Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Just in general. I dunno maybe I'll wanna go there with someone someday if I ever move to the city

You can also go alone - this can vary from 'fairly depressing' to 'very normal' depending on the bar and where you land on the sociability scale. Some people find it really easy to just chat with people, some people... do not.

But it's really just, as inceltown said, a restaurant but there's more drink options and you stay longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I bet there's a wikiHow article about it

E: here we go https://www.wikihow.com/Order-a-Drink-at-a-Bar

And potentially https://www.wikihow.com/Going-to-a-Bar-Alone

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's no particular etiquette in regards to buying drinks if that's what you're wondering.

It's fine to pay for your own. American bars let folks open a tab for the table. It's ok to say that you want to pay separately - I do this sometimes because settling up who owes what at the end of the night can be a hassle, especially if people start leaving one at a time. On the other hand, friends can split the tab or even offer to pay for drinks.

If someone buys you a drink, you can refuse it if you don't want it. I usually pass it on to somebody else at the table, happy ending for everybody. Some nights I want a beer or even get wasted, other times a coke is fine - people who give you poo poo for not drinking alcohol aren't worth the trouble.

Don't leave your drink unattended or take drinks from strangers.

Talking to randoms can be a lot of fun though! I usually ignore people that make me uncomfortable or move tables away from them. Some bars have a very chill crowd and positive vibes, while others have a higher quota of creeps, which I keep in mind for future outings.

The bathrooms are gross. Everybody knows this and tries not to think about it too much.

A universal tradition at bars is to bitch about ones job/relationship/car trouble, whatever. Also sports, if you're into that. Otherwise, whatever you and your friends normally talk about.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 27, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

A universal tradition at bars is to bitch about ones job/relationship/car trouble, whatever. Also sports, if you're into that. Otherwise, whatever you and your friends normally talk about.

When I go to a bar with friends we usually end up talking about quantum mechanics, computer science, or dank memes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'll add this, if you are going to a bar and it's busy, there's a few things to note

If you are ordering for yourself, know what you want ahead of time. Do you want a beer, a light beer, a shot, a cocktail, wine, whatever. But have some idea. If you have a preferred drink, go ahead and get that. Don't hem and haw and umm...A lot of places will have a menu board behind the bar where you can see what they offer in bottles/cans or on tap.

If it's slow, and you're feeling adventurous, then you can chat up the bartender and say I like this, what would you recommend that's like that? A good bartender will be able to make a suggestion and probably get you something you'll like.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also, it would help to know what kind of bar you're trying to go to. if you have a specific place in mind, let us know. or if you're not comfortable with sharing the specific place, maybe find a place that has a similar look and atmosphere. pictures do tell a huge amount of the story with bars...usually.

bars generally fall into a few camps and it'll pretty obvious to some of us which camp they fall into. would help a lot in preparing you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How on earth do I find a trustworthy and reputable car rental place? I'm visiting Texas in a week and every single car rental company (Avis, Enterprise, Hertz, etc.) I search on Trustpilot are absolutely hammered with 1 star negative reviews. It makes me anxious to rent as I don't want to deal with the potential bullying or harassment when I hand the car back. Even if I'm careful and record the car and any damages prior to leaving, I don't want to end the trip on a negative.

Does anyone have advice or is it just part and parcel of car rental business?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Qubee posted:

How on earth do I find a trustworthy and reputable car rental place? I'm visiting Texas in a week and every single car rental company (Avis, Enterprise, Hertz, etc.) I search on Trustpilot are absolutely hammered with 1 star negative reviews. It makes me anxious to rent as I don't want to deal with the potential bullying or harassment when I hand the car back. Even if I'm careful and record the car and any damages prior to leaving, I don't want to end the trip on a negative.

I'm a white male, so that may explain my experiences, but I've never had any issues with renting a car. Just make sure you know the rental terms, and you'll probably want to fill up the tank yourself before returning the car and you should be fine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

My wife and I rent all the time (Hertz) whenever we travel, and the negative experiences are usually due to understaffed locations, so long wait times. Some people might also be upset that the specific type of car they want is not available. Here's what I'd suggest: Before you drive off the lot, walk around the car and do an inspection for dents or scratches, but mostly big obvious ones. If you see something that looks bad, drag an attendant over there and either get them to sign off that it was like that before you took it, or ask for a different car. Note that this will both eat up a lot of time and make you not very popular, but it is a good CYA tactic. I would also recommend choosing the option for you pay for the gas and fill it up at the closest gas station to the return point. I don't remember what the rules are, but if you can get the option to just park and walk away when returning that just feels good.

