Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

You all won't be laughing when the Thwaites does collapse this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
are you kidding? we'll be laughing harder than ever

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
the only thing you get to control is whether you die laughing or crying c:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Absolutely appreciative of modern medicine allowing me to be here today, with all you goons, witnessing what we wrought on the biosphere in the name of progress. Take a bow, guys. We deserve this.

side note, word! i would not have survived infancy without modern medicine. now i get to see it blow up! yay!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

the only thing you get to control is whether you die laughing or crying c:

Gonna get this as a tattoo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just a Moron posted:

Show me a study about the excavated bodies of pre agricultural peoples, and the relative proportion of those with physical disabilities that made it to adulthood. I would find that genuinely interesting and convincing.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...sabled-children

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Modern medicine is awesome and all but I am begging some goons here to please read a book before making dogshit posts about how maternal bonding was invented during the industrial revolution

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

As a side note it's morbidly fascinating how effectively we have erased pre-European history in the Americas from existence, cutting down truly enormous swathes of people, cultures, and histories. To the point where even the descendants of the few survivors by and large do not remember them. Vast chunks of human history, not that distant relatively speaking, all but wiped from this Earth. It is quite possibly the most ruthless and total genocide mankind has ever achieved were it not for the Great Project we are all here to participate in

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Like they say, history is passed down orally by the winners

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Dokapon Findom posted:

Fellatio of the victors on the right side of history FTW.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

quote:

Think about everything we have discussed in this article:

Massive heat waves across the planet
Rising fossil fuel emissions
Heating of 1.5 degrees C in 2023
Failure of the 2016 Paris agreements
Huge wildfires in Canada
Wildfires burning in the Amazon rainforest
Arctic Tundra thawing out and tripping a climate feedback loop
Other climate tipping points getting ready to trigger
The acceleration of Arctic warming
The coming Blue Ocean Event in the Arctic to make Arctic heating even worse
All the mountain glaciers are melting
Rivers are drying up
Aquifers are drying up
Reservoir lakes are drying up
Aquifers and farmland are becoming contaminated with salt water
Massive droughts across the planet
Massive floods in other parts of the planet
Crop failures
Heating and melting in Antarctica
Threats from the Thwaites glacier
Sea level rise around the world
Mass extinction events in every area

All these phenomena are happening simultaneously, and they will all be accelerating. If you can wrap your head around the convergence of these 22 problems, you can begin to understand how bad things are getting.

Think about it this way: If we get together again next year in October, after humanity has released another 37 gigatons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, are any of these 22 things going to get better? What about in three years, after humanity has released another 100 gigatons of carbon dioxide? What about in 10 years, after humanity has released another 300 gigatons of carbon dioxide? And then add in the unknowns:Think about everything we have discussed in this article:

Massive heat waves across the planet
Rising fossil fuel emissions
Heating of 1.5 degrees C in 2023
Failure of the 2016 Paris agreements
Huge wildfires in Canada
Wildfires burning in the Amazon rainforest
Arctic Tundra thawing out and tripping a climate feedback loop
Other climate tipping points getting ready to trigger
The acceleration of Arctic warming
The coming Blue Ocean Event in the Arctic to make Arctic heating even worse
All the mountain glaciers are melting
Rivers are drying up
Aquifers are drying up
Reservoir lakes are drying up
Aquifers and farmland are becoming contaminated with salt water
Massive droughts across the planet
Massive floods in other parts of the planet
Crop failures
Heating and melting in Antarctica
Threats from the Thwaites glacier
Sea level rise around the world
Mass extinction events in every area

All these phenomena are happening simultaneously, and they will all be accelerating. If you can wrap your head around the convergence of these 22 problems, you can begin to understand how bad things are getting.

Think about it this way: If we get together again next year in October, after humanity has released another 37 gigatons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, are any of these 22 things going to get better? What about in three years, after humanity has released another 100 gigatons of carbon dioxide? What about in 10 years, after humanity has released another 300 gigatons of carbon dioxide? And then add in the unknowns:

:regd08:

i love that his solution is a super AI implementing global communism. lmao

Mr SuperAwesome has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Oct 1, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

As a side note it's morbidly fascinating how effectively we have erased pre-European history in the Americas from existence, cutting down truly enormous swathes of people, cultures, and histories. To the point where even the descendants of the few survivors by and large do not remember them. Vast chunks of human history, not that distant relatively speaking, all but wiped from this Earth. It is quite possibly the most ruthless and total genocide mankind has ever achieved were it not for the Great Project we are all here to participate in

if these people wanted to write history books they should have invented better guns

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

quote:

More than a hundred dolphins have been found dead in the Brazilian Amazon amid an historic drought and record-high water temperatures that in places have exceeded 102 degrees Fahrenheit.

