Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Count Roland posted:

I've been actively thinking about exactly this sort of scheduling lately. I'm quite interested to see how others have approached it.

I assume it depends on the usual composition of beginner classes in terms of regulars vs people starting from scratch.

The more regulars you have, the more you could benefit from linear progression (steadily building a repertoire of moves/tactics and not revisiting regularly, with increasing attention to details) vs rotation (coming back to the same topics regularly and adding advanced instruction for students who are ready for it).
But that linearity can be challenging if someone new comes in without any background. The context of a given lesson might have progressed further than a complete beginner can come to grips with.

Case in point -- new person showed up to a small class.
I was having them work on throwing front kicks stably, finding opportunities to throw the front kick, and also teaching how to read the front kick and convert into a catch and trip.
The new guy's footwork was terrible, but I had to let it go so he could get the general idea of the sport/class as well as the specific lesson. Ultimately he enjoyed it, so I hope to see him back.
I'm sure he would not liked it as much if I made him start with footwork fundamentals and grind those until he stopped making mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not BJJ obviously, but we typically have brand a new students partake in the general warm ups (to their ability), and then we'll have the assistant work with them exclusively for about 30-40 minutes as the rest of class continues. We wrap up with the new student watching the last ~10 minutes (typically free sparring) and try to answer any questions they might have.

Ideally, after a first class and one-one instructing, we try to get 2 basic stances down, 2 blocks and a punch which are the constituents of their first pattern/form.
e: Ideally first class, but typically 1-3.

Some people catch on super quickly, others can't even get through just the stances. We of course don't expect or look for perfection, and if the student struggles with a basic stance for long, we'll move on to a strike (either punch of basic kick) so they get to to *something* that's not the most boring thing ever for around 30 minutes.

I find when you explain to a student, especially an adult, what a proper stance looks like and why its the way it is (proper weight balance for example) the light bulb starts to go off. And then as they advance over the weeks and months, things start to click and they put 2+2 together and better understand the practicality. "If I have a stance where my weight is biased to the back foot, I can do a front leg kick that much quicker"

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 19, 2023

Origen
Aug 22, 2023

nth Term posted:

Sorry to distract from Willie chat, but do any any WI goons know of a good school around Madison.

I could use some exercise and I figure martial arts would be way more interesting than standard exercise.

I train at Journey Academy on the west side of Madison. Great school, was well reviewed when i did my research. https://journeybjjacademy.com

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I hope that other poster is a black belt in something by now :3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

holy necro reply lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We don't have a beginner's class, we have a ~fundamentals~ class.

It focuses on one position (half guard, side control, mount etc) a month and, over the course of three to five classes it covers all the basics of attack and defense. However, when a day one person attende the coach "resets" the class for them and basically cuts the amount of teaching he was going to do in half in order to spend some time addressing the absolute basics (what is a guard, what is a top position, what is a submission, tapping, etc).

When I'm with a brand new person during rolling I show them the absolute minimum they need to work positions (one escape, one pass, etc) and have them do that with for the round.

So like how to bridge trap roll, how to pass to side control after that escape, and how to go to mount from side control - which sets up the whole thing again. What really helps, maybe next class once they have that minimal moveset, is to then "fight" for mount with them, using only the moves they've been taught. That really helps them make the mental leap from being shown some moves in isolation to actually gaining some understanding of what's going on in a roll.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

EdsTeioh posted:

Y'all, I think I've got a pretty bad case of bursitis in my wrist that's creeping down to my ring finger. Anyone ever dealt with this? Any good non-surgical treatments?

Rest.

And ice and anti inflammatory medication, but primarily rest. I get it in my elbows from time to time, and the only thing that works is fully not using my elbow in any way that triggers discomfort until it's happy again.

Currently dealing with tendinitis in my thumb and forefinger where the only solution is to stop typing on any device, screen or keyboard. You can probably guess how well my recovery is going :sigh:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Rest.

And ice and anti inflammatory medication, but primarily rest. I get it in my elbows from time to time, and the only thing that works is fully not using my elbow in any way that triggers discomfort until it's happy again.

