Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my husband that my son is important?

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got a real winner there, I don't remember the last time I saw an OP arguing so hard in the comments as blue eyes guy is at people directly showing why they're wrong, in terms of just completely sticking to their simplified high school version of eye color genetics no matter what. To say nothing of repeatedly trying to own people for having (~ugh~) brown eyes, or possibly worse, a "common" shade of blue unlike his own :suspense:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Eye color genetics is extremely complicated and, as you point out, even the most simplified "straightforward" part of it that gets used in grade school isn't always accurate. I think every time I've heard of that being done in a classroom there's at least one person who doesn't match up. That's a bit of a selection bias because I don't personally see it done often and "we did that and everybody's results were as expected" is not a story that gets told later.

Also, they don't even have the simple version right! Even if blue eyes were a simple recessive trait, a brown eyed partner could still be a carrier. They might have a 50/50 shot at blue eyed kids.

I know people want their kids to look like themselves but people who get really fixated on blond hair and blue eyes always make me jump straight to :godwin:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If "my much older second husband seems to be inordinately interested in my underage daughter" isn't a reason to immediately nope out of a relationship, I don't know what is.

OP should put on American Beauty to see how much the husband sweats.

She insists he used to enthusiastically support her son as well, but I guess his ability to fake it is wearing off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for punishing my son for his, “preferences”?

It's scary how much racism people will allow under the guide of "preferences." Glad the one parent here wasn't having it. If your preference is to be racist nobody has to respect you or treat you with anything but contempt for it.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Got a real winner there, I don't remember the last time I saw an OP arguing so hard in the comments as blue eyes guy is at people directly showing why they're wrong, in terms of just completely sticking to their simplified high school version of eye color genetics no matter what. To say nothing of repeatedly trying to own people for having (~ugh~) brown eyes, or possibly worse, a "common" shade of blue unlike his own :suspense:

You know if he finds his perfect light-blue-eyed mate and they have kids with any eye color different than theirs, he's going to claim she cheated.

My husband and I both have green eyes. One of our kids' eyes are pale blue, one's are hazel, and the third's are dark brown.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Troublemaker posted:

You know if he finds his perfect light-blue-eyed mate and they have kids with any eye color different than theirs, he's going to claim she cheated.

Ha, this was my first thought as well

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Troublemaker posted:

My husband and I both have green eyes. One of our kids' eyes are pale blue, one's are hazel, and the third's are dark brown.

I'm sorry you had to learn it here but this is biologically impossible. Your husband definitely cheated on you, at least one of the kids isn't yours.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If my children came out with the wrong eye color I would just get their eyes tattooed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My kid's eyes changed color like, three times after he was born and you better believe on two separate occasions I was pulled aside for a discreet conversation on the apparent unfaithfulness of the mother of my child.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Biplane posted:

My kid's eyes changed color like, three times after he was born and you better believe on two separate occasions I was pulled aside for a discreet conversation on the apparent unfaithfulness of the mother of my child.

You sure it wasn't just three different babies playing a trick on you?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tarkus posted:

You sure it wasn't just three different babies playing a trick on you?

I mean, could be. I did find a mysterious trench coat laying about.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for punishing my son for his, “preferences”?

I'm really hoping the son reacted this way because of the teasing. Growing up my family would constantly tease me if I showed any interest in a girl and it made me scared to even admit to myself that I liked a girl. The scars are sadly still alive and well to this day.

That's what it sounds like and while the racism is bad and he should be punished for it, its probably just a defense mechanism because of the "light" teasing.

In high school I even had a very close friend that was a black girl that I should have dated but was always scared to mention I liked her because of my family.

There might have been an undercurrent of racism from my family too but I can't say for sure. If I learned my mom and grandmother did in fact tell me not to date anyone outside my race it wouldn't at all surprise me.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Bruceski posted:

Eye color genetics is extremely complicated and, as you point out, even the most simplified "straightforward" part of it that gets used in grade school isn't always accurate. I think every time I've heard of that being done in a classroom there's at least one person who doesn't match up. That's a bit of a selection bias because I don't personally see it done often and "we did that and everybody's results were as expected" is not a story that gets told later.

But that's how it works for my sims!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA For Saying No To Dressing As A Disney Princess For A Wedding?

quote:

So I (24F) am friends with Holly (28F) who is getting married next summer. Holly has always been a Disney girlie, and I wasn’t surprised when she told me and the other bridesmaids she wanted us to dress as Disney princesses. Holly is going to wear a huge, glittery, glammed up ballgown, and we’ll be in dresses that are more of a modern take on the princess’s dresses, but there will be text on the invite stating which bridesmaid is which princess and which groom is which prince.

