Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is a forsaken

The super evil witches who aligned with the Dark One in the previous age

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why are they so much more powerful than the modern witch

The world had an apocalypse and no one knows gently caress about gently caress any more

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are the people that control the witches with the pacifier witches too or are they regular non magic people and their wristband sucks their witches power?

The women who can channel wear pacifiers, the women who can control the women who can channel wear gadget watches

Boris Galerkin posted:

I kinda feel like I missed an entire episode because the most recent episode went all in on Lam having a plan and all involving Rand and I don’t remember what led up to it. Also, all of a sudden Rand can use magic now when previously he was only able to use when he was like stressed or in danger?

He's got gently caress all idea what he's doing but he can do some stuff by instinct. Nynaeve's the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Humanity got kind of blasted by an apocalypse, a post-apocalypse apocalyptic backlash, and then a thousand years later, a few hundred years of trollocs throwing themselves at cities like an ocean battering rocks. At minimum, the forsaken are the best of the best from a time when there was simply more people and more knowledge around. That's before you deal with whatever they got from the Dark One.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is “the dark one” more like a Voldemort (regular person who just happens to be super powerful for reasons) or more like a “literally the devil/a god who got locked away” type of person? Or is this something I should ask in the spoiler thread and where would I find it

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is “the dark one” more like a Voldemort (regular person who just happens to be super powerful for reasons) or more like a “literally the devil/a god who got locked away” type of person? Or is this something I should ask in the spoiler thread and where would I find it
Definitely spoiler thread. It is linked in the OP:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you do wanna spoiler talk or book chat, The Book Barn thread is located right here!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

It seems to me the show is definitely screaming at me judging by this episode that the Aes Sedai were/have/had/have a plan of using the Dragon like the the Seanchan did. Previous episode had a bit about how it was one of the Aes Sedai who made the collar thing, and this episode has the Mother or whatever explaining how the Aes Sedai were going to use the Dragon as a weapon, basically, harnessing his power or something. Seems like to me someone just took that magic/technology/thingamajig to the Seanchan to use on all the channelers instead.

Kinda poetic, to be honest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rarity posted:

gadget watches

lol :hmmyes:

everybody hai

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Think about the Forsaken this way: If power goes on a scale of 1-100 they're all at like 80+ but ever since the breaking nobody has really come close to even 70, which is why all the modern day witches are fawning over Egwene and Nynaeve, they have the potential to be the strongest witches anyone alive has ever seen (some witches are capable of sensing raw power levels like in DBZ).

As far as Rand goes, don't forget he's spoken with Logain about lessons at least once on screen. They've also shown that he's capable of channeling consciously, though it's still mainly off of instinct. But he's also liable to lose control as well because he doesn't have full control over it yet.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
For non-book readers, there is an official, Jordan-used-it-to-write-the-books set of power levels with all channelers (both male and female) placeable on it. I advise against searching online for the scale, though, because there are plenty of characters we haven’t seen yet in the show who would appear on that scale. Also there’s no guarantee that the show will retain that as canon anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The show is explicitly not using Jordan's scale. Explaining the differences would probably be spoiler talk tho.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I advise against searching for the official power rankings because the scale it uses makes no goddamn sense

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 1, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I advise against searching foe the official power rankings because the scale it uses makes no goddamn sense

yeah it is so strange and abstruse that it's kind of inherently funny

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just don't search for anything related to wheel of time in Google.

Seriously even just the auto complete can spoil you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well the internet has been obsessing about it for decades.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is the show even doing well on Amazon. I mean I don't see any news articles about it and whether or not its successful or not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Is the show even doing well on Amazon. I mean I don't see any news articles about it and whether or not its successful or not.

Hard to know. It seems to be doing relatively well for an Amazon show but Amazon keeps their metrics mostly under the hood. It doesn't seem to be a smash hit from the first like thr first season was but the later episodes may gain steam.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 1, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hard to know. It seems to be doing relatively well for an Amazon show but Amazon keeps their metrics mostly under the hood. It doesn't seem to be a smash hit from the first like thr first season was but the later episodes may gain steam.

