Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

jadebullet posted:

So I was just reminded that Desolator Space Marines exist since they are coming out soon.

Has anyone managed to do any conversions to make that design look good?

I'm going to cut the guns all up, attach the "tubes" to the SM forearms, then put them in Super Sentai poses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Seeing this in the Goonhammer review for the codex:

quote:

Terminator squads saw a change to their Fury of the First ability – they now merely get +1 to hit the Oath of Moment target and no longer ignore modifiers to their hit and wound rolls against the Oath of Moment target. Quite the big hit to terminator squads – especially against any sort of wound modifier as before they could power through these with the old Oath of Moment. The Terminator Sergeant now has the capacity to take a power fist instead of his power weapon.
Wondering if there will be an index update soon to also nerf Wolf Guard Terminators with their "Wolf Guard" ability that's the same thing, or perhaps the SW get to keep that until their codex drops?

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

SuperKlaus posted:

Man impcat is actually awesome. It doesn't have everything you could want (I'd like corsair voidscarred) but it has most of it or close enough and each model it has that I'm working with is a huge boon.

It does or it doesn’t have the Voidscarred models? Mine are also lovingly and obsessively assembled and I was curious how helpful you found impcat for those in particular before I throw $3 at them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Allegedly according to GH Desolation marines look better in person but idk how real that take is

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to seeing what the third parties come up with if I ever need them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
If I ever need desolators I think that I'll pick up one of the HH heavy weapon kits and just give a squad of intercessors some missile launchers and extra techy bits

mooshiga posted:

It does or it doesn’t have the Voidscarred models? Mine are also lovingly and obsessively assembled and I was curious how helpful you found impcat for those in particular before I throw $3 at them.

It doesn't look like there's a corsair model specifically in the community pack but there are a few different elfdar. If you were really ambitious you could always try making one I suppose.
The IMPCat reddit has the community pack as well as other resources hidden in their "about" section.

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Awesome, thank you very much.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Unfortunate for me that the 1st company themed force I was building looks kinda bad right now, with terminators and sternguard getting nerfed.

Infiltrating a 10 man terminator squad should be fun though.

DeceasedHorse fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 30, 2023

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I assume smash captains will be back within six months to a year when they release the first of what will undoubtedly be many alternate jump pack captain models.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

tangy yet delightful posted:

Seeing this in the Goonhammer review for the codex:

Wondering if there will be an index update soon to also nerf Wolf Guard Terminators with their "Wolf Guard" ability that's the same thing, or perhaps the SW get to keep that until their codex drops?

Deathwing Terminators are the same I think, only their rule is "Deathwing".

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have desolation marines and I think they look fine. The sergeant holding his vertical looks the dumbest but I just didn’t build that pose, problem solved. They’re not my favorites or anything but honestly the hate has always seemed to me a little overblown.

Putting Horus heresy missile launchers on some random Primaris bodies seems like an easy and cheap solution if you don’t like them but still want to run the rules.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Can I just ask what in the absolute rat gently caress are gw thinking with the price of the new marine combat patrol? The terminator librarian is made of solid gold or something?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eediot Jedi posted:

Can I just ask what in the absolute rat gently caress are gw thinking with the price of the new marine combat patrol? The terminator librarian is made of solid gold or something?

Terminators - $65
Terminator Librarian - $38
Terminator Captain - $40 probably
Infernus Marines - $60?

Combat Patrol - $160

Seperate - $203

So I guess it's kinda a discount still

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Eej posted:

Terminators - $65
Terminator Librarian - $38
Terminator Captain - $40 probably
Infernus Marines - $60?

Combat Patrol - $160

Seperate - $203

So I guess it's kinda a discount still

The mid tier starter set has everything but the librarian plus a whole bunch of nids for significantly less than the combat patrol. Even the high teir starter is not that much more than the combat patrol, has the lib, has the nids, plus some terrain.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The starter sets are always better deals than the combat patrols. It's just the combat patrols are evergreen. Same thing happened to Necrons.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
There are still leviathan boxes out there so just buy that now while you can

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
x-post from painting thread, 1 termie to go and then it will be time to buy another box because who the hell runs 5 termies

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

x-post from painting thread, 1 termie to go and then it will be time to buy another box because who the hell runs 5 termies

csm has some pretty decent herohammer and it's encouraging chosen msus. terms could go the same way if there's ever a good term character that isn't abbadon

i like how the unit leader looks like he's dribbling the head, that rules

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I like that he's holding the head fastidiously from the top, like it's still dripping and he doesn't want to get gunk on his fingers.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Played my first game with my ragtag army yesterday and had a lot of fun. Got stomped into the dirt real bad tho!

