Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.cbc.ca/news/multi-lineup-listing/ravi-kahlon-fall-housing-legislation-1.6982618

quote:

Three key pieces of legislation set to become law sometime this fall included additional tools for municipalities to enforce compliance with short-term rental rules, financial support for property owners who want to build secondary suites and new laws that will allow secondary suites on properties across the province currently zoned for only single-family homes.

Wow. How effective.

Considering the provincial NDP has the most number of landlords in the legislature, it is no surprise that this is feckless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Double posting because I found this pre-COVID 2020 Change.org petition featuring comments from landlords:

quote:

I am signing this petition because I am a landlord and so are my parents. My parents had the most horrible tenant a few months ago. It took so much work to get him out. He got away with not paying rent, utilities, and breaking every rule on the lease. My dad ended up in the hospital twice due to the stress caused by this individual. This individual sat back laughing. The RTB and our current laws allow loosest to take advantage of people.

quote:

I was a landlord for 10 years. It was brutal then and that was before legislation went waay too far in support of renters. In 10 years we had 2 good tenants between them, they didn't last more than a year. Landlords need to be able to maintain overall control of their property. Renters should indeed have rights but those rights should not exceed those ultimately responsible, the property owners!! It is their investment!

quote:

Tenants have ALL the rights and landlords ALL the regulations. Bad tenants make it really difficult for the good tenants that are looking for a home. At some time previously, landlords must have been taking advantage of tenants or the RTB rules wouldn't be so unfair to landlords now. Tenants need repercussions for not following rules, like landlords do. Maybe you don't get free rent when you don't vacate the property when you have been properly served an eviction.

quote:

It's ridiculous that we can only raise the rent by 2% when interest rates are going up by 100%, and strata fees, property taxes and insurance are not standing still, either. Also we need better protection than to have to wait months if we have a tenant who doesn't pay rent or damages. We need to be able to evict immediately. Fair is fair. This is a highly stressful occupation because of the way the BC government is screwing down on landlords. I have considered selling out and I'm sure some are doing so because the system is not set up fairly to both sides.

quote:

Problem tenants must be dealt with swiftly or more small landlords will refuse to rent out their suites because of liability insurance issues and it’s just not worth it. landlords are disgusted with the government”s intervention into our houses by charging us with the empty home tax. We bought and paid for our homes over 25 years and now the government is holding us ransom for their inept handling of the housing crisis, TOO LITTLE TOO LATE

quote:

Tennents have to many rights now

quote:

I don't think a landlord should go bankrupt because the system doesn't protect or prevent tenants from gaming the system with no repercussions. Bad behavior by tenants is being rewarded by free rent. Good behavior by landlords is rewarded with financial constraints and ruin. It's asymmetrical and unfair and needs to change

quote:

I am a small landlord and have been thinking about stopping

quote:

Landlords are rental housing provider in Canada. If landlord’s legal rights can’t be protected by law just as much as the tenant gets, there will be more conflict between the two parties. Landlords need justice. Interest rate increase doesn’t have a limit, why the BC government limited rental rate increase? We need change!

quote:

We follow the Residential Tenancy Act, lawfully award possession of our property and the Supreme Court of BC without any consideration of the law, the landlord or the "Act" gives the tenant 60 more days. We are fed up with corruption and one sided rights for tenants only. We are definitely getting out of the rental property. Thanks to the Supreme Court overwriting the law.

quote:

We are in the process of selling our rental as there's not enough protection for landlords

What I love is that I looked up a few of the names and one of them ended up being followed by the former Premier and a few NDP MLAs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you want to enrage these people, simply suggest that they sell, like you would with any other unprofitable investment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

qhat posted:

If you want to enrage these people, simply suggest that they sell, like you would with any other unprofitable investment.

It's like wiping your rear end with silk, I love it.

But, yeah, that's what I don't get. Investments were never meant to be mints; there's always risk, and in the case of property, carrying costs and work involved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had this “sounds like you want to sell” conversation with the owner of a rental unit lately and they reacted like I had proposed imprisoning her. “But I shouldn’t have to!”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subjunctive posted:

I had this “sounds like you want to sell” conversation with the owner of a rental unit lately and they reacted like I had proposed imprisoning her. “But I shouldn’t have to!”

"So you want a solution that makes you money with no effort or risk, and everyone else is just supposed to arrange their lives to make that happen, drat the consequences?"

I'm so sick of dealing with people that pathologically self-centered.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

"So you want a solution that makes you money with no effort or risk, and everyone else is just supposed to arrange their lives to make that happen, drat the consequences?"

“I paid the down payment! I’m an investor! I am doing the hard part!”

Mantle
May 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

"I paid my fair share"

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Same person who will hang on too long and sell at the worst time.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Don’t forget the classic belief that the home will
wink out of existence the moment they sell it. “I provide desperately needed housing! My tenants would be homeless!”

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I think a lot of it is because 1. Average people don’t understand risk vs reward, 2. There truly is no other investment available to the average person that you can lever up 10x on, 3. Lack of any financial education. It’s just another example of people mistakenly thinking they’ve figured out how to make a lot more money for free, the idea of risk is completely alien to them and only people who invest in the stock market or whatever should be the ones who go bankrupt. Just last week I was having a conversation with my sister who went on a long winded rant about how house prices weren’t going up and everyone’s losing money, and I mentioned briefly that stocks were up over the past year you could diversify into that, and the response was dismissive like I’ve just suggested they join an MLM or Bitcoin ponzi or something. Ultimately you can’t help people, just make the best decisions you can for you and laugh at the naked people when the tide goes out.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

qhat posted:

Ultimately you can’t help people, just make the best decisions you can for you and laugh at the naked people when the tide goes out.

That's fine as long as the naked people aren't able to convince the government to give them your money.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tagesschau posted:

That's fine as long as the naked people aren't able to convince the government to give them your money.

I’ve given up trying to convince people otherwise. Even if someone were to give me the key to their finances and let me manage it for them, I’m not a financial professional, I’d only be risking my friendships to even try. People in general, even usually smart people, are too stupid when it comes to money, all you can do is look out for yourself and maybe your very close family (spouse, dependents), there’s always ways to protect yourself from losing your shirt when everyone else is.

qhat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 1, 2023

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

qhat posted:

I’ve given up trying to convince people otherwise. Even if someone were to give me the key to their finances and let me manage it for them, I’m not a financial professional, I’d only be risking my friendships to even try. People in general, even usually smart people, are too stupid when it comes to money, all you can do is look out for yourself and maybe your very close family (spouse, dependents), there’s always ways to protect yourself from losing your shirt when everyone else is.

That's been a tough row to hoe the last decade. People with marginal intelligence standing on their high horse levereged to the tits looking like geniuses. For the good of society we need to see these folks learn the stove can get hot. It's not even just housing, proper market cycles are healthy. A certain percentage of people should be losing their jobs and business should fail occasionally too.

Purgatory Glory fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 1, 2023

Lunitica
Jan 1, 2007
Landlords have tax deductions for mortgage interest as well as depreciation.

The risk of interest rates is unusual in Canada, as mortgages are typically on a 5 year cycle compared to the US where you can get a fixed rate for 30 years.

Any landlord complaining about mortgage interest deserves what they get for not recognizing the exposure to upward interest rate changes.

Some tenants are bad, it still comes back to laziness of the landlord in choosing tenants, or not setting the rent to a market clearing price that gives you a choice of good tenants.

I would like to see a federal registry of rental properties to catch tax cheats.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah there’s nothing you can really have sympathy with landlords about. The entire systems seems setup for them to succeed and yet they still somehow manage to gently caress it up.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/multi-lineup-listing/ravi-kahlon-fall-housing-legislation-1.6982618

Wow. How effective.

Considering the provincial NDP has the most number of landlords in the legislature, it is no surprise that this is feckless.

Between this, CoV's fiddling at the edges attitude toward zoning liberalization, and the timid targets that the Province has imposed on the Naughty List cities, I think it's getting pretty safe to say that given that we're seeing no real urgency for remarkable change, that nothing will improve for the immediate future at all and things will only continue to get worse in British Columbia.

This Fall session was supposed to be the Big Announcement of housing policy action under Eby and there really hasn't been much here. They had that big report of recommendations from housing experts and we're still not seeing policy come out of that.

When you consider that new governments generally front load their big change, political capital spending policies, then this is pretty depressing because this seems like some nothingburger weak stuff.

The best thing I can say about the housing targets is that they will meaningfully shake some of the absolute most nimbyist small towns on that list (ie. Oak Bay), and should spur them toward change, but the targets seem overly status quo for the larger cities such as Vancouver.

The one bit of good news we've got recently is that Victoria got a big fat zero applications and zero interest in their ~missing middle~ multiplex policy, and instead of shrugging their shoulders, they actually went back and revised it to make it more liberal so that someone might actually build something.

