Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It's really funny that once you know how to avoid it Scarlet Aeonia becomes a huge relief to see, like oh you're gonna use your signature attack? let me just set up this lawn chair and relax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

No Dignity posted:

That said it is very funny that her ultimate soul destroying 'I didn't want to use this power, but I have no choice but to go all out' technique is like nothing compared to her regular sword skills

"Behold, my final form!"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
nice rot-cursed blooming sis, i just shoot lasers of primeval madness out of my eyes cuz I'm goofy

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

You should reconsider this policy. Elden Ring has tons of replay value.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be fun to run back through (and much more quickly) knowing where everything is and trying a different build. I play games pretty slow because I like exploring and taking everything in. I’m at 120hr and guessing that’s pretty high, especially for not even being finished yet. It just comes down to the standard middle age opportunity cost of less time and lots of games I want to get to.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I recommend one gimmick playthrough. As a treat. It can be fun to rp as a character from another IP who's wildly out of place.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m at 120hr and guessing that’s pretty high, especially for not even being finished yet.

For a first playthrough where you're trying to see and do as much as you can? Nah, that's well within normal ranges. In future runs you'll have a better idea of what places don't have anything you need, how to beeline the things you do need or are generally broken early (like Radagon's Soreseal), strats that work against bosses, etc., and it will be more like 25-30 hrs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

War Wizard posted:

I recommend one gimmick playthrough. As a treat. It can be fun to rp as a character from another IP who's wildly out of place.

TMNT playthrough. You have to wear the turtle shield on your back at all times. You can only use katanas, flails, the parrying dagger, and sorcery staves (but no sorceries).

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

No Dignity posted:

That said it is very funny that her ultimate soul destroying 'I didn't want to use this power, but I have no choice but to go all out' technique is like nothing compared to her regular sword skills

The true flower power only becomes apparent in co-op, where like 50% of runs end immediately in phase 2 as the host gets obliterated by scarlet aeonia.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arcvasti posted:

The true flower power only becomes apparent in co-op, where like 50% of runs end immediately in phase 2 as the host gets obliterated by scarlet aeonia.

Vigor Check

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

It's really funny that once you know how to avoid it Scarlet Aeonia becomes a huge relief to see, like oh you're gonna use your signature attack? let me just set up this lawn chair and relax

Scarlet Aeonia was a godsend for my Arcane character. Was the perfect moment for a dragon's breath.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

A good trick for when she uses Scarlet Aeonia is to pull out the pulley crossbow and shoot bleed bolts at her. Most builds can do it, and you'll always proc the bleed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

CommonShore posted:

Great stars with lion's claw + heavy shield = win on first attempt.

:hmmyes: I can’t believe I found this out organically. No guide never told me, as they always promoted a different weapon. Just got the great stars one day after discovering how much better a regular mace was vs. a long sword and went to town.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Played a little bit of my bow only run so far, and the hardest part of the beginning has actually just been getting arrows. Once you get past the initial hump it's fine, but that starting quiver of 30 goes wayy quicker than I expected.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Just beat Morgott on the first try. Great Stars plus wild strikes. Lasted about 30 seconds.

I got got by those stupid hands underground worse than this fight.

Anyway, so how about those Golden Order spells? I was doing some of Goldmask and just sold that book to get all the neat ones. Are they worth it?

edit: this was supposed to be a 2 phase fight? I never saw phase 2. Straight up procc'd bloodloss and frost on him and he melted.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 26, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

discus of light has one of the best damage-to-FP ratios in the game if you can get it to double hit consistently, and triple rings of light is decent for fighting groups if casting wrath of gold is too risky or too FP intensive. not much worthwhile other than that aside from law of regression, which is used to access a secret, but the two aforementioned spells are your best bread-and-butter casts if you want to do a holy build

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

Played a little bit of my bow only run so far, and the hardest part of the beginning has actually just been getting arrows. Once you get past the initial hump it's fine, but that starting quiver of 30 goes wayy quicker than I expected.

