Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

My therapist asked me this week "What do you think you deserve?" And I did not know how to process that question.

I hear "deserve" and associate it with karma. And I don't get to decide what karma does to me, I can only try my best and be grateful if good things happen.

She brought up things like food, shelter, and I don't associate those with "deserve". I think of those basic human needs as rights or entitlements and that if you weren't getting those, there ideally is someone to complain to and get it fixed.

But if I don't feel like I'm living the life I deserve, who do I complain to? Oh, it's me. I'm the one who fixes the things I'm not happy with.

My immediate reaction to this epiphany of being in control of my own trajectory was "well that's not gonna work. I don't listen to me"

Gonna have to try some of that tricking myself into self improvement. Doing it for it's own sake doesn't feel motivating enough.

i hope you're able to become a thrivinghoneybun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

you cannot get away from any aspect of yrself by backtracking out of it. once something is an experience, you carry its residuüm w you thereäfter. you can only move past yrself by pushing forward and processing. the only way out is thru

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

there are no good or bad people, theres only the Wheel (and deal)

pat sajak is a piece of poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I think that's what I've been struggling with. My therapist seemed less pissed off that I turned up at my morning appointment still drunk from the night before and more that I just kept apologising about it. I get the theory of dealing with your Shadow Self (sort of) but in practice I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Like, am I meant to lean into being selfish and thoughtless and self-destructive? I think I actually kinda tried doing that this week and it just felt awful and grotty and miserable. How does one get 'through' it? How do you integrate your worst aspects, and what does it take to do so? And who suffers?

These are more just general musings, though. I imagine it's not something easily explained with words. I imagine it's something I have to work out for myself.

typhus posted:

BF: you're one of my favorite people in the thread. You're a profoundly thoughtful person. I'm intimately familiar with the journey you're on and it's a loving hard road (and one I'm still working through myself) but keep the faith, because as far as I'm concerned the sheer awareness of self necessary to get on the path to begin with is 90% of the challenge.

This

Look at you all makin me cry a bit on the train

This is both :unsmith: and :mad: cos I'm british and I am absolutely categorically not meant to show emotion in public! You're going to get me into trouble, don't you see??

(Seriously though, thank you :love:)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Everyone loves you Barry, now it's your turn!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Squizzle posted:

you cannot get away from any aspect of yrself by backtracking out of it. once something is an experience, you carry its residuüm w you thereäfter. you can only move past yrself by pushing forward and processing. the only way out is thru

horseshit, just give yourself brain damage and you can forget any god damned thing!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

brain dmg is still forward-moving. it isnt brain reversal. you are changed by experiencing, learning, and resolving. w an icepick

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
don’t trust your ego, the I in your head. it’s there to protect you in the short-term only. it’s no good, folks!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The ego is a good shield for certain things but it's hard to control and our lives largely turn our ego into a malformed piece of poo poo it's really important you do your best to keep it in check and make it as healthy as possible.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Everyone loves you Barry, now it's your turn!

:love:

I literally just came across this passage while reading Tolkien's Unfinished Tales, in a startling bit of synchronicity:

quote:

Men in Númenor are half-Elves (said Erendis), especially the high men; they are neither the one nor the other. The long life that they were granted deceives them, and they dally in the world, children in mind, until age finds them - and then many only forsake play out of doors for play in their houses. They turn their play into great matters and great matters into play.

They would be craftsmen and loremasters and heroes all at once; and women to them are but fires on the hearth - for others to tend, until they are tired of play in the evening. All things were made for their service: hills are for quarries, rivers to furnish water or to turn wheels, trees for boards, women for their body's need, or if fair to adorn their table and hearth; and children to be teased when nothing else is to do - but they would as soon play with their hounds' whelps.

To all they are gracious and kind, merry as larks in the morning (if the sun shines); for they are never wrathful if they can avoid it. Men should be gay, they hold, generous as the rich, giving away what they do not need. Anger they show only when they become aware, suddenly, that there other wills in the world beside their own. Then they will be as ruthless as the seawind if anything dare to withstand them.