The dead dolphins were all found in Lake Tefé over the past seven days, according to the Mamirauá Institute, a research facility funded by the Brazilian Ministry of Science.

The institute said such a high number of deaths was unusual and suggested record-high lake temperatures and an historic drought in the Amazon may have been the cause.

The Amazon River, the world’s largest waterway, is currently in the dry season, and several specimens of river fauna are also suffering from record-high temperatures.

Researchers and activists are trying to rescue surviving dolphins by transferring them from lagoons and ponds in the outskirts to the main body of the river where the water is cooler, reported CNN Brasil, but the operation is not easy due to the remoteness of the area.

“Transferring river dolphins to other rivers is not that safe because it’s important to verify if toxins or viruses are present [before releasing the animals into the wild],” André Coelho, a researcher at the Mamiraua Institute, told CNN Brasil.

The drought in the Amazon is impacting the economy as well.

Below average levels of water have been reported in 59 municipalities in Amazonas State, impeding both transport and fishing activities on the river.

Authorities expect even more acute droughts over the next couple of weeks, which could result in further deaths of dolphins, CNN Brasil reported.

oh no, that poor economy! Anyways these dolphins? maybe we can put'em in a cool pond or something, I dunno.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

:regd08:

i love that his solution is a super AI implementing global communism. lmao

best solution I've heard so far tbh

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like most solutions to the climate apocalypse, it relies on something that doesn't actually exist. my equally plausible solution is to use time travel to kill all the white people before the industrial revolution begins, and then if i still exist i'll make any further corrections as needed.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Here's a fun video about the largest pre-columbian city east of the Mississippi and how St Louis basically paved it over.

https://youtu.be/iciOvaIm51M?si=ZlDoZO941cZzFXgE

I feel like a lot of posters itt are sort of projecting their own angst onto a made up amalgamation of culture and people they know nothing about. There are a ton of interesting cultures that developed outside of European influence and they are all different and if you really care that their story has disappeared then take the time to learn a little of what we do know.

E: not directed at you specifically, but y'know in general.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Dokapon Findom posted:

the corvids will remember us, but not in the way we'd like to be remembered

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

glad to be here at the beginning of the end of the Epoch of Big Dumbass Fleshy Blobs

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Look buddy, history goes:

Garden of Eden -> savage and vicious nature -> Egypt Times -> Roman Times -> Medieval Times -> industrial Times -> Modern end of history

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

the fleshy metalworking blobs died out because they decided to stop flying and start walking on the ground. let that be a lesson to all of us

the people who gorged on their flesh during the Epoch of Feasting absorbed their dumbassery and they too died out after only one generation

Tungsten has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Oct 1, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
"Super intelligent AI" is just code for what the author would do if they were secretly given eco-dictator powers.

It's kind of funny that we can totally imagine a world where we solve our problems but it's only okay if an "AI" does it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

KVS is a total dumbass who posts utter nonsense constantly

turn on your monitor

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

like most solutions to the climate apocalypse, it relies on something that doesn't actually exist. my equally plausible solution is to use time travel to kill all the white people before the industrial revolution begins, and then if i still exist i'll make any further corrections as needed.

Why don’t we just combine the ideas and have a super AI go back in time?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Paradoxish posted:

"Super intelligent AI" is just code for what the author would do if they were secretly given eco-dictator powers.

It's kind of funny that we can totally imagine a world where we solve our problems but it's only okay if an "AI" does it.

i think the idea is that people will go along with it cause its 'objective' but im not super sure that americans are going to decide to wildly uproot their lives and give up on cars and living where they want because a robot said to do it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Paradoxish posted:

The machine = god.

A big part of society is trying to mess with the dials and set up the eternal governance machine to just feedback loop itself into running a perfect society based on economic incentives and poo poo.

A stronger, smaller part is using that myth to harvest value or has gotten high on their own supply and also believes it.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

HermitSupplier posted:

Why don’t we just combine the ideas and have a super AI go back in time?

