Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He would probably like to eat the bugs tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
*gets minister for men*
Minister for men: the British male is a pampered sluggish fat unmarried uncultured waste of flesh and we need to shame and punish him if he's to serve in this modern age

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What ideologies would that be

You literally invent a new one that isn't called feminism and pitch it to young people who aren't interested in feminism.

OwlFancier posted:

Because feminists would use that word to describe it, feminists would think and write about those ideas as examples of feminism. You could try and construct some alternative worldview which incorporates those ideas but that doesn't make those ideas less feminist. If the same idea exists in multiple worldviews then it can be described as belonging to any of them. If you're just cringing away from being associated with the word feminism I don't see how that is going to appeal to any man who is concerned about being traditionally masculine because even I think that behaviour is contemptably weak.

Your opponents will brand you with every label under the sun to discredit you, if the best you can do is tremulously try to claim that you're actually different from that thing you just happen to share some ideas, then you're going to go the way of every other effort that has tried to do that.

You have the option of accepting the allegiance of feminists and learning from and working with them and contributing your own thoughts in kind, or you can try to position yourself desperately as being really clever and original and not aligned with anybody, while the people actually in charge of branding, who are your opponents, simply dismiss you as being just the same as the feminists, who you will not associate with.

So what? Are you more interested in the purity of feminism or are you more interested in getting people engaged with the ideas? It doesn't matter what feminists would do, the target audience are not feminists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't that tried with the whole 'meninism' thing that got turned into a cesspit of MRAs and chuds within about a week?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey kids, here's my new ideology that's trying to get you off the andrew tate, it's pro equality and wants you to be comfortable expressing your emotions and have positive relationships with women, I call it hardcore masculism and it's totally new and original please like and subscribe.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rugz posted:

You literally invent a new one that isn't called feminism and pitch it to young people who aren't interested in feminism.

So what? Are you more interested in the purity of feminism or are you more interested in getting people engaged with the ideas? It doesn't matter what feminists would do, the target audience are not feminists.

What

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They do a chocolate orange that’s mint flavour now instead of orange

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I hear that lad that cut the tree down was a feminist.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I hear that lad that cut the tree down was a feminist.

Do we know the sex of the Sycamore in question? God help the discourse if sycamores are one of those species that are slightly trans

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think most plants have all the sex parts.

E: man I did plant reproduction every loving year in science and I can barely remember it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

History Comes Inside! posted:

They do a chocolate orange that’s mint flavour now instead of orange

Okay, now this is the type of news I have been smashing for!

Thank you for this important post. I will now search for these in the wild.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

E: man I did plant reproduction every loving year in science and I can barely remember it.

I did it in college and basically all I remember is "uhh shits complicated". In summary, trees are gayer and more trans than you would reasonably expect

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Hey kids, here's my new ideology that's trying to get you off the andrew tate, it's pro equality and wants you to be comfortable expressing your emotions and have positive relationships with women, I call it hardcore masculism and it's totally new and original please like and subscribe.
Do they sell it as a Supplement? If they don't sell it as a supplement I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn into a raging misogynist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I've heard of treehugging but this is ridiculous!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I did it in college and basically all I remember is "uhh shits complicated". In summary, trees are gayer and more trans than you would reasonably expect

I think I ended up doing it before GCSE, at GCSE, then at both AS and A level, and it was broadly the same each time (presumably why it was done so I could be tested on the same stuff every time) and it's just completely farted out of my brain.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If the tree wasn't gay it would be after Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman sat on it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
According to Wikipedia sycamores typically have both sex parts but function as though they have only one or the other. It's not specified whether this is due to watching too much Andrew Tate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I still remember that pines have both male and female cones and they are easily distinguishable, the male ones are more slender and lower down on the tree and you get told to be quiet if you call those ones peen cones.

This illustrates the importance of mnemonics in retaining this kind of knowledge.

Also ferns have motile gametes and Freud had a phobia of them. Fern reproduction is real weird though.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Minister for spider-men.

typical spider-men, out there enacting cultural genocide on us man-spiders

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

willing to bet someone else put this kid up to it

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/29/sycamore-gap-man-60-arrested-in-connection-with-felled-tree

Called it!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
we need a new name for feminism. we need to dislodge it from the idea it's just about women, so we'll say it's about "gender". and instead of the shouty hating of the patriarchy we're so known for we will simply use a more neutral term, let's say merely that we are "critical". thus,

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Here we, here we.. etc.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

What exactly do you propose? If I think somebody is being taken advantage of I'm not going to pretend to support the person doing it, I'm going to tell them that I think they'r being taken advantage of and deserve better than that. Anything else would be showing them profound disrespect.

Especially with children, children already get bullshitted constantly from all sides. When I was a child I wanted nothing more than for people to be straight with me about things, not make up lies they felt more comfortable telling me.