There are five of us, and she wants us each in a different color, so she has chosen Ariel (pink), Cinderella (blue), Belle (yellow), Rapunzel (purple), and Tiana (green). She picked who would be who for us, and told me that she wants me as Tiana since I have black hair. The problem is, I’m white. The entire bridal party is white. You can see why I’m not feeling this choice.

I brought it up privately with Holly and tried to suggest alternatives for green (Merida from Brave or Anna from Frozen) but she shot them down (Merida’s dress is “actually blue” + she has no prince, and she doesn’t like Frozen). I told Holly that I will not be Tiana for her wedding and that I’m stepping down unless she accepts one of the alternatives or provides another. She called me a b**ch and a terrible friend and said nobody is going to care. I told her that I care, and I’m not doing it.

I’ve gotten some Facebook messages from some of her family/friends asking why I’m being so difficult and why I’m trying to ruin Holly’s wedding, and even a couple of the bridesmaids have told me to just “suck it up” because I’m throwing Holly’s plan out of whack. I’m standing my ground on this, but the pushback kind of has me wondering if I’m making something out of nothing. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

in comments:

quote:

If she would’ve asked me to do blackface I would have blown up tbh. She did make a comment about how I should “get a tan before the wedding” though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Friends don't let friends be that into Disney.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

And the real thing is, it's the venue's rule, not the bride's at all.

WIBTA if I told my husband I didn’t want kids because of him

My wife wants to name our daughter “Ebony”

reddit:

Way old post, but I had a co-worker named Ebony years ago. She was white as linen sheets, had red hair and body freckles.

She WAS exactly half black on her mother's side but it still looked weird especially when with her siblings who both were dark skinned and were named like Gunner and Kaitlin.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

in comments:

Unsurprisingly redditors are falling all over themselves with "what if a black person was Belle??" and "it's your friend's wedding just suck it up" kowtowing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Unsurprisingly redditors are falling all over themselves with "what if a black person was Belle??" and "it's your friend's wedding just suck it up" kowtowing.

Ugh, I should've known.
OP's top comment: "I'm just not personally comfortable doing this"
Top reply: "does that mean that a black girl should never impersonate a SnowWhite or a Rapunzel because the original characters were not black?"
750 updoots, and all the additional replies suggesting that there is perhaps some relevant context are just ignored :negative:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

in comments:

OP should say "Okay, I'll be Tiana" and show up in a frog costume.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Disney adults and horse people are always worth avoiding.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Good news! The list of Disney princesses now includes Dr. Frank-N-Furter from Rocky Horror, and the xenomorphs from Alien

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I 28M told my fiance 25F that our wedding won’t be like her coworker’s. Now she won’t speak to me.

quote:

Throwaway account, I don’t want her somehow finding this.

So some background I guess. I am engaged to a wonderful woman and have been for two months now. We’ll call her Em. Em and I have been together for four years now, and I love her to death. She’s pretty, funny, laid back, and just makes me happy when I’m around her. We both work decent jobs and make solid money, we own a home and have two wonderful dogs. Our life should be perfect. There is one problem: Em’s old coworker.

This coworker (I believe 35, we’ll call her Elle) was one of Em’s closest friends at her first job she started several years ago. Em was still a teenager, but would hang out a lot with Elle, would watch her house when Elle went on vacations, go out to lunch with her, etc. Now, Em is pansexual, and has admitted that she had feelings for Elle, but never even imagined acting on them (the age gap and Elle is straight).

Another thing, when Em was 17 Elle got married, and Em absolutely loved her wedding. It had been a quaint backyard wedding with friends and family, and Elle and Em’s boss had even officiated.

So, this is where our problem starts. Em really wants a wedding exactly like Elle’s. She wants a tiny, cheap backyard shindig with food from target, sparklers, and close friends. This, however, does not coincide with what MY family wants: my parents are catholic and expect us to be married in a church. They are very affluent and have a lot of guests expecting to come, too many that would fit in our backyard or a park. I’ve explained this to Em several times but she just keeps telling me we don’t have to invite them if we don’t want to.

We’ve been going back and forth, but it came to a head last night when Em showed me her wedding dress she had picked. It wasn’t even from a wedding dress website - it was a cheap dress with a white long-sleeve top and a light blue skirt. I immediately shut her down, telling her that her dress needed to be an actual wedding dress. She was confused, and I explained (again) that our wedding was not just a backyard barbecue, but something we’d want to remember for the rest of our lives. Em got snippy and reminded me that Elle’s wedding had been a backyard barbecue but it was memorable to those who attended.