Travelers was a pretty good show

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

organizational systems are a form of AI anyway

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

As I keep saying, I know that early humans cared for disabled members of their group. My point is that modern medicine makes us better able to do so. My question was the proportion of disabled early humans that actually made it to adulthood.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Modern medicine is awesome and all but I am begging some goons here to please read a book before making dogshit posts about how maternal bonding was invented during the industrial revolution

I am begging goons to learn some basic reading comprehension before sanctimoniously telling others to "read a book"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

My plan is to create Samaritan and hope that Team Machine realise that humans are too dumb to not do an omnicide omnishambles of the planet without a machine god directing what we do, and not murder me.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my equally plausible solution is to use time travel to kill all the white people before the industrial revolution begins, and then if i still exist i'll make any further corrections as needed.

This results in an infinite recursion loop when another slightly different group of settler colonialists arise and genocide their slightly less colonialist neighbours, you go back in time to kill them too, then it happens again with a slightly different group, on and on ad infinitum.

If our recent evolutionary history is at all deterministic then it implies that Darwinism and universal physical laws are fundamentally broken; the bad guys keep winning precisely *because* they're the bad guys.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

My plan is to create Samaritan and hope that Team Machine realise that humans are too dumb to not do an omnicide omnishambles of the planet without a machine god directing what we do, and not murder me.

This requires that god-machines are smart enough to see how dumb we are, are smart enough to stop us, but are still dumb enough to want to keep us around as pets. That's scarier than a god-machine that only wants to murder me.

Corsec has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Oct 1, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How do the libs deal with the fact we are dumping a gigaton of CO2 into the air every 1.5 weeks? Are we doomers for acknowledging this fact?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

How do the libs deal with the fact we are dumping a gigaton of CO2 into the air every 1.5 weeks? Are we doomers for acknowledging this fact?

Yes, its the best of all possible worlds. Why do you love Putin so much?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

we passed the biggest climate change legislation ever!! climate is saved!!

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Just a Moron posted:

As I keep saying, I know that early humans cared for disabled members of their group. My point is that modern medicine makes us better able to do so. My question was the proportion of disabled early humans that actually made it to adulthood.
As long as we're asking questions, I'm curious about the rate of (developmental) disability prior to adulthood, and whether it differs drastically, eg. between 'early humans' and today. My naive assumption is that increased pollution (i.e., heavy metals, EDCs, microplastics, air pollutants (although that could go both ways, with changes in cooking/ heating fuels)) would lead to increased rates of developmental disabilities today.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Here's a fun video about the largest pre-columbian city east of the Mississippi and how St Louis basically paved it over.

https://youtu.be/iciOvaIm51M?si=ZlDoZO941cZzFXgE

I feel like a lot of posters itt are sort of projecting their own angst onto a made up amalgamation of culture and people they know nothing about. There are a ton of interesting cultures that developed outside of European influence and they are all different and if you really care that their story has disappeared then take the time to learn a little of what we do know.

E: not directed at you specifically, but y'know in general.

by the space center in florida there is a burial site that's like 7000 years old

https://www.thehistorycenter.org/windover/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windover_Archeological_Site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQr3n5m0VA

a hundred years ago the medical complex i was born at used to be called mound park hospital. they got rid of the mound and changed the name in the sixties so nobody has to think about how there used to be people right here who built cities safe from flooding with trashpiles of beautiful seashells they had eaten. anyways time to drive past a bunch of houses cleaning up flood damage to spend forty dollars at mcdonalds

kater
Nov 16, 2010

man plastics in the clouds is a lot. I’m having significantly less fun than before I knew about the plastics in the clouds.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

think if it as sky tinsel

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Just a Moron posted:

I gotta admit it was far lower than now.

1: life expectancy was far lower due to babies dying in general
2: there is just some things you absolutely cannot fix or treat without modern med, even if your society were more geared towards making sure everyone got the best most fair shot possible (which it surely is not now)
but
3: some things are actually caused by current conditions that were not there in the olden times

e: beat by this p much

OIL PANIC posted:

As long as we're asking questions, I'm curious about the rate of (developmental) disability prior to adulthood, and whether it differs drastically, eg. between 'early humans' and today. My naive assumption is that increased pollution (i.e., heavy metals, EDCs, microplastics, air pollutants (although that could go both ways, with changes in cooking/ heating fuels)) would lead to increased rates of developmental disabilities today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think about this a lot. There's a lot of very basic information I simply don't know about indigenous people of America, that is also murky and kind of hard to find. In contrast, I can find the equivalents in completely different parts of the world really easily. It's extremely disturbing.