Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Our boy Etienne really likes preaching from his silly little hill doesn't he?

Looks like my best move is 0819. Lets me shoot the Wolverine's rear (on 11s but a rear shot is a rear shot), and with the +3 move mod and intervening woods makes it impossible for the Griffin to shoot me (13 to hit if I'm reading correctly).

If you're not skylining yourself with a ppc and/or lrms are you really playing MWO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Amechwarrior posted:

Comedy Option:

Fists of Fury -

SHD - DFA the Commando
GLD - DFA the HBK or jump behind and dual punch
WVR - DFA the retreating Hornet, no mercy.

*Don't do this, this is not financial advice

I'd love to DFA the Commando, but I'm not in a good position to, I don't think. And I'd wind up next to a Hunchback, and in the sights of that damned Griffen.

I think I should turn around, help sweep that bloody stupid Wolverine off the board ("And stay down!"), and then think about comedy options.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
As hilarious as it would be if the Gladiator jumped behind the Hunchback, punched it with one arm, and then blasted it with the SRM 6 in the other, it's probably a better idea to back off and cool off for now.

Although you could try doing that to the enemy Wolverine instead. Jump behind it and fire the SRM 6. I think it would let you cool off just enough to not have any heat penalties next turn.

In reality, though, this is probably a turn for cooling off and repositioning. There are plenty of hills for us to hide behind, and the Treb and Gladiator can get behind the Wolverine. The Shadow Hawk can't, but running into the middle distance and turning around to shoot it would probably work fine. It's longest range weapon is only an AC/5

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I'm standing at 2214, would the hunchback have LOS on me?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah the +1 move mod on the COM is tempting but it's too exposed to go after it, might as well just bully the wolverine

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

If I'm standing at 2214, would the hunchback have LOS on me?

I can confirm that the Hunchback does not have LOS to 2214.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Thinking of jumping behind the Hunchback and letting em have it with everything.

Thoughts?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Gladiator

Thinking of jumping behind the Hunchback and letting em have it with everything.

Thoughts?

Bad idea, considering your current heat level.

Firing everything after jumping 5 hexes would leave you at 20 heat after sinking. You'd be rolling a 6+ to avoid shutdown (potentially a 4+ as well, I don't know if they stack), a 4+ to avoid an ammo explosion, and next turn your ground movement would be 1/2 and your shots would have a +3 penalty. Heat attrition is brutal before double heat sinks get reintroduced.

I'd personally back up (walking) to 1621 and take a shot at the Wolverine with the PPC. You'll still have a movement penalty but it'll get rid of the +1 hit roll next turn. Alternatively, make like the other goon suggested. Jump to 1119, SRM it and punch it.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 27, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Z the IVth posted:

Gladiator

Thoughts?

Yeah, that's a terrible idea just because overheating a mech starts with a movement penalty and ends with a very large chance of just exploding.

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd personally back up (walking) to 1621 and take a shot at the Wolverine with the PPC. You'll still have a movement penalty but it'll get rid of the +1 hit roll next turn. Alternatively, make like the other goon suggested. Jump to 1119, SRM it and punch it.

Backing up and shooting the Wolverine is probably the responsible thing to do. You'll take a powerful but slightly inaccurate potshot at an enemy and shave a bit of heat off your unit. You could also just not shoot and completely remove all your heat.

But if you really want to do something risky, I still recommend jumping behind the Hunchback and using the SRM and a punch. It's rear armor is thin enough that you might get lucky and crack it. And while you'll be in the sights of both the Griffin and the Commando (if it torso twists) you will have great evasion

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The Commando is really vulnerable, but also well protected by it's allies.

If you all want to go after the Wolverine, try to keep to the hexes adjacent to the lvl2-3 hills. The GRF is at lvl3 and can see over the lvl2 unless you're right up against it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Orders in - walking to 1621 and shooting the Wolverine.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just gonna leave this here.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Someone jumped into the scrum didn't they.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Some say a picture is worth a thousand words. I say this one is worth three points of head structure. :unsmigghh:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Good thing this is a simulation and not a live-fire exercise, otherwise the Fusiliers would have to hose out a couple of their mechs :gibs:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Could have been one of ours!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 7

Yukiko’s stomach lurched as she swung her Shadow Hawk around. A whirling jet of soot and vaporised soil fountained out behind her as she ignited her jump jets, using the added thrust to execute a rocket-assisted volte-face. It was a dangerous manoeuvre, placing huge g-forces on the mechwarrior and stressing the mech’s chassis beyond its normal tolerances, but if performed correctly it allowed the pilot to instantly turn to meet an incoming threat.