Message is coming through loud and clear, universe, lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Al! posted:

once youve achieved good personhood, thats when you need to start working on your lies and schemes

gotta come back to this because it is extremely true. ok ok ok: one of the foundational flaws of liberalism is the belief in the objective, scientific, inevitable-and-inescapable truth of their worldview. “reality has a liberal bias” poo poo. look at liberalisms fav books, all of that the world is flat nonsense that dresses up powerfully biased models of economics as popularly-accessible objective observational statements. believing society is soluble conundrum, making the technocratic meritocratic ideal part of the natural order. (also in the same orbit zone: the obsession w making economics feel as much like a hard science as possible, so that market bullshit has the same essential reality) and since its fundamentally scientifically objectively true, it is both rational and moral to play by its rules at all times

thus the liberal fixation on dressed up pop kantianism. real fuckin pearl clutching. if youve ever played one of those games where players get to introduce new rules, you understand the absurdity of trying to play by the rules-state you wish existed, instead of by the rules as they exist at the moment. thats silly, you know you play the game as it is toward the goal of creating the game you want. but liberal morality presupposes the essential primacy of their objectively-ascertained rational understanding of the basic nature of reality, and is shocked when the other players dont play bby the rules of liberal decorum

dont be a foolish liberal. once you have a halfway decent moral compass, you should learn all of the tricks and shenanigans you can, also some tomfooleries. learn the rules that exist, play elegantly toward creating better rules

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Andy Pandy posted:

I think I could keep the secret very closely, as I come from an already secretive part of our society, and I would use all the resources at my disposal to plan ahead very carefully. We are short-sighted creatures, and if I was smart, I would play the long-game and eventually manage all sides of the discourse. Why would I keep any written records to be exposed through government incompetence or leaks? I am not a government, I have no need to store any information there. Why not use ancient encryption methods and steganography to hide any important information that must be written down? Why not develop and use a unique conlang to communicate secrets? Why not continuously fund and invest in areas of science that lead directly away from the truth? I would probably also spend a lot of effort in dividing the population into squabbling factions, feed them drugs and poisoned food, and encourage them to slave away on my behalf - strip mining the planet so I can finally breakaway and leave them all in the mess to destroy each other, while I sail away into the stars or execute whatever my selfish endgame is.

post + av combo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

which one are you

gently caress the mods!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

as a disgraced former mod, i no longer have the tricolor face anus of mod monsters

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

:love:

I literally just came across this passage while reading Tolkien's Unfinished Tales, in a startling bit of synchronicity:

Message is coming through loud and clear, universe, lol

half-elves are libs

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

gotta come back to this because it is extremely true. ok ok ok: one of the foundational flaws of liberalism is the belief in the objective, scientific, inevitable-and-inescapable truth of their worldview. “reality has a liberal bias” poo poo. look at liberalisms fav books, all of that the world is flat nonsense that dresses up powerfully biased models of economics as popularly-accessible objective observational statements. believing society is soluble conundrum, making the technocratic meritocratic ideal part of the natural order. (also in the same orbit zone: the obsession w making economics feel as much like a hard science as possible, so that market bullshit has the same essential reality) and since its fundamentally scientifically objectively true, it is both rational and moral to play by its rules at all times

thus the liberal fixation on dressed up pop kantianism. real fuckin pearl clutching. if youve ever played one of those games where players get to introduce new rules, you understand the absurdity of trying to play by the rules-state you wish existed, instead of by the rules as they exist at the moment. thats silly, you know you play the game as it is toward the goal of creating the game you want. but liberal morality presupposes the essential primacy of their objectively-ascertained rational understanding of the basic nature of reality, and is shocked when the other players dont play bby the rules of liberal decorum

dont be a foolish liberal. once you have a halfway decent moral compass, you should learn all of the tricks and shenanigans you can, also some tomfooleries. learn the rules that exist, play elegantly toward creating better rules

Its worth noting that taking a position against the status quo makes you an enemy of anyone invested or powerful within that status quo.

So you need to become a good person, capable of using and weilding empathy in a healthy manner, to be love and light. Then, accepting that you're now an enemy of the dominant forces in our life, you need to survive while preserving that which makes your life worthwhile in the first place: your new-found goodness.

You need then to be able to lie, deceive, and cheat. Your merits are not self evident to your enemies. Do not paint a red target on yourself and beg them to shoot; they will oblige.

