Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

it looks like neurons firing, makes u think namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Too Many Birds posted:

they still posted and it was called hieroglyphics you fuckin' uneducated swine

the circle is closing :pigsballs:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Morbus posted:

turns out animals are dumb as poo poo and feed you for a long time op

for sure learning how to throw a rock was the ICBM of those days, can you imagine some trash tier lookin apes showing up and bam they got spears!?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus was a good book

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Eason the Fifth posted:

it would probably suck real bad ngl

read the carrier bag theory of fiction

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Just a Moron posted:

In a hunter gatherer society without modern healthcare I likely would've been left in the forest to die after birth.

Not too bad of a trade off all things considered

I love western myths

No way the societies with 15 hour work weeks could have cared for the disabled and had accommodations.

Nope, only our brilliant extract model that euthanizes and developed eugenics cared for the disabled.

Keep chugging that kool aid

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

tuyop posted:

god some of you really need to read some books, showing your whole rear end with this discussion

“modern uncontacted tribes” are often the centuries-old diaspora of some kind of disaster. the Amazon is a great example, where there were cities for centuries producing millions of pieces of pottery for landfill. in one example, smallpox preceded explorers by a couple of generations. so the people these conquistadors encountered were relatively new to that lifestyle, at least in its observed form. now we have folks here saying the same poo poo those assholes said. these “uncontacted tribes” have 20 000 years of history in which they were actors and subjects in themselves.

this is also true for the concept of farming and hunting and gathering. the reason people think of it like that is because of anthropology’s service to imperialism and race science. human history is not a video game where you level up from the Stone Age to the atomic age. in reality, people all over the world have played with agriculture many times in many ways. sometimes they would farm for a few years and roam for a few. sometimes they maintained huge farms the size of forests.

the life expectancy thing is like my favourite piece of liberal bullshit. like my god our quality of life and “progress” is literally gotten by sucking life out of other places, setting it on fire and ignoring the casualties. we simply don’t have a counterfactual that makes any sense here as well. like I don’t know what the life expectancy would be in a place if they hadn’t been brutally depopulated, colonized and sabotaged so I can live to a ripe old age. and I don’t know what my life expectancy would be if I didn’t have all this extra blood.

I can always count on you to be the voice of reason in a sea of propaganda, this site loving sucks.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the plasticonimbus clouds are mankind's crowning achievement https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/microplastics-are-present-in-clouds-confirm-japanese-scientists-4430609

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

puncturewound78 posted:

I love western myths

No way the societies with 15 hour work weeks could have cared for the disabled and had accommodations.

Nope, only our brilliant extract model that euthanizes and developed eugenics cared for the disabled.

Buddy, I think you're underestimating just how annoying I can be.

Real talk: I was at least partially kidding, but there is a very real difference in life expectancy between someone who can move on their own two feet vs relying on the kindness and availability of the group.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Just a Moron posted:

Buddy, I think you're underestimating just how annoying I can be.

Real talk: I was at least partially kidding, but there is a very real difference in life expectancy between someone who can move on their own two feet vs relying on the kindness and availability of the group.

Im disabled. gently caress you

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Hunter gatherers lived a life focused only on survival while nature was constantly torturing them with pure brutality, that’s how frivolous poo poo like art and religion got developed

Soggy Muffin has issued a correction as of 09:22 on Sep 30, 2023

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
You ever seen apex predators in the wild? They always in the midst of a panic attack, never lounging about lazily. Ancient homos musta been hella stressed with no means of natural offense other than working as a group with superior cognitive function and communication and tools

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the timeline where Europeans didn't take over the world hundreds of years ago is probably hosed in a completely different way

might be better than ours tho, idfk

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I mean what exactly is the goal of life, completely removed of all philosophy and ideology? I’d say looking at history it’s to be as invasive as possible without encountering the side effects of overshoot. Thus far humans have been god tier

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Real hurthling! posted:

more like climid

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Fried Watermelon posted:

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus was a good book
another book sort of in that vein is "One Vast Winter Count" by Colin Calloway. pre-contact history of north america, gives actual weight to oral histories that turn out to be pretty informative

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

puncturewound78 posted:

I love western myths

there's compelling evidence that many pre-agricultural societies treated people with disabilities, abnormalities, or people something other than "normal," if you'll allow the term, with some reverence, and gave them elaborate burials. it's cited quite a few times in graeber and wengrow's 'the dawn of everything'

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
:ok:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
cavemen were too woke that's why they died or got frozen in glaciers

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Their ways of being and knowing were so progressive that the chud explorers couldn't handle it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Just a Moron posted:

I don't think this is essentially true, would you say that Cuba's advances in life expectancy is born from imperialism? The basic building blocks of a healthy life don't have to come from elsewhere. Their rate of accumulation is augmented via pillaging, but it is definitely possible to progress forward in scientific understanding and material infrastructure while coexisting with the rest of the world.