Currently dealing with tendinitis in my thumb and forefinger where the only solution is to stop typing on any device, screen or keyboard. You can probably guess how well my recovery is going :sigh:

GDI yeah I work in IT as my day job so that's gonna be a no-go from me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One of the engineers on my team has a hand limitation that he works around with text to speech apps. He says it’s not ideal but gets by. Probably a rough hill to climb, though. And wouldn’t be feasible in every office environment.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

EdsTeioh posted:

GDI yeah I work in IT as my day job so that's gonna be a no-go from me.

I iced throughout the day and used one of those basketball arm sleeves with the elbow padding, and that helped a lot when I couldn't rest it fully.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm getting referred to a neurologist to test for a nerve entrapment in my right arm the coming months. It's not a super serious impediment to my training/activities, but it's believed to likely cause for my "tired" arm feeling that I get and periodic tingling I sometimes have radiate downwards from my ulna to my pinky, and periodically the index finger side too.

Not debilitating as I have had this condition for many years and physically a strong arm, but sometimes it makes lengthy drills which require a lot of hands up in a guard and jabs simply exhausting on my right side so I periodically need to drop it.

Otherwise, we're starting our 2023-24 year right now (Sept - June) and we have a healthy intake of new students and even a few new adults. I'm officially on the schedule for instructing now which is going to force me to get "better" myself with memory items and fine technique, but take away my own training time. I find myself toying with the idea of going for my 2nd Dan this year.... largely because look, I'm not getting younger (50 now) and the risk of injury during a test gets higher as I age. As with my 1st, we do a contract system where it is a 9 month commitment/process culminating with the testing in June. I'm pretty sure I can dedicate the time to do it (much to Mrs. Slidebites dismay) but I'm a little unsure of is I don't know of anyone else going for their 2nd this year, let alone a good physical size match for our arranged component. If I don't have a good partner I might have to impose on one of a very select few senior BBs that have their own commitments. I'm going to feel out a couple of my closest 1 degree buddies this coming week for their interest in testing. I think I need to decide by the fist week of October.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 10, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Have been digesting this since Friday.

One of my students also takes another block on the schedule -- Intro to Sparring, taught by my coach. I think any instructor can sign off on a student going into the Friday general sparring session, though there's really only a couple classes that would funnel into sparring.
I had assumed the student would clear it with me before going to full sparring, but he got the ok through the other class.

When I found out, my reaction was "hmm, he doesn't seem ready for it based on his performance in class; I better go check it out."
As much as I'd like to be in the gym all the time, it's just a touch logistically inconvenient. That or I just prioritize spending time with my kid at home after work.
So that's how I framed it to him -- I'm going at least once to see what you're doing, and whether you're just in there wasting brain cells or if you're able to collect something out of this. He was cool with me cornering him the whole time and said he would listen to advice I would shout out in the round.

Anyways, I pull up, he says he's fresh and good for 6-7 rounds tonight. Gets paired up with a Muay Thai striker and then proceeds to stand around getting jabbed and kicked in the lead leg. gave a big sigh mentally, but started coaching. He wasn't very responsive for the first round, but had a small breakthrough in the second round, which was boxing with one of our really seasoned coaches. She's only 5'5" though, so this was a perfect illustration of how circling right (as a southpaw) away from her orthodox right hand would basically keep her from landing it. I just kept on him to circle and he did listen to me, and succeeded -- completely taking down her landing %.

Between the next rounds, I kept stressing how very basic footwork was completely stymieing his sparring partners. He was still somewhat bothered, in that he thought he would be able to land some combos or harder punches. Whereas I had been on him to throw the jab fast and just score with it, no sting. Double the jab, mess with the timing, etc.
At some point, he said, "i was hoping it would feel like brawling in a street fight, like I could land some heavy shots."
This was after a round where he outlanded 2:1 and his partner threw more strikes than him. I think I was taken aback at how, after coaching this student for more than a year, that he still had this parallel expectation for the reward/feel of sparring, compared to how I had been instructing sanshou as a combat sport.
Anyways, I pointed out how it would be scored as a winning round for him, which helped cement his dedication to the cornering.
He improved in each successive round until the end, where he matched against a significantly taller and reachier fighter with some pretty nice up-down MT combos. He was doing ok circling, but I could tell he that getting scored on was really dragging him into trying to answer back without proper setups. And finally being outreached in the pocket definitely led to being frozen up in a clinch instead of continuing to pummel and circle out.