If you plan on using greatbows you can get the recipe for bone greatarrows from the merchant under the church just before the grand lift. It'll save you a bunch of runes and you can buy any bones you need by defeating the bell bearing hunter at.. I think the warmaster's shack, or maybe the one with dog Pope.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

If you’re reading this thread, you might be interested in watching the [url= https://bingobrawlers.com/]Bingo Brawlers competitions[/url] on Twitch.

They’re two hour timed matches where two players go head-to-head trying to fill in an Elden Ring bingo card. Squares include things like “get 10 sacred flask charges”, “kill a magma wyrm”, “kill 4 bosses with ‘tree’ in the name”, “restore x’s great rune”, etc.

What makes it extra interesting is that it’s a lockout bingo, so once one person gets a square, the other person can’t get it. It leads to lots of cool situations like strategically blocking the other person, or racing for an important square. With the lockout and how the players don’t know what each other are doing there’s also a lot of mind games and trying to puzzle out what the other person is working on and adapting your strategy on the fly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brain In A Jar posted:

If you’re reading this thread, you might be interested in watching the [url= https://bingobrawlers.com/]Bingo Brawlers competitions[/url] on Twitch.

They’re two hour timed matches where two players go head-to-head trying to fill in an Elden Ring bingo card. Squares include things like “get 10 sacred flask charges”, “kill a magma wyrm”, “kill 4 bosses with ‘tree’ in the name”, “restore x’s great rune”, etc.

What makes it extra interesting is that it’s a lockout bingo, so once one person gets a square, the other person can’t get it. It leads to lots of cool situations like strategically blocking the other person, or racing for an important square. With the lockout and how the players don’t know what each other are doing there’s also a lot of mind games and trying to puzzle out what the other person is working on and adapting your strategy on the fly.

agreed this is fun to watch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Brain In A Jar posted:

Hell yeah, I've wanted something like this for a long time. Normal speedruns of the game are pretty boring because the critical path is so short, but something like a scavenger hunt is awesome.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Greatbows aren't great at pve in general, but if you insist on using them, know that performing a jump then holding aim mid-air lets you cut out most of the start-up draw animation on greatbows. Very handy if you want to shoot someone running away on a bridge.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vermain posted:

discus of light has one of the best damage-to-FP ratios in the game if you can get it to double hit consistently, and triple rings of light is decent for fighting groups if casting wrath of gold is too risky or too FP intensive. not much worthwhile other than that aside from law of regression, which is used to access a secret, but the two aforementioned spells are your best bread-and-butter casts if you want to do a holy build

To clarify this, it's ranked so highly because it costs just 3 FP to cast, meaning you can literally just sit there and spam it and never stop. On my pure faith guy it was 5 or 6 levels in INT I used for literally nothing else but it was still worth it all the way to the end. Also the casting animation is really silly but also good for casting it behind cover but don't ever rely on this working on whatever cover you had in mind

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

yeah discus gets pretty ridiculous, when you stack the buffs you get from the gold mask and golden order seal you can even shred massively holy resistant enemies like the end bosses

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'd like to try playing with heavy attacks more, are there any weapons with particularly good R2s (modified movesets through warcry etc are fine)? My personal favourite at the moment is the standard curved GS R2 which is pretty drat fast and covers a huge area in front of you as well as having a nice step forward to help you keep enemies in range, but with about 10 billion weapons in this game I'm sure I've overlooked some great options especially with the movesets you unlock via using AoWs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Greatbows aren't great at pve in general, but if you insist on using them, know that performing a jump then holding aim mid-air lets you cut out most of the start-up draw animation on greatbows. Very handy if you want to shoot someone running away on a bridge.

Greatbows stagger all but the biggest most sturdy bosses, so it's possible just to hold the shot and release right as the boss tries to attack you, and that'll interrupt the attack. It's kinda stupid and funny.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

RabidWeasel posted:

I'd like to try playing with heavy attacks more, are there any weapons with particularly good R2s (modified movesets through warcry etc are fine)? My personal favourite at the moment is the standard curved GS R2 which is pretty drat fast and covers a huge area in front of you as well as having a nice step forward to help you keep enemies in range, but with about 10 billion weapons in this game I'm sure I've overlooked some great options especially with the movesets you unlock via using AoWs

Zweihander and claymore are worth a look for their long poke R2s that can be boosted with the spear talisman.

