Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah the easiest is to just make a list on a dry erase token, that's what I do for my Ivy. I didn't do mutate in my deck but I may have to throw in a little bit. Just, as a treat

I've got copies of all the cheap cards in my token box in different coloured sleeves to the Ivy deck, and different arts where available as well as the dry erase cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

TotalHell posted:

So I’m curious, how many decks do people have that starts as a concept WITHOUT a commander, vs the number of decks that started with the Commander and built from there?

I almost always start with a commander I think is interesting. The one exception was boros equipment, because there are like 10 good options and most of them don’t alter deckbuilding much.

I went with Reyav, who gives double-strike, so I did remove other double-strike and first strike effects in favour of more power and evasion. Most of the options are just “play good creatures and equipment” with an added step of “select equipment that works best with your commander’s gimmick”.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Okay I think I've cracked the code. In Cockatrice I can ctrl y to put the top card to the stack zone, I can ctrl shift y to open a search box, with the right search terms it will put all the cards from the top to the stack zone until the right card is found. If I don't do ctrl y first it won't show the intermediate cards which is incorrect. Then I can select all the cards and shuffle to the bottom.

The complaint was cascading through my entire deck, especially for a 1-cost sliver and cascading off of every sliver entering the battlefield took too long but this should resolve the complaint. :)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

TotalHell posted:

So I’m curious, how many decks do people have that starts as a concept WITHOUT a commander, vs the number of decks that started with the Commander and built from there?

I ask because I assume like 90%+ of decks start with the Commander. That’s certainly true of my decks. But now I have three decks that started as concepts, and for which I determined a Commander as part of the building process: Demon Typal, Jeskai Dice-Rolling, and Gruff Octuplets.

So I’m wondering how many others do this and build some decks without having the commander in mind at the start.

Interesting question. Most of the time I see a commander and then build the deck, mainly because I have plenty of run of the mill decks and as a result I'm now on the look out for a commander that seems a bit different and suggests a deck I had never considered. Good examples of this I would say are the beamtown bullies or obeka brute chronologist.

Historically I have started to build quite a few typal decks without identifying a specific commander right at the start. This happened with elves, dinosaurs and currently with faeries. Some typal I started with an obvious commander such as Vampires with Edgar Markov.

Occasionally I identify a theme or mechanic first. These seem to be the hardest decks for me to build as I am constantly trying to put together good madness and reanimator decks (in the first case I am not sure who to have as a commander, on the second there doesn't seem to be enough good cards).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone played/seen Yoshimaru/Esior enough to have opinions on it? I like the idea of having a super low to the ground aggressive deck that could run just enough disruption to see it through. Any major pitfalls, difficulties, warnings?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay I think I've cracked the code. In Cockatrice I can ctrl y to put the top card to the stack zone, I can ctrl shift y to open a search box, with the right search terms it will put all the cards from the top to the stack zone until the right card is found. If I don't do ctrl y first it won't show the intermediate cards which is incorrect. Then I can select all the cards and shuffle to the bottom.

The complaint was cascading through my entire deck, especially for a 1-cost sliver and cascading off of every sliver entering the battlefield took too long but this should resolve the complaint. :)

Yeah, Cascade is incredibly powerful and the answer is not "ban cascade/first sliver" but it's actually "your opponents need to deal with that sliver before you untap"

Fake edit: drat I'm sorry I don't mean to sound so fuckin grumpy, just had to deal with filing a work injury report so my apologies on being salty.

Anyway, I find it pretty unfair that the two players not playing slivers banned ONLY a sliver, and that combined with you saying they complain a lot upthread makes me fairly certain the problem is not your First Sliver or cascade.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 28, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, Cascade is incredibly powerful and the answer is not "ban cascade/first sliver" but it's actually "your opponents need to deal with that sliver before you untap"

Fake edit: drat I'm sorry I don't mean to sound so fuckin grumpy, just had to deal with filing a work injury report so my apologies on being salty.

