Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The overwhelming consensus always seems to be that CS4 is the controversial game and everything else before or after is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I know its a game excuse in Reverie to cycle its characters and huge cast when characters choose to stay behind for reasons and others meet up with you. But it works and makes sense in the world. Like right now, everyone has their own jobs and tasks. And knowing that they choose to stay behind because they feel they're better help here or need to go somewhere else. It makes them have more autonomy rather than being glued to Rean and llyod.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Unfortunately, though, no one has come up with the concept of handcuffs or restraints yet.

No prison in all the multiverse can hold an antagonist who the plot needs to recycle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Veryslightlymad posted:

Holy gently caress Zemura actually has a prison.
Have...have you not played Trails to Azure?

Yinlock posted:

the standout being Elie's obviously, yeah let's just make an enemy(s) weak to every element for a few turns that sounds fine. also it can't be resisted.
As great as that Craft is, Towa having Weakness stapled to her Detector Craft is honestly ridiculous.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

GateOfD posted:

I know its a game excuse in Reverie to cycle its characters and huge cast when characters choose to stay behind for reasons and others meet up with you. But it works and makes sense in the world. Like right now, everyone has their own jobs and tasks. And knowing that they choose to stay behind because they feel they're better help here or need to go somewhere else. It makes them have more autonomy rather than being glued to Rean and llyod.

It is a bit refreshing to see specific focuses on dynamics between specific characters, so it is interesting in terms of story... But no, it doesn't make sense most of the time. Especially for cases like going after a place under siege by the enemy strong enough to take on 4-6 of the SSS at once with TWO people, while the entire big squad you recruited just sits on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing.

Thoom posted:

No prison in all the multiverse can hold an antagonist who the plot needs to recycle.

But it's utterly bizarre for police officers to not even TRY.

(very vague Azure finale, probably does not even need tags.) They know the location where the criminals are, they have lots of time to prepare, yet they do not bring any restraints of any kind, nor do they even do the simple task of disarming the defeated criminal.

EDIT: Actually, do you know what, VerySlightlyMad is right, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for there to be an actual "concrete walls and steel bars" prison anywhere in Zemuria, because, a-loving-pparently, only people who agree that they should be imprisoned and request to be imprisoned actually go there. Presumably, once someone has decided "I'm now sufficiently sorry, now" or "I don't want to be here anymore, can I go," the guards open the cells and let them out. Otherwise, I cannot fathom any reason at all why (Reverie) Arios MacLaine is just roaming around free and clear despite all his crimes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 30, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

But it's utterly bizarre for police officers to not even TRY.

(very vague Azure finale, probably does not even need tags.) They know the location where the criminals are, they have lots of time to prepare, yet they do not bring any restraints of any kind, nor do they even do the simple task of disarming the defeated criminal.

Bold of you to think they could physically bring enough restraints to stop a group capable of effectively attacking an entire city. They got into the Azure Tree by basically running past, not fighting them.

Like seriously, if they make restraints out of loving Zemurian Ore, that'd just basically give them to the Constellation for free.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cyouni posted:

Bold of you to think they could physically bring enough restraints to stop a group capable of effectively attacking an entire city. They got into the Azure Tree by basically running past, not fighting them.

Like seriously, if they make restraints out of loving Zemurian Ore, that'd just basically give them to the Constellation for free.

Not this again. I've had this argument before, probably even with you. I'll try a different way to explain:

Here's the problem, it's the same problem Falcom has in every aspect of its writing: It's trying to have things both ways, and thus there is no actual logical consistency to be had.

1. There are known people - both "good" and "bad" - out there which are just TOO STRONG to ever be meaningfully restrained or detained.
2. The world and laws are written close to our real-life laws, and do not take into account the existence of such super-strong people.

There's a contradiction in those two facts: Namely that necessity breeds invention.

In a world which was logically consistent, either society would have found a way to restrain such super-strong people, OR else it would have a legal code which takes super-strong people into account and thus requires the use of methods which are different from our real-life laws.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 30, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

In a world which was logically consistent, either society would have found a way to restrain such super-strong people, OR else it would have a legal code which takes super-strong people into account and thus requires the use of methods which are different from our real-life laws.

