Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I suppose the cat could count as an acquaintance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the cat is clearly closer than an acquaintance, if Joker smuggles him to school every day!

also he is not acquaintances, plural, either way

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It is kind of weird that Kasumi refers to Hamiru "and his acquaintances." Either it's a translation thing, or there was an earlier draft of her awakening that involved the rest of the gang somehow. There was at most one acquaintance involved!

I can confirm it is not a translation thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 150: 10/11: Epic Livestream Fails

This update contains content from Part 121 of the original LP.

After School → Evening

Music: Alright

This VIP life has been incredible! I could get used to this!
Agreed, Lady Ann! The bar has certainly been raised for next time!
It’s a bit premature to plan for the next party during this one…
By the way, you guys are going to take off those headbands before the press conference, right? It’s kind of…
Nah.
No.
Futaba threatened me if I take them off.
Dance, monkey!
I hope this all goes smoothly… I feel like everything’s been going almost too well lately…
Oh, that’s just anxiety. They have pills for that now.

Hey, isn’t it almost time? You know, for the press conference.

Father…

The following contains excerpts from the chat of a stream covering this event, captured before it was removed for breaking the website’s TOS. We have provided these messages to better contextualize this event in the public consciousness.

Also, due to the international popularity of the Phantom Thieves at this time, there were actually a handful of mirrors of this stream available on English-language websites, but the chats were all unusably racist. Therefore, we have chosen to translate select messages from a Japanese mirror instead. Thank you for your understanding.

Music: Regret

FartinShort: HERE WE GO BOYS
NintendoSixtyNine: WE WANT ANOTHER MADARAME
WifeAlert: as the americans say,
WifeAlert: pog
SecurityBeef: #
SecurityBeef: M
SecurityBeef: I
SecurityBeef: L
WifeAlert: i think i got that right
SecurityBeef: E
FartinShort: oh jesus he’s doing the whole word
SecurityBeef: N
SecurityBeef: N
FartinShort: fuckin stop that
SecurityBeef: A
SecurityBeef: S
TiredMan: Kill him!!!

Today, I’d like to elaborate upon the whole truth behind my company’s labor situation. How my employees were forced to work under severe conditions, how… lax we were with sanitation.

StreetsOfWage: POOP
HertzDonut: POOP SCANDAL
LedgeFund: THEY STOLE THE POOP
TiredMan: Death penalty!!!

(Reporter) Er, I don’t believe there were any allegations about the sanitary conditions of your business…
Please hold all questions until the end, please…

And how my corporation acted as a whole to… cover up every facet of this scandal. For all of this, I wholeheartedly apologize.

NintendoSixtyNine: BORING
StreetsOfWage: who cares
HertzDonut: Go to jail
NintendoSixtyNine: CRY MORE

(Calm Journalist) So, are you saying all of this was done under your orders?
…Yes. I… am solely responsible…

Egodare: ladies and gentlemen
Egodare: we got em
CrabMan: YOOOOOO

(Calm Journalist) We heard that dozens of your employees were forced to resign due to mysterious illness. Furthermore, these happened to be officials who stood against your proposal for overseas expansion. The same thing also happened to executives at competing companies who were looking to expand abroad. Is all of this true?

NintendoSixtyNine: im asleep
NintendoSixtyNine: worst confession ever
CrabMan: There was only one public confession before this one tho

Yes.

NintendoSixtyNine: yeah well
NintendoSixtyNine: shut up
NintendoSixtyNine: that one was really good
LedgeFund: okumura looks like my dad lol

(Calm Journalist) Was it all coincidence?
*pause*

StalkMarket: GUILTY
Egodare: guilty as poo poo
TiredMan: Die!!!

(Calm Journalist) We’d like some answers.
About that… I have a critical piece of information to announce here today.

WifeAlert: announcement: everyone watching this wins my money
NintendoSixtyNine: CRY NOW
FartinShort: HE’S GOING TO ANNOUNCE A NEW CHIBI ROBO LET’S GOOOOO

Okumura’s going to say who’s really behind the mental shutdowns.

Video: Okumura Bares It All

Oh right, is it time? Better set it off.