Be good *and* be the biggest fucker to ever do it to those who would stop you and yours from proliferating.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Squizzle posted:

brain dmg is still forward-moving. it isnt brain reversal. you are changed by experiencing, learning, and resolving. w an icepick

i suppose that's true. the sequence of events leading to intentionally destroying your own brain would still have occurred and you'd bear that trash brain on into the future

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barry Foster posted:

Funny you should say that, cause I've been pursuing meditation quite diligently over the last six weeks or so and overall it's been very very helpful. It feels like it's really sticking for once. My main problem is that it's all well and good when things are going well or even average, but if something goes wrong in my life in such a way as to make me feel inferior or insecure then - it turns out - I still go back to bad habits. Knowingly, in this recent case, which is both better and worse, I think.

Like, I think overall progression and my progress with meditation specifically meant that I paused outside my front door for a full couple of minutes as my intuition screamed at me to ignore the white hot ball of hate and embarrassment in my head that was telling me to go to the shop and get a bunch of booze and get blind angry-drunk. It was like my stomach was literally weighing me down and trying to bodily stop my feet carrying me past the threshold. 'Just go back inside, cook and eat your dinner, smoke some weed and get some perspective'. But I concentrated really hard, screwed up all my willpower into a tight ball, and triumphed over my better angels, and got blind angry-drunk. Go me.

But maybe next time I will listen. Or the time after that. Or the time after that. But one day I will listen, if not for my sake, then for the sake of the people who love me (whether I think they're allowed to or not - a condition that is its own kind of narcissism itself)

Yeah I hear that. For years - my years of deepest despair, really - I lived by two Vonnegut quotes, those being a) 'pretend to be good always and even god almighty will be fooled' and b) 'we are what we pretend to be'. I lived like that for years. I was behaving - whatever was going on inside was wholly immaterial. Not my business nor anyone else's.

I think what my therapist is trying to get me to realise though is that my bad behaviour and my 'nice guy' persona are two sides of the same coin. It would be better if I could be good or loving authentically, then I wouldn't get so resentful, then I wouldn't get so self-destructive (which I easily forget hurts other people other than just myself). And I'd be better able to take care of myself, and be less dependent (in a toxic manner) on other people.

Anyway, this is not very esoteric, and I am once again very grateful for you all helping me. Oh, and Honeybun - I know exactly how you feel. We'll both keep pushing ahead :love:

Barry, a lot of this makes me feel as though you and I have experienced struggles in life that may or may not have themselves been similar but have imparted on us similar mental / emotional trauma and screwed up senses of self worth. In particular I feel strongly for your comments on being a good person vs "merely" doing good things. Whether or not those things are eventually synonymous in your perception of self is entirely up to you, but I can certainly tell you that to many people, in perception of other's actions, they are. A person who repeatedly chooses to do good things is, functionally and effectively, a "good person." But that so is much easier said than believed about oneself, I know.

Strong agree with the meditation and mindfulness advice. My most recent psychiatrist was an actual Godsend, who preferred calling internal work like that "self-hypnosis" but the goal was the same: being able to reach the deepest bits of trauma, that were affecting my sense of self and ability to maintain healthy emotional balance, and really look at them and start working through them in the parts of my subconscious where they couldn't hurt me. Every time we tried pulling them up into the light to talk about them that way I imploded elsewhere in life a few days later; so that clearly wasn't working. But until those deep, chronic emotional wounds were cleaned out and healed I just had these huge pockets of trauma festering in my mind and afflicting everything else about me that came close to touching it. We did some guided hypnosis at first, so that I could get used to the idea of entering those walled-off danger parts of me and interacting with what was in there. But eventually being able to interact with the bad things in there on my own time, on my own terms, instead of them flaring up and out uncontrollably in the form of trauma reactions, feels like it was a turning point for me. I had been treading water for a long time until that point and I had gotten so, so tired. Choosing to swim down and take a good look at the shape of the monsters affecting me let me start learning about them, why they were still lurking there, how I could banish them.

However making that choice is by no means the hard part and obviously the actual working through the trauma part, healing the infection, banishing the monsters, is hard, and it takes a long time, and it hurts all over again while you're doing it. What has helped for me for my whole peri- and post-traumatic life has been belief in ma'at, which is to say, I think, belief in the general greater Universe, Higher Consciousness, ineffable Ground-of-Being. But I knew it as "ma'at" the first time I met it and so that is the name I return to.