(CS4) So the Gnomes, the people with the best tech around, couldn't restrain Rean - not even close to the most powerful person around - in the middle of their base, in a prison designed explicitly for him. What makes you think anyone else would be doing better? (Also, do I really have to compile a list of all the fiction which can't contain superpowered criminals?)

As I recall, you were also the one who floated summary execution as the alternative, which I'm not even going to dignify with a response except to say that even Campanella, on-screen, goes "what the gently caress" at that.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 30, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I note that no one has tried to justify why it was impossible to even do something as simple as merely confiscate the defeated baddies weapons.

If you have an objection, explain what I got wrong here, or explain how those things are not a sign of a logical inconsistency:

quote:

1. There are known people - both "good" and "bad" - out there which are just TOO STRONG to ever be meaningfully restrained or detained.
2. The world and laws are written close to our real-life laws, and do not take into account the existence of such super-strong people.

Your outrage directed in my direction does not upset me, or affect me in any way, because I am not the one who built the world which has the inconsistency in it. That was Falcom. I accept no blame for that. I merely pointed out the contradiction and extrapolated two alternate way the contradiction could be resolved.

P.S. The existence of other fiction which also has "too strong to be restrained" characters merely demonstrates that the inherent contradiction is present in other works as well, it does not absolve this one.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 30, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your outrage directed in my direction does not upset me, or affect me in any way, because I am not the one who built the world which has the inconsistency in it. That was Falcom. I accept no blame for that. I merely pointed out the contradiction and extrapolated two alternate way the contradiction could be resolved.

P.S. The existence of other fiction which also has "too strong to be restrained" characters merely demonstrates that the inherent contradiction is present in other works as well, it does not absolve this one.
for a guy who hates falcom villains you sure do like posting like one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
These are science-fantasy JRPGs for teenagers and young adults, not dark TV dramas.

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Why does not Mario not simply kill Bowser? He has shown the ability to best him in battle time and again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i was gonna make a joke about sailor moon but come to think of it sailor moon does kill the gently caress out of her villains

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

What if we just dug a really, really deep pit and had McBurn fall into it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if mcburn drew more road on the side of a canyon wall and then when we ran up to it we somehow ran through it and further up the road like it was actually there and then mcburn was confused and tried to run after us but he just ran facefirst into the canyon wall and broke his teeth and fell over.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

take away McBurn's power by dying his hair brown & giving him a bowl cut

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NBA FAN !!!!!!! posted:

Why does not Mario not simply kill Bowser? He has shown the ability to best him in battle time and again

Maybe one of these days he will. When Miyamoto is on his deathbed, he decided that Matio cannot continue after he passes, and demands that Mario finally "end things for good" in the next game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what if campanella turned someone into a pepper and then someone ate it, that would be really hosed up right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe one of these days he will. When Miyamoto is on his deathbed, he decided that Matio cannot continue after he passes, and demands that Mario finally "end things for good" in the next game.
marios thrown bowser into lava so hot that his skin melted off and he became a skeleton and he came back the next game. what if bowser is simply immortal

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

marios thrown bowser into lava so hot that his skin melted off and he became a skeleton and he came back the next game. what if bowser is simply immortal

Nothing is truly immortal. Mario will prove that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Some Numbers posted:

Have...have you not played Trails to Azure?

Honestly? No.

Trails to Zero, while something I enjoyed, was probably my least favorite game of the series, and was honestly boring for parts in a way that makes me reluctant to replay it. And almost literally everything in my house broke in the same year which has ruined my finances for a little while.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You're put in prison in Sky FC :mad:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You're put in jail in Sky FC.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

As great as that Craft is, Towa having Weakness stapled to her Detector Craft is honestly ridiculous.

Alfin has that too. All "guest"-type characters have something nutty like that really.

Except Victor who's kinda just Worse Laura now, that's power creep for you sucks to suck buddy.

(he's not actually bad at all it's just funny).

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Yinlock posted:

Alfin has that too. All "guest"-type characters have something nutty like that really.