WifeAlert: what
TiredMan: he’s gonna die to get out of it!!!
NintendoSixtyNine: HEART ATTACK ON A BUN

LedgeFund: is that good
WifeAlert: this happened to my buddy Eric
FartinShort: regular tuesday, yep

NintendoSixtyNine: JESUS CHRIST
Egodare: gently caress
CrabMan: udfguklhserklgjhldsf

HertzDonut: awww, they cut it off
HertzDonut: teases
WifeAlert: uhhhhhhhh
Egodare: gonna puke
LedgeFund: im scared
StalkMarket: it’s fine, babies
NintendoSixtyNine: NO GODS NO MASTERS
SecurityBeef: #
SecurityBeef: M
TiredMan: phantom thieves are done lmao!!!
User SecurityBeef has been kicked from the channel.
NintendoSixtyNine: didn’t even cry. weak poo poo.
CrabMan: you guys are sick, lmao
SecurityBeef2: THE MODS WILL NOT SILENCE ME
SecurityBeef2: L
SecurityBeef2: E
User SecurityBeef2 has been kicked from the channel.
FartinShort: we can still eat him though right

The internet is truly beautiful.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 30, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And this one's just short because I had the genesis of the idea for it a short while before the last update and realized it would be funnier as its own small thing. Next update should be meatier (a bit, anyway)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

NintendoSixtyNine: JESUS CHRIST
Egodare: gently caress
CrabMan: udfguklhserklgjhldsf

Nanashi: what even comes out of your body like that that is black

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

N

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FATHER!
Oh we're boned.
Gawrsh.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They'll pay for this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kind of wonder why Okumura conveniently died at this exact moment and not at any other point during the month-long period that Akechi murdered his brainworms. But I assume the answer is "Because the plot is more dramatic that way."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I kind of wonder why Okumura conveniently died at this exact moment and not at any other point during the month-long period that Akechi murdered his brainworms. But I assume the answer is "Because the plot is more dramatic that way."

Akechi's plan was probably to make sure it happened in as public a forum as possible. If he had died in private at home (especially if Haru had been the first to see the body), the accusations of murder against the PTs could have come down to 'he said, they said'.

We've seen in the previous LP that Akechi can somehow manipulate the time duration between getting shot in the Metaverse and the effects in the real world SIU director dying at the same time as Joker did suggests this.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Mental shutdowns work by the exact same rule as changes of heart, as in, they happen whenever the plot requires them to, anywhere between five minutes and a month after the Shadow gets wrecked.

and this is the one instance where both happened, and the timing lines up; Okumura died a couple minutes into his presser, right before he could mention Shido's name, just as Shadow Okumura got shot a couple minutes after the Thieves beat his rear end and absconded with the treasure, right before he could mention Shido's name

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 151: 10/11-10/12: The Happiest Place On Earth

This update covers content from Part 122 of the original LP.

Music: Desire

Huh…? Wh-Why did he collapse!?

Um… I don’t mean to cast aspersions, but it didn’t seem like that was supposed to happen…
Yeah, we have no idea what’s going on right now either. Unless this is some hilarious prank on me specifically. All right, guys, you got me! Okumura’s gonna pop out from behind that bush and we’ll all have a big laugh! …Nope, seems legit.
…I see.
That was all wrong! It seems almost like… he had a mental shutdown.

Mona-chan, what’s going on?

How could he have had a mental shutdown!? We did everything the same!
I need to call home!
We didn’t do this… right?
Can’t be…
Oh my god, you guys, take off the loving headbands.
We let the Shadow live, just like always. This shouldn’t be happening!

A-Ah…
What’s wrong?
Th-This is… the same… I remember now… It’s just like… what happened to my mom…
So this is the moment when mental shutdown occurs…
But why did they target Okumura-san?

Why did they target Okumura? The guy who was about to reveal the culprit of the mental shutdowns? You can’t figure out why they’d make him have a mental shutdown?

Dammit! The hell’s goin’ on here!?
Um… I have to go. I’ll talk to the staff before I leave. Feel free to take your time.

This ain’t our fault, right?
I’d like to think so…
Some welcoming party, huh…
I’ll get in contact with Haru later. But for today, I think we should all return home.

Sae, I’m booooooored. Do you have any games on your computer?
……
Hey, what are you watching?

