Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yiggy posted:

Even if it’s just one guy that will increase the squeeze on some of the peripheral actors, does it start to ratchet up pressure and create FOMO for others to flip before they suddenly have zero leverage?

Potentially, more likely on the ‘I was just doing a job’ types and less on the blood gargling true believers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah this guy is part of the Sidney Powell in Coffee County crew. It’s only four people charged in that part of the indictment so not too much room for flipping.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
really been a while since one of those 'haha watch trump wriggle his way out of this one' dudes showed up lol

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

really been a while since one of those 'haha watch trump wriggle his way out of this one' dudes showed up lol

The NY state court just destroyed hundreds of millions to billions of dollars of his net worth. Hard to just "actually" that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Fun video from Legal Eagle that's very much in this thread's wheelhouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhy5Y8xVHS0

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
hehehe he looks like he's gonna pick their noses

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/irs-consultant-charged-leaking-trumps-tax-information-rcna118179

This is from when we found out he only paid $750 a year for 2 years and usually paid $0
Littlejohn is just now being charged.

Charles Littlejohn of Washington, D.C., was working at the IRS as a contractor when he allegedly stole the former president's tax return information and leaked it to the press.
"WASHINGTON — An IRS consultant was charged Friday in connection with wrongfully disclosing tax return information, documents that were, according to a source familiar with the matter, the leaked the tax returns of former President Donald Trump.

Charles Littlejohn, of Washington, D.C., was working at the IRS as a government contractor when he stole tax return information linked with a public official "and thousands of the nation's wealthiest people, including returns and return information dating back more than 15 years," prosecutors said in court documents.

A source confirmed to NBC News that Trump was the unnamed public official whose records had been leaked. CNN was the first to report that the charges pertained to the disclosure of Trump's taxes."

"Littlejohn is charged with one count of unauthorized disclosure of tax returns and return information. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted, the Justice Department said in a news release."

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fun video from Legal Eagle that's very much in this thread's wheelhouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhy5Y8xVHS0

“Now we jump straight down to the F tier or, as Jason Miller described it, the ‘Star Wars Bar’”

[cue upbeat Jizz music]

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OgNar posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/irs-consultant-charged-leaking-trumps-tax-information-rcna118179

This is from when we found out he only paid $750 a year for 2 years and usually paid $0
Littlejohn is just now being charged.

I guess “Guy Robinhood” would have been too on the nose for the writers of this universe.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148.64.0.pdf

quote:

The defendant recently was caught potentially violating his conditions of release, and tried to walk that back in similar fashion. In particular, on September 25, the defendant’s campaign spokesman posted a video of the defendant in the Palmetto State Armory, a Federal Firearms Licensee in Summerville, South Carolina. The video posted by the spokesman showed the defendant holding a Glock pistol with the defendant’s likeness etched into it. The defendant stated, “I’ve got to buy one,” and posed for pictures with the FFL owners. The defendant’s spokesman captioned the video Tweet with the representation that the defendant had purchased the pistol, exclaiming, “President Trump purchases a @GLOCKInc in South Carolina!” The spokesman subsequently deleted the post and retracted his statement, saying that the defendant “did not purchase or take possession of the firearm” (a claim directly contradicted by the video showing the defendant possessing the pistol). See Fox News, Trump campaign walks back claim former president purchased Glock amid questions about legality (Sept. 25, 2023), https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-campaign-walks-back-claim-former-presidentpurchased-glock-amid-questions-about-legality (accessed Sept. 26, 2023). Despite his spokesperson’s retraction, the Defendant then re-posted a video of the incident posted by one of his followers with the caption, “MY PRESIDENT Trump just bought a Golden Glock before his rally in South Carolina after being arrested 4 TIMES in a year.”

The defendant either purchased a gun in violation of the law and his conditions of release, or seeks to benefit from his supporters’ mistaken belief that he did so. It would be a separate federal crime, and thus a violation of the defendant’s conditions of release, for him to purchase a gun while this felony indictment is pending. See 18 U.S.C. § 922(n).

They also bring Trump publicly calling for Milley’s execution directly into play here.

Edit: In a foot note the government asserts that they could even meet the “clear and present danger” threshold if it applied.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 30, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gregday posted:

Article is from 2019.

I linked the old one, sorry. There's a new one where they have the whistleblower's name and new details.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Artificial Kid posted:

“Now we jump straight down to the F tier or, as Jason Miller described it, the ‘Star Wars Bar’”

[cue upbeat Jizz music]

The cowards at Disney are trying to rename it to Jatz music.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Caros posted:

If I was ever gonna root for the Streisand Effect to take off, it would be now.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Jazt just sounds like the past tense of jizz.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

Way too late on that :laffo:

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Angry_Ed posted:

Way too late on that :laffo:

That opportunity came and went.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Republicans posted:

Jazt just sounds like the past tense of jizz.

Gonna go and listen to some smooth jizz music

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Edit: too late

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Murgos posted:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148.64.0.pdf

They also bring Trump publicly calling for Milley’s execution directly into play here.

Edit: In a foot note the government asserts that they could even meet the “clear and present danger” threshold if it applied.

This is just going to be another example of "If you or I did this we would be locked up right now but when Trump does it there are no consequences".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mutata posted:

If I was ever gonna root for the Streisand Effect to take off, it would be now.

“The music formerly known as jizz”

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Trying to make jizz more palatable for the general public

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It'll never take, Jizz-wailer just rolls off the tongue so nicely. Jatz-wailer by contrast, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The joke is oral sex.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jizz-whaler. Moby Dick. Is this anything?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mutata posted:

Jizz-whaler. Moby Dick. Is this anything?

