Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ronwayne posted:

I thought the slimy ham slices were near the bottom as well.

My military rations story is dad telling me how during the vietnam war, since chocolate bars melted in tropical heat, the govt commissioned the hershy chocolate company to fix this problem. The Hershey's Tropical Bar was of such quality that if you gave it to hungry Vietnamese peasant children asking for food they threw it back at your head.

From what I understand, it did not melt, either in the heat or in the human digestive system.

This was apparently considered an improvement over the original WWII chocolate ration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'll keep reminding people that he and the goober he does a podcast with responded to the news of Bucha with "You have to feel sorry for these poor Russian soldiers who were frustrated from being under constant attack."

I listened a bit to his Civil War episodes & thought they were interesting but then heard some where I knew more about the subject & knew there was wildly wrong info and thought what the heck, then pre-Ukraine war there was a long ep declaring how of course there would be no invasion, & bailed at that point. Sounds like he’s gotten much worse.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Piled high.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1708227868180860978

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

are you loving serious. i remember liking parts of his old podcast. he got me partly into ww1 history but this weird "i feel bad for the war criminal" poo poo is gross. those men had a choice, this wasnt some boston massacare "spure of the moment" things. this was loving mass graves and murder in basements poo poo.

Mark Ames is dumb as gently caress and loves war crimes.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 1, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Serbia has 3 brigades with a large artillery component stationed on the border of Kosovo. There are FOBs being constructed on the border to house more.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Just eating sandwiches and teaching little African kids in my ghost jeans

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Serbia has 3 brigades with a large artillery component stationed on the border of Kosovo. There are FOBs being constructed on the border to house more.

Do they not remember how this went down last time?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So weird all the not proving anything proof of life videos. If Mr Hotdog wanted to prove he was alive he would have a video that said, "hi, I'm alive! I wasn't on that plane!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LRADIKAL posted:

So weird all the not proving anything proof of life videos. If Mr Hotdog wanted to prove he was alive he would have a video that said, "hi, I'm alive! I wasn't on that plane!"

Yeah, that the videos don’t acknowledge the issue of his purported death makes me not believe them at all.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGVHCB3Kpc

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm pretty sure he is dead.

I post these as content not as a 9/11 style truther

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ronwayne posted:

I thought the slimy ham slices were near the bottom as well.

My military rations story is dad telling me how during the vietnam war, that since chocolate bars melted in tropical heat, they issued alternatives. The answer, the Hershey's Tropical Bar was of such quality that if you gave it to hungry Vietnamese peasant children asking for food they threw it back at your head.

From what I understand, it did not melt, either in the heat or in the human digestive system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtaBrQ-3EA

Yeah Hershey's Tropical Bar is basically the D ration, which is notoriously unedible

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Britain is discussing sending trainers to Ukraine.

🧨

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They are just called sneakers now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

shadow puppet of a posted:

They are just called sneakers now.

Ah yes the old no boots on the ground get around 👟👟👟🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah his name is Steve

lmao

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

IIRC KFOR are stationed close to the border so if Serbia starts loving around they can soon be reminded about the finding out part.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

biglads posted:

IIRC KFOR are stationed close to the border so if Serbia starts loving around they can soon be reminded about the finding out part.

Britain committed peacekeepers to a NATO mission to Kosovo aswell.

The question is will NATO actually do anything? Honestly some of you may not know but in the background of the Serbia issue the Romanians are having internet signals jammed in Romanian waters. And NATO is doing nothing about it. I've talked about how Russia uses the black sea fleet to flex its muscle, and they're literally doing so against Romania right now as well as Bulgaria. They are invading sovereign waters and impacting internet connections. Those two things are grounds for an article 4 triggering which has not happened yet. So the next logical step for Russia's allies is to test the physical response of NATO. Russia is not going to do that, but they can sure have their little crony Serbia do it against another "rogue" province like kosovo.

Oh and Putin ordered another 140,000 to be drafted into service and sent to Ukraine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 1, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

weg posted:

Russian MRE: Rock or Something?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh and Putin ordered another 140,000 to be drafted into service and sent to Ukraine.

Goondolences to the substandard and mechanically damaged fish yet to be made choc-a-bloc and frosty in their future memories.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Britain committed peacekeepers to a NATO mission to Kosovo aswell.

