Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Terabytes of cache to make up for everything being programmed as a lovely web app.

x86 needs to add javascript instructions like ARM did, it's falling behind the webshit curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Terabytes of cache to make up for everything being programmed as a lovely web app.
Modern mainframes have over a GB of distributed L3 cache.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Modern mainframes have over a GB of distributed L3 cache.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17323/amd-releases-milan-x-cpus-with-3d-vcache-epyc-7003

You can get 1.5GB of L3 cache in a 2 socket commodity server as of last year.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
AMD Socket SP9 announced:
- 65" diagonal
- 2ch DDR3
- supports up to 8TB L3 cache
- up to 20k cores
- 3072 PCIe7 lanes

repiv posted:

x86 needs to add javascript instructions like ARM did, it's falling behind the webshit curve

I've patented a CPU that runs webassembly opcodes directly. So many nodejses.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17323/amd-releases-milan-x-cpus-with-3d-vcache-epyc-7003

You can get 1.5GB of L3 cache in a 2 socket commodity server as of last year.
That's not distributed, though.

L3 cache on POWER8+(?) is shared across all CPUs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

repiv posted:

The Arm "javascript instruction" (there's only one) is way less specific to Javascript than people tend to think - it's just a variant of the floating point to integer conversion instruction. Because JS has this idiotic thing where integers are represented as floating point doubles, it leans FP-to-int a lot, and building a variant of FP-to-int with the exact rounding mode and other behaviors needed by JS is a very low implementation complexity thing with enough reward to be worth it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

so what you're saying is that ARM didn't go far enough and x86 needs to invest more heavily in baking javascript specific logic into the ISA :hmmyes:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

at one point ARM had a whole instruction subset for running Java, I believe. it’s a sickness

otoh something like 5% of my (large, public) company’s total fleet CPU is consumed deserializing JSON, so some acceleration for that would be welcome

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

at one point ARM had a whole instruction subset for running Java, I believe. it’s a sickness

otoh something like 5% of my (large, public) company’s total fleet CPU is consumed deserializing JSON, so some acceleration for that would be welcome

Use a better format

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sweeper posted:

Use a better format

ah, but public APIs roughly demand JSON

could be worse, could be better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I just tried to imagine what I’d do if I came across something labeled a “JSON SerDes” on an SoC and it’s completely breaking my brain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

I just tried to imagine what I’d do if I came across something labeled a “JSON SerDes” on an SoC and it’s completely breaking my brain.

we have put dumber things into computers, like PhysX hardware or segmented memory access

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yes that’s fine but SerDes means something different in hardware and the collision of terms would be upsetting

Also memory segmentation as a general concept is an absolutely critical foundation of modern software security and Physx acceleration was just generic VLIW SIMD that became the normal way GPUs worked.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 1, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes that’s fine but SerDes means something slightly different in hardware and the collision of terms would be upsetting

oh, indeed!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

hobbesmaster posted:

Also memory segmentation as a general concept is an absolutely critical foundation of modern software security

It really isn't though? Only x86 uses segments anymore, and even it doesn't use them for much in long (64-bit) mode. Most RISCs (including Arm and RISC-V) don't support segments at all. POWER/PowerPC do, because IBM had to be weird, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah I mixed up the name with executable space protection in general.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BobHoward posted:

The Arm "javascript instruction" (there's only one) is way less specific to Javascript than people tend to think - it's just a variant of the floating point to integer conversion instruction. Because JS has this idiotic thing where integers are represented as floating point doubles, it leans FP-to-int a lot, and building a variant of FP-to-int with the exact rounding mode and other behaviors needed by JS is a very low implementation complexity thing with enough reward to be worth it.
Considering how pervasive Javascript is nowadays, both by the web and Electron apps, why neither AMD nor Intel did it yet is baffling.

Subjunctive posted:

I loving hate JSON for data exchange.

Over here, they want me to create REST endpoints on their i Series for all SQL queries I perform instead of just polling the DB2/z directly with ODBC. Of course I keep telling them to gently caress off. Because two thirds or more of the JSON is in field names and not values.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm putting together a cheap PC for my daughter and bought a X370 mobo (ROG Crosshair 6 Hero), Ryzen 1700, and stick of DDR4 3600MHz CL18.
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB (1x16GB) 3600MHz PC4-25600 Single Module - PVS416G360C8
Capacity: 16GB(1x16GB) Voltage: 1.35V; tested frequency: PC4-25600 (3600MHz), tested timings: 18-20-20-40

I am used to Intel platforms where you enable XMP and don't even think about it.
For the life of me I cannot get this thing to run stably.

I have tried
1) just selecting 3600 RAM speed in the BIOS
2) loading "Extreme Tweaker" profiles e.g. "3600 MHz 1.4v Samsung B-Die profile"
3) turning on "DOCP Standard" for the "AI Overclock Tuner"

I know it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things but I supposedly bought a 3600 speed RAM so I'd like to get it running if I can.
What's the idiots guide to XMP on AMD?

edit: I don't know if this means anything, but it's also running at CAS 20, even at 2666MHz.
In its JEDEC timings it has CAS 18 for 1333 and 1.2V, so I don't get why it's choosing so high?

VVV huh, that makes a lot of sense then. wups

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 1, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I'm putting together a cheap PC for my daughter and bought a X370 mobo (ROG Crosshair 6 Hero), Ryzen 1700, and stick of DDR4 3600MHz CL18.
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB (1x16GB) 3600MHz PC4-25600 Single Module - PVS416G360C8
Capacity: 16GB(1x16GB) Voltage: 1.35V; tested frequency: PC4-25600 (3600MHz), tested timings: 18-20-20-40

I am used to Intel platforms where you enable XMP and don't even think about it.
For the life of me I cannot get this thing to run stably.

