Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hell yeah out of fantasy kadoban status.

Thanks Kenning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1707177705974710340

So instead of letting young talent with amasumo national tournament wins start mid-way up makushita, they're back to fighting at the absolute bottom tier. Which I believe means not even a 7-0 will be enough to promote up.

More chances to pick up career-ending injuries before having a career, I guess?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
My predicted plumit from the sanyaku ranks was so pathetic shodai would tell me to sort myself out. Thanks kenning!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thanks Kenning!

The idea of having a Juryo pick for tie-break purposes seems like a good one.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks Kenning for running the fantasy!

That was a very mid result for me. I'm glad I stuck with Hokuseiho. If I'm remembering my team correctly, everyone in my team got KKs but, apart from Hokuseio, they were all 9-6 and 8-7.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Thanks for running it! I did pretty okay for blindly picking my first time.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Bentai posted:

So instead of letting young talent with amasumo national tournament wins start mid-way up makushita, they're back to fighting at the absolute bottom tier. Which I believe means not even a 7-0 will be enough to promote up.

I think the Sumo Association is trying to entice promising wrestlers to enroll straight out of high school. They've been having trouble getting new recruits for a while now. I don't think it would work since starting from the absolute bottom is still a two year journey to Juryo. Might as well go to college then.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Thanks Kenning!

I guess the wave of me being near the top was due to crash spectacularly eventually. I refuse to trade for other than injury.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

thanks again for running fantasy sumo

lol started saying taco queso to myself and giggling

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Thanks Kenning! My own stable had a second week renaissance and pulled themselves out of the gloom, really has me committed to that No Trade life after many bashos spent wheeling and dealing in pursuit of the Yusho.

+1 to the Juryo idea, I don't watch every bout but try to catch the odd recap, my reasons for remembering dudes in that division aren't very fantasy friendly though - e.g. Shimazuumi (looks like an angry baby), Shiden (my pants) or Chiyomaru (very round).

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Bentai posted:

Eh, maybe, but also I could see a benefit to letting them get used to professional sumo training and tournaments before dumping them to consecutive 15 day battles too soon. There's maybe a middleground to be had, introduce Ms30TD or something, I dunno.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

+1 to the Juryo idea, I don't watch every bout but try to catch the odd recap, my reasons for remembering dudes in that division aren't very fantasy friendly though - e.g. Shimazuumi (looks like an angry baby), Shiden (my pants) or Chiyomaru (very round).

personally i dont like the juryo idea, because its a lot more work to see the juryo bouts vs catching the top division highlights on NHK. i'm not trying to lurk discords for links to private videos and twitch streams that get taken down anyway, but respect to those who do

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hakuoho's hair at full power.

Its power cannot be contained!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

personally i dont like the juryo idea, because its a lot more work to see the juryo bouts vs catching the top division highlights on NHK. i'm not trying to lurk discords for links to private videos and twitch streams that get taken down anyway, but respect to those who do

I think the idea is to pick a juryo contender and if there's a tie, the wrestler with the best record at the end of the tournament breaks the tie. No need to keep track and watch their matches.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Hakuoho's hair at full power.

Its power cannot be contained!

drat that rules

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Hahaha, after (someone correct me if I'm wrong) 8 years of the Kimura Shonosuke gyoji name being vacant, Shikimori Inosuke is being promoted to Kimura Shonosuke, a position he will be able to hold for less than a year since his 64th birthday was last week.

Anyway:

Beeswax posted:

drat that rules

:hai:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

He'll still be Shikimori Nutfumbler to me. :allears:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Kenning posted:

In any case, congratulations to Banana Canada and Tiny Bug Child for jointly hoisting the cup. Obviously both teams contained the wunderkind Atamifuji, and both were fully undefeated, although they didn't have all that many wrestlers in common, only sharing Wakamotoharu in addition to Atamifuji.

Clearing goonzeki kadoban in style! Thanks Kenning for another fantasy basho and congratulations to Banana Canada on our co-yusho.

Fun basho, even if Atamifuji didn't get the win I was hoping for. I was pretty grumpy with the Takakeisho win as it happened, both because of the henka and also Takakeisho winning a 2-man playoff was the most boring possible outcome of a senshuraku that could have gone a lot of different ways. No doubt it was the most likely outcome, though. Atamifuji doesn't seem quite ready to compete with the sanyaku yet, I can't imagine Hokuseiho getting it, and Takayasu has obviously been cursed by the gods to always be a contender but never a champion. But I'll be rooting for the hamster to at least get a decent jun-yusho in November. I think he's got a shot, especially if Teru's still out. He's put in enough work to deserve the rope but mainly I just really want to see what a Takakeisho yokozuna dohyo-iri looks like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Thanks as always for running these, Kenning!

