Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Funny, but no. I have a theme for thread titles, including one already planned for TFT, and I'm sticking to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the Scourge are not, say, the Vampire Counts from Warhammer Fantasy, chanting "Kill them! Raise them!" because their leader has a theoretically sort-of legitimate claim to the throne and resents that he was considered disqualified based on him being an undead blood-drinking monster.

They're an anime style "We will destroy the world and remake it in our image of PERFECT DEATH AND ORDER!" threat.

Aha, the Age of Sigmar Nagash school of Necromancy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I generally try to avoid learning anything about Age of Sigmar.

Except for the Kharadron. Steampunk sky pirate dwarfs can stay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tyrande also calls Malfurion 'Mal' as a childhood nickname, so yeah, Malfurion is his full first name.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tyrande also calls Malfurion 'Mal' as a childhood nickname, so yeah, Malfurion is his full first name.

Poor Furion. Destined to turn evil from the time he was given a name.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

wologar posted:

Poor Furion. Destined to turn evil from the time he was given a name.

He actually hasn't turned evil yet, somehow!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fajita Queen posted:

He is dead, so give it time for him to get corrupted in the afterlife or something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gun Jam posted:

Look at it this way - most heroes (pre TFT), have two activated combat abilities, an ultimate, and the third is either a passive/aura, a scouting ability, or an auto-cast (only one passive ultimate, tauren chieftain's ).
But the priestess? one scouting, one passive aura, and one auto-cast (buffing her attack). There is less to do with her than anybody else.

On the other hand, her scouting ability does create a controllable unit, so perhaps their thought was that controlling it added more complexity?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fajita Queen posted:

Neither Brother ever went actually evil surprisingly. Illidan is though a total rear end in a top hat

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Neither Brother ever went actually evil surprisingly. Illidan is though a total rear end in a top hat
Yeah, no. He is definitely evil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Chill on Illidan y'all. We'll meet him soon enough.

In any event, the next mission has been recorded. I hope y'all are ready for CORRUPTION!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 30, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Why would I even be here if it wasn't for the CORRUPTION?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

About the Druids of the Flame. The PTR for the next patch explains that they were able to replenish their numbers by recruiting a bunch of lost, angry, and hopless elves in the aftermath of Teldrassil(boy I can't wait for that fun topic), but now that things a less hopless for the night elves, some of them are having second thoughts about the whole "burn the world" plan and want to return. I assume this is going to lead to unlockable red fire elf skins for the night elves, so that's cool, at least.

The writers may not know how to do right by the night elves most of the time, but at least the art department keeps giving them cool stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Are there any major plot points that revolve around actual corruption, like bribery/profiteering/etc.? I think the goblin starting zone has a lot of that, but I don't think they've ever done a thing where instead of an elder god or some other bullshit, it was just pure greed that caused the problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dirk the Average posted:

Are there any major plot points that revolve around actual corruption, like bribery/profiteering/etc.? I think the goblin starting zone has a lot of that, but I don't think they've ever done a thing where instead of an elder god or some other bullshit, it was just pure greed that caused the problem.

Depends on whether you count it if it was some apocalyptic evil or other pulling the strings, or 'dug too greedily and too deep' scenarios.

The Defias are the former, except they were ultimately an Old God plot via the black dragons. There's been several cases of the latter over the years.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dirk the Average posted:

The Defias is kind of a big plot revolving around that, though depends on how much you consider it unfair that it was also partially influenced by Onyxia/Katrana Prestor.

If you want to consider 'greed' there's maybe the whole Horde scuffle in Ashenvale about lumber, though there's a big debate on whether the lumber was 'necessary' for the Horde or not.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Cythereal posted:

Depends on whether you count it if it was some apocalyptic evil or other pulling the strings, or 'dug too greedily and too deep' scenarios.

The Defias are the former, except they were ultimately an Old God plot via the black dragons. There's been several cases of the latter over the years.