Also though, be sure to note date and time that you are returning the car. I did have one experience where we dropped our car off (through the counter) and got a call a few days later indicating that the car was not returned. Took a little talking but we did get that resolved.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Does my dog like licking my hand or does he just feel obligated to

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

Does my dog like licking my hand or does he just feel obligated to

Your hands have all kinds of tasty grime from all the horrible things you've done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do we have an economist thread?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do you want general chat on economics/finance/etc. particularly in relation to current events? If so, there's a thread in BFC. If you want to talk to academic economists, there's no dedicated thread, but you can probably find something over in SAL.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That thread looks solid, thanks!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Qubee posted:

I also haven't really had any crazy bad experiences renting cars at major US airports but I do usually go with the majors (mostly Hertz) and I'm also a white male. I think more than any shady practices, rental car companies are victims of the "if it wasn't bad, I don't review it" thing. People only leave reviews when they're mad and those add up. As long as your expectation is to get "a car" that's at the price you agreed to, and you aren't surprised by the insurance deal they push on you, then you should get what you need.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Has there not been a movie about Apollo 11, and is that weird?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Has there not been a movie about Apollo 11, and is that weird?

I think First Man was about Apollo 11.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this is footage from the pre-launch, launch, trip, and return. it's absolutely fantastic. the visuals are way, way, way better than you'd ever expect for 1969. one of the best documentaries ever.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8760684/

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I meant more like a dramatic retelling, and it looks like it’s First Man! Might check it out thanks obi ant.

I guess a big disaster is a more gripping tale than a successful mission.

The context is we’re building the Lego lunar lander and it really was a loving cool mission and they’ve done the historical Details pretty well

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 30, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What's the best way to do a home webserver, to minimise the chances of it being compromised and the network access an intruder would have if it were?

I've got a raspberry pi, thinking of setting up a webserver on it, and having it connect to a database running on my NAS.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 30, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Yeah I meant more like a dramatic retelling, and it looks like it’s First Man! Might check it out thanks obi ant.

I guess a big disaster is a more gripping tale than a successful mission.

The context is we’re building the Lego lunar lander and it really was a loving cool mission and they’ve done the historical Details pretty well

If you're interested in space missions and stuff, come hang out in the spaceflight thread. We have Tang.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Hyperlynx posted:

What's the best way to do a home webserver, to minimise the chances of it being compromised and the network access an intruder would have if it were?

I've got a raspberry pi, thinking of setting up a webserver on it, and having it connect to a database running on my NAS.

A webserver open to the world? Strongly recommend you don't do that, unless you know exactly what you're doing and have a drat good reason to connect to something local. And even then, you should probably consider moving that something off your local network and onto real hosting.

If this is just intended to be a way for you and/or a few trusted other people to get into your home network from outside, set up something like a private tunnel or an openvpn server. (The simplest to set up will probably be an ssh tunnel; all you need is a Linux box and a forwarded port on your router. You can do drat near anything through an ssh tunnel and the security is still pretty drat good, although it can require a bit of setup on the user end.) You can even arrange things so you can get to web servers on your local network through the tunnel, if you like.

If the website you're thinking of is pretty much anything else... host it anywhere but your home. Find a webhost if you want a super-easy setup, or a nice cheap VPS if you want to get elbows-deep into Linux and DIY it.

e: If I've misunderstood and it's only to be accessible on the LAN, then start with setting up an Apache server, possibly as part of a turnkey LAMP stack.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 30, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

A webserver open to the world? Strongly recommend you don't do that, unless you know exactly what you're doing and have a drat good reason to connect to something local. And even then, you should probably consider moving that something off your local network and onto real hosting.

If this is just intended to be a way for you and/or a few trusted other people to get into your home network from outside, set up something like a private tunnel or an openvpn server. (The simplest to set up will probably be an ssh tunnel; all you need is a Linux box and a forwarded port on your router. You can do drat near anything through an ssh tunnel and the security is still pretty drat good, although it can require a bit of setup on the user end.) You can even arrange things so you can get to web servers on your local network through the tunnel, if you like.

If the website you're thinking of is pretty much anything else... host it anywhere but your home. Find a webhost if you want a super-easy setup, or a nice cheap VPS if you want to get elbows-deep into Linux and DIY it.

e: If I've misunderstood and it's only to be accessible on the LAN, then start with setting up an Apache server, possibly as part of a turnkey LAMP stack.

Nope, no misunderstanding, I really want to host my own webserver that's accessible via ordinary internet.

Okay, I know I'm stretching the scope of this thread because I know it's not actually a simple answer. I was hoping for links to advice on how to do this properly, I'm just not really sure where else to ask.

In my case, I want to set up a webtrees instance for me and my relations. I don't think I can host that on ordinary webhosting (I've already got my own website, and they don't allow extra thingamabobs like this, only plain webpages). I might be able to get the less tech-literate folks to create user accounts to read the family tree, but I think the chances of getting them onto a VPN are pretty small.

Anyway, yeah. I'd really like to host this myself, and learn how to do it properly. What are good resources for learning that?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Try the self hosted thread in SH/SC

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This. If you insist on home-hosting, SH/SC won't steer you wrong, and hopefully they'll keep you from doing anything stupid.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sweet! Thanks folks

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Sweet! Thanks folks

There's a thread you can post the results in too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765300&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, I don't think it's likely someone is going to scam me into gaining access when they shouldn't have it. More likely someone would exploit a bug in the webserver or the stuff running on it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I got an email in Arabic of a OTP for someone trying to sign up for TikTok using my email. I'm not Arabic and live in the US. My email is based on my name which is not remotely Arabic. I don't think it's a phishing attempt because there are no links in the email. Needless to say, I did not sign up for TikTok. Did someone just type their email wrong or is this some sort of new scam? Or some bot just spamming account creations and they randomly typed my email?

