bring notepaper and a pen, you can get sleeves and a deckbox there.

There's no substitute for tracking life totals on paper. Note every change in life totals for both players, so you can go back and see if you and your opponent disagree at any point about anyone's life total. You can also write down cards your opponent reveals if you get to look at their hand, or other notes.

Remember it's going to be Bo3 so sideboard cards are a little more pickable and it might be a good idea to make a note of good cards your opponent has for games 2 and 3.

I suggest those planeswalker notepads they sell in the mtg sections of big box stores or in your lgs. They are the perfect size and have the right about of spacing per page to handle a single match. I think they are black with the planeswalker symbol on them?

I also recommend the boogie boards in the small size if you write well. It means less mess and is perfectly fine in a competitive match as long as you write well.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

They've pushed spindowns and the companion app life counter so much that it's had the funny effect of making pen and paper turn you into the odd man out at my fairly casual local store/scene. I've no joke a couple times had an opponent complain to me because I haven't had a prominent life counter sitting out in front somewhere because they're doing that very thing and only bothering to keep track of their own total. It feels very weird and I frequently want to do an old man yelling at cloud bit about how you just need to get a god drat notebook and pen.

For extra old man clout you can get a full sized 8.5x11 janky rear end looking yellow legal pad.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 29, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I can’t stand the phone trackers. The history is important. Had a guy in a draft last weekend conveniently forgetting to track his life total and then disputing the number. I like the approach of some others at my store, “you do whatever you want I’m writing ours both down and going off mine for the most part with your input and correction where appropriate.”

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Definitely worth downloading the mtg companion app on your phone and logging in. It uses the same account and password as arena. It'll show you the seat order for the draft, your pairings and you'll submit your results after the round with it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

This has an electric lime green: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN297rC

If you're browsing for cheap and funky sleeves on Ali, be warned that sellers use MTG and YGO sizes interchangeably, so if you're not sure, check the reviews. And even then, be ready to gamble.

Legion sleeves can be hit or miss. Their mattes get clingier (stickier?) faster than their glosses. https://www.legionsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I have been thinking about going to a live event with a deck that may not play very well live... it is basically a poison proliferation style deck. Reading up on who should be tracking poison counters apparently someone posted about playing with a poison proliferation deck (not the same one) and his opponent kept denying the poison status because they were using dice. First time they used his opponent's dice that he then "re-used" for counting something else, and the 2nd time his opponent took the player's dice that he used.... Apparently they had no judge at the FNM event and apparently that other guy had more friends than him at the event and he basically lost both games....

Anyways. I guess I'm bringing pen/paper if I do end up playing it.

Yiggy posted:

I can’t stand the phone trackers. The history is important. Had a guy in a draft last weekend conveniently forgetting to track his life total and then disputing the number. I like the approach of some others at my store, “you do whatever you want I’m writing ours both down and going off mine for the most part with your input and correction where appropriate.”

the companion app has history on it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I wanted the Pokemon van Gogh sleeves but they sold out in seconds while I was at the doctor

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They've pushed spindowns and the companion app life counter so much that it's had the funny effect of making pen and paper turn you into the odd man out at my fairly casual local store/scene. I've no joke a couple times had an opponent complain to me because I haven't had a prominent life counter sitting out in front somewhere because they're doing that very thing and only bothering to keep track of their own total. It feels very weird and I frequently want to do an old man yelling at cloud bit about how you just need to get a god drat notebook and pen.

For extra old man clout you can get a full sized 8.5x11 janky rear end looking yellow legal pad.

I use a cheap e-ink drawing tablet, you can get them for like $5 or less on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Elec...782136765&psc=1

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yiggy posted:

I've got a phone app that tracks the history as well actually. Which has come in handy a whole bunch of times when my opponent is tracking their life total via their app that doesn't lol

I think I bought it like, way back in 2012. It used to get updated with every release so that you could have all the new cards available for looking them up and pulling rulings, making decks and tracking them, all kinds of stuff.