If a person believes there is a fundamental structure to the Universe, then day to day interactions become a participatory function of that structure. We can achieve personal satisfaction in the form of our successful participation, even if we are, personally, unsure we are currently meeting the standard of definition we are attempting to hold ourselves to. I believe Truth, Reality, Being is in its natural state harmonious, balanced, and just; it is a great tranquil beautiful pool of All-That-Is, Was, and Could-Will-Be. But we, and other sentient life forms, are all splashing around in it, Experiencing, and sometimes loving up other people Experiencing while we Experience. This means the trick is then, of course, to be able to Experience while minimizing negative impact to others' experiences and, most ideally, providing positive impact to those people who are experiencing things in such a way where they would welcome it. Sinking oneself into that pool of By-Any-Name and sensing the currents and flows of it being manipulated by everyone else experiencing it there with you -- I listen to that above anything else, when I am in need of guidance. You can hear/feel where the water wants to be, where it needs to be, where there is too much already. You can let it guide you to where you are most effective and in doing so you learn to do "good things," again and again, until it is habit, and then practice, and then it feels wrong when you do not, and then, I suppose, you are what is generally called "a good person."

You are loved, Barry Foster, and believed in. Here, and in your personal life, and by All That Is itself, always. :love:

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Sep 29, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The alcohol thread is also very supportive just fyi: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844738

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In UAP news someone has dug up a (new?) UAP page on DOE's website.

https://www.energy.gov/nnsa/uapufo-resources-and-documents

https://old.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16v91wy/the_doe_website_now_officially_has_a_uapufo_page/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oof, I'm not ready to confront my drinking yet - not properly anyway, I don't deny I got a problem with it. I did quit for three months earlier in the year. Didn't stop the meltdowns but did make them turn catastrophic less often.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Barry, a lot of this makes me feel as though you and I have experienced struggles in life that may or may not have themselves been similar but have imparted on us similar mental / emotional trauma and screwed up senses of self worth. In particular I feel strongly for your comments on being a good person vs "merely" doing good things. Whether or not those things are eventually synonymous in your perception of self is entirely up to you, but I can certainly tell you that to many people, in perception of other's actions, they are. A person who repeatedly chooses to do good things is, functionally and effectively, a "good person." But that so is much easier said than believed about oneself, I know.

Strong agree with the meditation and mindfulness advice. My most recent psychiatrist was an actual Godsend, who preferred calling internal work like that "self-hypnosis" but the goal was the same: being able to reach the deepest bits of trauma, that were affecting my sense of self and ability to maintain healthy emotional balance, and really look at them and start working through them in the parts of my subconscious where they couldn't hurt me. Every time we tried pulling them up into the light to talk about them that way I imploded elsewhere in life a few days later; so that clearly wasn't working. But until those deep, chronic emotional wounds were cleaned out and healed I just had these huge pockets of trauma fermenting in my mind and afflicting everything else about me that came close to touching it. We did some guided hypnosis at first, so that I could get used to the idea of entering those walled-off danger parts of me and interacting with what was in there. But eventually being able to interact with the bad things in there on my own time, on my own terms, instead of them flaring up and out uncontrollably in the form of trauma reactions, feels like it was a turning point for me. I had been treading water for a long time until that point and I had gotten so, so tired. Choosing to swim down and take a good look at the shape of the monsters affecting me let me start learning about them, why they were still lurking there, how I could banish them.

However making that choice is by no means the hard part and obviously the actual working through the trauma part, healing the infection, banishing the monsters, is hard, and it takes a long time, and it hurts all over again while you're doing it. What has helped for me for my whole peri- and post-traumatic life has been belief in ma'at, which is to say, I think, belief in the general greater Universe, Higher Consciousness, ineffable Ground-of-Being. But I knew it as "ma'at" the first time I met it and so that is the name I return to.

