Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Sirotan posted:

That certainly is Art though because it is making me feel things (mostly hate and anger).

And I'm certainly stealing this line one day 😄.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Update: our partner company gave me a 3M quick latch respirator that fits much better, and extra small goggles that don't leave gaps around my eyes.
I also bought a little wearable mic and speaker like tour guides use, and I will try using it with a full face respirator tomorrow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Stunt Rock posted:

We continue to be cool and funny and hot and talented, and we have a good floor that's way better than what he would've given us. Eat poo poo Joe.

I kind of want to hire you for my next home repair.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

VelociBacon posted:

Man that's a feel good story. I just recently won a very protracted PayPal dispute for way less money but the vibes are similar. Glad to see goons getting theirs.

I got banned for life from aliexpress for a paypal dispute. It's saved me a fortune.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i recently spent two hours in a walmart annoying the service desk people until a manager came and fully refunded me on a window AC that stopped working after 100 days (10 more than store warranty). i bought the two year extended warranty, but lost the receipt. Walmart says they can provide printouts of receipts for this, but their website to do so was broken so i wasn't taking no for an answer. Even got the money i spent on the original warranty back.

anyways, just saw this on fb

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

VelociBacon posted:

Man that's a feel good story. I just recently won a very protracted PayPal dispute for way less money but the vibes are similar. Glad to see goons getting theirs.

I fought with PayPal for 6 weeks and ~10 hours on the phone over a $500 sewing machine that was broken in shipment. The idiot seller packed the 60lb machine in a box that was way too big cushioned by fabric scraps.

The difficulty was that I sent it back to the seller using their original UPS tracking number because it was insured. The PayPal people kept seeing the tracking number showing "return to sender" and thought it meant returned to me, the buyer, in a completely different state. When I finally got through on the phone to a support person, they'd always understand what was actually happening and reopen the dispute with a note, which was then denied hours later at 2 AM by someone in their overseas support team who didn't read the note. This happened three times and I would have given up much earlier if it wasn't so much money.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

`Nemesis posted:

i recently spent two hours in a walmart annoying the service desk people until a manager came and fully refunded me on a window AC that stopped working after 100 days (10 more than store warranty). i bought the two year extended warranty, but lost the receipt. Walmart says they can provide printouts of receipts for this, but their website to do so was broken so i wasn't taking no for an answer. Even got the money i spent on the original warranty back.

anyways, just saw this on fb

Holy gently caress

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought that was a picture of the NYC floods at first.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Stunt Rock posted:

We found that he secured the gas line to the joist using a camping fork we had thrown in the garbage after doing smores and hot dogs the week before.

My God.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

the fart question posted:

Holy gently caress

Yeah I was like wow, flood....oh poo poo. A flood would have been better.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

I want to see the other side of that fence so bad.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

What exactly am I looking at, here?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Concrete that looks like it fell as rain.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Imagining a hard-boiled private detective saying this in voiceover.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Danhenge posted:

Last year I spent between 5 and 10 hours of my time getting Williams Sonoma to send me 8 oz duralex glasses when they sent us 6 oz glasses by mistake. This was further complicated by the fact that it was a wedding registry gift. I explained to them a couple of times that it wasn't my responsibility to send something back they sent me by mistake, but they weren't interested. I was about to capitulate and send the glasses back when somebody sent me the laziest possible fake invoice for the glasses to "prove" our friend had ordered the wrong size. They had taken the invoice for the correct size, changed the listed size of the glasses to the incorrect smaller size, but left the images and upc code of the 8 oz glasses intact. After some angry emails to like a CEO and a VP I ended up getting the correct glasses and a gift card, but I felt like an rear end in a top hat.

Hell yes consumer action. I sent my watch to the manufacture's approved service department who did such a bad job I sent the manufacturer an angry mail saying "this is bullshit, you charged me 150 to basically have my watch damaged" (you could literally see glue on the face where they'd repaired a missing hour marker) and after sending it to them they looked at it for a bit and said "yeah ok we'll send you a brand new one" which would be 650 new. The old one was a gift from my wife and the new one is slightly different but I'm super happy with that.