The danger in this case was the Fusilier Wolverine. The battered heavy scout was a sorry sight. A steady stream of coolant bled from its shattered right side, and its right leg had been reduced to a few exposed pistons and sinewy myomers. As Yukiko completed her turn a PPC blast from Charles’s Gladiator stripped most of the armour from its left arm, leaving it withered and skeletal. Nevertheless, the mech was still deadly. Its guns were intact, and its pilot still had the will to fight. As long as those two facts were true, the Wolverine – and indeed any other battlemech – would remain an unignorable threat.

The Wolverine paused, its pilot clearly surprised by the suddenness of Yukiko’s turn. Yukiko seized the moment and charged, driving her Shadow Hawk towards the Fusilier mech. She kept her jump jets on full throttle, firing them laterally to give herself an extra burst of speed. A billowing cloak of fire and dust followed in her wake as she bulldozed her way towards her target, leaving an enormous groove of displaced soil behind her. Belatedly, the Wolverine levelled its guns at her and opened fire. Impacts thudded into the Shadow Hawk’s frontal armour, but none had the stopping power to halt Yukiko’s charge.

Lightning coursed through Yukiko’s nerves as she closed to point blank range. Her Shadow Hawk moved flawlessly, responding instantly to her slightest touch. She fired her PPC, knowing it would miss but anticipating that her inexperienced opponent would flinch away from a point-blank discharge. Sure enough, the Wolverine’s actuators locked up, and in that moment of stillness Yukiko brought her Shadow Hawk’s left hand down on the Fusilier mech’s head. Ceramite and transplex shattered as the cockpit burst under the savage impact, its already weakened armour unable to withstand the crushing force of the Shadow Hawk’s battle fist.

A sudden dizziness threatened to overtake Yukiko as her senses returned to normal. She throttled down her jump jets and used the Wolverine’s corpse to steady her balance. When she raised her Shadow Hawk’s hand there was nothing left except a concave depression between the mech’s shoulders. It was a triumph, but still greater was the feeling she had just experienced. For a fleeting instant, she had achieved mushin, the perfect state of oneness that only a true samurai could attain. Even though it was only a simulation, the realisation was almost enough to bring her to tears.

“One more Mechwarrior has been eliminated. Fusiliers, you now have three mechs left.” Gudrun announced coolly.

“You scum!” Etienne growled over the comms. “I saw what you did to Jean-Paul just now. Such a dishonourable trick-”

“All is fair in love and war, your lordship,” Alexander chipped in. Then he added, under his breath but loudly enough for the comms to pick it up, “Not that you’d know anything about either, you inbred little poo poo.”

“What did you say, scum?!” Etienne raged, his microphone peaking violently. “Mercenary trash! Your mother shat you out in a loving outhouse, you worthless-"

“Don’t listen to them, Etienne." A new, female voice interrupted. "They’re trying to goad you into doing something stupid. Scramble their comms and don’t respond.”

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 12: Hits Left Arm! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Left Arm, 6/16 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 13, rolls 10: Automatic Miss!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 12, rolls 10: Misses!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: 4 Missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 4 damage to Right Arm, 4/16 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 12, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits Left Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 13/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: 4 Missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (7/18 Armour remaining), Centre Torso (21/23 Armour remaining), Left Torso (11/18 Armour remaining) and Left Arm (14/16 Armour remaining).

Physical attacks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player):
-Punches Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) with Left Arm; needs 10, rolls 10: Hits Head! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 6 damage to Head, 0/8 Armour, 0/3 Structure remaining. Head Destroyed! Mech Destroyed!
-Punches Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) with Right Arm; needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!

--

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Punches Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) with Left Arm; needs 9, rolls 2: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 6 heat. Overheating!

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 19 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 8 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (1/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Wednesday 4th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 1, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

And stay down!

Now for that Commando...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
A palpable hit. Well done Shadow Hawk.

Gladiator

Moving to 1516. Shooting the Griffin if I have LOS otherwise chilling.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just a minor nitpick, in the melee phase you noted the head structure as having 8 points instead of 3. I only noticed that because i was wracking my brain how 6 damage went through 16 points. :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

He really did just stand there and do nothing, huh. Does shattered morale count for kills? :v:

Going to about-face and move to engage the Commando next turn. I'll let the rest of the lance punish their poor move mods.