The human heritage armor questline is in a big part about the Defias and what happened to them afterwards, it is neat. It also shows that by the time of Vanilla WoW, the defias old guard who wanted justice are basically poisoned by rage and hatred, and the new guys are a mixture of people who honestly think the Defias are the only way to get help for the dispossessed of Stormwind and just legbreaking goons who want violence and robbery.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Malfurion looks so loving goofy in that little mini portrait holy poo poo.

This map just seals in how...superfluous the whole "the night elves first fight the horde and alliance then eventually come to accept them, just as they did for each other!" thing feels. Just focus entirely on the whole "we need to activate the Ancient Defenses" thing! Of course, then you hit the problem where you're probably fighting the Scourge on every single map. The struggles of writing an RTS storyline, maybe.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

This map just seals in how...superfluous the whole "the night elves first fight the horde and alliance then eventually come to accept them, just as they did for each other!" thing feels. Just focus entirely on the whole "we need to activate the Ancient Defenses" thing! Of course, then you hit the problem where you're probably fighting the Scourge on every single map. The struggles of writing an RTS storyline, maybe.

The struggles of writing an RTS, but especially those of writing one where all the sympathetic factions band together to fight the bad guys. It worked in Starcraft but they only had the three there, and two of the campaigns spent half their run focused on civil war.
Clichι as the corruption thing is, maybe they should have had some orcs and humans on the demons' side too (perhaps keep the Warsong clan around as fel orcs, minus Grom? The demons picked up some slaves or collaborators in Lordaeron and brought them over with the Scourge? There's room to fit those into the plot I think) just so that the game isn't 75% "undead vs someone else".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

The struggles of writing an RTS, but especially those of writing one where all the sympathetic factions band together to fight the bad guys. It worked in Starcraft but they only had the three there, and two of the campaigns spent half their run focused on civil war.
Clichι as the corruption thing is, maybe they should have had some orcs and humans on the demons' side too (perhaps keep the Warsong clan around as fel orcs, minus Grom? The demons picked up some slaves or collaborators in Lordaeron and brought them over with the Scourge? There's room to fit those into the plot I think) just so that the game isn't 75% "undead vs someone else".

Could have gotten some mileage out of having some Cult of the Damned members sneak in with the rest of the human survivors and actively sabotage relations with the other factions.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Poil posted:

Yeah, no. He is definitely evil.

I AM MY SCARS

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gridlocked posted:

I AM MY SCARS

What part of 'Chill on Illidan, y'all' did you not understand?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But that ne hero has skills that all reference fire? We've already seen the two ice heroes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Night Elf 4: Dark of the Moon

Is it just me, or has this story about an apocalyptic threat to the world not felt very apocalyptic?

My heart rejoices to see you again, my love. But I would not have awakened you unless the need was urgent.
In the Dream, I felt the land being corrupted, just as if it were my own body. You were right to awaken me.

We played out the fall of Quel'thalas, which frankly wasn't all that big of a deal, and then there was the cutscene with Dalaran, sure.

As was foretold...

But then we were off to Kalimdor for Thrall and Grom's wacky adventures, and now the night elf campaign has spent more time fighting the people we already know are heroes than dealing with the looming end of the world.

It's mission #34 out of 37 and we're just now learning what the Legion is after beyond the vague statement of 'end of the world.'

I can't help but compare Warcraft 3's plot to its contemporary Starcraft (see JohnKilltrane's excellent ongoing LP if you're not familiar with that game), and find Warcraft 3 extremely lacking.

Ever since the end of the human campaign, which was tightly plotted and had important things happening in every single mission, I've been fighting a persistent itch to yell at the game to get to the point already.

So many missions in this game have boiled to faffing around while the three purportedly heroic factions have sitcom level misunderstandings and hijinks with added murder and suffering.

It's not like these missions are even character development. Thrall did not have a character arc about learning the truth of his peoples' history and that Grom and other leaders lied to him to sanitize their past. Jaina did not have a character arc about learning to forgive and moving on. They were quite happily murdering each other in job lots until Medivh yelled at them. Nobody learned anything, nobody grew as a character, no one spared a moment for introspection.

And now it's the night elves' turn in the same barrel.