*audibly cracking up*
I’m sorry, are you laughing?
I’m sorry, I was thinking about the Muppets again. I love those two old guys!
I see. Anyhow, we lost Okumura. I suspect he was bitten by his lapdog.
So you think the Phantom Thieves are responsible here?
They may have had a falling out, causing the Phantom Thieves to turn on their employer.
*clearly excited* Well, that’s one opinion. I actually suspect that they’re not the culprit here, though I don’t blame you for falling for such a clever gambit.
First it is the Phantom Thieves, now it’s not? Make up your drat mind.
Come now, Sae-san. I merely want to explore all possibilities.
We’re searching Okumura’s residence and Shujin tomorrow. If there’s evidence connected to him or Shujin’s principal, we’ll find it. I hope that will shut you up.
Unlikely.
Yeah, I know. By the way… You haven’t been tampering with my laptop, have you?
What an absurd question. Of course not, and I take offense with the accusation. Mainly because I didn’t think of it first…
Well, there were signs someone was transferring data from it after that argument I had with you last month.
That’s rather tenuous, don’t you think? I *snrk* take pride in my work. *snrk* I wouldn’t stoop so low. *giggle*

…I apologize.

You… apologize…?
Why do you look so surprised?
Err… no reason.

I let my guard down.

I swear… they’re mine! I will catch them!

Did you see? He collapsed during the interview… This is serious!
That was gruesome… Wish they put some sort of warning on the video.
They said President Okumura died!
Really!? Whoa, you’re right! I just saw a news report about it!

Anon: feels good man
Anon: shitlord EXTERMINATED!!!
Anon: explain this, now
Anon: next target, plz

Music: Beneath the Mask

He’s gonna make it, right…?
It’s unlikely…
>Sorry to say it, but that dude’s fuckin’ dead.
Is it our fault…?
Morgana, you said it should have been fine!
It should have been! It should have…
>I mean, it’s already extremely clear why this happened, I’m just waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
Oh? Enlighten us.
>I mentioned it back at the park, they snuffed him out! It’s a major conspiracy!
Right…
This doesn’t seem helpful right now…
Yes, Ann’s correct. Let’s just act normally for now and keep Haru in our thoughts…
Dammit, this doesn’t make any sense… Why he suffered a mental shutdown is one thing… But what are we supposed to do from here on out…?

*sigh* Listen, cat, I dunno about you, but to me this is lookin’ like a real good time to skip town.
……
Fiiiiiine.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Our master has an important matter to discuss with you. Heed his words well.

First, congratulations on your recent victory. I know it was hard-fought.
Yes, it was. …Is that really all you’ve got to tell me right now?
I’m getting there. Anyhow, it seems like you really fouled this one up, eh?
I didn’t do it.
I am aware. Good luck convincing the public of that, however. Hard times are ahead of you. You have stumbled into the midst of something much greater than you, something that will require great resolve to see to its proper end… If you fail in this, so too will your rehabilitation… But at this point, I have faith in you. I look forward to your ultimate overcoming of this trial…

I feel like my bond with Igor is growing deeper…

…We shall meet again.
Time’s up, Inmate! Hurry up and return to your world!

The percentage falls slightly.

Anon: shitlord EXTERMINATED!!!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

He collapsed during his press conference, right? I wish I’d been watching it when it happened.
(Disheartened Dude) You’re probably better off. It was a total disaster. I never imagined seeing a heart attack would be so unsettling…
The news says it was because of illness, but either way you spin it? Still bizarre. drat. Wish I’d seen it live…

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

(Male Student) Did you see that interview? I thought it was gonna be some hidden-camera show at first.
(Female Student) I was so scared I changed the channel…
He really looked like he was in pain… That was sick.

I know it’s very exciting that the Phantom Thieves killed a man live on television last night, but we’re in class right now! Pay attention.
*sulk*
Err… I mean, allegedly.
We’re *allegedly* in class?
Sounds like you want a pop quiz!
But we already have midterms on Monday!

…Things are getting pretty bad.

I know, right? People think we killed a man, and now midterms…

Morning → Afternoon

>Welp, they know. Let’s all barricade ourselves in the cafeteria and go down swinging.
Don’t get ahead of yourself! We don’t even know why they’re here. Makoto, your sister didn’t tell you anything about this?
Not a word.
Is this related to Okumura’s death?
Unlikely. The only connection between Okumura Foods and our school is Haru, and she’s… absent today.
Then why are they here?
I have no idea. Let’s be extra cautious though. We can’t stand out at all. And we should head home immediately after school ends.
>You’re really messing with my social life here.
Just do it.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Suspicion

(Tired Investigator) We haven’t found anything useful as evidence.
I see.
We were hoping to find something more than the calling card too.
We’ve confirmed the victim’s connection to the Phantom Thieves, at least. Thank you for your cooperation.