My opponent was playing Adeptus Custodes and was just generally a way more experience player. I also just sort of forgot my own unit rules sometimes, plus got a little information overloaded towards the end of the game and made some mistakes by just doing things wrong and therefore not doing damage, correctly, etc.

I definitely need to think through force composition though, because man I just could not really deal appreciable damage to any of his units. And even when I did, he was just generally able to spend a CP and bring the dude back, plus his guys just hit much, much harder than mine. I also didn't realize that damage isn't actually resolved at a unit level, but at a model level. So one trick he used to great effect was to leave a guy with a higher save with his base just barely touching the ruins that were in our map, which he could then assign all the damage to until he died and thus managed to tank a truly insane amount of gunfire without me really being able to hurt anything.

The cover rules are kind of whacky in general. When reading the rules, it mentioned that the unit has to be "wholly inside" the piece of terrain for a ruin to count as cover, but I guess wholly inside just means any part of the base touching the model's base counts for cover? Wild

Going to play again on Wednesday and try to put some of the things I learned in practice. I think also that I sort of want to change my force composition to feature more units with less model counts. Like instead of having a full unit of 10 battle sisters, instead having two units of 5 specifically so that they can move around more and die faster for miracle dice to power the rest of my heavy hitters

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 1, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The cover rules are kind of whacky in general. When reading the rules, it mentioned that the unit has to be "wholly inside" the piece of terrain for a ruin to count as cover, but I guess wholly inside just means any part of the base touching the model's base counts for cover? Wild

Absolutely not. That "my model is touching the ruins" thing is how it worked in 9th. In 10th the rule for ruins is a model has to be: "wholly within (meaning the entirety of the model has to be inside) or not fully visible to every model in the attacking unit" to get Benefit of Cover.

They also can't get BoC if they have a 3+ or better Armor Save and are being targeted by AP0 weapons.

EDIT: There's good diagrams of what "wholly within" looks like on the 40K App

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Devorum posted:

Absolutely not. That "my model is touching the ruins" thing is how it worked in 9th. In 10th the rule for ruins is a model has to be: "wholly within (meaning the entirety of the model has to be inside) or not fully visible to every model in the attacking unit" to get Benefit of Cover.

They also can't get BoC if they have a 3+ or better Armor Save and are being targeted by AP0 weapons.

EDIT: There's good diagrams of what "wholly within" looks like on the 40K App

I knew that sounded wrong!!! But I didn't want to be weird about it and figured I'd just take my lumps and check later since we were playing with zero stakes

It's funny too because I checked with some other players after the game and they seemed to agree, but it didn't sound right in the rules. It resulted in weird situations where there was literally perfect line of sight between my unit and his, like we're both on the same side of the ruins and he's magically got cover because a dude's got his toe on the piece of scenery

Gonna remember this for next time and brush up on it so I can point out that's not how it works

Now I sorta wonder what else he was doing that's not correct, though I don't think he was trying to cheat me or something like that

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If terrain blocks visibility of any part of the model it counts as Benefit of Cover. Cover is super easy to get in 10th. If one of Celestine's angel wings is behind a wall she's in cover!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

If terrain blocks visibility of any part of the model it counts as Benefit of Cover. Cover is super easy to get in 10th. If one of Celestine's angel wings is behind a wall she's in cover!

Right, that part makes sense.

But the situation was like this (bad mspaint ahoy):

My exorcist was shooting at his unit from pretty close range. That model with the red line had his toe on the ruin base, but there was no obstructions at all otherwise, literally like a straight shot right at them

Does the unit edit: model indicated have cover in this case? It doesn't really make sense to me that they would from the wording of Benefit of Cover rules here:

Which is fine honestly, just something to be aware of!

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 1, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

There is some weird ambiguity in how the rules are written. I can see where somebody could reasonably think a toe in the ruin makes the model "not fully visible" because we're treating the ruins as abstractions with invisible walls and doors and windows and stairs and ladders already.

I suppose it matters for the rectangle ruin you drew if the model's toe actually IS near/behind a physical representation of a wall, or is the toe merely over the agreed upon abstraction of the footprint?

(I'm new to 10th myself, so I actually have no idea what the correct answer is!)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

coelomate posted:

There is some weird ambiguity in how the rules are written. I can see where somebody could reasonably think a toe in the ruin makes the model "not fully visible" because we're treating the ruins as abstractions with invisible walls and doors and windows and stairs and ladders already.

I suppose it matters for the rectangle ruin you drew if the model's toe actually IS near/behind a physical representation of a wall, or is the toe merely over the agreed upon abstraction of the footprint?