Not absolute bottom but gee whillickers what a bad tournament for me :sweatdrop:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hi sumo thread, someone who won one of the prizes in the haiku contest never used their gift certificate to big sumo fan. If it's someone still here, you can confirm that you were one of the winners who didn't directly tell me you used yours, and you still intend to use it, I can give you the updated code they sent me. If I don't hear back by the end of tomorrow I'm taking it for myself but I wanted to make sure there was a heads up in case someone was waiting to use it for the perfect tegata or something.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 29, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

Hi sumo thread, someone who won one of the prizes in the haiku contest never used their gift certificate to big sumo fan. If it's someone still here, you can confirm that you were one of the winners who didn't directly tell me you used yours, and you still intend to use it, I can give you the updated code they sent me. If I don't hear back in the by the end of tomorrow I'm taking it for myself but I wanted to make sure there was a heads up in case someone was waiting to use it for the perfect tegata or something.

i declined mine because the shipping costs was in like the hundreds of dollars to my country so if that's what you're half remembering please use it yourself for something rad!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
You had politely declined before I bought one for you so it would have been from one of two other people. The original way they sent the code didn’t actually give a code, instead using a link, which is why I can’t directly confirm whose it was supposed to be.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm pretty sure I used mine! I've got a nice little collection of rikishi fridge magnets :kimchi:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I want to get a kimarite teacup to go with a dohyo teacup I bought at an import store here, so I’m sure everyone can understand my interest in closing on the fate of this code.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah I used mine up, thank you! I bought some cute fridge magnets, a keychain, a tegata and a tiny purple pillow to throw. :)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you Kenning for putting in the effort once again into running this, it is something that a great many of us look forward to and enjoy and we appreciate it!

I am broadly pleased with how well my team did, though Kotoeko had a rough basho and the team as a whole had a very rocky first week. A much greater degree of consistency in the second week really helped the team recover. This was a very interesting basho to watch and it is interesting that Takakeisho was able to pull of his yusho with such a low overall score. I think it speaks to a relative degree of skill parity in Makuuchi right now that the result is what it is. I do want to see Takakeisho eventually get his rope but I doubt he will be dominant in the same way that some of the most recent yokozunas have been and I am unsure of how long his career at the highest level would be... but then Kisenosato and Kakuryu also had short terms at the top due to injuries getting the better of them so it's not unprecedented.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The mystery big sumo fan code has been reunited with its intended recipient. Thanks for the help.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
From low Juryo to high Juryo, my team has done well!
Thanks for organising this, Kenning!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bentai posted:

I'm skeptical of Chris Sumo's takes on a lot of things, but his take on this was that this came down because all the recent prodigies have gone to the stables like Miyagino(Kiho and Hakuoho) and Nishonoseki(Onosato), and that the grumpy old men of sumo made this change so that younger and more modern oyakata like Hakuho and Kisenosato aren't as able to recruit a promising candidate and have them immediately body their way into juryo within a year.

This one actually feels reasonably likely to me, honestly.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if the Grumpy Sumo Elders were worried about Miyagino and Nishonoseki getting a stranglehold on the sport. Ms30 would be nicer than freaking Ms60 though. In other news, Kimura Tamajiro has retired:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1707880988980703636

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Lol if you told me I'd be within 5 points of the winner at the halfway point I would've sworn you were crazy or there was a mass kyujo event. Thank you very much for running another excellent fantasy basho, Kenning! And congrats to Banana Canada and Tiny Bug Child!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bentai posted:

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if the Grumpy Sumo Elders were worried about Miyagino and Nishonoseki getting a stranglehold on the sport. Ms30 would be nicer than freaking Ms60 though. In other news, Kimura Tamajiro has retired:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1707880988980703636

What is going on with the gyoji :psyduck:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kenning posted:

What is going on with the gyoji :psyduck:

Could be since the announcement of Shikimori Inosuke being promoted to Kimura Shonosuke didn't come with Tamajiro (who is next in line) being promoted to Shikimori Inosuke, he said gently caress ya'll I quit (but you know, in polite resignation letter form), I'm not sure what the timeline on this was internally though.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

From gobbling Chiyotairyu's meat to winning the basho, it's been a blessed sumo month for me! Congratulations Tiny Bug Child! Happy to share this yusho with you!

Kenning, great job again running fantasy sumo. But I think you might want to double-check a few things. I've been keeping my own tracker and it seems everyone that had Atamifuji in their stable have an extra 3 points. I am fairly certain it is because the 3 points for Sansho for Atamifuji got added in twice? This doesn't change makuuchi much (you and Communist Thoughts should move up a few spots in the overall standings) but it does impact the final standings in Juryo.

