Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

deimos posted:

Torque test channel has tested all sorts of ratchets hand cranked to 150ft/lbs no problem.

E: Also just read the manual for the 3/8ths fuel and it doesn't say poo poo about hand cranking.

No god nor man can prevent me from cranking my hog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m over here cranking my 3/8 inch

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Pretend you're Soulja boy and crank that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I do my best hand cranking in the garage when nobody is around.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I broke my m12 non-fuel hand cranking something. The part had to get shipped in but I think it was like $20.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

deimos posted:

Torque test channel has tested all sorts of ratchets hand cranked to 150ft/lbs no problem.

E: Also just read the manual for the 3/8ths fuel and it doesn't say poo poo about hand cranking.

Yeah, they changed it for the new(ok couple years old but still) fuel version so you can hand crank all you like.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Automotive Insanity › Tools! - cranking it in the garage

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Holy poo poo I picked up a set of quickjack 5000TL's, and uhh why the gently caress did I wait this long? Because I'm eventually going to make the garage bigger and get a lift, but that's more years away than I want to admit.

Great lift height, and it fixes what I find to be the most annoying part of working on cars - getting them into the air. I have a low profile extended reach jack and still can't get to the center jack point on the miata without driving onto ramps. And then doing the lift the back, lift the front, okay now the back again, now the front again dance to get it safely into the air. Instead, press button, car go up. Press button, car go down.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yup, my quick jack is one of the best things I own. Getting them positioned can be slightly annoying but nowhere near getting jack stands under a car, especially one without a real centralized jacking point for each end of the car.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Has anyone encountered a multiproc welder that does: AC/DC TIG, MIG, and Plasma?

Requirements: TIG aluminum, steel repairs/plasma cuts where I cant easily drag a bottle, e.g. driveway or inside shed, 220V 1-ph (or 115V). HF start for TIG. Foot pedal. Budget is $2K used.

I can find AC/DC TIG + Plasmas and I can find DC TIG/MIG/Plasma, but the AC TIG + MIG + Plasma combo seems to be elusive.

TrueChaos posted:

Holy poo poo I picked up a set of quickjack 5000TL's, and uhh why the gently caress did I wait this long?

Great lift height, and it fixes what I find to be the most annoying part of working on cars - getting them into the air.

TY for posting, I think you talked me into one. My 15yo aluminum HF racing jack is starting to leak just as you posted this. Plus I've definitely used a transmission jack to move heavy stuff up to table height so this seems like an even BETTER way to do that.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 5, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, I don't use it often, but when I do they're great.

Most awkward thing for me is positioning them as I have it near the wall on 1-side. If it wasn't for that it'd be zero problem. I just leave them on the floor all the time.

e: If you're buying one, make sure the length works well with your wheelbase. They're perfect for my 996, but a smidgen shorter than I'd like for the Legacy. But they still work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I hate that I needa 3500lb quickjack for small cars, and a 5000lb set for regular cars that won’t fit between the small car wheels.

What kind of gloves should I be wearing for carb cleaner? Even my thickest nitriles give me that ice cold “solvent leaking into my bones” feeling.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Can't you use the Quick Jack by placing it perpendicularly?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

eddiewalker posted:

I hate that I needa 3500lb quickjack for small cars, and a 5000lb set for regular cars that won’t fit between the small car wheels.

What kind of gloves should I be wearing for carb cleaner? Even my thickest nitriles give me that ice cold “solvent leaking into my bones” feeling.

It’s acetone evaporating. It’s going to feel cold no matter what gloves you wear. That said, butyl rubber or PVA gloves should offer much more protection than nitrile.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

There’s still a limited range of spots to put the lifting blocks. The car’s jack points have to be in like a 15-20” range for each quickjack model.

My exhaust also runs lengthwise below the car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Yes you can, as long as the width fits within the pad adjustment envelope. I've never done it myself as I keep them on the floor but it is an advertised way to use them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eddiewalker posted:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s acetone evaporating. It’s going to feel cold no matter what gloves you wear. That said, butyl rubber or PVA gloves should offer much more protection than nitrile.