Anyway, I find it pretty unfair that the two players not playing slivers banned ONLY a sliver, and that combined with you saying they complain a lot upthread makes me fairly certain the problem is not your First Sliver or cascade.

Not a problem you didn't sound grumpy to me at all fwiw, I used to play League of Legends I'm used to worse. :shobon:

To be clear the problem isn't that it was too powerful, they banned first sliver as my commander because once we learned that yes, cascade CASTS the cascaded into slivers so they also cascade once FS is on the board; means that instead of cascading like once or twice a game, I'm cascading like a factorial number of times; and also the worst offender was when I cascade for Mana Value less than 2, I only have about 2-4 1-drop slivers in my y'know, 99 card commander deck and the first time this came up it was a solid 5-10 minutes to one by one drag the top card onto the board until I found the sliver. The main complaint is that this would take a staggering amount of time every game and is gauranteed to happen when First Sliver is my Commander. Especially when I'm cascading from 6 cost to 5 cost to 4 cost to 3 cost to 2 cost to 1 cost and its now every game once we realized the actual rule.

Because the side effect of having a deck comprised of literally only slivers is I have nothing that terminates the cascade effect or exits out from the chain; it goes until I hit zero cost slivers.

My solution which I figured out after extensively searching the goddamn Cockatrice gitrepo for a feature apparently added only 2 weeks ago should resolve the core complaint. Because they did say I could have First Sliver in the deck just not as the Commander because of all the time it would end up taking.

But now I think I've solved the problem so it should be all good. :shobon:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

orangelex44 posted:

Mono-white equipment is entirely viable. Sram can probably do it, so can the Kembas, but my personal version is Ardenn/Akroma partners. Going voltron is the easiest path but you can also get a go-wide version or even just generic goodstuff.

My equip deck runs the OG mono-white Nahiri walker as the commander. The deck basically revolves around getting her and Skullclamp on the field to make her +1 “Draw two cards.” The secret commander of the deck is the Kaldra set. And the doofy battle cruiser wincon is Kaldra set + Divine Visitation to pump out 4/4 flying vigilant angels for 1 mana a piece.

I’ll post the decklist tonight.

As for deck concept development, the vast majority of my EDH decks start with the commander, but my enchantment deck has always been 5-color Theros Pantheon and the commanders evolve based on function and flavor. It’s currently Esika.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
My EDH decks mostly started with the Commander and there are still plenty of instances of "oh that seems cool". However, there's increasingly looking at colour combinations and play styles and power levels where I have gaps I want to fill out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not very good at building decks from the ground up without a concept to work with, so most lists I come up with on my own tend to revolve a lot around the commander.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Nahiri, Maximum Kaldra!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's a crime that I can't use Mechtitan Core as a commander

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I mostly build decks around a commander. Sometimes I have ideas of an archetype without a specific commander in mind, but I almost always try to find one that I like before filling out the 99.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I usually think of a theme/gimmick and then a commander that would support that, then build the rest of the deck.

Which leads to poo poo like a deck my friends call "Chandra tribal" that has 17 Chandras in it.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

For the most part, yeah, I tend to choose the commander first, then the deck type. However, for both my Woolly Thoctar Beast typal pauper deck and my Piru aikido/lifegain decks, I started with the theme and chose a commander from there.

Also, I built my own Imodane, and at least from goldfishing with it, it seems really fun (for me, anyway). Just wish I didn't constantly keep running into issues in the day of my flgs' commander nights, because I would really like to actually test it against real people.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Silhouette posted:

It's a crime that I can't use Mechtitan Core as a commander

Says in Grr voice: "It's got chicken legs!"

Yay finally the only other person on Earth that uses her as a Commander like I do!

I've been wanting to tweak my deck by putting life gain and infect in it but I've had issues in making it all gel. I think I need to relook at ONE and MoM.

https://archidekt.com/decks/840718/forged_in_stone_improving

Here's mine.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 29, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just wanna build Literal Voltron, except there aren't enough artifact lions in colorless to become Mechtitan's limbs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Surely you can build Mechtitan as a secret commander.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Silhouette posted:

I just wanna build Literal Voltron, except there aren't enough artifact lions in colorless to become Mechtitan's limbs

Stonework Puma, Prophet of the Peak, Diamond Lion, Wirecat (?????)

