Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

What's crazy is I almost spelled it that way on a complete whim and I said to myself:

"No, VSM. No one would appreciate it."

I need to learn to be my true self more frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Probably a lukewarm take but the hookshot in Nayuta is kinda jank. Still cool otherwise though, it’d be pretty cool if Falcom made more isekai games that are Old(ish) Ys but with a talking protagonist.

…Probably a not so lukewarm take, but Adol seems pretty outdated for the kinda way Falcom wants to write these days. At least “pure strain silent protagonist” Adol Cristin, if they wanna make him actually talk instead of just having a narrator tell you how he feels so much the better.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GateOfD posted:

sometimes wonder when the ultimate craft move is a metaphor or actual superpowers.

some of the police/inspector ones where they just shoot their guns a bunch of times sure. the magic limit break type ones.
but is Lloyd really going dragon fist on his target, I think its just a metaphor for him. I like to think of it that way, cause compared to the other characters, isn't he just kind of the most normal guy ever with no hidden bloodline ability or lineage, and just hangs on with his heart of justice

it's mostly actual superpowers unless space is involved, canonically nobody in zemuria knows poo poo about what space even is

with Lloyd the tiger in Tiger Charge is definitely metaphorical BUT the dragon in Rising Sun is an actual fire dragon he made out of his BURNING SPIRIT, his movements don't really make sense otherwise. generally once you get strong enough you can just do that kind of wacky poo poo, you don't need some kind of bloodline or lineage to do it

e: also the spooky Eight Leaves S-Craft Woods are probably not literal, same with Sara's cliff and whatever other background effects

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 1, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Agate absolutely jumps more than two stories into the air and comes crashing down, very neatly not harming any of his allies.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

seems like the Finale of Azure is Dont Bother With Physical Attacks so far, and Tio feels mandatory with her Zero Field...

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wasnt even close gently caress you Arianhod, Ourobouros should recruit Evade Lloyd and Tio instead

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
dodgetank Lloyd is extremely powerful. After he gets his yell buff back he can even do damage!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

…Probably a not so lukewarm take, but Adol seems pretty outdated for the kinda way Falcom wants to write these days. At least “pure strain silent protagonist” Adol Cristin, if they wanna make him actually talk instead of just having a narrator tell you how he feels so much the better.

Yeah..... I love Ys, my favorite ARPGs by far. But there are series inspired by Ys that have gone so much further by 10, so seeing Ys just go, Adol's a kid again! In comparison feels sad.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 1, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

...How hard are the bosses of the Final Dungeon of Azure on Hard? Do they justify going farming the cash/materials for Ultimate Armor and such? I have all the Recipes unlocked so I'm feeling I should just cook the OP stuff and bank on it (plus didnt need to use the high tier consumables much until now so I have a fair amount of them)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you have the Moebius MQ upgraded that works pretty great since it increases the effect of healing items and gives them a small AOE effect. But yeah, I didn’t really bother with cooking much so it’s not needed, but it would have made my life significantly easier to have a stockpile of ATS+50% food on hand since I ended the game with 5000~ sepith and 900,000+ mira since you find one copy of the hugely expensive high end accessories in the final dungeon.

Dodgetank Lloyd actually becomes viably offensive since you can crack 90%+ with just quartz/a single accessory slot and his ultimate weapon also boosting evasion. Someone told me that the damage formula is mostly just attack - defense, so I don’t think there’s much of a difference between decent store bought armor and the ultimate stuff that costs like 90 U-Material for each one besides the stat boosts, at least since most of them don’t boost evade. Having mute immunity is super important for the final boss, it loving hates magic and will waste its turns casting a mute/cancel no damage attack if someone is queuing up a spell when it’s turn comes up which makes things infinitely easier if you bait it out.

But yeah, the endgame stretch gets kinda wild and I am legitimately not sure how you’re intended to handle like anything except Shirley without degenerate strats, at least on Hard, so you’re good since you’ve already been using those.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Probably a lukewarm take but the hookshot in Nayuta is kinda jank. Still cool otherwise though, it’d be pretty cool if Falcom made more isekai games that are Old(ish) Ys but with a talking protagonist.

making silent protagonists talk is very rarely a good idea, the narration is a good compromise imo

talking directly has never really added much to him

frajaq posted:

...How hard are the bosses of the Final Dungeon of Azure on Hard? Do they justify going farming the cash/materials for Ultimate Armor and such? I have all the Recipes unlocked so I'm feeling I should just cook the OP stuff and bank on it (plus didnt need to use the high tier consumables much until now so I have a fair amount of them)

the ultimate armor doesn't take TOO much to make so it's worth going for if you got the patience(at least for your most-used party members), but you can definitely go without if you can't be assed

I did them on Nightmare but it's p. much the same strat of Ultra Instinct Bannings either way, just with less room for error. The armor's bonus stats are nice but you don't NEED need them.

e: if you've been arts-focused make sure you have a 2nd melee character geared up though trust me on this

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 2, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

making silent protagonists talk is very rarely a good idea, the narration is a good compromise imo

talking directly has never really added much to him

the ultimate armor doesn't take TOO much to make so it's worth going for if you got the patience(at least for your most-used party members), but you can definitely go without if you can't be assed

I did them on Nightmare but it's p. much the same strat of Ultra Instinct Bannings either way, just with less room for error. The armor's bonus stats are nice but you don't NEED need them.

I can't disagree more, at least when you make the silent protagonist a character instead of Literal Blank Slate. It just leads to annoying conversations where characters talk at the person and they can't hold anything resembling a natural conversation. I'm hard pressed to think of a game where the silent protagonist wouldn't be better as an actual character outside of like Etrian Odyssey.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I can't disagree more, at least when you make the silent protagonist a character instead of Literal Blank Slate. It just leads to annoying conversations where characters talk at the person and they can't hold anything resembling a natural conversation. I'm hard pressed to think of a game where the silent protagonist wouldn't be better as an actual character outside of like Etrian Odyssey.

I can't disagree more because most the time when games try to move away from the previous silence it always kinda sucks. Adol has also expressed more of a personality in recent games e: and that's good, but he can express that just fine without being talky so breaking the silence wouldn't really add anything. He's lovable enough as just the cheerful Adventure Man who regularly beats up the fabric of the universe.

basically, silent is fine and talky is fine, but going silent-to-talky rarely goes well

e2: this is all imo ofc

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 2, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yinlock posted:

e: if you've been arts-focused make sure you have a 2nd melee character geared up though trust me on this

Oh yeah definitely this too, like most of the endgame is entirely doable with with an Ultra Instinct setup and three casters whittling the boss down, but the final boss has four adds that exist to punish you for that in the first phase so something like the standard Zero party works a lot better than Lloyd/Wazy/Elie/Tio.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just pick two of Lloyd's girlfriends along with Tio.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Oh yeah definitely this too, like most of the endgame is entirely doable with with an Ultra Instinct setup and three casters whittling the boss down, but the final boss has four adds that exist to punish you for that in the first phase so something like the standard Zero party works a lot better than Lloyd/Wazy/Elie/Tio.

Yeah I used the original 4 most of the time in Azure and things worked out fine, once again sentimentality is the meta strat. Randy was mostly on buff/s-craft duty but come endgame Chevalier + screaming is as busted as always and between some evasion and shields he can generally last long enough to pull it off.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Trails of Nayuta Chapter 5: does this still count as an isekai if I can see the other world now, which as it turns out was just a satellite hidden in the moon? Also slightly disappointed that this entire game didn’t just happen with the villagers none the wiser and Nayuta spending his summer vacation getting super tough and going back to school with no explanation.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

Trails of Nayuta Chapter 5: does this still count as an isekai if I can see the other world now, which as it turns out was just a satellite hidden in the moon? Also slightly disappointed that this entire game didn’t just happen with the villagers none the wiser and Nayuta spending his summer vacation getting super tough and going back to school with no explanation.

This is actually basically the plot of most old school Isekais, usually told to the viewer in episode 1 or 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is Reverie worth $48

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's...fine? It's more CS3/4 and your enjoyment of it will depend almost entirely on how you feel about that. Localization never got patched up though, as far as I know.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I spent several hundred dollars and have more than earned that price in enjoyment.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's also a lot more Crossbell, with special appearances from Estelle and Joshua.

Also fully playable and cutomizable Towa.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

You may love to hate the persona3 style tower climbing but I’m accepting it seeing it as a single game concept. So far a good huge epilogue and still continuing the story

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just finished the last bits of Daybreak. Great ending. Congratulations to Alvis for making it into one of the ending CGs.

The final battle was actually kind of tough (the first tough fight in a really long time). Near the end they were hitting my party for like 8000-9000 (at a time when my characters are 10000-11000) and actually wiped out my 4 on-field characters near the end (and I finished the fight with the remaining 4). I think they may have had some sort of stacking buffs thing going on, since the damage near the end was way higher than early on.

Part of the difficulty comes from the confusing turn-order, which I hear the next game fixes, so that's nice. Honestly not sure what they were thinking with the turn order UI; it's really bizarre.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Just finished the last bits of Daybreak. Great ending. Congratulations to Alvis for making it into one of the ending CGs.

The final battle was actually kind of tough (the first tough fight in a really long time). Near the end they were hitting my party for like 8000-9000 (at a time when my characters are 10000-11000) and actually wiped out my 4 on-field characters near the end (and I finished the fight with the remaining 4). I think they may have had some sort of stacking buffs thing going on, since the damage near the end was way higher than early on.