(I'm new to 10th myself, so I actually have no idea what the correct answer is!)

The ruin was like, a sorta boxy house thing, so the toe in this case was near a wall. Definitely not behind anything though. I could totally see it going either way. Like the thing with having a little arm of your model behind cover counting sorta makes sense to me because it's all an abstraction, so like in theory they can kinda sorta duck behind the wall real quick when they start taking fire or something.

It's for sure ambiguous. Honestly I mostly just want to for sure know the answer, because it seemed super useful if you have a model that can be extra tanky and can position it so that they can get their toe on a piece of cover.

My opponent was a nice dude, so as mentioned I don't think I was getting scammed as a new player or something lol. Just wanted to make sure my understanding of how it functions makes sense

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Right, that part makes sense.

But the situation was like this (bad mspaint ahoy):

My exorcist was shooting at his unit from pretty close range. That model with the red line had his toe on the ruin base, but there was no obstructions at all otherwise, literally like a straight shot right at them

Does the unit indicated have cover in this case? It doesn't really make sense to me that they would from the wording of Benefit of Cover rules here:

Which is fine honestly, just something to be aware of!

Going by that graphic, they did not have BoC. Unless they have positioned the model so that some part of it isn't visible, it doesn't count. It's also on a per model basis, not a unit basis.

It's something worth discussing with the scene so there's no misunderstandings.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

coelomate posted:

I don't think it's ambiguous. Regarding line of sight, ruins (and other terrain) is to my understanding not an abstraction. Only the stuff that is actually physically there matters. If your ruin is a flat plastic rectangle with the text "RUIN" written on it, then it never hinders line of sight. Any rule that depends on blocking line of sight is thus not applicable. Other rules (e.g. reduced movement) depend on footprint, not line of sight, and so would still apply.

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

I think part of the issue is, in my experience, a lot of wargamers don't really read the rules. They maybe read the rules, once, four editions ago, and each edition since they've skimmed the changes to get the gist of things and make bad assumptions about what has and hasn't changed. Coupled with the fact that people don't want to make a fuss when playing a casual game, that just leads to sloppy play that's completely malice-free because the application of half-remembered rules from six years ago is almost never challenged.

EDIT: not saying this is necessarily bad, I've definitely both misremembered rules and failed to challenge people on things because I've worried about seeming like a sweaty try-hard. But it can be a bit baffling to navigate when you're new to a game or a gaming group.

paperface fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 1, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
That Flesh Eater Court warband would probably make some killer Drukhari grotesques.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

paperface posted:

I think part of the issue is, in my experience, a lot of wargamers don't really read the rules. They maybe read the rules, once, four editions ago, and each edition since they've skimmed the changes to get the gist of things and make bad assumptions about what has and hasn't changed.

This is also my experience. A lot of people think they remember rules better than they actually do.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

That Flesh Eater Court warband would probably make some killer Drukhari grotesques.

They're Ogres actually and not FEC, but they probably could be.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Athas posted:

I don't think it's ambiguous. Regarding line of sight, ruins (and other terrain) is to my understanding not an abstraction. Only the stuff that is actually physically there matters. If your ruin is a flat plastic rectangle with the text "RUIN" written on it, then it never hinders line of sight. Any rule that depends on blocking line of sight is thus not applicable. Other rules (e.g. reduced movement) depend on footprint, not line of sight, and so would still apply.

The “visibility” section of the Ruins rule notes that models cannot “see over or through” it, meaning your statement “If your ruin is a flat plastic rectangle with the text "RUIN" written on it, then it never hinders line of sight” is wrong - you can’t draw line of site to a model standing behind a flat RUIN paper from a model on the other side of it.

And in practice, many ruin models will effectively have a chunk of their footprint that are those flat and featureless areas.

It’s a little janky!

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Had a tough game yesterday against new Tyranids -

I think it was the first game in my group where my opponent (who I hadn't played before) wasn't really invested in making sure we both got the most out of the game. He didn't really discuss his army at all at the start of the game (only responded to specific questions about specific units) and was real quick on the gotchas when he had me on the backfoot.

I conceded turn two because I wasn't having any fun, (I was losing badly, but that doesn't normally stop me).

Kind of a drag, my first game in like a month to have go that way

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I hate to say it, but looking back on it one of my opponents at the tournament on the weekend was definitely cheating. He was playing Votann and I know nothing about them so I decided to read up on all of the units today so I can be better prepared next time I face the army.

Since I am very new to 40k I always let my opponent know I am new and let me know if I am playing wrong or messing up a rule. Here is what happened. Let me know if I am wrong about any of this.