At thus point I blew up and told her that our wedding wasn’t Elle’s, that her dress couldn’t be from a department store, that it was going to be in a catholic church, and that she needed to understand that. She argued back that she just wanted a wedding that she would enjoy too. I then did something stupid; I accused her of wanting the wedding to be like Elle’s because she was still in love with her. She got quiet, then left the room. She hasn’t spoken to me since. I am aware that though they’re friends on Facebook, they don’t really talk anymore. I’m not even sure Em was going to invite Elle to the wedding with how small she wanted it.

I told my friend and she recommended this forum to see if I’m in the wrong. So, what do I do now?

TLDR: My told my fiance our wedding won’t be like her coworker’s, which upset her.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

boofhead posted:

Good news! The list of Disney princesses now includes and the xenomorphs from Alien

Sigourney Weaver is also covered by that for an easier costume option.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Evil Willow posted:

I 28M told my fiance 25F that our wedding won’t be like her coworker’s. Now she won’t speak to me.

A lot of talking about what his family wants, but not much about what he wants in a wedding.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Way to lay down the law dude. Gotta make your wife understand that what mommy and daddy says goes.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my wife that my parents tried to give our son a DNA test, leading to her restricting their access to him?

I had a roommate who was 6' with blonde hair. He was half Korean and Hawaiian on his moms side and without seeing a photo of her you didn't see it at all. He very much looked like a typical northern European white guy. Genetics is wild like that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

is this guy marrying his fiance, or his parents? well, he's not marrying anyone now i guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are the bride and groom even Catholic? Seems like it would be a bummer either way to get married with a giant effigy of a tortured demigod hanging above you.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Biplane posted:

I hope you told them to get all the way hosed then, who does that?!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boofhead posted:

Good news! The list of Disney princesses now includes Dr. Frank-N-Furter from Rocky Horror, and the xenomorphs from Alien

No Maxwell Q. Klinger, this list is trash

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

titty_baby_ posted:

I had a roommate who was 6' with blonde hair. He was half Korean and Hawaiian on his moms side and without seeing a photo of her you didn't see it at all. He very much looked like a typical northern European white guy. Genetics is wild like that

A friend of mine is half black and I'm still not convinced he's not pulling some long con prank on me because he is the scrawniest whitest boy ever.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Chewbecca posted:

I hope you told them to get all the way hosed then, who does that?!

I'm ginger and neither of my parents are. When I was a baby my dad got 'jokingly' asked so many times by many different people if he was sure I wasn't "the milkman's kid" or some variation that eventually he lost his poo poo and punched a guy for it. My dad can be temperamental but is not a violent man, I can't think of a single other time he got in a fight - it was just that relentless that he eventually exploded. People are bizarre.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I look exactly like my dad and there were always jokes growing up the opposite way "at least you know it's not the milkman's kid!" I don't know why people feel the need to comment on that kind of thing either way. I'm glad your dad punched someone.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i look like my dad but im super pale. all of my siblings look like my mom and are also super pale. when ever my dad was pissed he would scream about how how my mom and her kids are haunting the house. its super hosed up but its a memory that always makes me laugh.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Sigourney Weaver is also covered by that for an easier costume option.

Is she really a princess though? The xenomorphs are the daughters of the Queen so they definitely count, but Ripley is just a space-trucker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ripley’s daughter Amanda from Alien Isolation is the princess, then

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I always thought it was funny that me and my brother take exactly after my mom's side of the family, and my sisters look like my dad's side, to the point where our childhood pictures could be mixed in with our aunts' and uncles' from the corresponding side and you'd think we were all siblings. Even my twin sister and I look nothing alike, but you can instantly tell which side of the family we're from. Genetics are weird.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always thought it was funny that me and my brother take exactly after my mom's side of the family, and my sisters look like my dad's side, to the point where our childhood pictures could be mixed in with our aunts' and uncles' from the corresponding side and you'd think we were all siblings. Even my twin sister and I look nothing alike, but you can instantly tell which side of the family we're from. Genetics are weird.

My twin brother and I found a picture of our parents' wedding with their brothers in it and both out first reactions were "wait, how are we in this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I look exactly like my dad and there were always jokes growing up the opposite way "at least you know it's not the milkman's kid!" I don't know why people feel the need to comment on that kind of thing either way. I'm glad your dad punched someone.

It was especially awkward because his dad was the milkman.