Yeah it doesn't help that Amazon only releases the seasons every 2 years. Hard to keep interest up over a two year period.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is a forsaken

Why are they so much more powerful than the modern witch

As the flashback to the age of legends in season 1 episode 8 showed, the age of legends was cosmopolitan, futuristic society like Star Trek but with wizards instead of replicators. The forsaken are some of the best wizards from the time when free government daycare would test everyone for wizarding potential, and everyone with potential would get free passes to real wizard universities that taught actual wizarding theory. In the forsaken's point of view, the current Aes Sadai are a bunch of dark age barbarians squatting in the ruins of wizard Oxford.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
that's a great way to put it lmao

Nihilarian posted:

I advise against searching for the official power rankings because the scale it uses makes no goddamn sense

yeah it's kinda confusing because he did it once, then reworked the whole thing halfway through when he realized the first one wasn't really adequate, and the overlap just confuses everything so it's kinda best just to not worry about it.

The thing to keep in mind about the power that we've been shown repeatedly is that even if you have the potential to be the strongest channeler possible, if you have no idea what you're doing, then that potential doesn't mean poo poo. Also you have to grow in to it through practice.
Rand's potentially as strong as it's possible to be, but he's still fumbling around and has no idea what he's doing so Siuan can still shield him np. Lanfear is on par with Rand in terms of raw power, but obviously knows exactly what she's doing with the power and treats the Aes Sedai like untrained children by comparison. You can see it with how quickly and easily she tosses Siuan to the side, or opens the waygate almost instantly vs Moiraine. And Moiraine and Siuan are the strongest Aes Sedai around (At least until Egewene, Elayne, and Nynaeve get trained up).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 1, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

golden bubble posted:

As the flashback to the age of legends in season 1 episode 8 showed, the age of legends was cosmopolitan, futuristic society like Star Trek but with wizards instead of replicators. The forsaken are some of the best wizards from the time when free government daycare would test everyone for wizarding potential, and everyone with potential would get free passes to real wizard universities that taught actual wizarding theory. In the forsaken's point of view, the current Aes Sadai are a bunch of dark age barbarians squatting in the ruins of wizard Oxford.

I never watched Star Trek. How would you explain it in terms of Harry Potter?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Comparing the age of legends to sci-fi seems like a fools errand to me, because of the superficial baggage sci-fi carries of laser weapons and space ships.

Definitely appreciating that context of the aes sedai being squatters in the forsaken's oxford being outlined though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Harry Potter is Neoliberalism With British Characteristics, so the exact opposite.

The Age of Legends was fully automated luxury gay magic communism, largely made possible by the tiny fraction of the population who were wizards. Also wizard Oxford was a giant floating sphere, not some stupid castle.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Whole buncha people discussing book information in the TV thread right now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grundulum posted:

Whole buncha people discussing book information in the TV thread right now.

Outside of the discussion of Jordan's weird power level rankings I'm pretty sure everything has been shown in the show.

Shockingly, much of this information will also appear in the books.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't like the way the fight scenes have looked in this show, but I guess that's about what you can expect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It seems like it's slowly building up based on word of mouth. According to Nielsen, this week's episode cracked their streaming top ten list for the first time since the show debuted back in 2021. And every time I log into Prime Video it always shows the show as #1 or #2 on its internal top ten list, but again, Amazon is opaque as poo poo so who knows if any of that can be trusted. The writers and actors strikes happening right before Season 2 dropped certainly didn't do it any favors because neither the cast nor the showrunners could say or do anything to promote it per union rules. So it was up to Amazon themselves to try and get the word out on it.

And, well, let's face it, a lot of people didn't like the first season, and it's hard work to win people back over when you lose them like that. Something Awful seems to be one of the few places online that I've seen that's anywhere near warm on the show. There's a lot of extremely online book purist shitheads out there who've seemingly made it their life's mission to just flood the zone with poo poo any time the topic of the show comes up anywhere online to try and sour people on it, and they've been hard at work since the drat thing was first announced. So, again, no favors done there either.

I guess we'll see after next week if there's any hide or hair of a Season 4 renewal announcement or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I never watched Star Trek. How would you explain it in terms of Harry Potter?

Children from all around the galaxy go to a space magic school in San Francisco called Starfleet Academy and are sorted into one of five houses: Command, Science, Medical, Engineering, and Security. They learn how to do space magic called "science" and fire beams of energy from their wands called "phasers" and then they graduate go to flying castles in the void of space called starships and they zip around all over the place faster than the speed of light doing space magic for all the Muggles, ie: people who aren't in Starfleet, to make their lives better while constantly under threat from They Who Must Not Be Named--ie: literally every other alien race in the galaxy, but usually just the Borg. The Borg are Voldemort, they're unstoppable bald pale-skinned motherfuckers in dark clothes and they're obsessed with the protagonists for some stupid reason.