Still, I thought he had tremendous overall progression under proper strategy from the corner. When he came back to spar the first guy, it was a totally different story. My student by virtue of proactively circling out of danger, was much more balanced on his feet and able to carry that into and out of his offense.
I got a feel for the other guy's tendencies for throwing the single kick, and I was able to call out to my student "jab and check" ahead of the other guy's intent, and I counted -- 4 out of 6 times, he was able to bring up the leg to check the kick in time. It was sobering to realize that I could communicate a move to counter the opponent's intent and have it be understood and carried out in time to still catch the correct prediction. To me, it just meant that there's veriy obvious stuff that I'm observing from these beginig students, close to subconsciously, that has the kind of leadout time such that's still viable to act on through shouting instructions out.

As I suspected from the start, my student's appoarch to sparring was just feeling thingsout without the barest of structure for how to approach executing a whole round, and without enough information processing bandwidth to think about things like stalling the pace or trying to dictate the terms of exchanging.

He complained in the last couple rounds that his jab shoulder was completely sore. So I said, well I guess you know what to work on. I promised him he would be able to add on his desired harder shots once he was able to better handle the immediate tactical situation.

So I'm not mad at him starting to spar, though I did and will continue to caution that he needs to really do this scientifically, and trust that a coach will be giving him better instruction than what he can come up with on his own.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This might be a crazy question, but does anyone use an app (android/Ios) specific to your club?

We were talking about communication with senior belt, general members, maybe a calendar and sharing news, and a simple app came up in discussion.

I, personally am a fan of a web board (much like this/phpBB, etc) as you don't need any software or agreeing to waivers a mile long, just a log in and an active email address. To my surprise I learned that some people don't even really go on the web anymore with a browser and instead use apps? :iiam:

We do NOT want to get handcuffed to something like Facebook or anything along those lines because some people (like me) never joined, don't have any desire to and actually believe that people are leaving some of the big companies.

But what do I know, I'm old.

Are club apps a thing? If so, are there quasi out of the box options you can customize? Or it is swiftly moving into "Hey, you need to hire a developer for this or else it's going to be a hot mess."

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
We just have a website, mailing list, and account with a payment platform. Seems pretty standard for clubs in this art and area.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

slidebite posted:

This might be a crazy question, but does anyone use an app (android/Ios) specific to your club?

We were talking about communication with senior belt, general members, maybe a calendar and sharing news, and a simple app came up in discussion.

I, personally am a fan of a web board (much like this/phpBB, etc) as you don't need any software or agreeing to waivers a mile long, just a log in and an active email address. To my surprise I learned that some people don't even really go on the web anymore with a browser and instead use apps? :iiam:

We do NOT want to get handcuffed to something like Facebook or anything along those lines because some people (like me) never joined, don't have any desire to and actually believe that people are leaving some of the big companies.

But what do I know, I'm old.

Are club apps a thing? If so, are there quasi out of the box options you can customize? Or it is swiftly moving into "Hey, you need to hire a developer for this or else it's going to be a hot mess."

Maybe just use Discord or make a private subreddit if you truly must have an APP

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

we have a couple messenger chats and that's it. If I was asked to install an app (by anyone for any reason) I'd just say "nope."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Our gym during onboarding for instructors said if students or coaches needed to reach each other outside of class, to go through the desk.
We have MindBody to coordinate schedules and subs, and I know in there you can look up students (and with the elevated privileges that the admin put us all on) and their contact info, but I hope no one is abusing it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man I *WISH* we had some sort of unified communication for our gym. Discord or something would be fantastic.

I just had to take 2 weeks off from BJJ due to all that wrist business I had going on. poo poo's crept down to my ring finger and preventing me from doing things like "typing correctly" and playing guitar and stuff. I got an x-ray last week so I could get a referral for the ortho folks who are doing an MRI next week, so TBH I think my entire future doing martial arts in general is up in the air. Really bumming me out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My gym uses Gym Desk. Does attendance, ranks, website schedule and other features. We don't use it for communication though I bet it can send out emails at the least. It's used with Square for payments.