Except Victor who's kinda just Worse Laura now, that's power creep for you sucks to suck buddy.

(he's not actually bad at all it's just funny).

Victor is there to give you Woden, which is notably busted in a game with some pretty busted Master Quartz.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

take away McBurn's power by dying his hair brown & giving him a bowl cut

NOT THE COTTON CANDY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

*gaol

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Terper posted:

You're put in prison in Sky FC :mad:

Veryslightlymad posted:

To be fair, Estelle and Joshua are actually stuck in jail until Maybelle comes to bail them out (though we know Olivier could have probably busted out whenever).

But then in the next game, after a few levels, Estelle's locked in a room on the Glorious and escapes almost immediately.

Even the Capuas and Gilbert escaped from jail at the end of Sky FC! It's very hard to contain people when they don't want to be contained.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Zemuria only has the one super metal in limited quantities around the people that can bareknuckle brawl gundams halfway up the power totem pole.

Remember when that was the 3rd coolest thing anyone had done in the series back in CS1? Good times. Lloyd at the end of Azure and riding a Dragon in SC 1st and 2nd. Who knows what the rankings are now though lol.

Speaking of prison, I was very sad to not see Ernest, the best villain in Zero after his Azure redemption in Reverie. Elie continues to get deprived of meaningful relevance.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

(though we know Olivier could have probably busted out whenever).

Olivier could have used his phone call (or his artifact) to contact the Erebonian embassy and have Mueller drop by to post his bail, but the odds would be 50/50 between Mueller paying the officials at Haken gate to have him released and Mueller paying the officials at Haken gate to keep him locked up for a little while longer, just to make a point.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Even if you could restrain them, you gotta have some kind of ultra-secret blacksite set up or their homies are just gonna show up and bust 'em out. Even then it's just a matter of time.

Also can't everyone in Ouroboros loving teleport?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EDIT: Actually, do you know what, VerySlightlyMad is right, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for there to be an actual "concrete walls and steel bars" prison anywhere in Zemuria,

normal criminals still exist

obviously you're not gonna lock up mcburn or whoever but the local pie thief still needs somewhere to spend a a couple days after getting into a wacky chase sequence with the local bracer guild

e: unless most of zemuria are advocates of prison abolition, in which case good for them

e2: actually you could probably lock up mcburn as he wouldn't really care either way, he'd just walk out when he felt like it though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 1, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cyouni posted:

(CS4) So the Gnomes, the people with the best tech around, couldn't restrain Rean - not even close to the most powerful person around - in the middle of their base, in a prison designed explicitly for him. What makes you think anyone else would be doing better? (Also, do I really have to compile a list of all the fiction which can't contain superpowered criminals?)

As I recall, you were also the one who floated summary execution as the alternative, which I'm not even going to dignify with a response except to say that even Campanella, on-screen, goes "what the gently caress" at that.

tbf in terms of brute force Curse Rean was incredibly strong, he was just straight-up slicing forcefields in half iirc. nobody really expected him to suddenly jump in power like that, probably due to the curse gaining steam. Also Celine was there but iirc she didn't really do much besides make sure he didn't get himself killed

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 1, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

sometimes wonder when the ultimate craft move is a metaphor or actual superpowers.

some of the police/inspector ones where they just shoot their guns a bunch of times sure. the magic limit break type ones.
but is llyod really going dragon fist on his target, I think its just a metaphor for him. I like to think of it that way, cause compared to the other characters, isn't he just kind of the most normal guy ever with no hidden bloodline ability or lineage, and just hangs on with his heart of justice

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tita canonically has a giant minigun in her bag.

Also, his name is spelled "Lloyd"

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Lloyd is absolutely propelling himself to the stratosphere and sonic spinning down into the field.

It depends and in stupid ways, the minigun is a really boring example, but the like actual ability ones like Gaius work, the skills like Rean and Claire, work, the uh, space content? Assuredly not sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the crafts are real, especially the space content.

Lammy can turn into an orbital weapons platform that Millium pilots into the outer atmosphere to rain destruction down on her foes. That's just a thing he can do.