Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't see an active sekiro thread anywhere so I'll just post about it here:

I'm starting to get the hang of it. I beat the horse boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sekiro thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860077

I recently started and beat horse guy a couple days ago. You might pass me soon though, I’m running into brick walls

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
i should pick that back up

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I both hate and appreciate that bosses and strong enemies can be loads easier than, say, six basilisks in a small room.

The fact that almost all enemies have the ability to just wreck you no matter the level and equipment is cool and, often, annoying as gently caress.

I was on my way to Rykard, exploring and grabbing things. Found that small room under the walkway by the large magma pit. Those six basilisks jumped me and filled the whole room with death blight and bam. Done. Got my runes then got wrecked by an abductor virgin even though I normally take them out with minimal problems.

Meanwhile I killed the Godskin Noble alone and first try taking only two hits. I killed Morgott first try alone first try and skipped his second phase entirely.

Elden Ring The Lands Between are a land of contrasts.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 30, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. This is the best one, yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAUtcVaw7U

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The whole series is good but they keep making them better

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That one is good but the Stormwind Castle ep is just :perfect:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lol apparently Elden Ring has almost 10x daily players compared to Diablo4. 30k daily counting steam only, vs 4k all platforms.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bisse posted:

Lol apparently Elden Ring has almost 10x daily players compared to Diablo4. 30k daily counting steam only, vs 4k all platforms.

i'm not sure what numbers you saw, but the latest numbers for diablo 4 i can find put it at somewhere between 300-440k~ peak daily concurrent players

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One thing I love/hate about elden ring is all the ridiculously long ladders. I love them because they're goofy, but I hate them because why did they put this giant ladder here???????

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

One thing I love/hate about elden ring is all the ridiculously long ladders. I love them because they're goofy, but I hate them because why did they put this giant ladder here???????

Half the time it's because you can't use spirit springs in co-op

The other half, it's because they just like putting really long ladders in places

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Half the time it's because you can't use spirit springs in co-op

The other half, it's because they just like putting really long ladders in places

Yeah to be clear the "they" would be the imaginary people who built the locations we run around it. "My immersion", so to speak.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They built long ladders to imitate large trees, which were revered as holy

edit - this is also why there is no ladder down to the three fingers, or in any of the heretical belief zones like Nokron and Nokstella

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

In Queen Marika’s words: “yet, brave warriors of my lord, when ye shall return to the Lands Between, i shall have builded ye ladders. And huge elevators, that ye may go both up and down”

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

edit - this is also why there is no ladder down to the three fingers, or in any of the heretical belief zones like Nokron and Nokstella

skasion posted:

In Queen Marika’s words: “yet, brave warriors of my lord, when ye shall return to the Lands Between, i shall have builded ye ladders. And huge elevators, that ye may go both up and down”

:hmmyes:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

skasion posted:

She built a special exclusive one for Godfrey, which is why he gets to skip right to the end of the whole quest. The whole time we're schlepping around he's playing poker with his lion friend. He scoots up to wait for us when we land in the ashen capital

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
For Mt. Gelmir you can just assume the invaders built the ladders after Rykard's crew smashed the bridges.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

For Mt. Gelmir you can just assume the invaders built the ladders after Rykard's crew smashed the bridges.

In their madness, they sought to recreate the Erdtree with their ladders to carry them to salvation and away from the madness and cannibalism of being stuck between the Abductor Virgins and Rykard's forces. They stopped only when their cargo cult took them to the top where a big rock beast yeeted them off as soon as they got up. This is also why half the ladders are redundant.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m stilllll

In a dream

Dung Eater

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Rand Brittain posted:

Nah. Rykard also provided the ladders so only the most swole can reach him.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

War Wizard posted:

:hmmyes:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

War Wizard posted:

So what you're saying is he's playing a game...

... of Snakes and Ladders? :haw:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So what you're saying is he's playing a game...

... of Snakes and Ladders? :haw:

The game you play

TOGETHAAA

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Even if you’re just bullshitting this is a pretty good theory/reason.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

visions of snake...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's fun dragging the same 2 or 3 people through my horrible deaths on Malenia for like 10 or so attempts until we finally kill her. I would put down my sign but I die too easy lmao.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Even if you’re just bullshitting this is a pretty good theory/reason.

One of the longest ladders in the game is hidden away in a trench of corruption, in the castle of a shard bearer whose yearning for purity and recognition is tainted by his ignoble and vile methods. A coward and a recluse.

It's all just invented on the spot bullshit yeah, but metaphor and allusion are the bedrock that everything in the games are built on so you can get pretty out there and still be moving toward "getting" the game's whole deal because even just a normal playthrough means taking some pretty crazy poo poo in stride.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The longest ladder I can recall is the one in Stormveil Castle. That what you mean? The description tracks.

Admittedly I just reached Giant Country so I know I have a ways to go.

Though I feel like there is one in Caelid, too. And Mt. Gelmer has a few but they are not a single ladder.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

The longest ladder I can recall is the one in Stormveil Castle. That what you mean? The description tracks.

Admittedly I just reached Giant Country so I know I have a ways to go.

Though I feel like there is one in Caelid, too. And Mt. Gelmer has a few but they are not a single ladder.

That's the one yeah, Caelid has a somewhat long one in the divine tower but I can't recall any serious contenders there. Obviously even that is only still there because of the tower's link to the Erdtree, the rest of Caelid is lost to it and thus - no serious ladders

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah.

It is a cool theory but unfortunately I think it was really just a way for the level designer(s) to promote better a gameplay experience after getting you down in that pit. If you had to go all the way back up in the way you came it would be challenging to design and if you had to go a new route it would risk bloating the area with more poo poo.

More like this in the conference room:

“How do we get them back up there? We have limited time and this map area is already quite detailed.”

“Why don’t we just like, make then climb a ladder and then add a shortcut door or something?”

“Nailed it.”

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 1, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Speaking of design and story and lore: I hope they make a Volume III of the “Books of Knowledge” guides and it is just that.

Would be awesome, imo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The ladder that set me off was the one from after Loretta's arena to the start of Elphael in the Haligtree. Maybe they didn't want the soldiers in the castle part to be friends with whoever was living in the fancy treehouses???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Laddersmith Gilligan should make an appearance in the DLC.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Do the Lapp routine again making you think it's Patches but then he takes the helmet off and it's Gilligan.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One of the designers really liked long ladders and Miyazaki didn't have the heart to refuse him

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Will console ssd kill long ladders and tunnels

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Mobile phones still use 📞 for the calling icon. I think ladders will be safe.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Laddersmith Gilligan should make an appearance in the DLC.

He's dead, unfortunately.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Horace Kinch posted:

He's dead, unfortunately.

When has that been an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Any character that gets killed prior to defeating Malekith can safely be assumed to not really be dead anyway.