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stonework Puma, Prophet of the Peak, Diamond Lion, Wirecat (?????)

Watchers of the dead, paper tiger or chrome cat none of which are lions, sadly.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Sparkhunter masticore is an artifact and looks like a lion at least. Maybe some other manticores.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Silhouette posted:

You just use Liquimetal Coating and Liquimetal Torque and make a buncha G and W Lions artifact creatures!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I’ve won two games this week entirely because of people forgetting about this little bastard, it’s hilarious.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah I love him in my Elenda deck, that deck is just full of "wait that does WHAT" cards that people immediately ignore once they drop until it's too late :v: (to the point my partner has had someone unrelated talk about how stupid my deck was to him not knowing we're "roommates" lol)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not scared of a 1/1 and I refuse to read the cards of my enemy. I would simply play a 2/2.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

I'm not scared of a 1/1 and I refuse to read the cards of my enemy. I would simply play a 2/2.

Just like me fr fr

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
virgin 1 / 1 Soldier vs the gigachad 2 / 2 boar

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just discovered Vial Smasher and I have never been more excited to build a deck. Its going to be grixis politics + goad + obviously a bit of chaos. I think the partner will be Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist. Yes, I do require it to be grixis and more casual than a sakashima partner would be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just discovered Vial Smasher and I have never been more excited to build a deck. Its going to be grixis politics + goad + obviously a bit of chaos. I think the partner will be Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist. Yes, I do require it to be grixis and more casual than a sakashima partner would be.

Tsk...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because the side effect of having a deck comprised of literally only slivers is I have nothing that terminates the cascade effect or exits out from the chain; it goes until I hit zero cost slivers.

Out of curiosity, since the deck is nothing but lands and slivers, do you run Umori, the Collector as a companion?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

W.T. Fits posted:

Out of curiosity, since the deck is nothing but lands and slivers, do you run Umori, the Collector as a companion?

Not a Sliver :getin:

So I haven't seen this card before but memes aside is the idea I cast it from my sideboard, choose slivers, and all slivers cost 1 colourless less?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not a Sliver :getin:

So I haven't seen this card before but memes aside is the idea I cast it from my sideboard, choose slivers, and all slivers cost 1 colourless less?

they all got errata'd, now you pay 3 generic to put it from the sideboard into your hand and then you play it like any other card.

The bottom part of that scryfall page has all the fun details

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, the mechanic was changed. Now it's basically "put this card aside at the start of the game, you may pay 3 to add it to your hand as a sorcery."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Note also that it's not "each creature shares a type," it's "each nonland card shares a type." So it literally has to be all lands and creatures. If you have any artifacts, instants or sorceries, Umori is not a legal companion.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

disaster pastor posted:

Note also that it's not "each creature shares a type," it's "each nonland card shares a type." So it literally has to be all lands and creatures. If you have any artifacts, instants or sorceries, Umori is not a legal companion.

To satisfy Umori's companion requirement, there must be one card type that each nonland card in your starting deck has. For example, if every nonland card is an artifact creature, enchantment creature, or creature, it is satisfied; but if you have an artifact creature, an artifact, and a creature, it is not satisfied.
(2020-04-17)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

To satisfy Umori's companion requirement, there must be one card type that each nonland card in your starting deck has. For example, if every nonland card is an artifact creature, enchantment creature, or creature, it is satisfied; but if you have an artifact creature, an artifact, and a creature, it is not satisfied.
(2020-04-17)

So as long as all my nonland cards are creatures its fine?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, exactly.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The real trick is using Grist as your commander, Umori as your companion and everything else is a planeswalker. There are 71 walkers that will fit in the golgari identity. Plenty for a full curve that starts at 3. :getin:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 30, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also you choose card type not creature type with it, so you’d name Creature rather than Sliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Also you choose card type not creature type with it, so you’d name Creature rather than Sliver.

Gotcha!