Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

my six year old can do it easily maybe be a better teacher

Oh. This is not about my child. This about the seminal 1958 linguistics paper "The Child's Learning Of English Morphology" where 67% of all children in the sample thought that Thanksgiving was called Thanksgiving because you eat a lot of turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
ah, 67% isn't that high and also kids were dumber back then

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's much higher for other compounds where children weren't explicitly taught the derivation, as is common for Thanksgiving.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How does your kid pronounce somehow when asked to sound it out?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
For better or worse, I changed my last diaper yesterday. I asked if we should have some around just in case, but the wife says we're not going back. It's been almost exactly 6 years.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey grats! I'm still working with my 4yo and waiting patiently. Honestly for now I'd probably be happy if she just told me when she pooped.

She knows when she's pooped, she just doesn't want to bother telling me :argh:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
welp my buddy just texted me and some other dads that his wife is going to hospice care for terminal cancer and she will probably not last another month.

I met them in a parenting group when we all had our first kids. his wife got cancer within a year of their son being born and just never recovered.

I'm just so incredibly sad.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Daughter started Kindergarten and is refusing to eat real food (or eats excruciatingly slowly), only a chocolate waffle in the morning and whatever candy/snacks she can get her hands on. She’s lost some weight so thinking about asking a doctor.

Is there some social dynamic with Kindergartners and food that I completely forgot about? The only thing I can think of is we send her food in a lunchbox, and there’s also provided lunch for people who use that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

welp my buddy just texted me and some other dads that his wife is going to hospice care for terminal cancer and she will probably not last another month.

I met them in a parenting group when we all had our first kids. his wife got cancer within a year of their son being born and just never recovered.

That is very much not okay. There's nothing to say or do, except try to help out your buddy as much as you can. Invite him over for dinner, or just take the kid a bit if he needs time alone, with his wife or with his therapist.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
gently caress cancer,as always

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

gently caress :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Horrid. I live in fear of this, of either me or my wife getting some sort of medical death sentence while our kid is only 2yo :(

How old is their kid now?

I like to think that, at the very least, having advance warning of my premature death would give me time to start recording videos addressed to my kid for him to watch when he's older. I've been mulling over doing that kinda thing anyway just in case.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby is finally gaining weight, which was a stressful two weeks

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Baby is finally gaining weight, which was a stressful two weeks

All my kids were like that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Have to do solo parenting for a full overnight tomorrow night. V anxious about it

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

PerniciousKnid posted:

All my kids were like that.

Yep that's totally normal!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah we had to go to the hospital to weigh in the babby every day the first week after getting discharged and it sucked when she wasn't gaining weight early on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm looking after my toddler for a week all by myself while his mum is away.

The weekend has begun. It is 7am. He's not awake yet, but that will soon change.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Microplastics posted:

I'm looking after my toddler for a week all by myself while his mum is away.

The weekend has begun. It is 7am. He's not awake yet, but that will soon change.

you will endure

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Psh, only one toddler

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My son had a playdate some months back with one of his friends. Picked him up and the mom had had her 3 kids and my son alone for like 6 hours. I can't even understand how she managed. Edit: aged 3-8

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

twins will be toddlers within a year, that'll be an adventure

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Once they start playing with each other you're golden

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah there's a sweet spot where you get just enough kids near each other and they just start to hum along without any encouragement. just feed them regularly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's two sets of twins that show up at the playgroup we go to fairly regularly and their moms are the chillest people on the planet. Just masters of chaos, it's incredible.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This baby is not eating. His mom is away until tomorrow and he just screams and screams instead of taking this bottle. How the hell am I going to survive the night

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

This baby is not eating. His mom is away until tomorrow and he just screams and screams instead of taking this bottle. How the hell am I going to survive the night

Just keep at it, he'll get hungry enough to eat eventually

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He's supposed to be asleep in five minutes and I don't wanna waste this bottle, our milk stash isn't big enough

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He fell asleep with the bottle in his mouth having screamed for half an hour and drunk zero ounces. loving kill me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've been there. First time mom was away for a day after the kid had been breastfed exclusively for months and all I could offer was a bottle. It's rough but Vox is right, the kid will get hungry and go with the flow... eventually.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

He fell asleep with the bottle in his mouth having screamed for half an hour and drunk zero ounces. loving kill me.

you can do this, baby will come around to the bottle just keep at it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wife went out with a friend the other night, leaving me with both my mom, the six year old and the baby for the night. Six year old got to bed easily with the help of my mom, but baby took half an hour to put down, slept for 20 minutes and then just screamed for two hours more or less straight. And I had really needed some alone recovery time. Anyway, I eventually called my wife home and when she got here, she wanted to pee but that was not an option, she needed to take the baby right then.
Anyway, I slept two hours on the bed and then I got the rest of the night on and around the couch, mostly carrying 10kg of crying.

No moral except don't have sex ever

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when our first was like 6 months old I traveled with my wife so I could watch the kid while she was attending a work conference

literally hours of pacing the dark hotel room with a screaming baby trying to get him to eat or at least pass out.

we had a second kid 3 years later so I suppose it wasn't too traumatic, but god drat I dont envy you right now. good luck! you both will absolutely get through it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am extremely pro vasectomy right now, I definitely am not having any more kids. But to be fair, I was mildly against having this current baby because it's stressful having kids and I just want to bake and play guitar and shitpost most of the time.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the only lasting nighttime impression i have of the first few months of having a baby at home was the nightmare horrorshow of pacing dark halls at 3am frantically googling insane stuff like 'can you die of crying' or 'baby angry, normal?' I guess there was more but its been sealed away in a dark corner of memory.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

kecske posted:

the only lasting nighttime impression i have of the first few months of having a baby at home was the nightmare horrorshow of pacing dark halls at 3am frantically googling insane stuff like 'can you die of crying' or 'baby angry, normal?' I guess there was more but its been sealed away in a dark corner of memory.

Yep you forget all that so your brain can convince you to have another one.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

loquacius posted:

try a rocking chair or a car ride or a harness / sling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rocking chair calmed him but it turned out that was just because he was being soothed to sleep. He's up from his nap now and I want to do a reset by taking him on a walk but his sister is refusing to go outside. Parenting rules.