what are you even talking about

where do you think Cuban infrastructure and “progress” come from?

like you know Cuba is a settler colony where nearly all the Indigenous inhabitants chose suicide rather than slavery under the Spanish? So even the very existence of Cuba as an entity that you can reference in this way is a result of pillaging and imperialism. you can argue that that’s cool and good but we have names for people who believe such things.

if you want to start your ahistorical liberal analysis at the revolution in the 1950s instead, then Cuba was a proxy state for the US and then for the USSR. It benefited from
the extractive colonial practices of both those empires all throughout the 20th century. which years of the average Cuban life can be attributed to Cuban gumption and which to draining the Aral Sea or the Spanish-American War?

this is beside the veracity of the claim entirely. how do you know that Cuba is so great and decoupled from imperialism in the way you claim? who has been measuring these things and how? where and what do they look for? what questions are they trying to answer? your numbers and stats are not mana from heaven, they’re political products designed to forward some agenda, you shouldn’t just swallow them as fact and use them to inform your worldview and make you carry water for monsters.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Nobody is saying settler colonialism or imperialism are good. Long life expectancy and low infant mortality are. Take a walk

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

not me bitch I fuckin LOVE settling and colons

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

me: *placing my first town and road in Settlers of Catan*

guy: Pfft, oh wow, you think this was some kind of Terra Nullius?? :mad:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
just do a land acknowledgement every turn

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Just a Moron posted:

it is definitely possible to progress forward in scientific understanding and material infrastructure while coexisting with the rest of the world.

Sure, it could be possible, somebody should try that

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
if a Hunter gatherer society can keeping making my heart meds then sign me the gently caress up I guess

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just gather the heart meds from the bountiful forest

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hunter gatherers are not in particular need of heart meds. Malaria, on the other hand.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

puncturewound78 posted:

Im disabled. gently caress you

I am too, jfc

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
First I have to gather heart meds from the bountiful forests, next I have to hunt the wandering eyeglasses of the plains... when do I get to just chill out and play some Minecraft in this deal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I think modern medicine makes life better for disabled people, including myself :unsmith:

Wow! gently caress you liberal, go murder some more indigenous people! :mad:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
fart meds

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

puncturewound78 posted:

I love western myths

i’m glad i live in america because no other country has electricity, running water, or elections

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

in communist countries like england they tell you what your job is as soon as you’re born and you can never change it or move. sure glad to live in a place with freedom

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

hunter gatherer societies have ways of shutting that down

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

tuyop posted:

what are you even talking about

where do you think Cuban infrastructure and “progress” come from?

like you know Cuba is a settler colony where nearly all the Indigenous inhabitants chose suicide rather than slavery under the Spanish? So even the very existence of Cuba as an entity that you can reference in this way is a result of pillaging and imperialism. you can argue that that’s cool and good but we have names for people who believe such things.

if you want to start your ahistorical liberal analysis at the revolution in the 1950s instead, then Cuba was a proxy state for the US and then for the USSR. It benefited from
the extractive colonial practices of both those empires all throughout the 20th century. which years of the average Cuban life can be attributed to Cuban gumption and which to draining the Aral Sea or the Spanish-American War?

this is beside the veracity of the claim entirely. how do you know that Cuba is so great and decoupled from imperialism in the way you claim? who has been measuring these things and how? where and what do they look for? what questions are they trying to answer? your numbers and stats are not mana from heaven, they’re political products designed to forward some agenda, you shouldn’t just swallow them as fact and use them to inform your worldview and make you carry water for monsters.

Show me a study about the excavated bodies of pre agricultural peoples, and the relative proportion of those with physical disabilities that made it to adulthood. I would find that genuinely interesting and convincing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
just so we’re clear, I think people here are saying “if not for global capitalism in its current state, i as a disabled person would be dead”.

I would say that you aren’t fully exploring your counterfactual. it only makes a little sense if you believe:

- everyone with a disability is served equally by our system
- there never were other ways of providing support and assistance for people with needs in our communities
- the externalities of having my needs met are completely unrelated to what my needs are in our society and how to meet them.

all of that is just completely absurd and unserious. unless you believe people everywhere outside Western Europe and maybe North Africa and SE Asia in the past 150 years just hosed around in this Hobbesian nightmare for hundreds of generations. and for that to be true, it says a lot about the people you’re imagining and what you think of them.

Just a Moron posted:

Show me a study about the excavated bodies of pre agricultural peoples, and the relative proportion of those with physical disabilities that made it to adulthood. I would find that genuinely interesting and convincing.

go read a book. some accessible ones for you are The Dawn of Everything and 1491. based on what you said you should find them genuinely interesting and convincing.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Fondly remembering the time spent in NICU and thinking "I would definitely make it to my current age foraging in the woods without that" :hmmno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Thinking hunter gatherer societies do everything better than us is just a different kind of noble savage myth imo