Huh!? (to Sae) They found a calling card in the principal’s office too!

Music: Disquiet

Oh, *hell* yes. Also, way to yell privileged information in front of a civilian, dipshit.

That’s correct. He never mentioned being annoyed at being at the top of their ranking, and he never once ranted over the phone to someone I don’t know about taking care of the Phantom Thieves and sending the calling card to the police the morning he received it.
Well, that’s unfortunate. If anything comes to mind in the future, no matter how trivial, please contact me.

They targeted the principal too? They’ve certainly been keeping busy if they never even thought to tell me about that…

Music: Interrogation Room

So you’re saying you never went after Okumura’s life, and even the death of Shujin’s principal was the work of someone else?
I mean, it seems like you already kind of suspected the principal was different on some level, considering you didn’t present his calling card in sequence like all the others…
*sigh* This is all certainly convenient… But it doesn’t contradict the facts… and this “Metaverse” concept is rather convoluted for a mere lie…
No offense intended, and I know I’m the one trying to convince you here, but you have really low standards if that’s all it takes…
Well, I hate to admit it, but in my line of work you learn to spot a false testimony when you hear one.
That’s… really hosed up…

Still, if you set your sights on Okumura based on my intel, it’d be before his name was even ranked. You could’ve ignored him and targeted some other famous person. Why would you go so far as to further investigate and pursue this criminal?

We were looking for the culprit… behind the mental shutdowns. But also… our hand was forced. We needed to help our teammate… It all just lined up neatly in the end…

Heh… simple enough. There’s still no proof that another suspect exists. That said, it’s safe enough to say that you aren’t the murdering type.

You… calling… me soft…?

I feel like my bond with Sae is growing deeper…

Pressed to prove your innocence, your next objective was…
*shakes head*
Hm? What’s the matter?

It’s all… getting hazy…

What in the world did the police inject into you?

…Hey, can you hear me!? Maaku Hamiru! You need to stay focused!

Sae’s voice is far away…

If what you’re saying is true, you must tell your side of the story to the end. We’ll both be in trouble if your testimony becomes unreliable.
*nod*
*sigh*

At last we arrive at your most recent crime.

Right, yeah, it was… huh, who was it again…?

This calling card was delivered to your latest target—the one you had decided would prove your innocence.

*gasp*

Now, explain everything to me.

Nice touch, pulling it out of your suit like that. Did you, like, rehearse that, or…?
We’re running low on time here.
Settle down, I’m getting my thoughts together. They’re a mess even when I’m not full of a cocktail of questionable chemicals… Okay, I’m ready. Just know that whatever you think the story here is… it’s much, much dumber than that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

… it’s much, much dumber than that.

if the thread title was not already perfect, this would be a strong contender

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
This next bit is so fantastically stupid I wish it was the entire game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Who could have possibly killed Okumura to frame us? Surely not the guy we know has access to the Metaverse. :v:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When does Joker tell the gang about his suspicions about Akechi? Should be around this time to start setting up the trap in Sae's palace, no?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It doesn't come up until Akechi tells his tale about how he "saw the black mask in Okumura's Palace" at the culture festival. In the flashback to that scene after Sae's Palace, Morgana immediately brings up the pancakes thing after everyone leaves the room, which honestly just makes it that much weirder that they didn't remember Akechi responding to the pancakes comment for five months. After that, I believe Joker and Morgana tell Futaba so she can plant the bug on Akechi's phone, then they take the evidence from that to the rest of the group.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can believe that Ann and Ryuji didn't notice, while Joker and Morgana kept it to themselves because they hate volunteering information unless they absolutely have to.

which seems like an odd character trait, but it makes a whole lot more sense than any alternative explanation

E: in my mind, they respect Akechi's privacy about being a persona user and only become suspicious when he lies about how he became one. It is specifically his fake surprise at Morgana talking that sets them off.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 30, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: in my mind, they respect Akechi's privacy about being a persona user and only become suspicious when he lies about how he became one. It is specifically his fake surprise at Morgana talking that sets them off.