Well he was a sperm whale

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
News happened while people were too busy posting about jizz.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/29/politics/jeffrey-clark-fulton-county-removal/index.html

Long story short: None of the trials are being removed to federal court. Clark simply didn't have any evidence that what he did was part of his job, so the fact that it was a crime didn't even get to enter into it. Pretty much the same for the fake electors.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xand_Man posted:

Trying to make jizz more palatable for the general public

Didn't know Disney was buying Dole.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

They get a double benefit of lowering expenses on providing Dole Whips at the parks this way.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Judges should start twitch accounts and livestream proceedings.

"Before I sentence the defendant, I have to remind my viewers to hit that follow button, and don't forget to use your AmazonLegal Prime free subscription! We gotta run a pre-roll ad, so non-subscribers can follow the verdict in chat while the ads are running..."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kchama posted:

News happened while people were too busy posting about jizz.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/29/politics/jeffrey-clark-fulton-county-removal/index.html

Long story short: None of the trials are being removed to federal court. Clark simply didn't have any evidence that what he did was part of his job, so the fact that it was a crime didn't even get to enter into it. Pretty much the same for the fake electors.

I read the opinion on Schafer's request for removal and I think there is maybe something in it that's relevant for Cheeseboy's trial.

Last week Chesebro's lawyers went on the lawfare podcast and made some mildly impassioned arguments that 'no one understands the electoral count act' where they posit that since the safe harbor date was Dec 8th and there was pending litigation on the 8th it doesn't matter that they submitted a second set of electors to congress on the 14th (when there was no longer any conflict) That after the 8th the ECA moves responsibility for determining which set of electors are proper to congress and the lawful set with the governors signature doesn't really matter unless there is a tie in congress. And he was just advising people of that anyway as lawyers do so no harm, really.

However, in his ruling Jones states that there is no provision for 'contingent electors' in the constitution or the ECA and even more importantly that the constitution explicitly charges the STATE LEGISLATURE* with determining the manner of the elector balloting and their transfer to congress. This is in the context that thus the three republican electors can't be federal officers but also Jones states that indeed this makes them not electors at all, not even contingent electors since they didn't follow Georgia statute for either position.

That is, Georgia law on who is an elector and more importantly who isn't and what is a proper electoral ballot and what is a fraudulent ballot and who is an elector and who isn't an elector and who can transmit an electoral ballot is supreme.

Which, to me, seems to strongly infer that Chesebro, in advising his clients to ignore Georgia law on electors and bank on the supremacy of the safe harbor deadline (which is a limit on congress really and as such doesn't seem like a limit on the state) was advising his clients to commit felonies in Georgia.

*"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress"

edit: The above quotation I think also applies to Eastman's argument re: Pence. I think that since the choosing of the slate of electors is delegated to the state then congress has no authority to substitute a slate not chosen in accordance with the states laws regardless of safe harbor, or any other, transmittal deadlines.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 1, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1708559965718229474

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if he realizes that he already lost that case and all we're doing now is figuring out by how much?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No one involved in that fundraising email; writing it, sending it, or receiving it; cares about any of that, heh.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Simplex posted:

I thought the deal with Trump is that the large banks weren't willing to do business with him, and he was having to rely on the banks who had permissive stances on fraud and money laundering, such as Deutsche Bank.

It's even skeezier than that. As he was suing Deutsche Bank, the International Private Bank division within DB was the one who was working on securing a loan from who the fck knows which Russians for him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

V-Men posted:

It's even skeezier than that. As he was suing Deutsche Bank, the International Private Bank division within DB was the one who was working on securing a loan from who the fck knows which Russians for him.

I can't *wait* for those rocks to start getting turned over. There's been rumors for years that the only reason he existed financially was because he was in so much debt. Foreign actors could rope him in with offers to launder a hundred million here and a hundred million there for his cut off the top and they all knew he'd jump at the chance. If any of that starts to turn out to be true then the corporate death sentence for Trump Org. is the littlest domino in the meme.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't *wait* for those rocks to start getting turned over. There's been rumors for years that the only reason he existed financially was because he was in so much debt. Foreign actors could rope him in with offers to launder a hundred million here and a hundred million there for his cut off the top and they all knew he'd jump at the chance. If any of that starts to turn out to be true then the corporate death sentence for Trump Org. is the littlest domino in the meme.

The Trump Inc. podcast was pretty good about some of this. I don't know how much was actually illegal vs just scummy. They covered one where a foreign company licensed the Trump brand, built a luxury apartment building whose sole purpose was for criminal groups to launder money by selling luxury apartments.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Since our big wet boy keeps ranting about the value of his company, it’s worth noting that he values his name at $3-billion as a brand. He can’t seem to understand why that vaporous figment isn’t being translated into a hard value (in the same breath that he says his valuations are worthless).

He resides in this weird bubble, which is now colliding constantly with reality, and he has no clue what to make of it. It’s awesome.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Since our big wet boy keeps ranting about the value of his company, it’s worth noting that he values his name at $3-billion as a brand. He can’t seem to understand why that vaporous figment isn’t being translated into a hard value (in the same breath that he says his valuations are worthless).

He resides in this weird bubble, which is now colliding constantly with reality, and he has no clue what to make of it. It’s awesome.

It’s like in the cartoon where Wylie E. Coyote can walk on air no problem until he looks down.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PainterofCrap posted:

Hey isn’t his brand wholly owned by one of those entities that no longer exists and can’t hold property? Couldn’t someone buy that at auction?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oracle posted:

It’s like in the cartoon where Wylie E. Coyote can walk on air no problem until he looks down.

Someone needs to buy him a tiny and extremely frilly umbrella. He’ll be needing it sooner than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Amazing!
https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1708851585869140399