Oh and Gene Roddenberry wasn't a TERF like JK Rowling is, but he WAS the same level of weird shithead she was and also wound up being damnatio memoriae'd from his franchise for it too just like Rowling was.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

One of the things that came out of the writers strike is streamers have to disclose metrics for royalty purposes now. Unclear if its only disclosed to the writers or the general public but even if it's only the writers/other royalty holders it'll be much more likely the information makes its way out to the public.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jehde posted:

Comparing the age of legends to sci-fi seems like a fools errand to me, because of the superficial baggage sci-fi carries of laser weapons and space ships.

Definitely appreciating that context of the aes sedai being squatters in the forsaken's oxford being outlined though.

We never saw it, but my assumption was they had in fact laser weapons and space ships.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nine-gear crow posted:

Children from all around the galaxy go to a space magic school in San Francisco called Starfleet Academy and are sorted into one of five houses: Command, Science, Medical, Engineering, and Security. They learn how to do space magic called "science" and fire beams of energy from their wands called "phasers" and then they graduate go to flying castles in the void of space called starships and they zip around all over the place faster than the speed of light doing space magic for all the Muggles, ie: people who aren't in Starfleet, to make their lives better while constantly under threat from They Who Must Not Be Named--ie: literally every other alien race in the galaxy, but usually just the Borg. The Borg are Voldemort, they're unstoppable bald pale-skinned motherfuckers in dark clothes and they're obsessed with the protagonists for some stupid reason.

Oh and Gene Roddenberry wasn't a TERF like JK Rowling is, but he WAS the same level of weird shithead she was and also wound up being damnatio memoriae'd from his franchise for it too just like Rowling was.

Now it all makes sense. Thanks!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Turin Turambar posted:

We never saw it, but my assumption was they had in fact laser weapons and space ships.

They had flying cars.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Nihilarian posted:

I hope El Hermano is at the top, still

My partner loves this show, the "I'm a monster, too" line was a great hit for them. I like the show too even if it has some glaring problems, the cast is pretty good and I enjoy the diversity. I just hope the showrunners know what they're doing because sometimes it feels like they don't? But eh

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

KilGrey posted:

They had flying cars.

I couldn't remember if that was actually in this show or some other show I've watched because it's been two years but yeah there's definitely a flying vehicle shown in one of the last age snippets.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

I couldn't remember if that was actually in this show or some other show I've watched because it's been two years but yeah there's definitely a flying vehicle shown in one of the last age snippets.

Yeah, the final shot of the opening of 1x08 is a reprise of the opening of 1x01 where you see the same landscape shot before and after the Breaking and you see that the "mountains" from Episode 1 are the remains of the skyscrapers seen in Episode 8. And during that shot there's all sorts of vehicles flying around in the foreground and background.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I was traveling a lot in September but just caught up on this. Season 2 has been great! I'm loving what they've done with basically all of the villains this season. Selene was boring me incredibly for the first few epsiodes, but I've flipped and am completely on board with every single scene she's been in as Lanfear.

Does anyone feel like they might be setting up Liandrin for some sort of future redemption arc, or turning into a double agent or something? The impression I was getting from Lanfear killing her son was along the lines of, rather than breaking her spirit or "converting" her or whatever Lanfear was intending to happen, this is going to be the seed of resentment that Liandrin is going to harbor and then later gently caress over and betray the Forsaken down the line at some pivotal moment. We've already seen her willing to spite the Seanchan over something much more petty.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

If she's doing it for spite is it really redemption?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Well you know what I mean. I feel like "former villain character who defects and helps the good guys" is a common enough trope, and Liandrin has gotten quite a lot more characterization this season over last, to where it seems like they're going to do Something with her arc where she'll be more than just a henchman second fiddle to the Forsaken.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through book one on audiobook.

I don't really know how it's shaping out, but it seems very Tolkien derivative. I felt that way about the first season also, I watched it twice as my wife wanted a refresher before S2. By the end of the second run at season 1 I was ready to just never watch any of it any more. I found it completely dull and predictable. Season 2 was a really pleasant surprise. The finale I thought everything was sorted and they'd move onto a new threat, but Rand actually making things worse was much better for me dramatically. I've really enjoyed most episodes, Moraine, Lanfear and Egwene being particular highlights as far as their travails go, and Mat's new actor livening up his scenes.

I do wonder on the last episode, the Amerlyn seat is letting Moraine go isn't she? She knows Moraine is going and could tell her to stop. Her saying please is encouraging Moraine to go. That's how I read it anyway.

