Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DrPossum posted:

Spotify started showing an alert nag if there's newly released podcasts for channels you follow. I have (had) a bunch I was following so it was coming up every hour without any way to turn it off. Just had unsubscribe to all of them. gently caress you spotify. Hire some competent designers

It's so loving annoying in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Further Reading posted:

One of the streaming TV apps I use has removed the ability to enable subtitles in the app. I have to go to the website, log into my account and enable it there. However, even after doing that subtitles won't show when using chromecast.

How do you gently caress up subtitles this bad in 2023?

You aren't supposed to be able to read anymore, just watch and consume

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
lately all my streaming apps on my TVs randomly log me out constantly and it's really starting to chap my hide

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently android apps can add to the context menu which sucks. Installed outlook for my stupid work email and now they put search with bing in there. Only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the app. gently caress bing.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

Disney subtitles are so bad. And they take up like, one fifth of the screen. Amazon prime is the only one that does subtitles well, you can make them really loving small if you want, and change fonts and background.

Prime's subtitles are totally disassociated with the episode if you watch on Firefox. That bug has been around for ages. Like, the subtitles play either ten minutes ahead of visuals of the episode or they're for a totally different episode. For me, makes watching anything on Prime impossible in Firefox.

Peacock also sucks at subtitles. Theirs is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper teeny tiny if you're watching on a smart TV with no way to increase the font.

mawarannahr posted:

It's so loving annoying in general

Spotify started throwing these popups at me when it enters drive mode. Which is a mode that your map app automatically forces Spotify to enter if the car starts moving, that you can't turn off. It's three or four huge popups that hide the controls, and the only way to get rid of them is to gently caress around on your phone trying to find the tiny (x) button while driving. Just making the whole experience actively hostile to life at that point.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Black Noise posted:

Ritz crackers ain’t hitting like they used to.

I've always had Cheez-It for my go to cracker snack.

They're no where near as satisfyingly salty as they used to be. Huge disappointment but I guess my blood pressure is better off.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 30, 2023

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I’m the dev manager for a very large corporation and our CEO is demanding that everyone make our mobile app our number 1 priority. So all the different business units are cramming our website full of GET OUR APP banners, nags, deep links, etc. Then if you do for some reason get our app (which offers no additional functionality than our website) they are cramming that full of notifications. Notifications such as “if they stop driving for 5 minutes, ask if they need help”

Just extremely anti-user garbage that makes me ashamed of my job.

Sorry

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

I've always had Cheez-It for my go to cracker snack.

They're no where near as satisfyingly salty as they used to be. Huge disappointment but I guess my blood pressure is better off.

White Cheddar flavor still fucks pretty hard imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess Far Cry 7 will have a 24 hour countdown to complete the game, which I’m salty about. Who wants to have a “Time left to have fun” component to a game?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Professor Shark posted:

I guess Far Cry 7 will have a 24 hour countdown to complete the game, which I’m salty about. Who wants to have a “Time left to have fun” component to a game?

This is why Pikmin 2 was much better than Pikmin 1.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Just make the timer super short to encourage replaying. Like how the original Prince of Persia had a one hour timer before Jaffar killed the princess

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Professor Shark posted:

lol Fallout 1 has a timer and a secret timer, which you can also accidentally trip at the beginning of the game, and it's better for it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

shazbot posted:

I’m the dev manager for a very large corporation and our CEO is demanding that everyone make our mobile app our number 1 priority. So all the different business units are cramming our website full of GET OUR APP banners, nags, deep links, etc. Then if you do for some reason get our app (which offers no additional functionality than our website) they are cramming that full of notifications. Notifications such as “if they stop driving for 5 minutes, ask if they need help”

Just extremely anti-user garbage that makes me ashamed of my job.

Sorry

Sure we may have enshittified our entire society but at least we can all sleep well at night knowing that those sweet sweet KPIs were hit.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Professor Shark posted:

Majora’s Mask :colbert:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Black Noise posted:

Majora’s Mask :colbert:

That's different because it followed groundhog Day rules

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Armacham posted:

This is why Pikmin 2 was much better than Pikmin 1.

:wrong:

I thought it made the first game exciting. I had a blast trying to 100% it to get the best ending back in the day.