Yeah basically you're feeling cold cus the gloves are getting cold, and wicking heat away from your extremities. Maybe try proper chemical handling gloves or even dish gloves.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Someone should invent a quick jack that has four bottle jacks connected by hydraulic lines that can be positioned anywhere*** under the vehicle only limited by the length of the lines themselves with something like a 15 inch stroke (or whatever a quick jack has)

***anywhere being the factory approved jacking points and nowhere else for obvious reasons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Someone should invent a quick jack that has four bottle jacks connected by hydraulic lines that can be positioned anywhere*** under the vehicle only limited by the length of the lines themselves with something like a 15 inch stroke (or whatever a quick jack has)

***anywhere being the factory approved jacking points and nowhere else for obvious reasons.

Quick, somebody with engineering smarts figure out if air over hydraulic bottle jacks would essentially self-equalize if you hooked all 4 air supply lines together and fed it through a manifold.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

With or without one way check valves

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Motronic posted:

Quick, somebody with engineering smarts figure out if air over hydraulic bottle jacks would essentially self-equalize if you hooked all 4 air supply lines together and fed it through a manifold.

There's no guarantee that a puff of air equals the same amount of jack extension for all four parts.

An air driven SCREW jack, on the other hand...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

I wasn't thinking air, but hydraulic should. A couple of the drills I run have jack legs which do exactly that.

Also a hydraulic jack I made does that, but both cylinders are attached to the same pieces of metal.

Perhaps if they are not physically connected by anything but hoses they won't.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought an old POWEREFIST chop saw at auction because it was cheap and it was very loud.

I took it apart and it looks like there was only enough grease in it to keep it quiet the first few times you use it. i cleaned it out and greased it up, but the gear is pretty heavily worn, so it's a "run it till it don't" situation. It's really only loud on rundown now. I might drill and tap a zerk into it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

I wasn't thinking air, but hydraulic should. A couple of the drills I run have jack legs which do exactly that.

Also a hydraulic jack I made does that, but both cylinders are attached to the same pieces of metal.

Perhaps if they are not physically connected by anything but hoses they won't.

A proportioning valve? I think its called that. Splits one hydraulic supply into two equal flows so two cylinders extend the same amount even if loaded differently.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Powershift posted:

I bought an old POWEREFIST chop saw at auction because it was cheap and it was very loud.

I took it apart and it looks like there was only enough grease in it to keep it quiet the first few times you use it. i cleaned it out and greased it up, but the gear is pretty heavily worn, so it's a "run it till it don't" situation. It's really only loud on rundown now. I might drill and tap a zerk into it.

Those teeth have about a millions years of life in em. As long as the drive gear has a ZERK and doesn’t fail you’ll be good.

i honestly just love the word “zerk” more than anything else. It might be my last dying word

e: my love of ZERK might have given you bad advice, but it’s probably your fault for tempting me.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yer such a zerk

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/cc-biography-the-fitting-life-and-times-of-oscar-ulysses-zerk/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

TY for posting, I think you talked me into one. My 15yo aluminum HF racing jack is starting to leak just as you posted this. Plus I've definitely used a transmission jack to move heavy stuff up to table height so this seems like an even BETTER way to do that.

Well, it won't lift things to table height, but it is fantastic regardless. I've done a bunch of poo poo I've been putting off because it's so much easier to get the car in the air.

I'm storing them underneath the car, just drive over em and pull into position.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have any thermal camera recommendations? There's a lot of problems I think they might be useful in helping figure out where things are behind the walls, and unfortunately I loaned out my old flir one and never quite got that one back.

I wasn't sure whether I should stick with the flir one and get a pro, or try the Seek Pro with more resolution (even though it runs off the phone battery/camera), or just get a dedicated unit that won't be obsoleted in three years. Any thoughts?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Catatron Prime posted:

Anyone have any thermal camera recommendations? There's a lot of problems I think they might be useful in helping figure out where things are behind the walls, and unfortunately I loaned out my old flir one and never quite got that one back.

I wasn't sure whether I should stick with the flir one and get a pro, or try the Seek Pro with more resolution (even though it runs off the phone battery/camera), or just get a dedicated unit that won't be obsoleted in three years. Any thoughts?

I've used a seek pro and flit e5, but really like my Vevor unit. Decent resolution, high fps, standalone. its a 240x180 infiniray unit. Real downside is the bulgy face makes it hard to hold lenses in front of it fir macro work. price was decent a year ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got one of these, I'm quite happy with it, I like it way more than my seek.

https://www.amazon.ca/HIKMICRO-Resolution-Measurement-4%C2%B0F-1022%C2%B0F-Temperature/dp/B09FTFHTPR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Catatron Prime posted:

I got the Infiray P2 with the macro lens under $200 on sale. It's pretty high resolution and framerate considering the price (256x192 at 25fps) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003854753183.html

You can skip the macro if you won't need any closeups of like PCBs and stuff. The USB form-factor works pretty well for me but if you prefer they put the same guts into a standalone unit too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've got the original Flir One on an iphone 5, it's obsolete and still does all the cool FLIR things. So I'd have to say, there's no bad choice with infrared cameras at this point.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks everyone, this all is tremendously helpful!

