Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just picked up this immaculately preserved 90's boomer steed for commuting duty, it literally sat in a garage for the past two decades. The paint is perfect.

Cromo, made in the USA :patriot:

About a million things to do before it's getting ridden anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I just picked up this immaculately preserved 90's boomer steed for commuting duty, it literally sat in a garage for the past two decades. The paint is perfect.

What a bike. Gonna keep it with those bars or switch to something more fun?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll stick with the flat bar, it'll be replacing my existing commuter which is a 26" MTB of the same era with a Nexus 7 hub. That would still be fine except I'm doing a 20km commute once a week now, so I need something more efficient. I'm going to change the wheels, seat, grips and that's basically it. Bars need to be lower though, the ergos in that picture are still exactly as I bought it so all hosed up and boomery.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Paul Proteus posted:

First time buying a new bike in 10 years. Upgrading from a BMC Race Master to this. I was going to wait for the Supersix 2 with the tacky green paintjob but got a deal I couldn't turn down. The iridescence is better in person.

:swoon:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

My dad has a Giant Chinook thats been hanging in his garage for decades. Been tempted to make it a project bike.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

First time buying a new bike in 10 years. Upgrading from a BMC Race Master to this. I was going to wait for the Supersix 2 with the tacky green paintjob but got a deal I couldn't turn down. The iridescence is better in person.

such a cool paintjob

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Paul Proteus posted:

Now cut that steerer down bby

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
After scavenging a bunch of parts off my other mtb just to ride the frame and see how it rode, the last of the parts finally came today so it’s officially new bike day.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Big windy lake visit and then a bunch of industrial gravel exploration/trespassing.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I also rode my All-Road today

The Peri-Motos make a really good, loud "Zweeeeep!" noise when you skid on wet pavement

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

did a ride, bike needed a break

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Changed a bunch of stuff:

Still need to do a few things like grips, nicer stem and bar, adjust the seat

Bike absolutely rules though

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Oh dang that's a tasteful change. Me like.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Changed a bunch of stuff:

Still need to do a few things like grips, nicer stem and bar, adjust the seat

Bike absolutely rules though

That's a good bike.

What do you mean nicer stem? Newer shinier quill stem or quill stem adapter to play with threadless stems?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A shinier, not-beaten-up quill stem + a slightly differently shaped bar are on the way, the ones on there are a close approximation just for now cause I couldn't handle the super high and close original setup

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
brand new Surly Straggler :toot:

I kinda wish I'd gotten the blue one, but have had bad luck buying colorful stuff without seeing the color in person first (I'm picky), so went with this instead. I do want to add some color to it. I'm thinking about buying some decals that add like colorful stripes and accents - are there any places that specialize in, say, decals sized to fit chainstays or seatposts?

I'd also like to get some colorful bags, but unsurprisingly most bikepacking stuff is pretty muted. Topo Designs makes some very bright colorful stuff but only for a relatively small handlebar bag and small frame bag, and I was thinking of getting like a half-frame bag or a large handlebar bag.

Also kinda wish the bell didn't look so out of place; they're legally required in NYC so I just got whatever they had in the store when I picked it up and I kinda wish I'd just risked the extremely unlikely chance of getting a ticket on the ride home and then gotten something else online. I'm probably gonna go back to the shop in a few weeks to get the fit adjusted, so might have them remove the bell while I'm there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

brand new Surly Straggler :toot:

I'd also like to get some colorful bags, but unsurprisingly most bikepacking stuff is pretty muted. Topo Designs makes some very bright colorful stuff but only for a relatively small handlebar bag and small frame bag, and I was thinking of getting like a half-frame bag or a large handlebar bag.

For the bags, Oveja Negra wack pack stuff might fit the bill. https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/wack-pack-color-collection

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 30, 2023

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

abraham linksys posted:

Also kinda wish the bell didn't look so out of place; they're legally required in NYC so I just got whatever they had in the store when I picked it up and I kinda wish I'd just risked the extremely unlikely chance of getting a ticket on the ride home and then gotten something else online. I'm probably gonna go back to the shop in a few weeks to get the fit adjusted, so might have them remove the bell while I'm there.

Steerer bells are the best :colbert: I put one on each of my bikes.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah the bell doesn't look out of place at all imo

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sweat poteto posted:

Steerer bells are the best :colbert: I put one on each of my bikes.

:agreed:

I have a Tortle :v

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Oveja Negra has already been mentioned, but Fish Ski designs also does great colorful stuff as well if you’re willing to wait for a drop. His handlebar bags that convert to a fanny packs are great if you want a commuter pack that you don’t have to leave on the bike to tempt thieves.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Little cross check number. Old and beat up enough that it shan’t be stolen but rides fine suits my needs.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Little cross check number. Old and beat up enough that it shan’t be stolen but rides fine suits my needs.

Love it! That's rad as hell

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got a sticker

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
And the little ripmo number all purpled out looking Halloween on the haters

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

NBD: Ibis Ripley XT

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
Finally getting out on the bike, just in time for it to get cold.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of luggage rack is that? I'm trying to find one that doesn't cost a million bucks but also doesn't look like arse

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hastily snapped a pic on the last day of summer here in Boston.

I’ve wanted the GT Grade for a long time. When a second gen finally popped up on eBay, I snatched it up. I got lazy about swapping the Ekar groupset onto it, but finally did it in time for fall. Here, the bike looks a lot shorter reach than it feels, like it’s hunched up.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

This is my LHT. I had it painted red before assembly, and the bike shop nicknamed it the Long Haul Firetrucker. Pretty cool dad bike.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Hastily snapped a pic on the last day of summer here in Boston.

I’ve wanted the GT Grade for a long time. When a second gen finally popped up on eBay, I snatched it up. I got lazy about swapping the Ekar groupset onto it, but finally did it in time for fall. Here, the bike looks a lot shorter reach than it feels, like it’s hunched up.
what a rad looking thing!

Dirac Fourier posted:

This is my LHT. I had it painted red before assembly, and the bike shop nicknamed it the Long Haul Firetrucker. Pretty cool dad bike.
with a polished rack it would be :perfect:

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

evil_bunnY posted:

what a rad looking thing!

with a polished rack it would be :perfect:

drat that's a great idea. I want to get some fenders too, but I can't ever decide if I should get chrome or cherry wood.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

Slavvy posted:

What kind of luggage rack is that? I'm trying to find one that doesn't cost a million bucks but also doesn't look like arse

It's a Bontrager one, I'm happy with it, very solid.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
finally riding the summer project bike, you'll see me before I see you

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Children of the Corn

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Here's my wife's new (not elictric) bike. The color is really nice, and it had some nicer mech than my road bike.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you know what i mean!!

here's a bike in its natural state, beholden to no rules

It's not in it's natural habitat, or even a worthy glamour shot, but I just have to say I find your taste in color schemes magnificent.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Merkin Muffley posted:

It's not in it's natural habitat, or even a worthy glamour shot, but I just have to say I find your taste in color schemes magnificent.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

:hfive:

Although my pedals are purple.