More on topic: the "looks great but is actually fundamentally flawed" bathroom we have is getting ripped out in about 3 weeks and I will *definitely* be looking for some greatest hits there. Can we beat "filled the shower drain with tile adhesive", "relaid tiles lower than the old ones" and "broke the wet room tanking" with non-visible fuckups? Let's find out

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

null_pointer posted:

What exactly am I looking at, here?

some idiot just filled the back yard with cement, and did nothing except that.

let's ignore that the surface wasn't finished to just look at the fact that they used a fence and any other thing as a form.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I dunno that looks alot like how my floor turned out that I did myself with a friend v:v:v

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

raggedphoto posted:

My house here in the PNW was built in 1947 and all the cast looks fine apart from build up on the inside of the pipes, I am guessing that I won't have to replace any of it in the near future unless I am re-plumbing something.

Here we have to deal with an insane amount of expansion and contraction of the ground from the high concentration of clay close to the surface, and a huge variation in moisture content over the year. You know, Texas: super dry, super hot summers, drat near monsoons in the spring... Basically, those poor pipes get moved around a *lot* under the house, and finally gave up. Cracked along the top first, then finally I got a 6" gap break in the middle of a long run under the middle of the house.

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe it's just a shaft and the real shower enclosure is a floor or two down.

I like this idea. It's terrible, but I like it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/LZbcZZw.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Legend has it that there are more rolls behind the skeleton poster.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I'm sorry, this is crappy construction, not crapper construction

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jows posted:

I'm sorry, this is crappy construction, not crapper construction

Speak for yourself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just in the news here: a stair handrail in a school in Espoo* went live during a power outage. Three people got shocked (all fine).

*) Made out of ES and poo :finland:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Some nice comedic timing/storytelling in that short video.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/bUVVZQ1.mp4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A bit more rigid insulation would have given it the sheer strength to prevent that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I know why; they haven't installed the drywall yet.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I know why; they haven't installed the drywall yet.

I think you're joking, but at the same time ... that really would have helped, wouldn't it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Houses have plywood sheathing on the outside to in part help prevent that. Until it's sheathed they have temporary diagonal support members, but obviously theirs were insufficient.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Can you even fix that, or is it total tear down

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I assume tear down, all the places those verticals tie into the sills are hosed now right?

How’s that even happen, high wind?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Computer viking posted:

I think you're joking, but at the same time ... that really would have helped, wouldn't it?

There are places that use drywall as a kind of sheathing for sheer force, similar to plywood in NA. I recall it in a Scott Brown video (New Zealander). The type of drywall and screw pattern are part of the inspection process.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A bunch of mcmansions have gone up behind my parent's house and it's been the worst construction gong show I've ever seen. They've had to scrap and redo almost every single element of the houses as they've built them. materials come too early and get water damaged, materials come too late and the previous step has to be re-done by the time they're ready for them. All for the cheapest low-quality looking tacky mcmansions you've ever seen. All selling for 5-6 million.

Oh man the developer took such a bath on these too. They did NOT sell for 5-6 million lol
https://www.theagencyre.com/listing/2645966-1721-Oak-Shade-Lane-Victoria-BC-V8S-5L9-CA

Also the houses have been done for a while now and all the listings still only use the renders, no actual photos. wonder why. The crumbling uneven stucco? The crooked flashing?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 6, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Will my fingernails ever be clean again?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

brugroffil posted:

Can you even fix that, or is it total tear down

In this case, they put a lean on the house

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Wasabi the J posted:

In this case, they put a lean on the house

i saw this and thought "hmm they misspelled lien haha idiot" and then swapped threads.

Then i got it. good job.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

the yeti posted:

I assume tear down, all the places those verticals tie into the sills are hosed now right?

How’s that even happen, high wind?

I'm pretty sure this is old enough that you can look up an article, I believe it was hit by a crane or some other piece of heavy equipment. Was posted on social media about a year ago.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your mom is so fat when she sits around the house she sits around the house

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

peanut posted:

Will my fingernails ever be clean again?

They should grow out in about half a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Mn5BQoQaU&t=579s

Give it a few.