Malfurion is the second night elf hero, and much more interesting to play than Tyrande, even if Tyrande's aura arguably makes her more powerful. Keepers of the grove have an area immobilize spell, can turn trees into summoned combat units, and have this aura that's most useful with units we don't have yet.

Oh yeah, there's not a single new regular unit this mission, just Malfurion.

Much like how Night Elf 2 was a gimmick/tutorial mission designed around a feature of the night elves that isn't used much in multiplayer/skirmish because it's situational so they had to specially tailor the map to it, this mission is the same deal. The gimmick of this level is that the night elves' treant buildings (but not the hunter's hall or moonwells) are mobile. You won't see this often in multiplayer except for repositioning the night elf turrets, but in this mission there's a lot of gold mines with not much gold, encouraging you to move your base as you advance.

There is exactly one time in Blizzard's entire RTS history when I think they've gotten the mobile building gimmick done well, and that's the zombie horde faction in Starcraft 2's co-op multiplayer, where the timed life on all the zombies means that you genuinely get more mileage out of your units by moving production facilities close to the front line and can bring their defenses along with them.

Tyrande makes sure you get the gimmick.

Don't be fooled by the existence of this Horde base to the north, the Scourge base to the south, or the Alliance base to the northeast. They exist to spam air units at each other for window dressing that will only occasionally attack you or transport in ground troops to attack.

So remember how I said that Blizzard has only one plot for furbolgs?

I wasn't kidding. I do at times exaggerate or mention things out of context for the sake of humor in my lore essays, but I do try to make it clear when I'm joking. I wasn't really joking about the furbolgs.

Let me guess, the Green Dragonflight was too busy in the Emerald Dream to help in this fight.
Says the flight that can never get up off their collective rear end whenever there's an enemy in common. Except for that one at Wyrmrest during the Northrend campaign, I guess.

Or yell at our former Guardian of Tirisfal even after she recovered her strength.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Ask my good for nothing grandson for help if you want.
NO.

Ultimately, I think that Blizzard's decision to not make the Burning Legion a legitimate faction probably hurt the game by necessarily keeping them somewhat elusive as enemies.

Former Blizzard devs have claimed that no one at Blizzard really liked the idea of this unstoppable world-destroying force needing to harvest lumber and gold, but I've been playing a lot of Warhammer Total War since picking that game up and they solved the solution nicely: the demons in charge don't need infrastructure and mundane supplies, but their cultists sure do, and the demonic factions in that game in practical terms start off as mostly human and elf cultists with a handful of demons running the show, and transition into more fully demonic forces (and enhanced allies like hell-sworn knights riding demonic beasts) as they tech up and develop. Somebody has to write the grimoires, make the athames, buy the ritual supplies, and build all the random giant spikes, after all.

I briefly contemplated a Warhammer Total War LP from the perspective of a cultist administrator in one of those factions, playing the whole thing for absurd humor, before goons taught me that Warhammer nerds are much, much scarier than Warcraft nerds.

I think another part of the issue is that both our resident villain protagonists of this game, Arthas and Grom, had what I see as effectively the same tipping point: "I'll do whatever I must to win, even if it costs my soul. Oh no the evil power I sold my soul to actually doesn't give a poo poo what I want, time to bend over."

We're in the final act of the story. In a game with a more coherent narrative, this would be the part of the game where the heroes are all together now and trying to prevail against all odds. Or this would be where the rug is pulled out from under the player with a dramatic twist.

Instead, in the fourth to last mission of Reign of Chaos we're still being introduced to new characters and learning about their relationships, and we're not done yet. There's another night elf hero unit, after all.

Now, my distaste for Tyrande being so trigger-happy aside, I don't actually dislike the night elf campaign so far in and of itself.

But as the fourth and final campaign of a four-act story that's going to include the big finale to the game?

I'm not just frustrated, I'm bored.

This campaign - really, the second half of this entire game after we left Arthas - feels to me like it's missing something (or several somethings) and I'm not entirely sure what.

By the way, about a quarter of the map is devoted to a sidequest about fighting through a maze full of ghosts and skeletons and evil treants to fight a revenant thing and restore the forest. I'm unclear on what exactly this did. Going back to the main path triggers a cutscene.