I think this read works more in the Royal version rather than the original version. In the Royal timeline, there are other beings and another Persona user who seem innocuous, whereas in the original version, Joker and Mona should probably be immediately suspicious of any stranger who can understand Mona in the real world.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly I can see them overlooking the pancake comment in the same way people would overlook it in real life. And probably did overlook it. I know I did when I first binged through the first LP.

It's a decent "aha!" moment

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Who could have possibly killed Okumura to frame us? Surely not the guy we know has access to the Metaverse. :v:
But Yoshizawa isn't a guy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

Honestly I can see them overlooking the pancake comment in the same way people would overlook it in real life. And probably did overlook it. I know I did when I first binged through the first LP.

Yeah I definitely missed it until the explanation. At least with me the "only people who have visited the Metaverse can here Morgana" thing kind of just faded into the back of my mind and I only remembered when someone actively pointed it out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can believe that Ann and Ryuji didn't notice, while Joker and Morgana kept it to themselves because they hate volunteering information unless they absolutely have to.

which seems like an odd character trait, but it makes a whole lot more sense than any alternative explanation

Hey, at least it's consistent with neither of them ever bringing up Yoshizawa's existence to the group.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hey, at least it's consistent with neither of them ever bringing up Yoshizawa's existence to the group.

That plothole is an irritant for me.

Not even a single mention so far of 'Hey, we spotted this new Palace a week ago...' I know they're kinda caught up in other things right now, but there have been times prior to the Okumura press conference where it could have been brought up.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Somehow I've completely missed this thread until now, I guess starting to play the game myself recently helped me notice it.
I have to say, I'd never have the patience to screenshot LP a game like Persona, so kudos to you, Arist.

Don't really want to spoil myself on the entire plot, so I'll return to read the thread once I'm done with the game.

...Though I did immediately start modding the game once I noticed someone made a female Joker mod.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

rannum posted:

I think the thing is that, IIRC, Mona and Joker do canonically notice it immediately when it happens and talk about it after the other phantom thieves leave. To keep it as a thing the player can either notice or miss they just have the initial time they talk about it when you play through that part of the game be one of the occasional blurry out of focus garbled moments (caused by the drugs joker is injected with giving him memory issues, as the story is being told as a flashback from the interrogation room with Sae until we reach the end of Sae's palace.)

Once you get past the interrogation room that scene of them noticing eventually replays, without the censoring of what happens.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 2, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The pancakes moment happened months ago, and the scene where they talk about the pancakes moment is coming up, but I'm pretty sure the memory blur only affects the Sae arc; it was only just introduced in the flash forward right now, and all the reconstructed scenes are from October and November.

The game makes explicit that that is when they started sharing their suspicions about Akechi, but it's not clear what they thought of him before that. I think the simplest reading is that they subconsciously registered the pancakes comment at the time, but didn't connect the dots until he gave an incongruent story about only recently discovering the Metaverse, so they didn't suspect him before then, either. Though it's more fun to read the Akechi confidant scenes as both Joker and Akechi knowing the other is a persona user, and trying to puzzle them out without giving anything away.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rawkking posted:

I think the thing is that, IIRC, Mona and Joker do canonically notice it immediately when it happens and talk about it after the other phantom thieves leave. To keep it as a thing the player can either notice or miss they just have the initial time they talk about it when you play through that part of the game be one of the occasional blurry out of focus garbled moments (caused by the drugs joker is injected with giving him memory issues, as the story is being told as a flashback from the interrogation room with Sae until we reach the end of Sae's palace.)

Once you get past the interrogation room that scene of them noticing eventually replays, without the censoring of what happens.

They didn't care about this at that moment so much. This was shortly after Madarame when they knew relatively little about the Metaverse, and certainly not about Shido's conspiracy. Some lawful good weirdo understanding Morgana was weird, but more a reason to watch and figure out what is it all about than to panic.

