Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jennifer Gunter is a pretty funny name for a gynecologist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tulip posted:

:coal:

Not sure what the vagina bible is but it sounds like something that you would get in more legal trouble than average for mass distribution of.

I mean, if I only heard a company was messing in some vagina files without consent, meta is one of the first I'd think of

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Laterite posted:

Jennifer Gunter is a pretty funny name for a gynecologist

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1707394622559846904

Cool. Thanks for inventing these.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
glasses, for perverts

Griz
May 21, 2001

turns out they were training their AI on a giant pile of pirated ebooks. oops!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/authors-discover-pirated-versions-of-their-books-used-to-train-meta-ai/

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Griz posted:

turns out they were training their AI on a giant pile of pirated ebooks. oops!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/authors-discover-pirated-versions-of-their-books-used-to-train-meta-ai/

an ai trained on the contents of osama bin laden's hard drive

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Schmoe Cwead posted:

an ai trained on the contents of osama bin laden's hard drive

again this is not the cyberpunk utopia thread

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

"Sparks privacy fears."

Like, what. That should be "Meta announces criminal plans to criminally commit crimes everywhere. Crime." loving christ.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

stand by for wave two of glassholes getting socked in the mouth for refusing to take off their creepy wearable cameras

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow who could have seen this coming
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1707727557032861731

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I foresee a large number of broken Food Delivery Robots in LA’s future! I hope.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

luv to design technology that's illegal in the 11 states with two-party consent laws.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

does it record audio? The article only mentioned cameras and speakers but not microphones

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

does it record audio? The article only mentioned cameras and speakers but not microphones

As for audio, the smart glasses now feature five built-in mics that can record spatial audio including one receiver hidden in the nose to improve voice quality during calls.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

luv to believe any power less than the cpc can tell a trillion dollar company what laws it must follow

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Lordshmee posted:

I foresee a large number of broken Food Delivery Robots in LA’s future! I hope.

Remember when Boston Dynamics thought it would be a super idea to have free-ranging surveillance dog robots and almost immediately guides came out on how to disable them and steal their batteries and other valuable parts? Good times.

https://x.com/LenKusov/status/1364640007101775872?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

As for audio, the smart glasses now feature five built-in mics that can record spatial audio including one receiver hidden in the nose to improve voice quality during calls.

ah so going from the article you’re quoting, sounds like it does have a recording light, which has been enough for 2-party states so far

quote:

On the privacy side, there’s also a new LED indicator on the left that’s brighter than before while also adding some symmetry with the camera on the right. The light turns on every time you record a picture or video, so there’s no hiding when you’re capturing content. But the clever thing is that Meta says that if anyone tries to cover up the light, it will block the glasses from recording altogether.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

ah so going from the article you’re quoting, sounds like it does have a recording light, which has been enough for 2-party states so far

yeah and idk if that article says as much but apparently if you cover the light it shuts off the recording

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fondue posted:

Remember when Boston Dynamics thought it would be a super idea to have free-ranging surveillance dog robots and almost immediately guides came out on how to disable them and steal their batteries and other valuable parts? Good times.

or just give it a good kick or five

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

so this is some sort of insane vr recording device

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1705989839319949545
https://i.imgur.com/4zMI7xT.mp4

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Sep 30, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As someone with an actual memory disorder, this would basically be an evidence generator against me. Even worse, I would probably believe in it. Destroy this poo poo and its inventors and salt the earth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Starting to believe these guys don't have humanity's best interests in mind

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

fondue posted:

Ofc a furry knows how to take advantage of Spot

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Given the use of the word "swap" in this context it seems more like a faster version of what you've been able to with Photoshop for ages where you just take a bunch of pictures then pick and choose the best faces since no one got it right in one picture. The only "AI" would be face detection and making the background consistent.

Like even from the kinda out-of-context time cropping it's clear that it's working off of a series of photos.

stringless has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Sep 30, 2023

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

FFT posted:

Given the use of the word "swap" in this context it seems more like a faster version of what you've been able to with Photoshop for ages where you just take a bunch of pictures then pick and choose the best faces since no one got it right in one picture. The only "AI" would be face detection and making the background consistent.

Like even from the kinda out-of-context time cropping it's clear that it's working off of a series of photos.

It's still creating an alternate reality, and the use of the word "AI" tells you it won't stop there. Taken in a vacuum it may not be a big deal, but look at it as part of a trajectory - not just in society or Silicon Valley, but even within Google itself. It wasn't that long ago that Google was proudly posting blog posts saying that these days it does not search for your search terms but uses AI to decide what to show you instead.

Technically it may be a bigger step, but ideologically it's a very small step between "edit photos by splicing together expressions from different photos in order to make a nicer reality" to "just use image generation to edit someone's face" or edit reality in general.