Pathetic wretches! It pains me that you once called yourselves night elves!

So by the power of CORRUPTION, it's time for another corrupted subfaction, this time giving the night elves a mirror match! Well, kind of. Despite having corrupted wisps and treants and moonwells, these buildings produce satyr units.

At least we're back to fighting, you know, the actual villains of the game now.

Another little night elf factoid from WoW: when the draenei arrived on Azeroth, they brought with them land mounts but had no flying mounts with them. So the night elves taught them how to tame and ride hippogryphs.

There used to be a whole night elf district in Stormwind, in fact!

Deathwing blew it up (and almost nothing else in the city) during Cataclysm, according to NPC chatter killing almost every single night elf living in the city.

The area was only rebuilt in Legion, and then as a memorial to Varian Wrynn, who I really should do a lore post on one of these days.

Honestly, the night elves taking it in the keister so much over the years in WoW is part of why I find the Alliance fascinating.

These days in WoW, the gnomes, night elves, draenei, worgen, lightforged, void elves, and maybe the new dragon folks (not 100% on their lore) are all fundamentally refugee races whose homes were destroyed. The Kul Tirans only joined after enduring a multi-faction civil war and outside invasions that severely diminished the once-formidable nation.

In a way, the modern day Alliance and the Horde have effectively traded places as the mighty hegemonic empire and the collection of refugees and outcasts clinging together for survival.

Just another one of those stories that pops up around Warcraft that I find fascinating and Blizzard will probably never touch on, I suppose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This Angers Me Greatly

This particular lore post doesn't, but fair cop to y'all.

Today's subject, Malfurion Stormrage.

Malfurion Stormrage was born during the height of the Kaldorei Empire in a village known as Lorlathil, near the great city of Suramar. Along with his little brother Illidan, Malfurion was orphaned at an early age - how and why we don't know - and largely left to fend for himself. By happenstance he made the acquaintance of the young noblewoman Tyrande Whisperwind in Suramar, and Tyrande's family wealth and influence allowed Malfurion to go to school. Malfurion had a keen intellectual mind, though no gift for arcane magic, and it's been implied that the Whisperwind family allowed this relationship and education because Malfurion promised to be a useful servant - there's been references to Malfurion having spent a great deal of time in libraries in his youth, and it seems likely that he had been informally adopted by the Whisperwind family as a household servant.

As a young man, however, there came a day when Malfurion traveled into the woods outside Suramar and got lost. After wandering in the woods for several hours - which Malfurion attributed to spending more time studying the trees and animals he saw than watching where he was going - he attracted the curiosity of the forest demigod Cenarius. The two spoke for many hours, and Cenarius was intrigued by the young elf. Malfurion was enthusiastic to learn everything he could about the forest and the balance of nature, not for any political advantage or hope of magic, but out of simple and sincere love of learning and a deep respect for the natural world. By the end of their meeting, Cenarius agreed to take Malfurion as a student, teaching him the magic and deep lore of the wilderness. Malfurion Stormrage had become the first night elf druid (and for a long time in Warcraft lore, credited as the first druid period, before later retcons asserted that there had been many before him, just not night elves).

Malfurion at the time of the War of the Ancients

Though unable or unwilling to use arcane magic himself, as Malfurion grew into the role of druid he began to study the flows of magic in the land itself, particularly concerning the Well of Eternity. The Kaldorei Empire had quite literally been built with the Well's power, and from what Cenarius had taught him, Malfurion became concerned that over-use of arcane magic was having a detrimental effect on the land. The scholarly establishment of the Empire laughed Malfurion out of the room when he presented his conclusion that the Well was growing unstable and endangering the Empire, pronouncing him a wild-eyed doomsayer, but some people did listen. There had been incidents within the Empire of magic running out of control, tears in reality through which horrors poured through and mages driven to madness when they drew upon powers they could not control. At Queen Azshara's direction, Imperial authorities had tried to cover up these disasters, write them off as isolated accidents, or attribute them to warfare between rival noble houses. Malfurion, however, had become convinced that these incidents had been caused by the magocratic Empire abusing magic and would only grow in frequency and intensity.