Warhawk’s talon and erdsteel dagger both have cool two-hit step forward R2s that can benefit from multi-hit buffs.

All standard greatsword R2s have a nice step forward now that can be pretty effective.

And of course there’s the frozen needle, wing of astel, and dark moon greatsword for projectile R2s.

E: There’s also the barbaric roar R2 on the pike/other spear, which is not good, but is very funny.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 26, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

the iron cleaver is fun, it runs you forward which lets you charge it up in a safe position

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the iron cleaver is fun, it runs you forward which lets you charge it up in a safe position

I did try this when I got one as a random drop but I hate the rest of the moveset unfortunately. I've been testing some things and war cry boosted halberd charged R2 seems to have a similar lunging attack while being attached to a weapon I much prefer using, so I might try that out for a while. With the roar talisman it hits pretty hard.

Esme posted:

Zweihander and claymore are worth a look for their long poke R2s that can be boosted with the spear talisman.

Claymore R2 was my go to for ages after I found it but the weapon itself seems to have somewhat weak scaling and I also don't like the 2h moveset much other than the poke. Though it is another weapon where I used the R2 a lot.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The R2 on both versions of fist weapons is amazing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Giant Crusher is cool.

Flippity flop, give you a bonk!

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Omen cleaver has a unique fast overhead smash, shared with the wyrmscale sword and the enemies in dark souls 3 that carry cages on their back. Does a lot of poise damage and is infusible!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm a huge fan of dual Dismounters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did it. Beat Elden Ring on NG+5, which gave me all endings one character. There was no secret achievement or anything :( So many respecs and builds along the way. the final one to take down Radabeast was jumping dual great stars.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

rogier’s rapier r2 comes out ridiculously fast uncharged and is multi-hit. ime its one of the best light stancebreak moves in the game

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Played Sekiro for a bit, but gradually realized that I would rather just replay Elden ring.
Back to the second run with the wretch.

I am happy to report that I beat the very first watchdog on my first try, with no equipment and just my trusty club. Feels good. I remember that boss was super tough as a first time souls/ER player.

Going to aim for a faith run and will also try weapon arts I haven’t used before. Stamp upward cut is actually kinda good?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Played Sekiro for a bit, but gradually realized that I would rather just replay Elden ring.
Back to the second run with the wretch.

I am happy to report that I beat the very first watchdog on my first try, with no equipment and just my trusty club. Feels good. I remember that boss was super tough as a first time souls/ER player.

Going to aim for a faith run and will also try weapon arts I haven’t used before. Stamp upward cut is actually kinda good?

Yeah it's pretty great, I think it gets a bad rep because it's a default skill for a lot of weapons and most people will hit just L2 and wonder where the upward cut is. Like a worse Giant Hunt only it's a lot cheaper and you get a free endure.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Hell yeah, godskin duo down in 3 thanks to my mimic tear, great star +19 and 3 sleep pots.

To treat myself/calm down I went and nuked Rykard

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

God, the Misbegotten Bow sucks rear end, but I love it because a strength-based short bow is loving rad. Making it my current main weapon in my bow-only run, and then throwing in Greatbows here and there once I feel like leveling my strength a little more.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Cold infused Great Stars gets to keep the bleed trait :eyepop: I think this is the most powerful build I've done.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

Hell yeah, godskin duo down in 3 thanks to my mimic tear, great star +19 and 3 sleep pots.

To treat myself/calm down I went and nuked Rykard

I need to kill Rykard. I briefly did some Manor clearing but not the Hunting. I killed Morgott and when his cutscene showed Rykard’s chair I remembered I needed to still kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Try not to live your life in such a way that when someone sees your throne after vanquishing their foe they remember they need to kill you.