Z the IVth posted:

A palpable hit. Well done Shadow Hawk.

Gladiator

Moving to 1516. Shooting the Griffin if I have LOS otherwise chilling.

You're still 4/6 due to heat, if you meant 1616 you might have a shot on the Griffin due to it being on a hill, while keeping the Hunchback blocked.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 30, 2023

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

It seems he's the sort to cast blame and not see his lance getting picked apart around him as a failure of leadership! If he stays up there maybe someone needs to DFA him off the perch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh, that was lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
On one hand the Griffin is really vulnerable and I would love to just bury him in fire. But I also kinda want to save him for last so we can take our time picking them apart.

The Hunchback is very dangerous at close range but much less so at long range, so keep that in mind and keep your move mods up. The Commando is in a bit of a bad spot I think.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

badass

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Epic! That's some of my fave writing from any BT action thread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Starting to think this nobleman's son isn't so great

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

Just a minor nitpick, in the melee phase you noted the head structure as having 8 points instead of 3. I only noticed that because i was wracking my brain how 6 damage went through 16 points. :v:

Thanks, I've fixed it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I think it's time for the SHD and TBT to hang back a little and let the WVR and GLD take point. Both the WVR & GLD are basically fresh.

The enemy GRF is useless at close ranges, start cracking the HBK and moving in so Sable Lance can dominate in close.

The COM is nimble right now, but must turn twice to get into a good firing position next turn, if it turns a 3rd time it could just end up with a +2. So I'd pass on the COM for now and get in position to have the SHD and TBT hide around 1216 and jump the HBK (hopefully rear arc) next turn. This takes the pain off the beat up units. Our WVR could jump close for 5 and try to get as far through the ditch as possible and draw fire. GLD can also hug the hill and cool off for next turn when everyone can gang the HBK.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 1, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can I get a range check to the hunchback if I'm standing at 1915?

I like the idea of leaving Etienne for last and literally just beating him to death when he can't shoot back point blank

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I like the idea of leaving Etienne for last and literally just beating him to death when he can't shoot back point blank

If he stays perched on these hilltops, one of you is going to have to DFA him down for lols. I also love how Sable is two-for-two on enemy pilot kills. Keep it up! If they complain (more than the little prince is currently), just say it's what the Taurians would do.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Can I get a range check to the hunchback if I'm standing at 1915?

Moving to 1915 will leave you nine hexes away from the Hunchback, meaning it will be firing at long range with its Medium Lasers and medium range with its AC/10.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

If I'm at 1316, would I have LoS to the Commando, but be hidden from the Hunchback and Dickhead?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm going to shoot at the Commando either way. I can get back behind the hill I've been dancing around for most of the game, and while we're both rolling 11s to hit, he is far more prone to exploding from a lucky hit than I am at this point.

painedforever posted:

If I'm at 1316, would I have LoS to the Commando, but be hidden from the Hunchback and Dickhead?

If you mean 1216, I believe you'd be hidden. The hill to your north is the same height as your mech, so even with the Griffin standing on its perch it wouldn't be able to see you.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 1, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I did mean 1216, thank you. I'm having trouble reading the grid numbers.

More evidence of the degradation of this post-Star League Era. In the good old days, they could've fixed my eyes...

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ah yes, those Battlefists on the Shadow Hawk doing what they do best, punching people in the face!

Getting a bit low on armor on the RT though, might be good to start tossing that ammo bin.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This is more a suggestion for the campaign as a whole, but I highly recommend we put as much focus on training up Jenna's skills as the campaign progresses. The WVR-6M is probably one of the most effective Introtech mediums, and her pilot trait negates its only downside. With clever use of terrain and a decent amount of luck that thing can solo entire lances.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 1, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

painedforever posted:

I did mean 1216, thank you. I'm having trouble reading the grid numbers.

More evidence of the degradation of this post-Star League Era. In the good old days, they could've fixed my eyes...

When in doubt, check the top or bottom edge of the board. its a lot easier to see if relevant hex # is at the top or bottom of the hex.

(its at the top fyi).

Had to do this the other day, figured i'd pass it along.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Koorisch posted:

Getting a bit low on armor on the RT though, might be good to start tossing that ammo bin.

Dumping ammo is usually a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wolverine

I'm thinking I should jump to 2209, take a pot shot at the griffin and hopefully be able to set up a decent flanking attack next turn