Their bullshit alarm started blaring only after Akechi told them he only discovered the Metaverse when he followed them to Okumura's Palace and pretended to be weirded out by a talking cat. There was only one established way to hear Morgana talking: hear his true form in the Metaverse, which means he must have been there months ago. The fact that he understood Morgana alone didn't make him suspicious, lying about it did.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gantolandon posted:

They didn't care about this at that moment so much. This was shortly after Madarame when they knew relatively little about the Metaverse, and certainly not about Shido's conspiracy. Some lawful good weirdo understanding Morgana was weird, but more a reason to watch and figure out what is it all about than to panic.

Their bullshit alarm started blaring only after Akechi told them he only discovered the Metaverse when he followed them to Okumura's Palace and pretended to be weirded out by a talking cat. There was only one established way to hear Morgana talking: hear his true form in the Metaverse, which means he must have been there months ago. The fact that he understood Morgana alone didn't make him suspicious, lying about it did.

Yeah this, none of them even know HOW Joker got access to the Metaverse that early on and the real brains of the operation (Makoto) hasn't shown up yet. But after Akechi lies about when he entered the metaverse it becomes a lot more suspicious and worth investigating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 152: Side Story 6: Jesus Christ, Enough With This (no more, please)

I’m sitting here in front of my keyboard and I legitimately don’t know what I’m about to do here for this fifth batch of P5A episodes. What I do know is that I regret deciding to watch them more every single time I have to go back. This show has nothing to offer; it’s faithful to the point of excess while still somehow capturing almost none of the game’s charm. I’m not a huge fan of the P4 anime or anything (I don’t really love the way they flatten the protagonist into The Cool Guy in some scenes), but that adaptation was at least additive. You could watch it and get a novel experience. This? Why would you watch this? The voice direction is often flat, the story both rushed and padded, and a truly unconscionable number of the shots look like absolute garbage, the “zenith” of which has to be this shot from episode 19:

I’m a bit short on time to write this one, and I’ve also procrastinated both watching the episodes and writing this text long enough already, so I’m probably going to be as brief I as I can manage here. There’ll be some recap, I suppose, but I’m not going back to check the episodes to help write this if I can possibly help it. Thankfully, there were only 4 episodes to watch this time. Let’s just get to it.

Episode 18

This episode covers Futaba’s socialization and the beach trip. You might be thinking that that’s not enough material for an entire episode, and you’d be right! They pad it a bit with stuff like Ren earning money through the flower shop, which truly does seem to be them realizing the episode was running like multiple minutes short like in Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace or something because that subplot is literally just two isolated shots of him at the flower shop, then producing a bunch of money at the beach. There’s also a brief subplot involving Sojiro’s curry, which Ren tries to replicate but ends up making too spicy, but that never goes anywhere besides an admittedly kinda funny gag where it seems like Yusuke is sweating from listening to the girls try on swimsuits but instead it’s from eating the curry.

Other stuff they added: they put in the Kawakami fishing scene with Ryuji before the scene from Futaba’s Rank 1 Confidant in Akihabara, which means Ryuji comes to that scene, bizarrely. Also, he says that Futaba and Ren “got a brother and sister thing going on”, which, even as someone who likes that reading, feels very weird in the actual context of the episode. There’s a bunch of setting up Morgana’s inferiority complex, there’s the Mishima buffet scene combined with Mishima and Ren getting stood up, there’s the loving Mika scene from Ann’s Confidant (that Ren just kind of randomly wanders into as it’s already happening), there’s the Morgana dreams that go nowhere, etc.. This episode is doing a million things and none of them feel coherent or connected to each other. It’s a bad one, folks.

Random asides:
  • Thankfully, Julian and Angel do not show up at the beach.
  • The fireworks outside Leblanc end up being Sojiro’s idea, which kind of ruins it. The whole point was that it was a reciprocal action from Futaba.
Episode 19

This episode covers Hawaii. That’s… kind of it, but also Hawaii is only like eight minutes of the actual episode, covers none of the actually important scenes from Hawaii in the game, and ends at the episode’s halfway point, meaning the rest of the episode is just the death of the principal and Morgana having his tantrum. Great stuff. The Hawaii stuff introduces Hifumi, bafflingly, in a scene where she’s trying to avoid getting picked up by some guys and Ren saves her. That’s it. It’s her only scene in these episodes. If you didn’t play the game there is no indication as to why they’re spending any time on this character. The main problem with Hawaii though is that it feels entirely obligatory because, as I mentioned earlier, they cut the gang talking with Haru and the gang discussing Okumura Foods and Okumura’s position on the rankings. There is no reason the Hawaii trip should have been included if they’re going to remove that stuff. The Hawaii trip felt like a pointless digression in the game already! To be fair, there are a couple moments that emphasize the ostensible point of the trip, which is seeing the overseas reaction to the Phantom Thieves, but I don’t feel those justify the inclusion of this boondoggle in either the show or the game. Just have some non-Japanese comments on the Phan-Site (which the game already did with QUE ES FANTOM THIEF?) and mention it briefly. That’s really all you need if you have no other ideas.