The question is will NATO actually do anything? Honestly some of you may not know but in the background of the Serbia issue the Romanians are having internet signals jammed in Romanian waters. And NATO is doing nothing about it. I've talked about how Russia uses the black sea fleet to flex its muscle, and they're literally doing so against Romania right now as well as Bulgaria. They are invading sovereign waters and impacting internet connections. Those two things are grounds for an article 4 triggering which has not happened yet. So the next logical step for Russia's allies is to test the physical response of NATO. Russia is not going to do that, but they can sure have their little crony Serbia do it against another "rogue" province like kosovo.

Emphasis mine.

In my uneducated, weekend piss-up, stupid-drunk opinion, NATO is most likely sitting back, chewing some weird-flavoured gum and waiting for the moment where Serbia oversteps some arbitrary line so they can say "lmao loving idiot" before bombing Serbia back into the loving stone age (again), at least if they try anything particularly stupid, even if just to show Russia that the balance of power is way, way imbalanced when push comes to shove, and that Russia has loving none of said power in the grand scheme of things.

As for Russia's Black Sea Fleet pissing about in the sea near Romania...

lmao

A country with no Navy managed to sink a bunch of Russian boats from said fleet, including the loving flagship. These boats cannot be replaced within the region, because NATO says so. The Russian Navy has been exposed as a complete shambles and has all the seaworthiness of a loving colander. NATO does not fear whatever "power" this particular Russian fleet has, and they absolutely have the area covered to fire whatever "warning shots" are necessary should Putin order something even more smoothbrained than what we're currently seeing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Edit:
Re: NATO article triggers, it's down to the discretion of whichever members are affected. Sometimes it pays to be patient and wait for a particularly vicious action before shouting "gently caress you!" and declaring whatever response.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 1, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sorry for Double Post but https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66924404

RusCops feeling the sting.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

In my uneducated, weekend piss-up, stupid-drunk opinion, NATO is most likely sitting back, chewing some weird-flavoured gum and waiting for the moment where Serbia oversteps some arbitrary line so they can say "lmao loving idiot" before bombing Serbia back into the loving stone age (again), at least if they try anything particularly stupid, even if just to show Russia that the balance of power is way, way imbalanced when push comes to shove, and that Russia has loving none of said power in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah, Serbia making a move seems suicidal, but, after Putin stuck his dick in the meat grinder, who knows what's even going on in these idiots' heads anymore.

It does seem like it would be the perfect opportunity for NATO to crush the Serbian invasion and turn back to Russia with a shrug and a goading gesture. Tankies are so sure that the West has bled itself dry, so it would be interesting to see their reactions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like the west is just getting started?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, Serbia making a move seems suicidal, but, after Putin stuck his dick in the meat grinder, who knows what's even going on in these idiots' heads anymore.

It does seem like it would be the perfect opportunity for NATO to crush the Serbian invasion and turn back to Russia with a shrug and a goading gesture. Tankies are so sure that the West has bled itself dry, so it would be interesting to see their reactions.
NATO's donations to Ukraine are like those coins you find down the side of the couch. Yeah they're valuable and will definitely add up to make an important difference in the short term, but if you give them away they're by no means going to break the bank.

Russia is in for the rudest of awakenings should NATO actually have to actively do something as an alliance, rather than act as (incredibly wealthy and prepared) background support. It's loving comical to think about it.

Subjunctive posted:

Honestly, the key's not even in the ignition yet.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 1, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Subjunctive posted:

The West effectively hasn't started, whether due to the donations given being surplus equipment that won't reduce readiness levels or due to decisions to fast track their replacements with modern NATO-standard gear.

One of the key tactics of Russian propaganda is to turn reality entirely on its head and loudly shout "nuh uh" when refuted. It's not remotely persuasive to anyone even vaguely informed, but it's great at roping the credulous and the pre-motivated into an alternate information ecosystem. So, where everyone else sees Russia's military being stretched to a breaking point by the war and NATO countries stronger and more unified than ever, the propaganda inverts things to declare Russia's readiness to roll on Warsaw and Berlin, mashing the freezing and poorly-equipped NATO soldier beneath the treads of a T-14 T-90 T-72 T-80 T-64 T-62 T-55.