Commodore_64 posted:

I've used a seek pro and flit e5, but really like my Vevor unit. Decent resolution, high fps, standalone. its a 240x180 infiniray unit. Real downside is the bulgy face makes it hard to hold lenses in front of it fir macro work. price was decent a year ago.

Oh this is perfect, thanks!! Water/drop resistant, standalone, good resolution, and 250 out the door is the perfect fuckit price point--just placed an order for one!

mobby_6kl posted:

You can skip the macro if you won't need any closeups of like PCBs and stuff. The USB form-factor works pretty well for me but if you prefer they put the same guts into a standalone unit too.

I hadn't even thought about using thermal for troubleshooting pcbs! That's a fantastically useful idea, I can't wait to see what my soldering looks like under thermal, and whether the heatsink clips I've been using are actually useful or just interfere with the joint heating up

meatpimp posted:

I've got the original Flir One on an iphone 5, it's obsolete and still does all the cool FLIR things. So I'd have to say, there's no bad choice with infrared cameras at this point.

Thanks! That's good to know it's still useful... I'm just so wary of anything that requires an app to function, but just pairing it with an old dedicated phone is a solid idea. I'm curious whether Apple switching to USB-C connectors will mean a bunch of these things go on sale in a year or two, but at least for me it's a reason to not buy any more lightning peripherals since I'm due for a device upgrade in the next year or so anyways.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I’ve been real happy with my hkmicro flir too, it’s compared well to the Flir e6 we have at work (lower res but higher refresh and I think I prefer the higher refresh rate).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Does anyone have any experience with an integrated FLIR equipped smartphone? Last time I was phone shopping a Caterpillar-branded phone with FLIR came up, but I disregarded it for some reason I forget, maybe it was the screen that was shittier than I wanted or something. I like the idea of a ruggedized phone with as many useful tool-like features as possible. Anyways I went with a motorola phone in a bumper case again since I'm totally hooked on the MotoGestures feature that lets me toggle the flashlight by shaking the phone, it's probably the app I use the most in daily life and not having to unlock the phone and use the screen for turning on the light it is just killer. Having an inclinometer that's good enough for most jobs is nice, I use the magnifying glass app at times, and it's great to have a calculator that's always available (you were wrong, grade school math teacher!) but I guess all smartphones can do those things.

My own FLIR experience is limited to battle tank sights in my youth and a camera we have at work for teaching physics to kids, which I've borrowed twice to assess house insulation and also locate radiant floor heating runs. It would be a neat capability to always carry around, I'm sure I would find lots of more uses for it if it was always available.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I looked at the CAT phones and they seemed way overpriced for obsolete hardware, I'd be more worried about the coatings on an IR lens getting damaged from being in a pocket.

I remember being in the parking lot on break and a guy borrowed a laser thermometer to figure out what cylinder was misfiring, brought out the camera and in less than a second you could tell what pipe on the manifold was colder than the rest.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Seems like there's quite a selection of FLIR equipped android phones with brands I've never heard of, some of them with way more impressive hardware than the CAT. Super annoying narrator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NSGTcYE8lU
Maybe next time I need a new phone I'll give something like one of those a try.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I have a CAT s62 with Flir camera. I have little smartphone experience so I can't say how it compares to an i phone whatever the gently caress or anything else for that matter. My last phone was a cat S41(?) and before that a Samsung Rugby flip phone.

There is a "programmable" button on the side that you can use for the flashlight. Just hit the button twice quickly and it will turn that poo poo on. I haven't had too many issues with it turning on in my pocket, but every now and then it does happen. Battery life seems low (2 days for me), but maybe thats a smartphone thing in genereal, but the S42 has a longer life battery. This is supposed to be Cat's top of the line phone, they should probably put the best/highest capacity battery in it, but what the gently caress do I know?

Itsdefinitely rugged, I use it on my own job sites and though I'm not clumsy, its gotten dropped, stepped on, covered with dirt and other poo poo I've taped it to a long measuring tape and lowered it down 20+ foot deep holes to take videos and submerged it in ground water occasionally. Its dust proof, water proof. I wash it with soap and water regularly to keep it clean.

I don't use the flir camera that much, mainly for checking out farts and stuff. It seems to be pretty highly rated compared to others from what I remember. I think when I was reading reviews on the phone people were talking about how the flir camera was the best integrated one in a smart phone or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't use the flir camera that much, mainly for checking out farts and stuff.

I found a thread title