Hasn't had an update in forever, but hey the life tracking is still the best out of any app I've used so I'm not gonna change it :shrug:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 29, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Apps with history address my complaints I incorrectly assumed they all lacked that. I think personally I prefer pad knowing that but I’ll concede it’s in part because I’m an old at this point.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Thanks! Didn't know about the app. I'll also bring a paper+pen just to prevent any shenanigans.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Apps with history address my complaints I incorrectly assumed they all lacked that. I think personally I prefer pad knowing that but I’ll concede it’s in part because I’m an old at this point.

Pen + Paper or one of the boogie board things is still a lot better for anything serious. At least in my opinion

It's not just the life tracking, it's things like tracking revealed cards (and crossing them off when they're played), plus any other notes you want to take during game. Plus, I think you can't actually use your phone at anything higher stakes/with more competitive rules iirc?

I've just generally stuck to super low stakes stuff like FNM or even more casual like free tournaments and stuff, so easier for me to just have my phone instead of bothering to track it by hand.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

drainpipe posted:

It's aimed at pre-release events but you can refer to this guide: https://draftsim.com/mtg-prerelease/ - for practical concerns, look at the section "what do I bring?" You should download the MTG "companion" app if you don't have it. I would also recommend bringing water and a snack if you're going to be there a while. And don't forget to shower.

As for the actual drafting, there are three big differences between in person best of three and best of one on arena: 1) since you'll be pod drafting, that is, playing against the people you draft with, hate drafting is a thing. It may be worth taking a bomb so that other players don't have it to increase your chances of winning the games. 2) sideboard cards tend to go up in your pick order slightly (e.g. effects that destroy artifacts or enchantments). however, since most cards are playable in modern draft formats, in practice this means that you'll have to evaluate your last four to six picks more closely instead of just picking whatever random garbage, like you might on Arena. 3) cards have monetary value in paper, unlike on Arena. It may be worth it to you to take a useless-in-limited card like Blood Moon if it pays for your draft - it's up to you.

I would say overall that those three points have a very minor effect on your pick orders in modern draft sets. You'll likely be fine just doing what you'd normally be doing.

The physical aspect of in-person drafting is probably the point that takes the most getting used to. Keep track of each separate pile of cards: the cards you've previously picked, the cards in the pack you're currently looking at, the pack you're being passed, and the pack you've already passed. Google "zone drafting mtg" for more context and info.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is just me but I'm only doing pad and paper at a competitive REL. If its an FNM or prerelease or whatever I'm using a big D20 spindown or two.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I idiotically store all my dice in the same big dice bag and picking out the right spindown to match the mood of your draft deck is a luxury that makes losing so many sealed pre-release FNMs worth it.

Really though I'd say most of the time my opponent has a tracker on their phone and we just use that. I don't really want a bunch of people touching my phone though so I don't do it myself.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm a creature of habit, and I always have a pocket notebook on me so I just use that. I also just like keeping notes/life totals independently of my opponent since people mishear and misremember things, having my own copy of information that could be contested is useful.

Also you can't write down and cross off the contents of a revealed hand with a life counter app.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

I'm a creature of habit, and I always have a pocket notebook on me so I just use that. I also just like keeping notes/life totals independently of my opponent since people mishear and misremember things, having my own copy of information that could be contested is useful.

Also you can't write down and cross off the contents of a revealed hand with a life counter app.

Yeah no matter what I'm using I always track both life totals independently from what my opponent is tracking just in case.

I've caught a few math errors that turned out to really matter where my opponent missed marking damage on their counter or whatever, enough times where I've just decided that it's better to do it as a habit. For that matter I've also made mistakes myself that my opponent corrected!

Really the revealed card stuff is the best reason to build the habit of not using an app if you're in a format where it matters

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

On the topic of sleeves, I feel like we have some parallels with our short time desires.

I am shifting my wants of sleeves away from expensive, long lasting name brand sleeves into absurd/silly/chaotic crap sleeves I need to change way more often.

Because I have played so many formats and decks recently, I am ending up with expensive used sleeves pilling up all over the place. I am less inclined to get rid of used, expensive sleeves so I hold on to them but reusing them and storing them is a pain in the rear end. I find that if you stick with the same brand and color, you can't mix sleeves from different boxes as any vendor aren't identical enough in their cuts to make the sleeves not feel weird when mixed today.

I feel like random absurd sleeves that won't last me but a few weeks a play fits my needs more right now.

