Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The end result was about what I hoped for coming into the season for the Cubs, but watching them collapse the last two weeks was not fun to watch.

Sign Bellinger, please bring back Hendricks, at least try to get Ohtani. If all the young guys who came up this year make some small improvements then we have a really solid team. Oh and get a couple of good bullpen arms please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The games I went to this year were

-Nelson Velazquez grand slam game.
-Hendricks first start (extremely cold and kyle got shelled :( )
-Bellinger 2 dinger game vs. KC
-Comeback against Giants on Carlos Zambrano Day
-Comeback against Rockies when I was sure they would make the playoffs

Overall, a good time at old ballyard.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
By the same this season without Cody I meant if you expect PCA/Canario/Mervis to get called up and they contribute the best outcome you can probably hope for is all of that making up for not having Cody but the team won't actually be better.

Cody absolutely should be a Cub and I hope it happens. He seems to like it in Chicago and the Cubs have the money.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

-Nelson Velazquez grand slam game.

The Chicago Baseball Oafs picked a great one to attend this year.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
:sigh:

Miz Kriss posted:

:rip: TIMELINE OF LOSERS :rip:

• August 23, 2023
    The Oakland Athletics are eliminated from playoff contention.

• August 30, 2023
    The Kansas City Royals are eliminated from playoff contention.

• September 7 8, 2023
    The Colorado Rockies are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 10, 2023
    The Chicago White Sox are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 17, 2023
    The Los Angeles Angels are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 18, 2023
    The Washington Nationals are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 19, 2023
    The St Louis Cardinals are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 20, 2023
    The Boston Red Sox are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 22, 2023
    The New York Mets are eliminated from playoff contention
    The Cleveland Guardians are eliminated from playoff contention
    The Detroit Tigers are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 24, 2023
    The New York Yankees are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 26, 2023
    The San Francisco Giants are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 29, 2023
    The San Diego Padres are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 30, 2023
    The Chicago Cubs are eliminated from playoff contention

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

He seems to like it in Chicago

Which other teams are in states with legal weed?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Rockies?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

All the California/New York teams, Boston, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Mariners, Tigers, Nationals, Twins

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

All the California/New York teams, Boston, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Mariners, Tigers, Nationals, Twins

There's your short list of landing spots :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh and the White Sox but thankfully they are incapable of signing anyone over $100 million.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hope Seiya loving owns as much as he did at the end of the year, he carried this team and it would be cool if we got an all star season from him.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Maryland legalized it this year

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Popete posted:

you forgot the ultimate weed team, the blue jays

we aint a state but dang it were still in contention and we got weed

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

By the same this season without Cody I meant if you expect PCA/Canario/Mervis to get called up and they contribute the best outcome you can probably hope for is all of that making up for not having Cody but the team won't actually be better.

Cody absolutely should be a Cub and I hope it happens. He seems to like it in Chicago and the Cubs have the money.

Ross will never play the young guys. If Belli is gone, it'll be like Aaron Hicks in Center or some other washout.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

St Louis 😘

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

IF KYLE HENDRICKS DOESN'T RETIRE A CUB I WILL PERSONALLY RIOT

AND MY AXE

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The 2023 Mariners aren't too surprising a team to be eliminated. #3-4 starter/Cy Young winner Robbie Ray got injured in his first start and was out for the rest of the year. The normal depth #5 starter Marco Gonzales got injured not too long after. This pressed into service two rookies that hadn't seen any action above AA, Bryce Miller and Bryan Woo. Both of them pitched well enough but it was a huge blow to the major strength of the team.

Meanwhile, on offense, president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto didn't get the chance to break out the war chest for any major free agents, and could only swing a couple of relatively moves for improvements compared to what was out there. Longtime fan favorite Mitch Haniger left, and Dipoto tradied away Erik Swanson and a pitching prospect for Teoscar Hernandez to fill his void. A friend told me that he'd start extremely slow before making you believe he was the best hitter in baseball. Well, that was pretty true. He had two incredible months and was average to below-average otherwise. He is now a free agent and unlikely to receive more than a QO in my mind.

The other major moves made in the offseason was signing AJ Pollock and trading for Kolten Wong. Despite only playing in 49 games and 62 games respectively, it felt like they managed to completely kill the Mariners' squad after night after night of godawful play before mercifully being DFA'd way too late. To me, what ended up sinking the Mariners was that these relatively safe low-ceiling/high-floor moves completely blew up in their face and forced them to play a rotating cast of replacement-level players because they were legitimate improvements on how bad the guys they had replaced were.

