Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s almost uncanny how wrong you can be about someone. Maybe it’s our own internal optimism that makes us think “well yeah they’re doing great they’re smiling, they’ve got X and Y going for them!”

Her family is another thing. The brothers dealing with it in a really angry way - she left behind a 2 year old son, so i get his anger. But he’s *mad* and openly expressing it. Like man, relax, she clearly was hurting. I just don’t know how you talk to someone who is so wildly in the other form of grief compared to your own. Thanks everyone, truly. Been a weird day.

All you can do is be there. I'm sorry for what you're going through. That's a rough one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s almost uncanny how wrong you can be about someone. Maybe it’s our own internal optimism that makes us think “well yeah they’re doing great they’re smiling, they’ve got X and Y going for them!”

Her family is another thing. The brothers dealing with it in a really angry way - she left behind a 2 year old son, so i get his anger. But he’s *mad* and openly expressing it. Like man, relax, she clearly was hurting. I just don’t know how you talk to someone who is so wildly in the other form of grief compared to your own. Thanks everyone, truly. Been a weird day.

Sounds like he doesn't know how to deal with his grief and is losing himself in other emotions to escape it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I kind of had the same thought. When my brother attempted suicide I was initially extremely angry but I realised fairly soon that I was holding onto it because I didn't want to feel just how sad I was at how much he must have been hurting and I wasn't able to help.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I really wanted Wayne to win Master Chef. Top 5 was too soon

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Would not recommend The Creator.
Visually it's gorgeous. But the second act is so bad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How was the camera work/audio and all?

Kinda curious because they went minimum crewing and are crowing about it being a NEW PARADIGM IN FILMMAKING

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Would not recommend The Creator.
Visually it's gorgeous. But the second act is so bad.

I saw it in one of those D-Box movie theaters where the seat rumbles/moves in sync with the movie. It wasn't my first choice but it was the only theater that was showing it at the time that worked for me.

Yeah, it's visually great but the story is kinda… basic? The movie wears its influences on its sleeve: the chapter cards are very Asian-inspired & I swear I've seen illustrations of robot Buddhists before.

Hopefully Gareth Edwards doesn't go down the path of Neil Blomkamp.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
On anger as a form of grief - it is my belief that anger and sadness come from the same place, and that anger is an externalized manifestation. Because of that, it lets you do something, like break things, or yell, and sometimes people do that as a way of coping. It keeps the sadness away if you can be angry about it.

I did this for many years. I was also outwardly happy, but had a definite anger problem. In fact I was hiding my own hurt at not living the life I wanted to, and my bitterness at the situation would boil over sometimes. It's hard to help someone coping that way because all they want to do is lash out, but I bet that brother is grateful for your presence even if he won't say it right now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What is this game now?

https://twitter.com/luke_winkie/status/1708501092391072051?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

We have a whole thread about Immaculate Grid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037907&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

I’m terrible at it though because I absolutely suck at remembering random dudes. gently caress I barely remember the dudes on teams I like. Also none of my friends do this either.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It's really funny when you try and go for obscure guys and a low score, or run into a grid where a guy could fit in several spots. There was a football one last month where like 4 of the spots could have all been Steve Bono.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I think some men aren't equipped to deal with big emotions so the default is anger. Society tells men that sadness is weakness and anger is strength. The patriarchy is hard on women, but it doesn't do men any favors either.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Nothing like viewing the google street view in your neighborhood and realizing that the street view car recently followed you home from work one day.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

Wasnt there some early 90s van where you had to remove the tire to change the battery
The "cloud cars" from Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. The Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze. I had a Breeze and yes the battery was in front of the driver's side front tire and to change it required removing the front driver's side tire.

There's also the Toyota Previa van which was mid-engine, which was weird for a minivan and not something US mechanics were used to. The battery may have been in a weird place as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Edit: wrong thread

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 1, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Woke up at 5:45 this morning to get my wife to the 10 mile of the Twin Cities Marathon for her to check her email and find out it was cancelled due to weather. No, not storms, too hot and humid in Minnesota on October 1.