Yeah even Dragon Shields aren't mixable from box to box. I sleeve all my Arkham Horror encounter cards in DS Matte Black sleeves. If you don't know that game, it's a coop Living Card Game where there's an encounter deck of Bad Stuff the players have to draw from, and that deck is made up out of encounter sets you mix and match to make up scenarios as the game instructs you. I kept buying DS Black Mattes over the years, and there's definitely a difference, even in boxes I bought at the same time period. It's not enough to tell what card is coming up, but it is enough to make the deck feel weird to shuffle, as you said; some are half a millimeter wider, shorter, or whatever. I used to think I could just buy the same sleeves and use them for every deck forever, but that's not possible.

Silhouette posted:

I use a cheap e-ink drawing tablet, you can get them for like $5 or less on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Elec...782136765&psc=1

Be careful with the cheap ones, some of them are so dull they're hard to see even if your LGS has good lighting. I have a small official Boogie Board and I've been using it whenever I play. It's great, but for a real tournament I'd suggest using pen and paper, just because keeping a record of how many games have been played in a match comes up more often than you'd think. I used to have a multi-color pen and I'd use black or blue for the first game, then for game 2 I'd use green if I won, red if I lost. Guess which color ran out of ink first? :smith:

My best purchase was a box of UX Supreme sleeves on clearance - not because they're good sleeves, far from it, but because they were $20 for a thousand sleeves and I've used them for various draft decks, board games, casual decks, Pauper decks, etc. in the four years or so since I bought them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I have been thinking about going to a live event with a deck that may not play very well live... it is basically a poison proliferation style deck. Reading up on who should be tracking poison counters apparently someone posted about playing with a poison proliferation deck (not the same one) and his opponent kept denying the poison status because they were using dice. First time they used his opponent's dice that he then "re-used" for counting something else, and the 2nd time his opponent took the player's dice that he used.... Apparently they had no judge at the FNM event and apparently that other guy had more friends than him at the event and he basically lost both games....

Anyways. I guess I'm bringing pen/paper if I do end up playing it.

the companion app has history on it.
My only experience playing infect IRL is Phyrexia: One drafts. It is no problem to mark paper, but if you are at a casual thing (FNM) dice should be fine too. If someone refuses counters call a judge. You prob want to use your own dice anyways because a lot of opponents will not have enough dice for infect and life.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fritzler posted:

My only experience playing infect IRL is Phyrexia: One drafts. It is no problem to mark paper, but if you are at a casual thing (FNM) dice should be fine too. If someone refuses counters call a judge. You prob want to use your own dice anyways because a lot of opponents will not have enough dice for infect and life.

I played a ton of Infect in Modern and Legacy and I would use a D10 and a poison counter token at FNM level events no problem, but anything above that I'd just mark P1-10 in my opponent's life total column to indicate poison counters. I've never had anyone try to mess with my dice or manipulate the poison count though, that's just an opponent being lovely independent of tracking counters, but I did always keep the counter on my side and make my opponent verbally confirm the count.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

someone posted about playing with a poison proliferation deck (not the same one) and his opponent kept denying the poison status because they were using dice. First time they used his opponent's dice that he then "re-used" for counting something else, and the 2nd time his opponent took the player's dice that he used.... Apparently they had no judge at the FNM event and apparently that other guy had more friends than him at the event and he basically lost both games....

I hope after op left, a gaping chasm opened up at that lgs' exact location and sent everyone there straight to hell

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I played paper I had the habit of confirming life totals with my opponent whenever they changed.
"Attack for four."
"Ok, go to twelve."
Writing things down is a good idea too but you can avoid a lot of problems later by just making sure you're both in agreement on the maths when it happens.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Unferno a good name for the next unset?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

Is Unferno a good name for the next unset?

Unfun-o?
Yes, accurate

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just use the poison counters. They're tokens from MBS

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Unfun-o?
Yes, accurate

I would have also accepted unferNO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

When I played paper I had the habit of confirming life totals with my opponent whenever they changed.
"Attack for four."
"Ok, go to twelve."
Writing things down is a good idea too but you can avoid a lot of problems later by just making sure you're both in agreement on the maths when it happens.

Yeah doing that has honestly saved me from so many issues, highly recommend doing it.