Part of the difficulty comes from the confusing turn-order, which I hear the next game fixes, so that's nice. Honestly not sure what they were thinking with the turn order UI; it's really bizarre.

Haven't seen Daybreaks, but I played the new Utawarerumono game a bit and it might just be a trend making the most obtuse looking Time Card Battle UI now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What, it's just three rings and the smaller rings are faster and sometimes you move between rings and there's no marker for when you can do stuff, yes I know exactly when my turn is coming, shut up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MythosDragon posted:

Haven't seen Daybreaks, but I played the new Utawarerumono game a bit and it might just be a trend making the most obtuse looking Time Card Battle UI now.

In Daybreak there's basically two turn-order bars, one on the left (for party members) and one on the right (for enemies).

As far as I can tell, you just sort of have to eyeball it to figure out when an enemy's turn will be. It'll tell you who the next turn is, but beyond that it's hard to tell.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh right
Time Card Battle is just what I call Turn Based RPG systems that put a focus on turn order manipulation, and back when this kind of system was being pioneered/finalized/coolest the main visual used were cards and whatnot. It's not the exact term used, but I mostly took the name from Atelier Iris 2 and 3. For the most part it's my favorite battle system, especially when you add things like delay and atacks with their own turn into the mix.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nayuta Endgame: im guessing the postgame is gonna involve the other seasonal variants of the levels that are missing (as opposed as to them not existing at all) since my sword bingo card is missing like three pages and there’s recipes I can make that heal like 700 HP, and that’s with like 40% of the recipe slots still missing.

Also kinda genuinely blindsided by the endgame twist, this game hasn’t been like super deep narratively (by design I’m guessing) but learning the earth is actually not round because a third of it was just blown the gently caress did catch me off guard, just kinda assumed it was uncharted, dangerous territory when the NPCs alluded to it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

Nayuta Endgame: im guessing the postgame is gonna involve the other seasonal variants of the levels that are missing (as opposed as to them not existing at all) since my sword bingo card is missing like three pages and there’s recipes I can make that heal like 700 HP, and that’s with like 40% of the recipe slots still missing.

Also kinda genuinely blindsided by the endgame twist, this game hasn’t been like super deep narratively (by design I’m guessing) but learning the earth is actually not round because a third of it was just blown the gently caress did catch me off guard, just kinda assumed it was uncharted, dangerous territory when the NPCs alluded to it.

There's one seasonal variety that's unlocked in the post-game and another variety that's unlocked in NG+. (by spending achievement points) You won't be filling up your bingo card completely on your first playthrough.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

In Daybreak there's basically two turn-order bars, one on the left (for party members) and one on the right (for enemies).

As far as I can tell, you just sort of have to eyeball it to figure out when an enemy's turn will be. It'll tell you who the next turn is, but beyond that it's hard to tell.

The L2 button shows you the order by numbering everyone, but it's not really useful.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

is Reverie worth $48

imo yes

Artix posted:

It's...fine? It's more CS3/4 and your enjoyment of it will depend almost entirely on how you feel about that. Localization never got patched up though, as far as I know.

writing wise it's a huge step up from 4 and seems to have been made specifically to address that game's issues on that front

gameplay wise yeah it's more cs3/4. the numbers have never been bigger or stupider

e: also yes you can customize everyone now no more terrible guest quartz setups.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 3, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

What, it's just three rings and the smaller rings are faster and sometimes you move between rings and there's no marker for when you can do stuff, yes I know exactly when my turn is coming, shut up

calculate your Turn Axis

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

The L2 button shows you the order by numbering everyone, but it's not really useful.

Huh, well now I feel dumb. Might have been useful when I was trying to figure out whether my cast of a heal would go off before the boss's next attack.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lloyd said "hurdle" instead of "barrier"

absolute garbage

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought “barrier” was specifically a Zero thing because the barriers of political/societal corruption enabled by Erebonia/Calvard all but openly supporting the mafias and their pissing match between each other.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"barrier" is literally Lloyd's favorite word

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

finished Azure, very very good game

I have to say some moments and Lloyd himself can be way too cheesy but this sequence almost got me to tears :yaycloud:

gently caress that gimmicky boss tho

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nayuta, Finale: (and also After Story) drat and here I thought I’d be done since I even filled all my endgame equipment slots. Someone mentioned there was a postgame but I just figured it was just a “okay you beat the game, here’s a free roam mode with extra levels” deal and not a Cold Steel II thing.

Neat that they deliberately lied about the equipment tiers to make the postgame a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's also a bunch of stuff that doesn't unlock until actual NG+ too