If a person believes there is a fundamental structure to the Universe, then day to day interactions become a participatory function of that structure. We can achieve personal satisfaction in the form of successful participation. I believe Truth, Reality, Being is in its natural state harmonious, balanced, and just; it is a great tranquil beautiful pool of All-That-Is, Was, and Could-Will-Be. But we, and other sentient life forms, are all splashing around in it, Experiencing, and sometimes loving up other people Experiencing while we Experience. The trick is then, of course, to be able to Experience while minimizing negative impact to others' experiences and, most ideally, providing positive impact to those people who are experiencing things in such a way where they would welcome it. Sinking oneself into that pool of By-Any-Name and sensing the currents and flows of it being manipulated by everyone else experiencing it there with you -- I listen to that above anything else, when I am in need of guidance. You can hear/feel where the water wants to be, where it needs to be, where there is too much already. You can let it guide you to where you are most effective and in doing so you learn to do "good things," again and again, until it is habit, and then practice, and then it feels wrong when you do not, and then, I suppose, you are what is generally called "a good person."

You are loved, Barry Foster. Here, and in your personal life, and by All That Is itself, always. :love:

Thank you, sincerely :love:

I've been in intensive (three times a week) therapy for the last two and a half years now. Traumas are identified (I think? Mostly?) but they just keep on looping round and round, and what you say about things blowing up in other parts of your life after touching a particularly injured spot rings extremely true for me.

Still, I'm aware it'll take a long time, and may never be fully, finally and completely dealt with, and I'm aware my strong tendency towards avoidance is slowing things down and (at times) making things worse. But ever since I started listening - to myself, to the people around me, to the universe - things have been changing in mostly productive and always intriguing ways. To borrow your metaphor, I feel like I've been a shallow puddle for decades and now I'm starting to tap into deeper springs. I used to be quite spiritual and intuitive as a young kid, but I came to feel abandoned by everyone who was supposed to look after me as things started to come out and I began to really examine my childhood (parents, society/government, god). I became deeply, deeply bitter and nihilistic, for a long time, and the idea of anything bigger than me being any good or trustworthy in any way would have seemed bleakly absurd. But things are changing (back, in a way), and I don't think that increasing spiritual practice/tendency is another avoidance strategy or childish abandonment of responsibility via magical thinking, though I think my therapist often looks at it a bit askance when I bring it up!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sensing some people itt were raised in one of the Guilt Religions because being labeled a good person or not is just not a preoccupation ive ever had but my wife who was raised more traditionally Catholic is constantly suffering from delusions of Bad Personhood because she has negative thoughts about people places and things sometimes.

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

While we're still in Change Chat: Hey, who had that document of jobs that are maybe less soulcrushing from a few (dozen?) pages back? I think I need an out, due to terminal Business Brain in new management (the enemy of Bird Brain.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Al! posted:

sensing some people itt were raised in one of the Guilt Religions because being labeled a good person or not is just not a preoccupation ive ever had but my wife who was raised more traditionally Catholic is constantly suffering from delusions of Bad Personhood because she has negative thoughts about people places and things sometimes.

Yeah

My shrink asked me if I thought I do/don't deserve whatever and it left me kinda nonplussed because 'deserve' is a made up moralistic thing that has no real bearing on what happens in reality

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Al! posted:

Haha, bingo

Cradle catholic and very much raised in a church community, it wasn't just a christmas and easter thing

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Al! posted:

no u >:|

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:glomp: all the best for you, Barry. :shobon:

Al! posted:

:lol: absolutely guilty as charged. I grew up in a fundamentalist home and school system and yet when I was a young teen I ended up with an unshakable belief in, to their eyes, false, enemy Gods, in what could be called a trauma coping mechanism. The adults in my life handled that poorly. As an adult I have slowly realized my relationship with religion(s) has been enormously complicated and conflicted for my entire life but it is something that, for both good and ill, has nearly single-handedly shaped my entire surviving concept of self.

edit: I think touching, tapping into, connecting with the cosmic sense of All-That-Is is necessary for us to survive in much of this life, let alone thrive. All-That-Is is also called God, but that name begins a point of divergence in human perception that can lead to terribly different concepts by the time you finish following the millenia-long games of telephone involved in defining God and applying a relationship with that definition to daily purpose. Too much of modern belief is designed to shepherd us into adhering to particular, pre-established belief structures, rather than venturing in search of what feels right and true to us as individuals with individual ambitions, needs, and desires -- individual, but inextricably interconnected, lives.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Sep 30, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Haha, bingo

