Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That Exorcist UHD looks real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

My Prey 4K Steelbook just shipped from Best Buy. Really excited to watch that one again.

Mine is showing up tomorrow. Pretty pumped as well!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Acquired the 4K of The Driver for £12 and the Kielslowski 'Cinema of Conflict' boxset for £30 at my local HMV, which I think the cashier said was mislabelled but they still honoured the price. Considering it's normally £50 I think that's not bad (though I might have given them the impression I was going to flip it in eBay), if only I could now get a good deal on the Three Colors 4K set.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Ordered Mark of the Devil UHD and Michael Findlay’s Flesh trilogy from VS, hell yeah

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so assault on precinct 13 came out on 4k in theatres about a year ago. and we still have no idea when it will be released on disc?

very annoying. it has to come out, right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PinkoBastard posted:

Ordered Mark of the Devil UHD and Michael Findlay’s Flesh trilogy from VS, hell yeah

Oh poo poo it is the first of the month. Spooky scary

Vinegar Syndrome:

Mark of the Devil 4K
Mother's Day 4K
Blood Sucking Freaks 4K
Rabid Grannies
Magic Crystal
Michael Findlay's Flesh trilogy (The Touch of Her Flesh, The Curse of Her Flesh, and The Kiss of Her Flesh)

Partner labels:

Ashkal: The Tunisian Investigation
Astrakan
Cat City
East End Hustle
Godmonster of Indian Flats
Happer's Comet
Hayride Slaughter/Halloween Horrors double-feature
Inn of the Damned/Night of Fear double-feature
La guerre est finie (The War is Over)
Larry Clark's Marfa Girl 1 and 2
Pretending I'm a Superman: The Tony Hawk Video Game Story
Psycho Paul's Film Festival
Squaring the Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis
The Taking

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Magic Crystal is insane but very very fun.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I watched Magic Crystal a few days ago (it was a rumoured release) and liked it, broad and funny and fun, Amblin-esque and breezy. Some fun effects and decent action. Not my favourite Rothrock joint but I’ll pick it up at some point.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

so assault on precinct 13 came out on 4k in theatres about a year ago. and we still have no idea when it will be released on disc?

very annoying. it has to come out, right?

yeah Deaf Crocodile did the restoration back in March of this year, but its distributed through the AGFA. The 50th Anniversary is in 2026. Not saying they're waiting, but the conceivably could and just continue to do screenings up until then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PinkoBastard posted:

I watched Magic Crystal a few days ago (it was a rumoured release) and liked it, broad and funny and fun, Amblin-esque and breezy. Some fun effects and decent action. Not my favourite Rothrock joint but I’ll pick it up at some point.

We did a double feature one Friday with Magic Crystal and Prince of the Sun and it’s all kinda blended together in my memory. Hopefully this means VS will be getting the latter at some point, because they both have their own wacky merits.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh poo poo. Gonna grab Le Guerre…

I’m huge into Yves Montand’s other big film, Z, and I missed the opportunity to see this one a month or so ago. Love that VS helps support projects like that!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://shoutfactory.com/collections/site-exclusives-gifts-with-purchase/products/the-ring-collection

Shout/Arrow are smart for bundling horror franchises like this. I only want the first, but if I want it bad enough…. I have to buy the sequels.

Oh, just saw they announced Dead Zone 4K and The Man in the Iron Mask 4K as well!

Oh poo poo. Clue and Point Break as well!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 2, 2023

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1708809884957839617?s=20

Oliver Stone just confirmed on Facebook it's a December release.

Shout also has a fourth Shaw Brothers box, as well as a complete Shaun the Sheep TV show Blu-ray.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Egbert Souse posted:

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1708809884957839617?s=20

Oliver Stone just confirmed on Facebook it's a December release.

Shout also has a fourth Shaw Brothers box, as well as a complete Shaun the Sheep TV show Blu-ray.

Aw hell yeah Oppenheimer / JFK double-feature here we go

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Anyone have any experience with Cinestrange Extreme? I'd never heard of it, and they have a blu-ray of the terrible / great film Warriors of Virtue, and it's the only way I can find it anamorphic. It's under the german title 'Creature Zone'. (Just a heads up, the Cinestrange Extreme website has a weird NSFW CGI naked horror lady animation on the homepage.)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

codyclarke posted:

Anyone have any experience with Cinestrange Extreme? I'd never heard of it, and they have a blu-ray of the terrible / great film Warriors of Virtue, and it's the only way I can find it anamorphic. It's under the german title 'Creature Zone'. (Just a heads up, the Cinestrange Extreme website has a weird NSFW CGI naked horror lady animation on the homepage.)

Never heard of it, and their releases seem to be Region B as a heads-up

There's a widescreen upload of it on Google Drive you may want to give a look before taking a test purchase, just in case https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comments/gw5xen/warriors_of_virtue_power_of_the_medallions/

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Best Buy & Amazon have a couple of the same things for sale @ 10 bucks today, blade, lost boys, gremlins, etc.

bb: candyman, blade, the shining, gremlins, lost boys, peanuts halloween special, it, poltergeist, the conjuring 3, van helsing

amazon, dunno anymore, check per title at this point

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I've noticed that playing 4Ks on my Sony UBP-X700 causes the occasional skip or even freeze. It only happens when I play 4Ks, never normal blu-rays. Even just opening and closing the disc tray will resolve it, so I don't know if it's a dust issue or what, but it's really annoying. Has anyone had this issue? Is there a fix short of getting a new 4K player?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
That used to happen with mine pretty regularly, but there was a firmware update a year or two ago that seems to have fixed it. Every now and then a disc will lag for a second or two if I have Dolby Vision, but it’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be. There were times where it would freeze so bad that the player was non responsive and I would have to unplug and reboot it to fix it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My understanding is that it happens most often when the laser is switching layers. Happened yesterday during the Exorcist around the halfway mark or so.