Sorry this took a while, I’d just left my hotel and had no Wi-Fi! I think you can only do it in a way that’s true to yourself but the less you can make it ‘obviously political’ (yes I know all things are political but most people don’t think of politics unless you use the politics words) the better it tends to go. Telling men they’re being taken advantage of and deserve better doesn’t tend be well received because many take it as patronising or ‘like you know better’. The same as anyone I suppose, people like being talked to in their own language - call Tate a weirdly weaselly little dickhead, mock him for his bizarre rants and weird ears. I don’t know, it’s not a one size fits all and I can’t condense a lifetime of my main ‘thing’ being talking to people, but yeah I think generally if you can bring the politics in through the back door you’re going to do a lot better than trying to beat down the gates with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah obviously if the conversation is lighter I can just say he looks like a single shaved bollock with googly eyes stuck on but if someone wants an actual serious thought I'm going to give them one.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d say people extremely rarely do want a serious thought from you. Not unless you can phrase it snappily and in a way that gives them ample room to respond without feeling like they’re being preached at, talked down to, attacked or debated. It’s a loving tricky thing to do which is why i think most people would be well advised to take the more subtle approach.

I used to be one to bring up the concepts and ideas as the material of the conversation, but as time goes on I’ve found that being a good man is far more something you do than something you talk about. It’s a set of behaviours to model and have others aspire to, and to gently guide them in the direction of. People very rarely stay engaged once you’re just saying ‘this is feminism this is why it’s good for you’. And whatever else has been said tonight, we are losing the battle currently. If you’re defending the general left’s (as nebulous a concept as that is) approach to this then you’re fundamentally defending a losing strategy and should re-evaluate. The world we want to live in isn’t the world we live in and although we’d all like to be honest and forthright at all times that isn’t how human society has ever worked and I doubt it ever will be.

E: also Rugz, you don’t have the best arguing style and your idea of a minister for men comes off as a it mad to people in this thread but personally I apologise for being a bit of a dick about agreeing with you on this. Hope you stick around!

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 29, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yes. More than one person was involved cutting down a massive tree in there middle of nowhere. Well done

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes. More than one person was involved cutting down a massive tree in there middle of nowhere. Well done

I doubt the 60 year old man was there with his 16 year old mate doing it for misguided youthful hijinks is more the point I think

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I doubt the 60 year old man was there with his 16 year old mate doing it for misguided youthful hijinks is more the point I think

we dont know poo poo yet. could be the guy whose chainsaw it was

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jimbly Crombly cutting down famous trees in Scotland!!!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

it was this side of the wall!!!!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
british chainsaw man you say

https://twitter.com/chescaminican/status/1611901326711029762

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I heard Jebembly Clobb'rins wanted to cut down 2 billion sycamore gap sycamores.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

If I make 60 I'll still be doing teenage hijinks.

but not cutting down trees. Nice trees.

This lad needs to be begummed. This is terrorism. Take his nationality.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If I make 60 I'll still be doing teenage hijinks.

but not cutting down trees. Nice trees.

This lad needs to be begummed. This is terrorism. Take his nationality.

I actually don’t doubt that to be fair, no one can say you don’t have a certain zest for taking life by the short and curlies.

Still, it doesn’t feel to me like some sort of Goodnight Mr. Tom-esque odd couple.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
There's been speculation it was this guy, evicted from his farm last week:
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/plankey-mill-northumberland-farmer-eviction-27766907

quote:

A farmer has been evicted from his life-long home in Northumberland after battling the landowners to stay at the property.

Walter Renwick, 68, was born at Plankey Mill and is a well-known face to visitors at the popular beauty spot, near Hexham, where he ran a campsite. But Walter was served with an eviction notice earlier this year and initially told to leave the farm by July 11.

He was then granted a 28-day reprieve from eviction after the pensioner took his fight to Carlisle County Court. But the farmer still faced eviction and now the Jesuits in Britain, who own the land, say they took possession of the property on Thursday, September 21.

The Jesuits said many people denouncing the repossession have based their objections on the fact Walter has been running a paid-for campsite on fields adjacent to the property. They said the campsite was never allowed under the terms of the lease, and did not have planning permission from the local authority but they never took action on this point.

But over a number of years, the Jesuits say they have received complaints from both the local council and the National Trust, who own an adjacent property, about the "antisocial behaviour of several campers, especially during the pandemic in 2020".

Northumberland County Council bosses said they received a complaint in 2020 regarding an unauthorised campsite on Plankey Mill Farm but because it was more than 10 years old it did not require planning permission

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I actually don’t doubt that to be fair, no one can say you don’t have a certain zest for taking life by the short and curlies.

Still, it doesn’t feel to me like some sort of Goodnight Mr. Tom-esque odd couple.

lol that you got probated in a thread dedicated to my hero, elon

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jeez... what a shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
When the tree falls aside
Like a drunken farmhand, sycamore