Cradle catholic and very much raised in a church community, it wasn't just a christmas and easter thing

didnt want to call you out specifically but yeah, one of the things that doesnt come up alot when talking about abuse is religious abuse (which is separate from sexual abuse by religious figures)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

aliens....they're real folks

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Had a nice synchronicity today (also with the current thread topic). Started therapy for the first time in a while with a new therapist to work through some things I feel I need to address. When I got out I decided to put on a music playlist for the drive home despite the fact I almost exclusively listen to podcasts in the car and the very first song on a randomized playlist was exactly about what I had just discussed and wanted to address in therapy. Received loud and clear.

Tarot:

I'd love to get a reading about this new journey I started today. Also can anybody recommend a good basic tarot starter text? I'm getting my first deck in the mail today and I'll post some pictures because it's rad but I need a guide on how to use it.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Had a dream I picked a friend up from the airport and they didn't like whatever I had on the radio, instead requesting that I play something called "innervated energy yelling".

This caused me to wake up laughing at how loving stupid the phrase was. Anyway bird thread should I become the next Wim Hof y/n?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Literally a bird

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Tarot:

I'd love to get a reading about this new journey I started today. Also can anybody recommend a good basic tarot starter text? I'm getting my first deck in the mail today and I'll post some pictures because it's rad but I need a guide on how to use it.

it really depends on the deck. your deck should come with a little booklet traditionally. if you bought kind of the bog standard raider-waite deck you can find the meanings on wikipedia

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Al! posted:

it really depends on the deck. your deck should come with a little booklet traditionally. if you bought kind of the bog standard raider-waite deck you can find the meanings on wikipedia

Yeah I know I can find meanings of each individual card but I assume there are some good beginner books that go into more detail and like how to synthesize all the meanings together to give a reading like the pros in this thread are doing. I assumed the little booklet isn't going to go that deep into things beyond basic meanings of cards.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I know I can find meanings of each individual card but I assume there are some good beginner books that go into more detail and like how to synthesize all the meanings together to give a reading like the pros in this thread are doing. I assumed the little booklet isn't going to go that deep into things beyond basic meanings of cards.

oh let me check my bookshelf and get back to you. my wife (the real tarot reader) has at least one book like this

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Al! posted:

If you try to make the world better (lets define this as reducing stress, suffering, etc. For a maximum possible number of people without respect to arbitrary divisions like identitarian poo poo that makes you Good.

If you're completely absorbed in the enrichment of your self or a select group you've deemed fit and like enough, and dont give a poo poo about anything except what serves you, you're a Bad Person with, charitably, a few lifetimes ahead of you figuring your poo poo out.

For myself i was raised without faith because my parents were smart enough to avoid needlessly brainwashing their kids, i flirted with "guilt religion" in my teens and early 20s, and i never really integrated the guilt stuff, except it *did* galvanize a desire to become genuinely selfless in mirror of my chosen God...

This nature comes more naturally to some than others and on a personal level i don't mind belief systems that wish to impose Good Personhood with a deep caveat that this must be done ethically, and almost no belief that outwardly concerns itself with this stuff is behaving ethically underneath the hood.

Idk tying ethics into belief isn't a bad idea in the abstract. Who sets the ethics and expounds the beliefs matters though??

Be good. Don't be bad. You can be good without being guilt ridden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

D-Pad posted:

Tarot:

I did the paid course on https://littleredtarot.com a while back and it worked really well for me (not sure how much it costs now), but they also have a guidebook and a lot of free blog posts and stuff that I found to be good resources for learning - both basics and a bit beyond them. It's been a while since I checked it out and it looks like they've got way more stuff now than when I started.

I will also say that I have a ton of decks and have found the included guidebooks of wildly varying usefulness (especially for beginners), so ymmv with those depending on what deck(s) you get.

e: as far as synthesizing meanings in your readings, a lot of it is practice once you've got a good sense of what the card meanings are (and what they mean to you specifically and the context of the reading). I would recommend doing a lot of practice readings and writing down your interpretations since it forces you to think in more detail and make more connections when you're actually putting it down on paper (or in a google doc or whatever your preferred method is).

DurianGray has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Sep 29, 2023