The Pikmin series is an example of something that got shittier. I played the demo for Pikmin 4 and the huge crew of humans who quip constantly and tell you exactly what to do every 5 steps ruined it for me. I miss when you were the only human on the entire goddamn planet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don’t think that countdowns are very inclusive. I get a lot of anxiety from them, not at all relaxing

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Professor Shark posted:

I don’t think that countdowns are very inclusive. I get a lot of anxiety from them, not at all relaxing

Fallout 1s countdowns are supposed to do that

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
people really hate time pressure even though i have yet to see one where the pressure / time is actually short.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

people really hate time pressure even though i have yet to see one where the pressure / time is actually short.

Half Minute Hero O_o

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah, but that’s subjective though. I spend hours exploring every Far Cry environment, since they are so detailed. I emailed them and asked them to make it optional, if they’re going to do it. Let there be a Far Cry achievement for completing it in 24 hours or something

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Verdugo posted:

Apparently android apps can add to the context menu which sucks. Installed outlook for my stupid work email and now they put search with bing in there. Only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the app. gently caress bing.

Yeah I ran into this bullshit a few days ago. Even worse, I had the Microsoft office app as well as outlook, so I had to go to the three dots for copy, total garbage. It should be an android setting you can configure, why they let an app commandeer basic menus is beyond me.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Nodding along with with Professor Shark here: I prefer single player games because they're an opportunity to relax and muddle through a scenario while setting my own pace and priorities.

If I'm after crippling anxiety over my judgement and time management skills I've already got the real world for that :saddowns:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Verdugo posted:

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah I ran into this bullshit a few days ago. Even worse, I had the Microsoft office app as well as outlook, so I had to go to the three dots for copy, total garbage. It should be an android setting you can configure, why they let an app commandeer basic menus is beyond me.

Hey look, it’s the future Tim Sweeney wants for iOS in his pursuit of tying credit cards to slot machines targeted to children.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

aardwolf posted:

Nodding along with with Professor Shark here: I prefer single player games because they're an opportunity to relax and muddle through a scenario while setting my own pace and priorities.

If I'm after crippling anxiety over my judgement and time management skills I've already got the real world for that :saddowns:

cyberpunk is really good and was always really good

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

aardwolf posted:

Yeah seriously

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I loved the first Dead Rising's timer, but the entire gameplay loop was structured around it so it probably was a little more fun to interact with than a generic 'you have 24 hours to beat the game' one.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I paid for a month of ChatGPT and tried to use it to come up with ideàs for a short story I was working on and its ideas ended up being good enough that they infuriated me so I'm not sure why I did it

lol

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

GolfHole posted:

Half Minute Hero O_o

Don’t @ me

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
This has been ongoing, but https://css-tricks.com/ used to be a great website. Then last year we got

https://css-tricks.com/css-tricks-is-joining-digitalocean/

quote:

What happens to CSS-Tricks?

The site and content is staying right here. DigitalOcean is committed to continuing to produce high-quality content on front-end development and tending to the trove of content that exists here already.

Can you guess what happened?!

Did you guess? That's right

they stopped producing content after a few months

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
QuikTrip, which has always been (to me) the pinnacle of gas stations, is going downhill. Not only did they get rid of the giant burritos for "tacos" that are never quite cooked enough (the tortilla is often soggy), now they are constantly out of materials for their cafe. Today they were out of every pizza except breakfast, the tacos, grilled cheese, and even the tortillas for wraps. Basic stuff, somehow in short supply.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

anonumos posted:

QuikTrip, which has always been (to me) the pinnacle of gas stations, is going downhill. Not only did they get rid of the giant burritos for "tacos" that are never quite cooked enough (the tortilla is often soggy), now they are constantly out of materials for their cafe. Today they were out of every pizza except breakfast, the tacos, grilled cheese, and even the tortillas for wraps. Basic stuff, somehow in short supply.

I will never forgive the removal of the sausage egg and cheese square wrap.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The new Outlook has ads at the top where your new emails are. You cannot delete them and they are bolded text, just like new emails, so you automatically look at them lol

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

QuikTrip used to have huge orange slushies for $1. They even tasted like oranges.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I lived at QT until I moved to Charleston where my grocery store taunted me by selling QT gift cards despite the nearest one being over an hour away.

Now I’m further up north with Wawa and their kitchen puts QT to shame. Still miss QT’s rollers though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"So what's it like living in America?"

"We have gas station fandoms."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wash bucket posted:

"So what's it like living in America?"

"We have gas station fandoms."

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

wash bucket posted: