Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's also a whole slew of eink tablets now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

brilliant, amazon, thank you. i was just going to buy this part for a vintage sewing machine, but now that you bring it up, i would like to also buy parts for a washing machine and a refrigerator

"you looked at ford focus headlamps. maybe you would also like to buy vw golf headlamps...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

"you looked at ford focus headlamps. maybe you would also like to buy vw golf headlamps...

this is the result of thousands of people looking at billions of transactions, building detailed personal behavioral profiles for 20% of the earth’s population and ruthlessly optimizing this process for over two decades and we’re still not past “you bought a refrigerator, here’s 5 more refrigerators!”

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

The Fool posted:

there's also a whole slew of eink tablets now

yeah, I have one of them.

i first started looking into the other digital notes system, then decided I'd have to go for the e ink tablet type of device.

and it turns out they all suck because they either have their own os that sucks, or run some ancient version of android that you need to hack yourself in order to install modern apps

every feature that needs connectivity invariably sucks on all of them, so im stuck manually exporting my files to dropbox from my french remarkable knockoff. if it could automatically sync my notes somewhere (not a proprietary app or web interface) id love the thing.

maybe we need a few more generations of these devices before they work in a way that i like. then again, i have a very strong reaction to all kinds of interfaces (hate itunes and spotify and the new slack menu) so im hard to please

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its very very well understood that peeps fail to return broken poo poo, they just throw it out and buy a new one. including white goods

mystes
May 31, 2006

The whitest of white goods

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

rotor posted:

the shaper router is absolutely not designed for production work

Yeah I watched a few more videos on it, all of which screamed "we got this for free and get a cut of sales if you use our code" kind of thing. I could see it being useful for some one off work, but I use my CNC router more for plastic than wood, which is very very unforgiving to variable cut rates. Not to mention the few times I've cut aluminum with it, and the terrifying sounds that makes.

I'm curious about ease of servicing the drive motors, and at least one video was talking about features that were software locked behind a $100 up-charge.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i am moderately tempted to get a remarkable tablet exclusively so that i could have a go at porting decker to run on it and achieve a nirvana of "programmable paper", but i fear that the porting process would be extremely unpleasant

i'd probably also need to implement some sort of handwritng recognition dealio

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Janitor posted:

i am moderately tempted to get a remarkable tablet exclusively so that i could have a go at porting decker to run on it and achieve a nirvana of "programmable paper"

this would be absolutely amazing

i can understand why you may not want to dedicate your time to it, but, my god, it would be incredible if it were actually as functional as decker is on the desktop

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what is decker, google has been useless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Fool posted:

what is decker, google has been useless

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561097&userid=136483#post527349326

it's internet janitor's modern hypercard and it is great

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ok, that's awesome

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

apart from the general pain of taking a complex desktop application and trying to deal with all the weird performance and usability problems of cramming it into a slow embedded device, it would be kind of a bummer to do all that work to target a specific manufacturer's device that not many people have

i really, really like the idea of decker on an e-ink tablet but as a lone developer i'm not sure it's the best use of my time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't know much about what those tablets run, would the web version not work on it?

decker is awesome as hell, but yeah i can't imagine that being very well worth the effort (assuming it's not some android derivative or something)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

apart from the general pain of taking a complex desktop application and trying to deal with all the weird performance and usability problems of cramming it into a slow embedded device, it would be kind of a bummer to do all that work to target a specific manufacturer's device that not many people have

i really, really like the idea of decker on an e-ink tablet but as a lone developer i'm not sure it's the best use of my time

it absolutely isn't and unless there's a more portable way of running it either via a native apk or a web framework that somehow doesn't suck, it's a fools errand

but yeah, it would be incredible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

it is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
omar rizwan, who i went to pluteschool with, did a hone baked dynamicland thats actually oss once, i forget if he still gives a poo poo about it

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EricBauman posted:

every feature that needs connectivity invariably sucks on all of them, so im stuck manually exporting my files to dropbox from my french remarkable knockoff. if it could automatically sync my notes somewhere (not a proprietary app or web interface) id love the thing.