In addition to new guys Wong and Pollock being awful, a couple of other important players took big steps back. Eugenio Suarez played every game of the season but lost a bit of his power, struck out more, and got on base less. All star Ty France appeared to run completely out of steam midway through the year and could no longer spray hits over the field. Julio had a rough start before recovering for one of the best months by any player ever in August. August in general showed what this team could be if everyone was clicking simultaneously, but that sort of thing is impossible to count on. What the Mariners need to do in the offseason is improve their lineup in a way that will cover for those times when the stars slump a bit because the team was a slightly below .500 team when Julio wasn't hitting very well. They tried to do this when trading away closer Paul Sewald for Josh Rojas and Dominic Canzone. Rojas has been really great after the rotating cast of losers playing 2B for the team while Canzone just wasn't good outside of a couple awesome moments. I don't know how they'll be able to improve their lineup meaningfully when there's only one good free agent that'll be up for grabs, and he's 100% going to the Dodgers, but Dipoto loves his trades.

Regardless, I do love the core down the middle of the Mariners and think they are theoretically poised for a run one year. Cal Raleigh took a step forward as the premier power hitting catcher that also has a great arm. JP Crawford is the 2nd best offensive shortstop in the AL and the team's captain. And, of course, in center field is Julio Rodriguez who really is one of the best players in baseball. Plus the team will get back Ray next year, putting some pressure off of either Miller or Woo. The bullpen is usually pretty good no matter who is out there. So there's definitely a great core to this team. It's just what makes it so frustrating to see them being a bubble team when one more star or two more above-average hitters pushes this team to contending for the division.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man this boy had it ready to go second 1 of the Mariners being eliminated.

Way to curse your team ahead of time lol.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The M's had a rough September but the fact that they were in this position at all is impressive considering their love affair with being .500 half the season

Still gonna be a scary team next year

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

The M's had a rough September but the fact that they were in this position at all is impressive considering their love affair with being .500 half the season

Still gonna be a scary team next year

If they had Ray things would have been different

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

goms forever.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yeah I don’t have a whole drat thing written in Notepad++ ready to go, I’m gonna need a few days to collect myself and effortpost

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Wayne Knight posted:

goms forever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

definitely goms tomorrow

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
All fans of teams that banged trash cans can leave for their own threads at any time they want.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

MrMidnight posted:

If they had Ray things would have been different

good point, they would have been eliminated a week sooner at least

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Pungry posted:

All fans of teams that banged trash cans can leave for their own threads at any time they want.

Nah we can stay here. Bang bang!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
maybe if the Mariner's didn't want this to happen they could have not signed Kolten Wong

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
somehow the Oakland A's have managed to get to 50 wins. Tremendous gutsy, gritty effort to get up to the level of merely being dogshit garbage instead of Literally The Worst Team Ever as they were on trajectory to be.

Now just got to hope John Fisher (who has always unequivocally been dogshit garbage) screws up this corrupt as-hell relocation like the failson he is.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
as a devoted fan of lovely baseball I’m honestly devastated that the 2023 Oakland Athletics, who we all had such high hopes for, ultimately proved inadequate to the task of blowing rear end at a truly historic level

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

they looked like they were going to blow away the negative run diff record and instead ended up being only a very bad team, what a shame

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Cubs scoring 10 runs the day it doesn’t matter anymore is so perfect. Adios 2023. Sign some interesting players next year.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

why didn't they build the whole mariners' season out of july and august? :thunk:

the 2023 m's went from frustratingly disappointing to the most electric exciting thing ever back to frustratingly disappointing. someday i will be free of this affliction. i hope it's through a world series championship, but death will free me if that fails to manifest. all that said, i'm (probably foolishly) optimistic about the future. aside from 2B, they're set up the middle from catcher to centerfield for a number of years, starting pitching is good and/if young, and GOMS voodoo means the bullpen will likely be solid enough to pretty drat good. they need to pick up bats in the offseason and i hope management is chastened by the result of them not doing so last offseason. and maybe they need to work on some conditioning so everyone is not so gassed at the end of the year.

this year sucked, but the contention window is still pretty wide open.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio raised his average by like 40 points and OPS by like 100 points in a two week span, that was simply incredible

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

elentar posted:

as a devoted fan of lovely baseball I’m honestly devastated that the 2023 Oakland Athletics, who we all had such high hopes for, ultimately proved inadequate to the task of blowing rear end at a truly historic level

The Cleveland Spiders were really, REALLY bad. The 2023 A's didn't even get halfway to their negative run differential.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I understand Oakland being extremely terrible, even more than usual. I mean, their team name and identity got ripped right under them, their fans protested and boycotted the stadium for years, which only strengthened the owner's resolve to move, and by the time fans came back to "reverse boycott" it was too late. Hell, I'd feel like giving up too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hard to believe the fans didn't want to fill the seats after the team traded off pretty much any player who made any money

Aledmys loving Diaz was the highest paid player this year

e: oh sorry he was #2 by half a million, Trevor May was the highest paid

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

RIP to the Cubs, although I am glad that Cody won't have an opportunity to punish the Dodgers in the playoffs. Look at the brightside, Cubs fans, now you have 13 weeks of Bears football to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Traxis posted:

RIP to the Cubs, although I am glad that Cody won't have an opportunity to punish the Dodgers in the playoffs. Look at the brightside, Cubs fans, now you have 13 weeks of Bears football to look forward to.

That’s not a bright side