1. His Sagituars all had the beam cannon equipped, which I now know has a 24-inch range. I remember measuring the range to them for my exocrine shots and it was 35 ish. He did not move them for most of the game and shot my exocrine. I asked their range and he said 36. I didn't question this.

2. Turn one he tried to bring his reserves into my deployment zone. I was really sure I was right and this was not allowed. However, I know I didn't know everything. As soon as I suggested we call a judge he pulled them off the board. He is a very experienced player from 5th on who told me he had "over 40" games in 10th. Re-reading the rules I see I was very right.

3. Also, his units were moving way faster than they should have been. His troops were moving way faster than 5 inches and they were not advancing.

I'm sure I missed more and this may or may not have changed the outcome. I'm just going to have to have my tablet on me during games so I can look up my opponent's units during games now.

Also, he came in the top 10 of our 60+ player event....

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

coelomate posted:

The “visibility” section of the Ruins rule notes that models cannot “see over or through” it, meaning your statement “If your ruin is a flat plastic rectangle with the text "RUIN" written on it, then it never hinders line of sight” is wrong - you can’t draw line of site to a model standing behind a flat RUIN paper from a model on the other side of it.

And in practice, many ruin models will effectively have a chunk of their footprint that are those flat and featureless areas.

It’s a little janky!

It continues to say that "models can see into this terrain feature normally, and models that are wholly within this feature can see out of it normally".

If it's a flat plastic rectangle, then it never blocks LOS in those circumstances. You still can't see through it, and if it has walls and windows, then LOS works normally and you can see through windows and gaps...but not walls. And that's the context in contention.

This is honestly the first edition where the terrain rules aren't very janky. They're pretty clear, and even have diagrams.

As others have said, I don't think it was malicious...just the result of not really reading the new rules and jumbling in rules from previous editions.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 2, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Raged posted:

I hate to say it, but looking back on it one of my opponents at the tournament on the weekend was definitely cheating. He was playing Votann and I know nothing about them so I decided to read up on all of the units today so I can be better prepared next time I face the army.

Since I am very new to 40k I always let my opponent know I am new and let me know if I am playing wrong or messing up a rule. Here is what happened. Let me know if I am wrong about any of this.

1. His Sagituars all had the beam cannon equipped, which I now know has a 24-inch range. I remember measuring the range to them for my exocrine shots and it was 35 ish. He did not move them for most of the game and shot my exocrine. I asked their range and he said 36. I didn't question this.

2. Turn one he tried to bring his reserves into my deployment zone. I was really sure I was right and this was not allowed. However, I know I didn't know everything. As soon as I suggested we call a judge he pulled them off the board. He is a very experienced player from 5th on who told me he had "over 40" games in 10th. Re-reading the rules I see I was very right.

3. Also, his units were moving way faster than they should have been. His troops were moving way faster than 5 inches and they were not advancing.

I'm sure I missed more and this may or may not have changed the outcome. I'm just going to have to have my tablet on me during games so I can look up my opponent's units during games now.

Also, he came in the top 10 of our 60+ player event....

Lame. Sorry you had a bad experience, I know that kind of stuff can really take away from gaming.

When the Tau first came out I played against someone who took full advantage of the fact that we didn’t really know much about them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

My friends and I have been trying to work out the intricacies of assigning hits, other than needing to assign hits to models that have already lost wounds, it seems like there are no other restrictions on which models you assign hits to but that leads to interactions that feel wrong like a model getting shot that isn't in LOS of the attacking unit or killing a model that isn't in engagement range. We've settled that if you have a unit where some of the models have cover and others don't, that if you claim BoC then you have to assign those hits to models that have cover but beyond that we don't feel like we've really got a solid grasp of, I dunno, the best practices for this even though RAW it sure looks like we're playing it correctly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/02/warhammer-day-is-coming-and-so-are-all-these-juicy-reveals/

It's warhammer day time, and with that, a preview stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

rantmo posted:

My friends and I have been trying to work out the intricacies of assigning hits, other than needing to assign hits to models that have already lost wounds, it seems like there are no other restrictions on which models you assign hits to but that leads to interactions that feel wrong like a model getting shot that isn't in LOS of the attacking unit or killing a model that isn't in engagement range. We've settled that if you have a unit where some of the models have cover and others don't, that if you claim BoC then you have to assign those hits to models that have cover but beyond that we don't feel like we've really got a solid grasp of, I dunno, the best practices for this even though RAW it sure looks like we're playing it correctly.

It sounds like you've basically got it, although the phrasing is a little reversed; You allocate the hit and then determine if that model is getting cover. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant though.