In particular, Prince Dath'Remar Sunstrider dismissed Malfurion as a country bumpkin who never should have been allowed into the scholarly circles of the Empire, and there were unproven allegations that Sunstrider had attempted to have Malfurion assassinated in the waning years of the Kaldorei Empire.

Malfurion's fears proved correct when Azshara opened a portal to the Twisting Nether and the War of the Ancients began. Where Tyrande rallied Elune's faithful to defend Azeroth, Malfurion emerged as the leader of the peasants and laborers of Kaldorei society, as well as an ambassador to the druids and various nature spirits and other powers. Some nobles within the Empire recalled Malfurion's warnings and joined his side, bringing with them their family fortunes and the weapons and equipment for the rebellion.

Ultimately, it was Malfurion Stormrage who directly caused the Great Sundering during his battle with Queen Azshara on the shores of the Well of Eternity. Finding Azshara too powerful to beat directly, Malfurion instead prepared a spell of great magic to turn the land and air itself against Azshara, intending to eject the queen, her court, and their portal into the space beyond Azeroth's orbit, forcibly severing them from the Well of Eternity by sheer physical force. Instead, the overlapping magics of Malfurion's spell, Azshara's portal, and the Well itself merged and destabilized, shattering the world forever.

As the tattered remnants of the night elves convened in the ruins of their empire, Malfurion took personal responsibility for what had happened. Where Tyrande Whisperwind had been proclaimed the spiritual and military leader of the surviving Kaldorei, Malfurion Stormrage was a much more ambiguous figure. Tyrande loved him, which was good enough for some, but it had been Malfurion's apocalyptic battle with Queen Azshara that had caused the Sundering and some recalled the dissent he had stirred up against the nobility in the Empire's closing years. With Azshara and her court presumed dead, some of the survivors - particularly Highborne Prince Dath'remar Sunstrider - turned to blaming Malfurion for the fall of the Empire and all that had ensued. When Malfurion entered a trance to enter the Emerald Dream and speak with the surviving Wild Gods, Sunstrider and his followers attempted to assassinate Malfurion. They were unsuccessful, and this lead directly to Malfurion and Tyrande deciding to ban the use of arcane magic entirely by the surviving Kaldorei.

Much of the covenant struck between the night elves, the Aspects, and the Wild Gods was negotiated by Malfurion. Tyrande had always been the beloved leader of the night elf people, but Malfurion had kept one foot firmly in the world of spirits and the greater balance.

In truth, Malfurion was unpopular even with his fellow druids. Many believed that the Kaldorei had a responsibility to the entire world, to set the whole world to order and keep watch over all, not just the newly planted Nordrassil. Malfurion believed that this risked repeating the tragedy of the Empire, and the Kaldorei were stretched too thin as it was. They could not, Malfurion felt, impose themselves as the masters of the world and keep all the world in shackles. While Malfurion's point of view carried the day and became the official norm for the night elves, many druids would attempt to defy him over the millennia since. Often to disastrous result.

Malfurion Stormrage would proceed to spend the overwhelming majority of his time between the War of the Ancients and Warcraft 3, and after Warcraft 3, fighting off assassination attempts and attempts to corrupt him, both occurring regularly in both the waking world and in the Emerald Dream. Almost everyone who wanted to take over Azeroth judged the Shan'do - the night elf title for an archdruid, formally meaning 'teacher' - a priority target. The Emerald Nightmare tried it. The Elemental Lords tried it. The Scourge tried it. The Horde tried it. Deathwing tried it. The night elves tried it, in particular a pain in the rear end named Fadral Staghelm - this was the guy responsible for the Vordrassil disaster and thus the Emerald Nightmare, and that was merely his biggest fuckup - who would ultimately become the first Druid of the Flame.