And then there’s the Morgana tantrum, which feels both oversold and under-motivated. His inferiority complex tracks, but the connection to his desire to take down Okumura, especially here, doesn’t, really. You just have to squint at it. Also, Ryuji is the only one agreeing with you, dude. Don’t get mad at him. I know he’s “caving” or whatever by going with the group, but your rage at him makes no sense. The beef feels really forced, is what I’m saying.

Random asides:
  • Sae sounds actually kind of concerned about Makoto in a scene, this adaptation is ridiculous
  • This is about where I noticed that characters talk with their mouths not visible a lot
  • Mishima never introduces the ranking system on the Phan-Site, it just comes out of nowhere for this
  • The scene from Royal where Kawakami is posing in her swimsuit is from this episode, but here it’s like three different swimsuits and she’s doing elaborate poses like she’s modeling or something. It’s uncomfortable.
  • Would Yusuke really have brought a swimsuit to LA? I know that’s also in the game but I’m realizing it now.
  • Mishima doesn’t vomit his guts out!!! Heresy!!!!!
  • Haru comes out of nowhere here, truly. She is in the fireworks scene from several episodes ago, I guess, shows up during the Kawakami gravure scene, and then shows up after Mona gets his rear end kicked.
Episode 20

This episode is the entire Morgana Retrieval Arc. I have almost nothing to say about it. Uhhh… I like the Beauty Thief scene, I guess? It’s sold well. Also, it’s good that they cut the attempted vehicular manslaughter in Mementos? They added some stuff with Ren asking both Ohya and Chihaya about Okumura and Morgana (the latter ending with Chihaya trying to hock a Holy Stone, because she’s all about that grindset). Also they skip the yearbook scene and go straight to Makoto identifying Haru because she was on the Hawaii trip, which is hilarious because they shared zero scenes. The only other thing of note is that Ryuji, in both apology scenes, is way more sincere than in the game, where it kinda seemed like he didn’t care that much. Is that it? Kinda feels like that’s it.

Random asides:
  • There’s quite a few shots in this episode and indeed the series as a whole that look fine-to-good (thinking about the scene with Ohya in particular). The problem is that so, so many cuts just clearly did not receive the time and attention they needed.
  • Haru says “I’d never be able to live without my father.” Wanna bet?
Episode 21

Honestly, I might have even less to say about this one. I certainly took the fewest notes about it. They skip almost all of Okumura’s Palace besides Noir’s awakening and the airlock (which looks like poo poo), including the part before the boss fight where Mona gets his “redemption” and sticks with the Phantom Thieves. I’m not kidding, they find the Treasure loving immediately. Anyway, they beat Okumura’s Shadow, he dies, they go to Destinyland, he dies (his actual death is, unsurprisingly, both less horrifying and less funny in the anime), the end.

Random asides:
  • I had one note seven minutes into this episode
  • They give a date for the deadline and it’s different than it was in the game
  • They did NOT remind Xander Mobus how to pronounce “Hecatoncheires”
  • Shadow Okumura getting shot by the black mask has actual gore on it instead of black goo! Weird!
  • First and only appearance of the Velvet Room twins in this batch
  • They DO ride the rides at Destinyland!!!
  • The SIU Director foreshadowing works even less well when you do it two seconds before the thing it’s foreshadowing
  • By the end of this batch of episodes, we still have not met either Yoshida or Shinya. Nuts.

Very glad that I don’t have to think about this anime for another eight months or whatever. But now it’s time for the most token and obligatory part of this LP: more Thieves’ Den coverage! Yaaaaay!

Yes, I know this is several days in the future from where we are in the LP. I was recording ahead and forgot to check the Thieves’ Den before it updated, and the Thieves’ Den is a separate system save so it’s not like I could roll it back. Whatever, shut up.