I was out around noon replacing our bird feeder rope and putting a cover on a vent hole mice have been getting into (I hope) on the front of the house, and it seems like a good call based on how sweaty I was after doing basically nothing out there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bird in a Blender posted:

We have a whole thread about Immaculate Grid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037907&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

I’m terrible at it though because I absolutely suck at remembering random dudes. gently caress I barely remember the dudes on teams I like. Also none of my friends do this either.
If it's not a Panther or someone featured on a SB Nation / Secret Base / really Jon Bois video, I have no idea

Did I know about Bud Grant two months ago? No. Now I do.

fartknocker posted:

It's really funny when you try and go for obscure guys and a low score, or run into a grid where a guy could fit in several spots. There was a football one last month where like 4 of the spots could have all been Steve Bono.
Another name I only know because of Dorktown.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Nothing like viewing the google street view in your neighborhood and realizing that the street view car recently followed you home from work one day.
I can actually check when the pictures were taken by the cars in the driveway. Including the one time it captured a Freightliner Columbia when I was driving for Werner.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 1, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I remember Latavius Murray largely for the Saints' failed attempt to replace Mark Ingram's production at a lower price.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I always remebered King of the Hill as being fairly sedate but my rewatch definitely disproves that. I think I mostly forgot about most of the Cotton Hill focused episodes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Made pizza last night and a batch of hot honey and it was so loving good.

My team lost in the grand final and it stings this morning.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
drat that pizza looks amazing. Like something out of a ninja turtles cartoon, I mean this as a compliment

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crossposting but I cannot put into words how huge these doses are. This combo should be handled like nuclear waste.

Be sure to read the embedded case study slide.

https://twitter.com/nickmmark/status/1708548368241484251?s=20

For context, morphine doses in emergent settings are usually <10-20mg and diazepam is giving in like 10mg doses, give or take.

Amitriptyline is given in very small doses these days for migraines but has an insane narrow therapeutic range and even minor overdoses result in irreversible arrhythmia—>death.

Just cartoonish doses.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 2, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah but maybe it was a really tiny sip, who knows

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Knives Out rear end cocktail of drugs

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So did people have a pool on which drug was supposed to do the deed, or why

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I realize he's probably dead but I like to think he woke up two weeks later surrounded by old mcdonalds wrappers and a brand new grand piano

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1708648135965172125?t=BSIz7QQ1Js9JEV9KHetx4A&s=19

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My god that really is a top tier pizza BS

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
"weaned from the ventilator" good lord

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Yep it's the alcohol that's the problem.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GD_American posted:

So did people have a pool on which drug was supposed to do the deed, or why

My very rough understanding is that the digoxin at that dose is there to turn your heart from on to off and the rest of that stuff is there to make sure you are very calm, then asleep and very numb as that happens and not capable of things like throwing up.

If I'm reading this right, that much Diazepam is about 10x the dosage you'd use to sedate a very large horse

Kalli fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 2, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Those numbers are all eye popping and the man surviving is a testament to how little he must have actually ingested.

TCA overdoses are hammered hard in paramedic school disproportionate to their actual occurrence because their therapeutic window is extremely narrow at psych doses and can put your heart in an intractable sine wave if you aren’t on a bicarb infusion with the loving quickness. And that dose is like several times an expected lethal dose. Quick scan puts life threatening range at >10mg/kg, lethal over 30mg/kg.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

Made pizza last night and a batch of hot honey and it was so loving good.

My team lost in the grand final and it stings this morning.

Great looking pie. Would eat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

There's also the Toyota Previa van which was mid-engine, which was weird for a minivan and not something US mechanics were used to. The battery may have been in a weird place as well.

Mid-engined, with AWD and supercharging as options. This was definitely from the team at Toyota who were experimenting a good bit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Basically, the digoxin and amitryptyline are tjere to stop your heart. The other three are to render you unconscious and, in combination, stop your breathing. There are like 6 mechanisms of death up there.

Edit: and yeah, that must have been a small sip, but I wonder what the inital volume ofnthe cocktail was. A 2L soda bottle of that you could manage a swig, but if it was like a pint or smaller, hooo boy...

swickles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 2, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo that medical tweet.

And for other reasons, holy poo poo that pizza.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Aside from that I am a little afraid of your avatar right now.

Good lord the episode of King of the Hill where Cotton steals Santa Ana's leg.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thank you for the kind words about my pizza. It was a hit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I love my dogs but I don't love that they sneak onto my bed and spend however long licking my pillows, then when I lay down I get a fun surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jimmy Butler might be my favorite athlete now.