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 30, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Qubee posted:

It’s one of those one-time use businesses where no one leaves good reviews when everything is fine, so all the reviews will be bad and pretty worthless.

Given that, the local non-airport ones can be pretty mediocre. You probably won’t be scammed, but they are generally understaffed which means you might get a dirty car with an empty gas tank, and no other options if you don’t like it. And they won’t answer the phone ever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Noticed that TotalWine will deliver liquor to us in Connecticut but not ship it. Is this just because the law cannot make a distinction between hand delivered and bought in store?

franco
Jan 3, 2003
What's the best/easiest/free way to make an online "mixtape" these days? I mean a little "album" you can privately share with a friend. It looks like Spotify can do it but requires both people to be on there and $$$. I can't figure out a private method with YouTube (but my head is full of rocks) and searching seems to just throw up apps for making your own music.

And no I am not trying to stand outside a love interest's house with a raised boombox.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do I need to clean the lint filter on my dryer if I'm running a cycle without heat?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

franco posted:

What's the best/easiest/free way to make an online "mixtape" these days? I mean a little "album" you can privately share with a friend. It looks like Spotify can do it but requires both people to be on there and $$$. I can't figure out a private method with YouTube (but my head is full of rocks) and searching seems to just throw up apps for making your own music.

And no I am not trying to stand outside a love interest's house with a raised boombox.

You can make a playlist on youtube that is unlisted. That means it will only be accessible via a link and not visible in your profile.

When you create a playlist there's a dropdown that has "public", "unlisted" and "private" to choose from.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Stupid and small and a long shot:

Does anyone know how I would dial German +8000 "international free call" numbers from abroad? e.g. 008000-5555-5555.

I have to contact the manufacturer regarding service on my stethoscope. +49 008000-5555-5555 doesn't work and neither does +49 8000-5555-5555. Mall kiosk for my mobile plan provider figures there obviously should be a way but they don't know what it is. Same thing with the customer service line I called. Skype apparently doesn't connect to free numbers in Germany at all, whether from within or outside the country. And the manufacturer's website doesn't list any numbers in any other format. They aren't responding to emails. I need my stethoscope.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
It's shield bug time in the US. How do I deal with the bastards?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The prefix for toll free numbers in Germany is 0800, not 08000. Looking at some examples, seven digits after that is common, so the number of fives in your example doesn't match that either.

Looking here, you should end up with something like this: +49 800 xxxxxxx or 0049 800 xxxxxxx

Don't expect it to be toll free when calling from abroad.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bright Bart posted:

Stupid and small and a long shot:

Does anyone know how I would dial German +8000 "international free call" numbers from abroad? e.g. 008000-5555-5555.

I have to contact the manufacturer regarding service on my stethoscope. +49 008000-5555-5555 doesn't work and neither does +49 8000-5555-5555. Mall kiosk for my mobile plan provider figures there obviously should be a way but they don't know what it is. Same thing with the customer service line I called. Skype apparently doesn't connect to free numbers in Germany at all, whether from within or outside the country. And the manufacturer's website doesn't list any numbers in any other format. They aren't responding to emails. I need my stethoscope.

You might be able to call the "Auskunft" and get your call forwarded from there. If it is a serious emergency try it. They charge money and probably won't speak enough English to understand what you tell them.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Flipperwaldt posted:

The prefix for toll free numbers in Germany is 0800, not 08000. Looking at some examples, seven digits after that is common, so the number of fives in your example doesn't match that either.

Looking here, you should end up with something like this: +49 800 xxxxxxx or 0049 800 xxxxxxx

Don't expect it to be toll free when calling from abroad.

Hmm. I'm really confused now. I'm specifically trying contact "International free call +8000-CALL-ERKA (008000-2255-3752)" listed at https://www.erka.org/en/service. It's the same number listed on their Contact page so presumably isn't a one-off typo. I've tried removing the extra zero but no luck. Combined with ignoring my emails I'd assume it's a deadbeat company but they're one of the largest brands behind Litmmann, Welch Allyn, and Reister.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bright Bart posted:

Hmm. I'm really confused now. I'm specifically trying contact "International free call +8000-CALL-ERKA (008000-2255-3752)" listed at https://www.erka.org/en/service. It's the same number listed on their Contact page so presumably isn't a one-off typo. I've tried removing the extra zero but no luck. Combined with ignoring my emails I'd assume it's a deadbeat company but they're one of the largest brands behind Litmmann, Welch Allyn, and Reister.

Have you tried dialing +8000-CALL-ERKA with nothing prefacing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^ e: great minds etc

Bright Bart posted:

Oh I see. Since this is set up for international calls specifically, have you tried dialing it verbatim, as is, aka just 008000-2255-3752
?