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall
I used to have that issue when playing 3-layer 4k discs with my UBP-X700 - I noticed the base of the player would get quite warm to the touch so I now have it sitting on top of some usb-powered fans to keep it cool. Since then I've only had issues where there's actually an issue with the disc (like obvious smudges or scuffs on the surface or the same thing happening on other players). So I'm guessing it's some sort of a heating/cooling issue, maybe if the player gets too hot the laser can't focus good? Or it could be a total coincidence, and I just happened to hook up fans at the same time as the firmware update came in.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
The freezing thing happened to me enough (always at the worst times) that it sold me a Panasonic player instead. Never looked back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've had the same experience with my X700 where it definitely had a freezing issue that would pop up fairly regularly, then with the update(s) that came along a few years ago that's *mostly* been cleared up. I'll still get the occasional freeze but it happens pretty rarely now and it's solved by just rebooting the disc so it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm pretty certain it was the firmware update that did it because I had several UHDs that always froze at the same spot and then after that update I made a point of testing those discs out and all the sudden they weren't freezing anymore.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I still get the freezing after the update. Off the top of my head, both avatar movies have freezes in the same spots every time, as well as top gun maverick.

Had a brief freeze in Jaws last night but it didn't stop the playback completely like the others did.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lots of Kino Lorber pre-orders are up:

The Edge of the World (Milestone) - Oct 31
Stalag 17 4K - Nov 21
Columbo: The 1970s - Nov 21
The Monster Squad 4K - Nov 28
IOdds Against Tomorrow - Dec 5
The Exiles (Milestone) - Dec 5
Face/Off 4K - Dec 12
The Man Who Wasn't There 3D - Dec 12
Suspect Zero 4K - Dec 12
Underworld [aka Transmutations] 4K - Dec 19

All the 4K releases have a Blu-ray included. Odds Against Tomorrow was previously released as a bare-bones disc by the defunct Olive Films, but Kino will feature a new encode and a commentary by Alan K. Rode. The Monster Squad 4K will include the feature-length making-of documentary. The Man Who Wasn't There is the 80s 3D comedy, featuring a new restoration by 3-D Film Archive with 2D, polarized 3D, and anaglyphic 3D all on the same disc.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man no sneakers announcement yet? Cmon!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh Snap Face/Off in December. It's a Christmas miracle!

https://x.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1709254122015240209?s=20

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 3, 2023

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Barbie finally has a confirmed release date of Oct 17 for separate Blu and UHD editions.

Only extras are the six featurettes that have already been online since the theatrical release and no Dolby Vision.

Lack of extras are obviously due to the strikes, but I'll go out on a limb and predict it's going to get a more substantial release within a year or two from Criterion.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Bottoms should get a Criterion release too then :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No Dolby vision?!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the no Dolby Vision is wild. Couldn't scrape some of that billion down a fraction of a cent to pay for the licensing fee for DV?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
case better be pink

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Best Buy & Amazon have a couple of the same things for sale @ 10 bucks today, blade, lost boys, gremlins, etc.

bb: candyman, blade, the shining, gremlins, lost boys, peanuts halloween special, it, poltergeist, the conjuring 3, van helsing

blu-ray.com is all Amazon deals

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Amazon has the Malcom X Criterion 4K at $25, time was finally right

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

zer0spunk posted:

Gremlins 2 WHEN DAMMIT.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

the no Dolby Vision is wild. Couldn't scrape some of that billion down a fraction of a cent to pay for the licensing fee for DV?

Worth noting that The Flash has Dolby Vision and 2 1/2 hours of extras.

Looking around, there hasn't even been a press release yet.

esperantinc posted:

Gremlins 2 WHEN DAMMIT.

It's an obvious Warner license for Shout Factory considering they've already put out a lot of Joe Dante films.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 3, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Worth noting that The Flash has Dolby Vision and 2 1/2 hours of extras.

yeah there's gotta be more coming. i dont even remember if WB is one to really super double dip on recent releases. Doesnt mean I couldnt see like a 4K edition on the 1 year anniversary with a bunch of extras cased inside of a Barbie Dream Home next year, but it'd be nice to have a simple disc now with extras ready to go. Take till December for all I care.

https://x.com/thediscfather/status/1709231651916816387?s=46

dorium fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 3, 2023

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

First impressions, I feel a little unimpressed with the 4k set for The Toxic Avenger movies. The box feels kind of cheap. This thing cost $100, but it feels like a $40 set. Haven't watched the discs yet, as this just showed up, but... I don't know... do better, Troma!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bro it’s troma lmao. Be thankful it wasn’t in a paper bag with a *turd on the bottom of it.

*Loving put there by Lloyd of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ultraviolence123 posted:

First impressions, I feel a little unimpressed with the 4k set for The Toxic Avenger movies. The box feels kind of cheap. This thing cost $100, but it feels like a $40 set. Haven't watched the discs yet, as this just showed up, but... I don't know... do better, Troma!

I would probably buy just the first movie if they'd let me. I don't need the rest, just being honest.

I got my copy of the mist in, but I don't know if I have it in me to watch that ending rn, might save that one for down the road.

Also oldboy preorder showed up on amazon, no art, no contents..$75 bucks. Hopefully more info soon because what the actual gently caress?

https://www.amazon.com/Oldboy-Deluxe-Ultra-Limited-Blu-Ray/dp/B0CJLYXP9Q/