Was camping this weekend with someone who manages housing projects on the construction side. They basically threw up their hands at the notion of anything improving and noted that for them all they do is build ultra premium single family homes because it's literally the only thing that it's possible to make money on, and the margins have only shrunk narrower as the years have gone on. Bottom line is that there's barely money to be made building apartments, let alone ~affordable~ apartments, so no one does it. They didn't seem terribly excited by the new multiplex stuff.

It seems like GST tax cut on apartments should help make marginal projects flip to becoming profitable as it's basically just cutting the costs on builders, but seems like there's gonna need to be more here for anyone to have a look.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

More on the Metro Vancouver fee drama. This is hilarious.

Really shows how deeply unseriously the Mayors currently consider the issues. Top priority remains keeping taxes low at all costs.

quote:

Ottawa halts housing funding to Metro Vancouver over increased development fees

Metro Vancouver is scrambling to explain its plan for increased development fees, after Ottawa abruptly paused a plan to give millions of dollars to Vancouver-area cities for affordable housing because Housing Minister Sean Fraser said he was concerned about the fees’ impact.

The minister was due to announce $43-million for Burnaby and about $95-million for Surrey on Tuesday from the federal government’s Housing Accelerator Fund. But he temporarily cancelled the news conference, saying he wanted to get more information about the fees.

“The minister was concerned that the Housing Accelerator Fund was just going to go to Metro Vancouver’s [development-cost charge],” acknowledged Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke.

She is confident the money will come through when the minister fully understands that the fees won’t be charged at all for the affordable housing the government is trying to spur.

But this major bump is guaranteed to be a shock for many cities because, as the federal government makes strict demands on municipalities across the country to change their policies to qualify for the federal dollars in the accelerator fund, it’s been left up to them to figure out how to fund the infrastructure that will be needed to go along with it.

Metro Vancouver is considering fee increases for new developments that would triple current development-cost charges. They could add as much as $14,600 more in costs for every apartment and up to $24,000 at the end of the three-year phase-in for each house as a way of paying for a $35-billion upgrade to basic services over the next 30 years.

An e-mail sent to The Globe and Mail late Wednesday by Metro Vancouver spokesperson Don Bradley noted that its board had already decided in the spring to waive all development charges for non-profits, laneway houses and secondary suites and to re-examine its traditional approach that “growth pays for growth.”

That’s an approach that many cities have adopted in the past couple of decades, but it has meant that newcomers pay a disproportionate share of money needed for new infrastructure, through increased costs for buying or renting a home.

That approach is now being questioned, even though some politicians still firmly believe that the currently housed taxpayers are already stressed and can’t take on huge new tax increases to pay for growth.

“The question of who pays and what is fair is always a topic. But it’s unfair to go back to the same taxpayers who pay over and over again for infrastructure” said Burnaby Mayor Mike Hurley.

“Billions of dollars will need to be spent to keep up with growth and the immigration figures being proposed by the federal government,” the mayor wrote in an e-mail to The Globe.

Metro Vancouver planners had proposed the new fees as a way of avoiding big tax increases for existing homeowners across the region.

Burnaby and Surrey were expected to be the second and third cities to get money from the fund after $74-million was announced for London, Ont., on Sept. 12. The fund money goes directly to cities to help them do whatever it takes to speed up housing production and help create more affordability.

But Mr. Fraser tweeted out at 1:48 p.m. Tuesday, in advance of a scheduled 3:45 p.m. announcement that: “In light of a proposed development-cost-charge increase by Metro Van, I’ve postponed today’s announcement of Housing Accelerator Fund deals with 2 cities who are members of the Metro Van board. We’re studying the impacts of this proposal and I hope to have more to say soon.”

The federal housing department had okayed Victoria for accelerator money as well, and there has been no announcement of any change in that.

It has also sent letters to the cities of Halifax, Calgary, Charlottetown and Kitchener, Ont., saying they needed to improve their housing policies to allow for more density if they wanted to get accelerator money they had applied for.

Halifax council voted Tuesday to comply with three of the Mr. Fraser’s four conditions, but balked at increasing allowable heights for new buildings, saying it would try to find another way besides going higher to achieve the density he asked for.

The federal government’s efforts are part of what is becoming a massive national, provincial and municipal effort to increase housing construction, as Canadian home sale prices and rents soar to record-shattering levels. The Housing Accelerator Fund has a goal of creating 100,000 new “middle-class homes” by 2024-2025.