I also think ullerrm, The Postman and Boogalo should have their scores adjusted upwards a bit? Aside from that, everything on your final results matches mine.

code:
			Yours	Mine	Diff
Banana Canada		61	58	+3
Tiny Bug Child		61	58	+3
Brut			60	57	+3
Teddybear		58	55	+3
anakha			57.5	54.5	+3
Khizan			57.5	54.5	+3
MyChemicalImbalance	57.5	54.5	+3
Robviously		56.5	53.5	+3
Pakled			55.5	52.5	+3
whats for dinner	55.5	52.5	+3
Kenning			55	55	0
Communist Thoughts	53	53	0
Ice Phisherman		51.5	51.5	0
NuclearPotato		51	51	0
Thauros			51	51	0
Vargatron		51	51	0
captainblastum		49	49	0
GoatSeeGuy		49	49	0
bessantj		46.5	46.5	0
Helianthus Annuus	46.5	46.5	0
pseudodragon		46.5	46.5	0
Charles Gnarwin		45.5	45.5	0
Fluffdaddy		43.5	43.5	0
Kuros			43.5	43.5	0
Iron Chef Nex		42.5	42.5	0
bartolimu		41.5	41.5	0
Mode 7			41	41	0
LlamaTrauma		39	39	0
Crusty Nutsack		36.5	36.5	0
Saturnine Aberrance	36.5	36.5	0
Marching Powder		36	36	0
Jobbo_Fett		34	34	0
Akiosan			32.5	32.5	0
Chinook			32.5	32.5	0

Lid			61	58	+3
Beexoffel		60	57	+3
oldskool		59	59	0
Eldoop			56.5	53.5	+3
Nativity In Black	56	56	0
ullerrm			55.5	57	-1.5
PJ			55	52	+3
NTRabbit		52	49	+3
Xerzes			51	51	0
The Postman		49.5	51	-1.5
Average Lettuce		49	49	0
Medenmath		49	49	0
Liquid Communism	47	47	0
Fearless		46.5	46.5	0
Samuel L. Hacksaw	46	46	0
Ben Nerevarine		45.5	45.5	0
Boogalo			45.5	46.5	-1
Log082			43.5	43.5	0
Dead Goon		43	43	0
ratmosphere		42.5	42.5	0
FART BOSS		41.5	41.5	0
Flinger			41	41	0
Single Tight Female	41	41	0
ImplicitAssembler	40	40	0
Takuan			39	39	0
QuasiQuack		38	38	0
Bentai			37.5	37.5	0

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

that looks cool -- i for one would appreciate a viewable spreadsheet for fantasy sumo.

Kuros posted:

I think the idea is to pick a juryo contender and if there's a tie, the wrestler with the best record at the end of the tournament breaks the tie. No need to keep track and watch their matches.

i suppose that can work, but without having followed their matches, i imagine a lot of fantasizers would just draft:

juryo east #1
juryo west #1
juryo east #2

perhaps it would be more effective as a tie break if each fantasizer were randomly assigned a wrestler from juryo?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Here's another dumb idea for a tie break: in addition to picking wrestlers, each fantasizer picks a gyoji from the top division.

Then, whenever there's a judge's conference, if the gyoji's decision is overturned, that's -0.25 points, but if a decision is upheld, that's +0.25 points. No points for rematches or decisions without a judge's conference.

EDIT: wait does anyone keep stats on judges conferences? if not, this is too impractical to do. Also, i guess there aren't enough gyojis for everyone to pick someone different.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 30, 2023

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Here's yet another dumb idea for a tie break: sumo keeps a record of the winning technique for each match. At the end of the tournament, if there's a tie, the fantasizer whose wrestlers demonstrate the greatest variety of winning techniques is the winner.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

perhaps it would be more effective as a tie break if each fantasizer were randomly assigned a wrestler from juryo?

I don't like this, might as well just roll a dice if there's a tie.

Here's yet another dumb idea for a tie break: sumo keeps a record of the winning technique for each match. At the end of the tournament, if there's a tie, the fantasizer whose wrestlers demonstrate the greatest variety of winning techniques is the winner.
I do like this!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If this becomes the rule, the pick rate of the tsuppari guys is gonna plummet lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://x.com/SumoFollower/status/1708080185516359762
https://x.com/SumoFollower/status/1708080188393738404

Terunofuji has a bone fragment "somewhere" in his back. Really hope Teru puts off coming back till January.

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1708066348868288572
Okinoumi had his retirement ceremony yesterday evening.

Kaisei should be having his later today.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 30, 2023