That's not to say that Western countries have the ammunition stockpiles ready to go to sustain a long war or that they aren't being a bit laggardly about ramping up production, but they're several orders of magnitude better off than their Russian counterparts.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

MRE chat makes me think of Tasting History with Max Miller, where he makes hellfire stew out of hardtack. That had from when he made some the previous year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVPV-15GL0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

it is I, Prigozhin. Tupac's murderer has just been arrested!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Subjunctive posted:

the primary thing to remember in the theoretical east vs west at this point is that the east is on its second or third string of conscripted ulcer brigades where numerous health and cognitive problems are being ignored just so you can have enough dudes with rifles, and the west has not committed its first wave of fully trained and fit-for-fight volunteers yet

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Coolguye posted:

the primary thing to remember in the theoretical east vs west at this point is that the east is on its second or third string of conscripted ulcer brigades where numerous health and cognitive problems are being ignored just so you can have enough dudes with rifles, and the west has not committed its first wave of fully trained and fit-for-fight volunteers yet

The Ukrainian air force, equipped with a few worn-out soviet era airframes, has managed to fight the russian air force to a draw.

Adding in the air force of virtually any of the NATO/EU nations, singularly, would be catastrophic for russia, to the point where I genuinely think that NATO/EU troops on the ground would be largely irrelevant once air supremecy is established.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

NATO's donations to Ukraine are like those coins you find down the side of the couch. Yeah they're valuable and will definitely add up to make an important difference in the short term, but if you give them away they're by no means going to break the bank.

Russia is in for the rudest of awakenings should NATO actually have to actively do something as an alliance, rather than act as (incredibly wealthy and prepared) background support. It's loving comical to think about it.

Honestly, the key's not even in the ignition yet.

Doccers posted:

The Ukrainian air force, equipped with a few worn-out soviet era airframes, has managed to fight the russian air force to a draw.

Adding in the air force of virtually any of the NATO/EU nations, singularly, would be catastrophic for russia, to the point where I genuinely think that NATO/EU troops on the ground would be largely irrelevant once air supremecy is established.

Yeah there's literally no physical reason to put troops on the ground there (although politically its reassuring). NATO would dunk so hard on Serbia from the air that its hard to put into words without seeming hyperbolical. At this point there's very little to suggest that anything in the Warsaw Pact arsenal would fare any better than Hussein's defenses.... and its been a loooong twenty years of US MIC innovation :patriot:

EDIT

If NATO were to intervene in Ukraine its the same thing. It would be extremely within reason to think that NATO would establish and enforce a no-fly zone over Ukraine within hours, with complete air control in under 72.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
In good news it sounds like the Serbians have pulled back from the border, in bad news Slovakia have voted for a Kremlin stooge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtaBrQ-3EA

Yeah Hershey's Tropical Bar is basically the D ration, which is notoriously unedible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoEt3OvsGc

Turns out Steve has actually had a Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bar as well. (At least I assume it's the same one, it's from the right era)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

If NATO were to intervene in Ukraine its the same thing. It would be extremely within reason to think that NATO would establish and enforce a no-fly zone over Ukraine within hours, with complete air control in under 72.
The West should have started preparing for Operation Steppe Shield when the war began. While I'm sure they've successfully wargamed it by now, folks still need to yell at their representatives to muster the political will.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I sometimes think of myself being able to be very diplomatic, but this dude is just amazing at it. :golfclap:

So, he's probably very good at his job. :v:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

mllaneza posted:

Ukraine is probably out of their pre-war rations by now, which is a drat shame because they looked to be excellent. The really sad part is, they're probably out of people who ever got issued those by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_eFoIemjU

NGL, most of that ration looks like stuff I'd want to keep in my pantry for regular low-effort meals.

Aren't rations designed to make you constipated (so you don't have to suddenly take a random poo poo on the battlefield)?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Aren't rations designed to make you constipated (so you don't have to suddenly take a random poo poo on the battlefield)?

Given the amount of fat an lard in the Ukranian diet, I'm having trouble imagining that to be the case.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I don't think it's by design, it's just that fiber has to compete with calorie density. That and the US government are loving horrible nutritionists, as evidenced by the food pyramid, MyPlate, and corn subsidies.

That said, MRE Pepperoni Pizza Slice is near the top of the menu and has some of the best sides with it. I also give a big thumbs up to Chili Mac and to Chicken Burrito Bowl. Anything texmex works pretty well in my experience.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Every thirty minutes you have to perform a "Greasy Ivan" maneuver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rust Martialis posted:

Every thirty minutes you have to perform a "Greasy Ivan" maneuver

thats russian rations