I have a remarkable2 and it at least claims to sync to google drive. Haven’t tried it. They’ve been updating it very consistently and it’s much better than the day it arrived. I didn’t want to spend much on a device that would be dependent on software from a relatively unknown company that could fold at any moment, so what sold me on it is that you don’t have to use their software at all. It can run a little webserver and you can upload files to it from that. You can also ssh to it pretty easily. They provide the services and the ways around their services, and I respect that.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i think i'm going to settle for doing some tidying up to make it easier to swap out the sdl2 bits the c version of Decker depends on for an alternative set of low-level IO functions

maybe if i'm lucky and i keep working hard at it someday decker will become sufficiently high-profile to attract the interest of other devs to handle ports for more platforms

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
don't most of those e-ink tablets run android though? i thought you already had an android port going

i mean, regardless it's probably linux anyway, i would think sdl2 might still be a good option

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

afaik the remarkable tablets use a custom linux-based os

i have a mostly-working android build of decker, but i completely lost motivation on it because android's ideas of application life cycle and filesystem access are a huge pain in the rear end; i'd have to turn the whole structure of the application into a pretzel, completely rework a bunch of dialog boxes, and rewrite most of sdl2's JNI wrapper to work around irreconcilable differences from POSIX/Windows to have a version that felt "native"

web-decker works fine on android devices anyway; it just has worse performance than a native version would and a few features like saving are hobbled by browser apis

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

omar rizwan, who i went to pluteschool with, did a hone baked dynamicland thats actually oss once, i forget if he still gives a poo poo about it

I went to plute school btw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i went to a state school

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

afaik the remarkable tablets use a custom linux-based os

i have a mostly-working android build of decker, but i completely lost motivation on it because android's ideas of application life cycle and filesystem access are a huge pain in the rear end; i'd have to turn the whole structure of the application into a pretzel, completely rework a bunch of dialog boxes, and rewrite most of sdl2's JNI wrapper to work around irreconcilable differences from POSIX/Windows to have a version that felt "native"

web-decker works fine on android devices anyway; it just has worse performance than a native version would and a few features like saving are hobbled by browser apis

hmm fun workaround: if there's a "regular" linux version you can almost certainly get it to run under termux, probably without any modification

that's obviously not ideal though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i went to a state school

I went to multiple state schools!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i went to a plute school. and also a state school and also a lovely private one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

...hello...jpeg???
:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

have you considered that dead reckoning is an absolute bitch tho and barely worth getting right on, like, missiles and ships, never mind lovely little pens?
cursive over ground

mystes
May 31, 2006

A YOSPOS murder mystery series

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i was kicked out of a mediocre state school (0.34 gpa baby)

went on to work at two different pac-10 schools where i bossed around meng and phd folks

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i went to the school of hard knocks

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's ok, you can knock quieter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have you considered that dead reckoning is an absolute bitch tho and barely worth getting right on, like, missiles and ships, never mind lovely little pens?

Well it depends. Are we above or below the Arctic circle?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

with moleskine, the entire sheet of paper has a pattern on it used by the pen's camera

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Sagebrush posted:

Well it depends. Are we above or below the Arctic circle?

lol. be careful, you'll summon her...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

with moleskine, the entire sheet of paper has a pattern on it used by the pen's camera

the one system of this i like is whitelines, because the paper itself is the selling point - the whole thing is very slightly grey, and the lines (or grid or dots if you're a nerd) are lighter, which is a much more pleasing thing to stare at imo and makes your markings stand out a lot better. to that they added some symbols on the corners that let an app automatically orient it in a picture and correct for the phone being off-angle at all, and it can trivially remove the background without you needing some magic ultra-dark ink or whatever.

so you're not buying the special paper as a material required for the digitizing system, you're buying it because it's actually a good product on its own that they just added the digitizing feature to

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

whitelines
don't do it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got one of those (well a knockoff version) from my cousin’s wife, they’re pretty neat. not too bad writing quality on mine. a bit thick, but easy to write stuff down as i’m cooking, which is what i used it for mostly.

it needs batteries to clear the screen, and i need to replace mine so i can keep using it.

i wonder how big they can make them, it’d be cool to have a whole blackboard like that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

whatever turns you on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i didn't realize they made boogie boards that are semi-transparent, so you can trace over stuff with them and have swappable inserts with different kinds of graph paper and the like. that's kinda neat