I have tried
1) just selecting 3600 RAM speed in the BIOS
2) loading "Extreme Tweaker" profiles e.g. "3600 MHz 1.4v Samsung B-Die profile"
3) turning on "DOCP Standard" for the "AI Overclock Tuner"

I know it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things but I supposedly bought a 3600 speed RAM so I'd like to get it running if I can.
What's the idiots guide to XMP on AMD?

edit: I don't know if this means anything, but it's also running at CAS 20, even at 2666MHz.
In its JEDEC timings it has CAS 18 for 1333 and 1.2V, so I don't get why it's choosing so high?

Zen 1 had a pretty bad memory controller and I doubt it can do 3600 in any capacity. 3200 may be a stretch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
3200 was the number you were aiming for, and the memory controller on my 1000-series degraded over time. Only ever used the XMP profile.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

intel did find some pretty significant wins by throwing AVX512 at JSON parsing

https://lemire.me/blog/2022/05/25/parsing-json-faster-with-intel-avx-512/

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

repiv posted:

x86 literally already has the exact same "javascript instruction" that ARM added. In fact, they have had it since the 80's!

BobHoward posted:

The instruction can be described as: convert FP64 into a 32-bit integer in the same way that x86 does it. The reason this is important for javascript is that when Eich implemented integer ops for js, he just converted the float into an int, then did the op, and converted it back. This is a problem for ARM, because he did that on x86, what happens when a float is too big to fit into a 32-bit int is undefined in the standard, and x86 and ARM did different things. (x86 gives a result mod register size, ARM clamps to highest representable int.)

Calling it a javascript instruction was just less embarrassing for ARM than calling it an x86 emulation instruction.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

karoshi posted:

AMD Socket SP9 announced:
- 65" diagonal
- 2ch DDR3
- supports up to 8TB L3 cache
- up to 20k cores
- 3072 PCIe7 lanes
we all know it will have no more than 20 pcie7 lanes

:(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuna-Fish posted:

The reason this is important for javascript is that when Eich implemented integer ops for js, he just converted the float into an int, then did the op, and converted it back.

No, I worked on the internals of that engine with Brendan in the 90s and 2000s, and it had tagged ints for everything that fit in 31 bits. For integer ops that could over/underflow that range we did the math in double space and then converted back to integer if it fit, otherwise the result was a tagged pointer to a double. Integer ops that couldn’t overflow, like right shift, stayed in int space the whole time.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

No, I worked on the internals of that engine with Brendan in the 90s and 2000s, and it had tagged ints for everything that fit in 31 bits. For integer ops that could over/underflow that range we did the math in double space and then converted back to integer if it fit, otherwise the result was a tagged pointer to a double. Integer ops that couldn’t overflow, like right shift, stayed in int space the whole time.

That's the later spidermonkey, which had fancy things like optimizations.

In the original mocha codebase, when an integer op is executed, it unconditionally pops floats, converts them into integers, does something with them, converts the result back into a float, and pushes it.

(MochaInt and MochaFloat are not some fancy types with logic in the casts, but just i32 and f64.)

It did not stay that way for very long, but the original prototype written in 10 days in 1995 was successful enough that the later versions wanted to maintain backwards compatibility. Some people in a JS conference estimated that those 20k SLOC contain thousands of decisions made that need to be thought of for backwards compatibility, nearly each and every one made with the heuristic of doing whatever was the most straightforward thing so that the prototype could be shipped in 10 days.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 1, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ah quite, I forgot about mocha; apologies

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is $350 USD a good price for a 7800X3D?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I paid $450 back in April so I'm gonna say yes.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I think that's the lowest price it's hit outside of maybe some Microcenter deal or similar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AMD is rolling out a new AGESA version with support for Phoenix APUs: https://wccftech.com/asus-amd-agesa-1-0-8-0-bios-am5-motherboards-supports-ryzen-7000-phoenix-apus/

Phoenix is the codename for their Zen 4 + RDNA 3 APUs (e.g. 7840U). It has been a long time since AMD has released a desktop APU that is competitive with their mobile offerings, so this would be a big change. The most powerful desktop APU on the market still only has Vega graphics in it.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

i got it (and a copy of starfield) for 380 a couple months back and liked it. it’s probably gonna keep declining in price over time so it’s a personal call but if you want one, that’s a lower price than it was earlier. not sure what other ways there are to approach the question

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'd been running 1.0.0.7c for a while, and while it did increase stability it's still not perfectly stable with 4x32GB at 4800mhz. It's been about three weeks since I bothered to upgrade and clocked the memory at 4800mhz (was running 4000 before) but I got a corrected error today. This is close to how it behaved at 4200 before the update - going multiple weeks without any errors - so I'm assuming it'll be stable at 4600 or 4400, so there is an improvement but I can't help being a little disappointed. On the other hand I did leave everything else, including voltages, on Auto and I don't think I got the "right" memory chips that keep zen 4 happiest, so maybe tuning or buying the right chips would have helped.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has anyone been able to disable various amounts of 3D vcache to see how performance scales as cache increases for various workloads?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't think you can just arbitrarily disable chunks of cache.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's good news for people who like ECC.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
You just need to have a very steady soldering hand

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Falcorum posted:

You just need to have a very steady soldering hand
No, it's just a matter of updating to AGESA1.0.0.5 on any AsRock Zen5 board - which you should already be a version above, for reasons discussed earlier in the thread.

Soldering is only if you want to test it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doesn’t DDR5 have ECC-lite or something?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn’t DDR5 have ECC-lite or something?

It has on-die but doesn’t report back to the cpu so no errors are logged and there is also no verification of the correct data actually getting back to the cpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah it’s like it has intra-DIMM ECC but not ECC from the CPU’s perspective