A shared calendar would be great, I never know what competitions are coming up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Communication is a glaring weak point with us. And it's not just figuring out a good method, a lot of it is waiting until the last minute and then it's :supaburn:

Part of the problem is we have members (and guardians) that we need to communicate with which span from active, adult members in their 60s, down to pre-teens, and also Grandparents that are guardians for some young members that might be in their 70s.

So, it's finding something that can be universally "simple" to communicate and share calendars with.

Personally, my gut for simplicity might be a forum not unlike this on our website where we can have open communication with members, plan for certain events, black belt/instructor limited forums, and the like. We can always email when necessary, but part of the problem is, as we're discovering, not everyone checks their email with regularity. But I might be biased because I've been on forums like this since literally the early 90s.

In my mind, everyone at least has access to the internet so no special software or anything would be necessary for access to this, just a browser be it on a desktop, tablet or phone.

As for email, I don't really have an answer for that other than maybe make a point of checking it every few days?

One of our other BBs (about 30) is pushing for a snapchat.. and to be honest I have zero experience with that or Discord or anything like that.

Not like I can't try it/figure it out, I'm sure I can, but not sure how those 20+ years older than me are going to do.

We're really trying to get ideas for making communication simple but effective with minimum of fuss/special tools needed. The app was just an idea, but I'm not even sure if it's reasonable because I can also see:

CommonShore posted:

If I was asked to install an app (by anyone for any reason) I'd just say "nope."
being a feeling with some.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Forum is a poor choice for communication as it required people to actually log on to it.
Whatsapp, (Kakaotalk, if you got a lot of Koreans), google, teams, discord, etc are far superior.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Don’t google, teams, and Discord all have the same level of user gating as an old bb forum?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
A major benefit of using a google group mailing list is that you can interact with it as email rather than dealing with the group interface.

I also neglected to mention we have a series of groupchats but they aren't really front-facing, more like an instructor chat + a social one people get added to at some point.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We have a private facebook group, and we do have a club app for class bookings/schedules/memberships etc, but you can just use an ipad when you walk in the door to track attendance. Nobody needs to download it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Forum is a poor choice for communication as it required people to actually log on to it.
Whatsapp, (Kakaotalk, if you got a lot of Koreans), google, teams, discord, etc are far superior.
Doesn't literally everything require some sort of log in?
e:

kimbo305 posted:

Don’t google, teams, and Discord all have the same level of user gating as an old bb forum?
This is my thought too? Or am I misunderstanding something super super basic?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 20, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If youre worried about people not checking their email, isnt that going to be a problem with literally every other method of communication you could think of except maybe direct texting or calling?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well I personally have a hard time wrapping my head around people not checking their email at least every few days or so, especially your primary email if it isn't pushed to a device already. It was just brought up by someone being devils advocate during our talk the other night and then I realized Mrs. Slidebite is kinda that person so it's not completely insane.

To be perfectly honest, the issue isn't so much people not checking their emails as it is the people sending them in the first place in a timely (IE: NON PANIC) manner which is really the problem.

But my thoughts are a general forum can be easily bookmarked and checked just like any other website you visit and is probably going to be device agnostic and not require any software downloads/app installs. I guess if you don't do anything online for a week or two, you can miss it, but at that point what does work for everyone? Short of calling/texting people directly which just isn't realistic or a group of dozen or so black belts or ~400 general members.

Once again, I'm not convinced a forum is the way to go, I just know from my experience it *should* work, but it's not like anything we've done before.

The app was just the idea but once again, we have some people that don't actually use a mobile phone outside of work and I agree with the whole having to download an app thing. I'd rather not either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

People who don't use mobile/email outside of work are used to getting those messages slow and late. Just send an email to everyone and the info will work its way through.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My Judo club uses Group Me and it's simultaneously an app and a SMS chain, it seems to work well for the grand parents. Once ai turned off notifications and started ignoring it, it's great!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Apropos of nothing I'd like to give a shout out to having a skincare routine for your feet. My comfort levels on the floor have gone up massively ever since I started gently exfoliating then heavily moisturizing them nightly or more often.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What, you don't like calluses and ripping chunks of skin off?