Spoilers for the book stuff.

Rand - The actor reminds me of Hayden Christensen in Star Wars. He grimaces and glowers in place of acting. I hope he gets better but I dunno if he will. As a character, he's avoiding his fate and getting tortured until he decides to confront it at the latter episodes. LET'S HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR HIM. -Book 1- Seems to be pretty much par for the course, except Book 1 he's a bit more reckless at points, which is part of dragon reborning I guess. Seeking out confrontations with the whitecloaks as part of the headrush of his growing power. He's a bit dim.

Moraine - Great actress- As a character I'm interested to see what she does next. I thought it was a very short time to be cut off for the source dramatically. Vs the book- No observations. She seems a little less explicitly willing to kill the 4 Two Rivers folk in the book but both versions of the character have expressed SOME willingness, but Book Moraine has a bit more potential regret if she does.

Nyneave - OK actress. Not given much to do- Plotwise, I can see why she's acting the way she's acting, but it doesn't make it more fun to watch. A good person who isn't a particularly nice one. Like Moraine. Book- She's a bit more annoying if anything. Her internal monologue is not preferable to hearing nothing of what she thinks about Moraine, the warder etc.

Egwene - I thought she was fine until the last couple of episodes, now I think she's a highlight. Great stuff. Plotwise-She has some agency, and the capture and torture stuff with her unbroken I really was impressed by. I can't wait till she beats the poo poo out of that evil woman. -Book Not as much has happened. She's showing a bit more independence in terms of liking men than in the show (so far), like it's her and Rand in the show, or its her alone, but she has more romantic agency in the book. But hasn't beat anyone up yet.

Matt - I much prefer the newer actor. The original one was way too sullen and cowardly. I didn't see, in how it was played, why anyone would like him. New actor has more obvious charisma and is more lighthearted even if things are crappy. - He's still backing out of everything, even though he has a reason for his last backout (the Min prophecy). I think he could have said something though about why he was backing out. It felt like one of those dramatic situations in a sitcom where you are screaming at the television to just say what you mean instead of walking off and smouldering. Book - He's still got the dagger and he's very moany. Now he won't leave the room. I want to punch him in the face or stab him with the dagger. Also Rand has not seemed to put the idea that the dagger is to blame together at all yet. He knows the dagger is bad, and Mat keeps clutching it. But nope.

Perrin - Stolid is how I would describe the acting. Everything is slow with a frown. -I quite like his happenings. I'm just not sure where it's going or why it should matter in the great scheme of things. Wolves. I like his Aiel friend. Book 1. The same. He's stolid. It's a bit silly where both he and Rand think about the other as the expert in dealing with women.

Lan - Grand acting. It's a role for blank faces and vaguely tinged with regret/nobility/things and the actor is grand at it. - In the show I quite like him establishing agency with him trying to deal with Moraine telling him to gently caress off and doing things by himself. It's probably important to be seen as an individual in terms of the show. Book 1: He's not an individual. Basically Strider in service to someone before he becomes Aragorn in LOTR.

Liandrin - Stellar cheekbone work, and she is a massive bitch. I enjoy watching her. Great sensitivity with the son too. - In the show- Perfectly willing to accept her as evil from the get go. I would never eat soup with her. She would poison it and laugh mirthlessly. - Book 1 - not in yet

Lanfear - I don'twant to be a creep but I appreciated her outfits. She's very charismatic and carries her scenes with Rand well. - Plot- I was surprised not all the evil folk are on the same page. I want to see what she does next. - Book 1- not in the book yet.

Ishamel - Dude has a great look. Just great. Pretty standard evil fare, but I'm liking it. - Plot- He's pulling the strings and whatnot. Great. Not in the book.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah the first book was intentionally written to feel similar to LOTR to draw people in before the series could start going wild. It came out in 1989, the fantasy genre was nowhere near where it is now (and lots of the genre's growth is because of this series)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not just to draw people in. Eye Of The World was written at a time when publishers were very wary of this fantasy stuff, and hesitated to publish anything that was too different from the what was already proven popular. In 1990, that meant either aggressive clones of LOTR or trashy D&D tie-ins that were closer to advertising than a product in and of themselves. After the first book was a success, Jordan had an easier time selling to the publisher, but he had to get that first book before anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Oh thank god. I kind of started listening, and I like LOTR but it felt slavish in how it followed things so far. I was afraid it would keep going except over many many more pages/hours and I'd tap out early.