Really, there's not a whole lot to tell about Malfurion's presence in WoW beyond that he's been targeted for assassination and corruption nonstop through the years, and ambitious night elves keep defying his edicts and causing one disaster after another because, as was the case with Malfurion's warnings to the Kaldorei Empire, the dude is actually pretty smart and wise but seems to be something of an eternal Cassandra in Warcraft. That and he does general druid things, trying to hold the planet together after the latest disaster.

More notably, Malfurion backed up Tyrande emphatically when she reluctantly agreed to let the Highborne return to night elf society and begin teaching apprentices. Malfurion clarified that he had never felt that arcane magic was inherently evil. Dangerous, yes, and easily abused. But used carefully, there was nothing wrong with the arcane. Malfurion's dictum against arcane magic after the Sundering had been a reaction to the near-destruction of the world and the existence of aristocratic mages like Dath'remar Sunstrider and Malfurion's own brother Illidan who had intended to keep on without learning a drat thing from the fall of their empire. At the time, Malfurion felt that banning arcane magic entirely was the correct move. Ten thousand years later, he felt that night elf society could give this another chance and hopefully wouldn't repeat the sins of the past.

In the more recent expansions, life has kept on for Malfurion has it always has: kicking him in the balls while he shouts that you fools will doom us all, to which the fools respond by dooming them all until cataclysm is narrowly averted at the last second (usually a group of nameless adventurers is involved). He's presently sorta-dead, tagging Ysera out of the Shadowlands to take her place among the dead while she does green dragon things in the current expansion with the promise that they'll tag back out at the end of this expansion.

He gets a bad rap from the WoW player base a lot, and I do see why: he's mostly relegated to the role of Generic Good Guy Leader as the head druid of the most druid-y race, and most of the interesting parts about Malfurion like his long-suffering role as probably Warcraft's most consistent Cassandra character and his deep well of anger for how people keep loving up every good thing he does that he tries very hard to keep under control are relegated to books. Altogether, if you read all the supplementary materials you get an impression of a wise, ancient, powerful dude who's constantly fighting the urge to get up and start slapping people but knows that wouldn't actually help anything and settles for gritting his teeth and angrily muttering about how could people please stop breaking the planet for a few years.

I think it's kind of telling that the happiest and most emotional you ever see Malfurion in WoW comes when he finally has a feel-good excuse to start punching someone.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I want to post a video of Malfurion actually being scary but that is only really relevant after the 4th war lore post so-

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I think it's kind of telling that the happiest and most emotional you ever see Malfurion in WoW comes when he finally has a feel-good excuse to start punching someone.

I'll admit, I'm curious what specific instance you're referring to here.

As for Reforged... nothing new here, move along.

1.33 changed the terrain; the map on the loading screen shows this mission takes place in or near Winterspring, so 1.33 finally decided to have the terrain fit the zone, which is a great big winterscape.

The gimmick with that corrupted forest is that the undead and ghosts and corrupt Treants and stuff will keep respawning as you move units through it no matter how many times you kill them all; killing the Revenant not only makes the place prettier and generally less dead, it also stops all those undead from harassing anyone who steps into the forest.

There's also a Sobi Mask that can be found in the southwest corner of the corrupt forest; behind some trees is a very powerful creep called and Ancient Storm Wyrm, a very powerful Lightning Lizard enemy that drops the mask on death. It improves the Mana Regeneration of the bearer by 50%. Very useful.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Malfurion whenever he walks outside and sees yet another world-ending threat on the horizon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'll admit, I'm curious what specific instance you're referring to here.

Val'sharah and attached dungeon in Legion is what I had in mind specifically. Xavius keeps making bad guy rants to Malfurion who he has imprisoned, and Malfurion is just sitting there poo poo talking Xavius the whole way through.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Val'sharah and attached dungeon in Legion is what I had in mind specifically. Xavius keeps making bad guy rants to Malfurion who he has imprisoned, and Malfurion is just sitting there poo poo talking Xavius the whole way through.