I decided that I'm going to go for my 2nd Dan, testing next June. The part that is a little tricky is that none of the other 1 Dans are planning on it this round so it will be just me. A few are planing to commit starting next March, so I was seriously considering holding off the process another 6 months (BB testing is done 2x per year). However, minds and circumstances change and it's not fair to count on anyone so its not at all unforeseeable that I couldn't be in the same situation next time. So then another 6 months is gone, and I'm not getting any younger.

Had a good chat with my Master and GM about it and the pros/cons of going for it on your own. 2 major reasons are motivation and having a partner for the required partner work. Motivation is not really an issue with me. I'm a pretty dedicated trainer/student so nobody is concerned that I'll need a kick in the butt. If anything, my problem is training too much and not taking enough time off to heal up.

A 1st Dan buddy of mine (and physically a great match) said he'd do the partner work with me. Helps him out as well as he is one of those guys that is hoping to do the process next year.

I haven't told Mrs. Slidebite yet. I think she suspects it so it won't be a total surprise, but it probably will be a little disappointing. Between teaching and training at least 4-5x per week (sometimes 6) I won't be home a lot of evenings until next summer. But her idea of a fun evening is sitting with a cat, reading a book so she'll get a lot of that at least.

But on the plus side, I'm hoping to get my fitness back up so when we go to Korea next July (we're doing a big 2 week club trip with about 30 of us) I won't be an embarrassment. At least, not in the fitness way of things. I'm sure I'll be an embarrassment in other ways.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I can handle the calluses and chunks. For me it's when the splits in the dead skin go through to soft sensitive tissue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That poo poo is the worst man

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
IDK if this is really the correct thread but: If boxers train their entire lives to hit people super hard in the face, have extremely powerful punches, etc, why do they not kill each other more often? Any heavyweight fight is between two people who've trained their bodies to the highest ability to punch as hard as they can, and they somehow punch each other a bunch of times in the face, and in the end they're both still alive. How? I'm pretty sure that if one of those people hit a normal person as hard as possible, the normal person would die instantly.

edit: VVV my basis of being so sure is just, imagining getting hit in the face like that myself, and yeah I'd at least get a brain injury. (You're right though. I don't know!)

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 29, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

redreader posted:

IDK if this is really the correct thread but: If boxers train their entire lives to hit people super hard in the face, have extremely powerful punches, etc, why do they not kill each other more often?
It's simply a matter of the body being more durable than that. Serious TBIs do happen. People's skulls get fractured from blows. And there are a couple deaths a year when considering all levels of competition.
But overall, the limits of human biomechanics fall short of frequently killing people with head shots.

quote:

I'm pretty sure that if one of those people hit a normal person as hard as possible, the normal person would die instantly.
What's your basis for being that sure? I'm sure normal people standing and taking a pro's hardest shot would die at a rate 100x of what happens in the ring, but that would still be less than 1%.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it's pretty rare that someone takes a clean punch in a boxing match. Even when they land flush, it's often mitigated a bit by an angle or roll. Power is also lower because you just can't throw as hard against a moving target who might also hit back. As Bruce Lee, of all people, pointed out.

There's quite a few videos of normal people taking a shot from the pros as a stunt. Usually to the body or a leg kick. They're fine* after a few minutes.

*Except that one guy who got his femur cracked taking a leg kick from Forest Griffin.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There's also a limit to how hard someone can swing at a hard-rear end piece of bone with their delicate human hands.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In addition to reasons stated, gear also contributes.

Deaths might not be super common, but injuries, sometimes serious, are far from rare.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Boxers, when KO'd, have access to medical personnel right away. They also have to pass a medical to be allowed to fight in the first place. It's overall a controlled environment.

If you're imagining a street fight or something then you can have unexpected blows by people of different sizes, falling on concrete with help far away. Can be quite deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Count Roland posted:

If you're imagining a street fight or something then you can have unexpected blows by people of different sizes, falling on concrete with help far away. Can be quite deadly.

OP said getting killed instantly from the punch, as in the impact is enough to do that kind of unrecoverable damage to the brain. Not to take away from the horror of TBI and CTE beyond that, but it’s just very Fist of the North Star that you could get the kind of damage you’d see from running a motorbike into a truck. The speed is not quite there, and the mass definitely isn’t.