Oh boy, new poo poo!

In other words, if we can convince people that a girl named Futaba Sakura can turn into one too…
Then it’s car time for me too, baby!
That’s so smart! Would you be called the Futaba car?
Futaba Car… Never mind, that sounds so lame. Hurgh, that really throws a wrench in my plans!
Why do you want to be a car in the first place?

Wouldn’t you like to know, narc? Anyway, the other scene is one we saw in a previous update, so I’m not transcribing it again.

Let’s buy and install some new décor.

I like Okumura’s Palace theming, but I choose not to change from the default.

We should probably buy some of the new stuff.

So, we’ve got Hawaii, the Fishing Pond, and the Capsule Machines for new settings here.

We’ll swap in the Capsule Machines and Hawaii.

Ore no Beko? I forgot that place even existed, to be honest.

That’s… large.

We’ll swap in Okumura as well.

And place the sphinx. This one’s too big to hang out inside, so it’ll just peek in through the ceiling.

Swap in the Corporobo Army.

And also swap in Necronomicon and Milady.

C-Cut it out, Futaba! We shouldn’t mention that to her…
Uh— Ohhhhh! Don’t worry, Ann! I couldn’t see anything I haven’t already!
Thanks, guys… Your concern is killing me…

If I recall, it was you who came to Morgana’s defense first, Ryuji.
At the time, you were the one who was most upset at him… and yet you were the most upset on his behalf, as well.
The hell? What’s this all about?
Could you not dig that poo poo up!?
Hm? Why not? I was merely stating the facts.
Ohh, I see how it is! So you really cared about me, hmmm?
Hrgh…!

All right, one more go-around for this jaunt.

…None of them were like robots. They were all just ordinary people. I have no idea what they’re going through, and I’m sure there’ll be issues that the company needs to work out…
But I was still a little relieved.
It sounds like you’ve got a healthy approach to the situation.
That part of you’s always impressed me, Haru.
Thanks. That’s nice to hear from you, Mako-chan.

If this is difficult for you, do not force yourself to continue looking.
No, I’m okay.
The monster is gone now. My real mom is with me… In my heart.
I see.

And that’s gonna do it for this one. I’m considering holding back on future Thieves’ Den updates until maybe bonus updates after the end of the game because they are very repetitive and I feel like they’re not that interesting, but maybe you disagree. I doubt it, but anything’s possible, I guess!

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 29, 2024

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I really do like the little asides where they address things that don't come up in the main game, like Yusuke pointing out that Ryuji immediately forgot his grudges when he saw a friend in need. It's a cute character moment.

I mean, not cute enough that it's worth transcribing the entire Thieves' Den, but maybe a highlights reel at the end?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I kinda like the P4 anime. It exacerbated some dumb parts like Kanji's dungeon, but it felt like a pretty fun experience. I like how Yu comes across as both cool and a weirdo at the same time, which definitely helps make plain why he's (apparently) got no friends before coming to Inaba. P4 Golden's anime, on the other hand...

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I really do like the little asides where they address things that don't come up in the main game, like Yusuke pointing out that Ryuji immediately forgot his grudges when he saw a friend in need. It's a cute character moment.

It is a cute character moment, but it is undermined in that it is implied that these "characters" are cognitions inside Joker's palace. The Thieves Den is described as be Joker's palace, and his palace has people who cannot enter Palaces normally. Joker can even transform himself into one of his friend. Nevertheless, it is essentially Joker's interpretations of events and his friends.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah i don't know about that nerd poo poo, I'm here to watch Morgana and Ryuji being friends

It being exclusively Joker's reading really undercut the interactions that are talking about how cool Joker is while he's not around.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

yeah i don't know about that nerd poo poo, I'm here to watch Morgana and Ryuji being friends

Same but with Futaba trying to become a Transformer

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

TwoPair posted:

Same but with Futaba trying to become a Transformer

If she could get a Revolutionary Girl Utena revival going that'd help the cause a lot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
9/10 anime review for using the word 'boondoggle'.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I can't imagine it's as bad as the Devil Survivor 2 anime, gods that was just horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I can't imagine it's as bad as the Devil Survivor 2 anime, gods that was just horrific.

I should actually play that game, I got the first ending possible by picking an option just to see if they'd let me and they did.