Which is really funny to point out to people who don't understand that the whining and moaning occurring in the quests just prior to that dungeon are in fact a trick by Xavius, and not actually Malfurion.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

About mobile buildings - Starcraft 2 does a really good job with them. Zerg "static" defenses are frequently repositioned in high level play (this is especially true of their anti-air buildings). Terran players will very frequently move their buildings around, not only to swap between reactors and tech labs, but also to do things like place a barracks close to the enemy early game to cause their first few units to hit much faster, and then fly those buildings back home or use them as extremely durable scouts to provide vision to crucial parts of the map. Not to mention the later game use of dragging orbital commands over to expand to bases when the resources are exhausted, or building a command center in a safe location and then flying it in to build a planetary fortress in a less defensible location.

The Night Elf buildings definitely are kind of meh in that regard though.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I don't remember this level at all. I remember getting the Ravens, I remember the following 3? 4? missions. But I feel like I'm seeing this whole level for the first time.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

For reference, the original Furion model was almost identical to the Druid of the Talon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Oh god I remember that. Xavius is going "There's nothing you can do to stop me! My plans are perfe-Wait, how did you do that? No! Stop! Stop it! Stupid murder-hobos, stop breaking everything!" While Malfurion is just poo poo-talking him and basically dying from laughter the entire time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Night Elf 4: Dark of the Moon
It's mission #34 out of 37 and we're just now learning what the Legion is after beyond the vague statement of 'end of the world.'
…
So many missions in this game have boiled to faffing around while the three purportedly heroic factions have sitcom level misunderstandings and hijinks with added murder and suffering.
…
We're in the final act of the story. In a game with a more coherent narrative, this would be the part of the game where the heroes are all together now and trying to prevail against all odds. Or this would be where the rug is pulled out from under the player with a dramatic twist.
…
Instead, in the fourth to last mission of Reign of Chaos we're still being introduced to new characters and learning about their relationships, and we're not done yet. There's another night elf hero unit, after all.
…
But as the fourth and final campaign of a four-act story that's going to include the big finale to the game?

I'm not just frustrated, I'm bored.
…
This campaign - really, the second half of this entire game after we left Arthas - feels to me like it's missing something (or several somethings) and I'm not entirely sure what.
I think this really explains how the campaign isn’t working at all from a storytelling perspective. There is no overarching plot or story progression. The same story beats are being hit multiple times. The same mistakes are done again and again. Almost to the end of the campaign the game is still tutorialising. Nobody has really developed or learned anything. A lot of the missions could have been left out and nothing in the story would have been missed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Oh god I remember that. Xavius is going "There's nothing you can do to stop me! My plans are perfe-Wait, how did you do that? No! Stop! Stop it! Stupid murder-hobos, stop breaking everything!" While Malfurion is just poo poo-talking him and basically dying from laughter the entire time.

Malfurion has been clowning on Xavius throughout history. Malfurion blew him up during the war of the ancients, and when the Sargeras brought him back as a Satyr, Malfurion turned him into a tree. And then killed him again in the Dream before he eventually returned in Legion. He has absolutely no reason to be intimidated by this guy at all.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Cythereal, I admit I'd enjoy reading your takes on TW: Warhammer as well as the Old World setting at large, especially through the kind of unexamined perspectives you're good at describing. I'm sure you'd do your concept justice, even if we won't get to see it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
All the assassinations sound like they'd get played for comedy in a fan animation. Malfurion wakes up, gets a cup of coffee, dodges a crossbow bolt through the window without noticing it, goes out to get the paper, he lifts it up to read and a dozen shurikens and throwing daggers stick in the back of it without him noticing, etc. etc. going through his day almost getting hit by a ton of things he only dodges by accident.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Just chatting with one failed assassin as they hang upside-down from a branch, critiquing their form, while he grooms his ridiculous eyebrows in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Ask my good for nothing grandson for help if you want.
NO.

I wonder if they'll ever have the idea of bringing him back from retconland - Hopefully not, but who knows with them.

Cythereal posted:

In a way, the modern day Alliance and the Horde have effectively traded places as the mighty hegemonic empire and the collection of refugees and outcasts clinging together for survival.

Huh, I never realised this, but good point - We're never getting population figures but given BFA there's a good chance the Horde has more people now than the Alliance.