Hell, every modern phone advertises AI in cameras, and it edits pics. And looks poo poo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

composition and focus alone meant that photography was never an unbiased, complete snapshot of a moment in the first place. the posters complaining about this creating a fake reality already are putting too much faith in the truth of photos.

swapping faces is done by professionals and skilled amateurs already, and this AI feature is part of the process of deskilling them

this is a change in quantity, not of quality when it comes to the artifice of a photograph

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

my concern would be the resource and energy inputs of rolling out more and more features like this. fine if it's happening locally on your device, but if this is happening in data centers? lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

webcams for christ posted:

my concern would be the resource and energy inputs of rolling out more and more features like this. fine if it's happening locally on your device, but if this is happening in data centers? lol

why would it use more power in a data centre than on your device? just the network transfer costs?

(large data centres from hyperscalers are likely to have a cleaner energy mix than most people’s homes, I think)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

why would it use more power in a data centre than on your device? just the network transfer costs?

(large data centres from hyperscalers are likely to have a cleaner energy mix than most people’s homes, I think)

If it's in a datacenter, it's probably because it couldn't be gotten running on the device, and the sky's the limit for processing demands.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
"Hey, remember that corporate memo that was sent out where we said we committed crimes? Wouldn't it be great if we could just *snip snip* and change those incriminating words into non-incriminating words?

Of course, I don't mean that a HUMAN would do this...we should just set up an AI to wander through our corporate database to make sure there's no legal exposure on any of our stored data. Since AI is a proven technology, we're just doing this to make sure our corporate records are ACCURATE."

This is what everyone defending AI image modification sounds like. It doesn't matter if it happens on the original device capturing the data or in a datacenter somewhere. It's mangling of data.

Objective truth is dead, long live objective truth.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

did we all just forget google glass?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

composition and focus alone meant that photography was never an unbiased, complete snapshot of a moment in the first place. the posters complaining about this creating a fake reality already are putting too much faith in the truth of photos.

swapping faces is done by professionals and skilled amateurs already, and this AI feature is part of the process of deskilling them

this is a change in quantity, not of quality when it comes to the artifice of a photograph

I get your argument. AI isn't even an entirely new technology, it's just that the application of it has skyrocketed, and that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. After all, we don't use use phone operators to connect our calls anymore, or a myriad of other examples. Still, the speed at which AI application is developing and is being implemented is definitely cause for concern, because it's going so fast there's simply no way for society, regulation, etc. can adapt and protect itself and that's what's scaring people. It's genuinely unnerving to see how fast it's gone from new (form/application of) technology > actual application > media taking notice and glorifying it > oh poo poo it might actually have unintended consequences > oh poo poo there's a huge potential of abuse > oh poo poo that abuse is actually happening.

It's literally only been a couple of years for this poo poo to blow up the way it has and we've got self-driving cars killing people, entire industries rightly going on strike to protect themselves, etc., and I think it's more than reasonable for people to be cautious and fearful even when it comes to rather benign seeming applications like this one because it wouldn't be the first time that a seemingly benign development turned out to be disastrous.

Back in the days, a new technology would take years/decades to disrupt an industry, giving people and society time to adapt, and it happened in a society where there was an actual (more or less) opportunity to adapt. I feel like that's not the case now. With as little protection workers get, the degree of specialization asked for now to be successful and the greed of the elite/silicon valley AI development is a genuine concern.

Reading this thread always makes me glad that my line of work is literally impossible to be taken over by or even significantly influenced by AI.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Atrocious Joe posted:

The change in quantity is the issue. A sufficiently skilled editor can already basically do magic. Having any dipshit be able to fabricate whatever bullshit they want is going to make poo poo way worse

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I enjoy no context replies:

https://x.com/urinedonater/status/1706100982185152750?s=20

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah but why just change it with other pictures of your dorky kids. While your in their changing things why not replace your kids with better quality kids than your own lovely ragtag kids. Every photo can then be you with the perfect family that you'll have no way of having in real life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Half-wit posted:

"Hey, remember that corporate memo that was sent out where we said we committed crimes? Wouldn't it be great if we could just *snip snip* and change those incriminating words into non-incriminating words?

Of course, I don't mean that a HUMAN would do this...we should just set up an AI to wander through our corporate database to make sure there's no legal exposure on any of our stored data. Since AI is a proven technology, we're just doing this to make sure our corporate records are ACCURATE."

This is what everyone defending AI image modification sounds like. It doesn't matter if it happens on the original device capturing the data or in a datacenter somewhere. It's mangling of data.

Objective truth is dead, long live objective truth.

Companies subverting the courts by manipulating their records isn't a matter of technology. They did that before AI, AI would just allow a smaller numbers of workers to do the same job.

The banks didn't need "AI" to evict thousands of people in the US with legally dubious paperwork in 2008, that was a political decision backed up by the state.

The specter of AI is heightening contradictions, not producing new ones. In many ways it seems to be a distraction, with people blaming the new technology for preexisting issues.

Rapid disruption is what capitalism needs to survive. With the West losing it's ability to inflict that damage on other parts of the world, we're seeing that disruption more and more "at home."

quote:

The bourgeoisie cannot exist without constantly revolutionising the instruments of production, and thereby the relations of production, and with them the whole relations of society. Conservation of the old modes of production in unaltered form, was, on the contrary, the first condition of existence for all earlier industrial classes. Constant revolutionising of production, uninterrupted disturbance of all social conditions, everlasting uncertainty and agitation distinguish the bourgeois epoch from all earlier ones. All fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind.