Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nettle Soup posted:

Maybe dumpling wrappers? But having made them the other day, I think again it might be done better with a pasta machine.
A pasta machine makes dumpling wraps quickly, and much more tender than the ones you can buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

for sure a pasta machine is better, but if you're gonna alton brown-it then yeah you could potentially make a tortilla press work, just on a smaller scale or for niche pasta varietals. i like the idea of it cause its how a slippery slope starts - a lot of my purchases for more specialized equipment generally happen because im trying to force something to do something else, and it totally does work, but as i'm getting deeper into the waters i realize i'm gonna want the thing that was made specifically to do a certain job.

this is how i got a pizza oven, a smoker, tortilla press, pasta machine, my

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I just had to GIS Manchego cheese to see if it somehow looks different than I remember (it doesn't) :wtc:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll probably get another pasta machine some day but that's not today. I want to build a tortilla press and I've just been imagining what else I could use it for.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We've made mu shu wrappers with our Tortilla press: plastic, dough disc, thin layer of toasted sesame oil, dough disc, plastic.

Two dough discs each end up half the thinness you could otherwise achieve, which is exactly what we want for this application. The oil helps you separate after pressing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, stealing this! Thanks so much.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

this is how i got a pizza oven, a smoker, tortilla press, pasta machine, my

This made me laugh so hard it woke my cat up, oh my god.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
We got a new dishwasher (Bosch 100 without the top rack) and I can't seem to get my Nordicware half sheet pans to fit, even after moving the top rack to the top position. (Unless there's a third secret higher level I haven't found yet.)

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a half sheet pan that's like an inch narrower? The Nordicware is 12.9" wide, for reference. The length is fine.

Or is this where I just hammer the sides straight up from their flared position and give up their stacking abilities

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tilt yer sheets

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking for large sealable food storage bins for use at room temp, something that would fit a shelf at least a foot high and a foot deep. Is there something food-grade that you'd recommend (especially for deterring household pests) or should I just pick up some larger general-purpose plastic bins at a Target/Home Depot/IKEA etc.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Looking for large sealable food storage bins for use at room temp, something that would fit a shelf at least a foot high and a foot deep. Is there something food-grade that you'd recommend (especially for deterring household pests) or should I just pick up some larger general-purpose plastic bins at a Target/Home Depot/IKEA etc.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vendor/cambro.html

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

effika posted:

We got a new dishwasher (Bosch 100 without the top rack) and I can't seem to get my Nordicware half sheet pans to fit, even after moving the top rack to the top position. (Unless there's a third secret higher level I haven't found yet.)

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a half sheet pan that's like an inch narrower? The Nordicware is 12.9" wide, for reference. The length is fine.

Or is this where I just hammer the sides straight up from their flared position and give up their stacking abilities

aren't nordicware pans bare aluminum? if you've already been putting them in the dishwasher then whatever, but if you haven't, the detergent can turn them gray and flakey

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

You know, I remember seeing this brand posted here a while back and was hoping that someone would bring them up again. Are these sold in any brick & mortar locations, or would I have to order them online?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

You know, I remember seeing this brand posted here a while back and was hoping that someone would bring them up again. Are these sold in any brick & mortar locations, or would I have to order them online?

I think costco sells a subset of their products? Any local restaurant supply store will. Don't think you'll see them at your local home goods store though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah Costco had these 3 packs of 4 qt Cambros for something like $12.

They come with tight fitting lids

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah Costco had these 3 packs of 4 qt Cambros for something like $12.

They come with tight fitting lids

They also have a 2-pack of the square 6L ones for the same price

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

I think costco sells a subset of their products? Any local restaurant supply store will. Don't think you'll see them at your local home goods store though.

Hmmm, gonna have to check our local Costco knock-off (BJ's) for these. I know a couple of kitchen supply stores locally but I don't know that they are restaurant-scale. Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Tilt yer sheets

The tines aren't tall enough to support a tilted sheet unfortunately. It just falls over.

hypnophant posted:

aren't nordicware pans bare aluminum? if you've already been putting them in the dishwasher then whatever, but if you haven't, the detergent can turn them gray and flakey

Yeah they're all grey and matte now, but aren't flaking. I don't mind. They always have parchment on them anyway.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you're willing to bend your sheets, would you be willing to bend your tines instead?

You can lean against other dishes or against the inside wall.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think you can also remove the top rack completely? Check the manual. (Yes, you can put it back again.)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
In my Boschwasher, there was a raised indentation on both sides runnning all the way to the back that my Nordicware half sheets slid into and were held in place perfectly, without interfering with the washing arm. Only one when the silverware basket is in.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
We got the absolute cheapest model and I think we should have paid the $300 for the next step up. A spot for a sheet pan makes a lot of sense and is definitely not present with this one's rack.

Yeah I'll get to bending some times or making a little support for the pan so it won't fall over when angled.

We weren't able to test this exact model in the store for pots & pans. Lesson learned! At least it cleans better than the dead Kenmore it replaced.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've said it before but it's crazy nobody makes high quality replacement racks for the main popular dishwashers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah my dishwasher does an excellent job, but the rack layout just absolutely sucks for my needs. I guess they figure people don’t eat family dinners anymore, so nobody uses serving bowls, so the lower rack is literally 100% for plates.

For sheet pans, I can put one along the side, not vertical, but leaning in diagonally across the tops of the plates/etc to avoid the arm. That works fine, I don’t need any special support for it

v if their life is like mine, probably grease from stuff like chicken quarters

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 27, 2023

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

effika posted:

Yeah they're all grey and matte now, but aren't flaking. I don't mind. They always have parchment on them anyway.
So...what's getting on them that they need to go through the dishwasher for?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

:same: I have greyed quarter and half sheet pans for greasy or oily jobs, and shiny new aluminum for everything else.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Ah. I tend to use either silicone sheet liners (if I don't have to slide whatever I'm baking off them) or parchment (if I do), and line with aluminum foil if I'm doing anything that's going to dump a lot of fat/oil/cheese/whatever all over the sheet. Then most of the time all it needs is a wipe off with a damp towel.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Yup, stuff like that, leaky sweet potatoes, etc. It's so much nicer to just toss it in than try to wash it off in a kitchen sink.

I think I got it rigged up well enough. I just do not understand why they have so much space available and waste it all with terrible tines, yeah.

I was bored today and called Bosch's customer line to see what they said and they kept offering suggestions that my model can't do (tall item sprinkler, move the top rack up to the third position, fold down the left set of tines so I could angle it better). We'd double check the model number and they'd apologize, saying they'll take my (clearly uncommon) baking sheet needs into consideration for future models.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

C-Euro posted:

Hmmm, gonna have to check our local Costco knock-off (BJ's) for these. I know a couple of kitchen supply stores locally but I don't know that they are restaurant-scale. Thanks!

Cambro also has a "Where to Buy" section on their website here: https://apps.cambro.com/where-to-buy/

They may be available locally. It's also worth noting that Cambro recently recessed an improved form factor (Freshpro) compared to their Classic line - the new line is slightly more compact, and the lids are not interchangeable between the two. If you do find them locally, decide on one line and stick with it.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Hi baking newb here: is there a noticeable difference for cake pans between amazon basics and nordicware for example? the latter is three times the cost and I'm wondering if it's worth it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

themongol posted:

Hi baking newb here: is there a noticeable difference for cake pans between amazon basics and nordicware for example? the latter is three times the cost and I'm wondering if it's worth it?

It's mostly the sam vimes boot problem: the amazon basics ones will probably lose their coating, rust, and wear out much faster. The higher quality pans can be a buy for life thing - easily lasting 3 or more times as long as the cheapo garbo ones.

When I'm a newb at anything though I buy a basic thing to start and if I wear it out I buy the good one the second time around.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Aluminum pans warp with heating/cooling cycles. This is a fact of life.

Nicer pans hide steel bar stock in the rolled edges to help keep them straight and flat.

poo poo, I missed that these were cake pans

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

:same: I have greyed quarter and half sheet pans for greasy or oily jobs, and shiny new aluminum for everything else.
For baking, I belong to the One True Church of USA Pans. Slicker'n a smelt.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We have USA pans for all things baking.

It took like 2 stints in the oven to turn the sheet tray from looking like an eager teenager at their first job to the jaded waitress who smoked a pack a day for 30 years.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.

CommonShore posted:

It's mostly the sam vimes boot problem: the amazon basics ones will probably lose their coating, rust, and wear out much faster. The higher quality pans can be a buy for life thing - easily lasting 3 or more times as long as the cheapo garbo ones.

When I'm a newb at anything though I buy a basic thing to start and if I wear it out I buy the good one the second time around.

Thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aluminum pans warp with heating/cooling cycles. This is a fact of life.

Nicer pans hide steel bar stock in the rolled edges to help keep them straight and flat.

poo poo, I missed that these were cake pans

Huh I didn't know that. My nordicware aluminum pan is still very nice after probably a decade of use, that must be part of it. It's also a bit thicker I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

effika posted:

It's so much nicer to just toss it in than try to wash it off in a kitchen sink.

why is it legal to sell kitchen sinks that won’t fit a half pan? how do you soak them? it’s unacceptable

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

why is it legal to sell kitchen sinks that won’t fit a half pan? how do you soak them? it’s unacceptable

:emptyquote:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

CommonShore posted:

I buy the cheap ones every time and that's why I have a mountain of cake pans with thrashed coatings piling up in my pantry.

Because I can just line them with aluminum foil and use them with nachos

When I make individual nacho plates for a dozen people

(ugh i'm terrible about throwing poo poo away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HolHorsejob posted:

I buy the cheap ones every time and that's why I have a mountain of cake pans with thrashed coatings piling up in my pantry.

Because I can just line them with aluminum foil and use them with nachos

When I make individual nacho plates for a dozen people

(ugh i'm terrible about throwing poo poo away)

.....do you often make individual nacho plates for a dozen people? And are they getting a whole half-sheet pan? And can I visit sometime?