Mr. Fraser’s actions indicate that the federal government is not going to respond well if it feels like the money it is currently pouring into housing, which includes a recent major announcement that it will no longer charge the goods and services tax for new-built rental apartments, is simply going to be soaked up by cities charging new fees.

But the question of how to provide the services needed for all those new homes has started to emerge amid those efforts.

Surrey’s Ms. Locke said her city is ready and willing to build a lot, but that it is struggling, like many, to make sure all the infrastructure is there for new residents, including not just sewer and water service, but hospitals, schools and transit.

British Columbia, which is on its own mission to increase and speed up housing construction, set out its list of building targets for 10 cities on Monday, saying that will result in 60,000 additional homes.

While some critics have said that the targets are so modest that it will mean almost no improvement, at least one city is still concerned about how to meet them.

Oak Bay noted in a 10-page letter that it is already having trouble figuring out how to pay for $280-million of needed replacements for aging utilities, let alone how to expand those utilities for a lot of new residents.

However, one of B.C.’s most prominent housing analysts said the long-standing policy of requiring newcomers to pay the costs of growth, not existing taxpayers, should be re-examined.

“Until we resolve that issue, we’re going to be stuck,” said Jill Atkey, chief executive officer of the B.C. Non-Profit Housing Association. “It could be that we need to have a much broader conversation with the federal government about funding for infrastructure.”

As well, she said, cities may need to start asking themselves if it’s really fair, or likely to produce affordable housing, if they stick to their policy that a disproportionate share of costs for new services should be paid for by newcomers.

“I’m not sure why we have this expectation that new residents have to pay for the swimming pool or the community centre by themselves,” she said.

I remain baffled by Burnaby Mayor Hurley's assertion that the same taxpayers shouldn't have to pay over and over for infrastructure. The fact is that even if there was zero growth at all, all these amenities, billion dollar sewer plants and such, would still eventually wear out and need replacement. There will always need to be constant and increasing revenue raising to maintain the same level of service we have now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is this the city version of condo boards keeping fees low to appease everyone and then suddenly having to come up with millions to fix the roof they've been ignoring?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

odiv posted:

Is this the city version of condo boards keeping fees low to appease everyone and then suddenly having to come up with millions to fix the roof they've been ignoring?

pretty much except cities have tried to paper it over by raising money with new development so it would be like if your condo board kept building new units with higher fees than the existing units

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Really shows how deeply unseriously the Mayors currently consider the issues. Top priority remains keeping taxes low at all costs.

I remain baffled by Burnaby Mayor Hurley's assertion that the same taxpayers shouldn't have to pay over and over for infrastructure. The fact is that even if there was zero growth at all, all these amenities, billion dollar sewer plants and such, would still eventually wear out and need replacement. There will always need to be constant and increasing revenue raising to maintain the same level of service we have now.

Hey we were planning to use that money to subsidize existing homeowners!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cold on a Cob posted:

pretty much except cities have tried to paper it over by raising money with new development so it would be like if your condo board kept building new units with higher fees than the existing units

Yeah it's like your condo board saying we're going to keep strata fees unsustainably low by forcing any new resident to the building to have to pay 20k extra to move in. I mean it's only fair, they're new and powerless.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
it's almost as if this is the inevitable outcome of circumstances where local politicians don't get (re)elected on a platform of raising property taxes in order to properly finance infrastructure (new or replacement) or other services, especially after decades of deficient senior governmental funding

trust not the doctors, for the sweet shop owners will give us all we need

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 2, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

Seriously what is this garbage about "same taxpayers paying over and over again"? Yeah, that's called living in a place and paying your share of what's necessary to keep it from falling to pieces. Consider that HAF money is taxpayer money coming from the "same taxpayers over and over again" to pay for growth but I guess that's okay to take.

Why do Canada and Ontario keep coming to me for income taxes? Very unfair. New immigrants should have to pay the equivalent of what I've paid over the last 30 years to be let in the country.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Fidelitious posted:

Why do Canada and Ontario keep coming to me for income taxes? Very unfair. New immigrants should have to pay the equivalent of what I've paid over the last 30 years to be let in the country.

Keep that idea north of the border please. We'd probably adopt that down here. :negative:

I love that Hurley could literally be a quoted talking point out of a Strong Towns video or Not Just Bikes, for how badly growth-funded infrastructure planning works in the long run. Jesus Christ.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
More braindead ideas from ABC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-affordable-housing-raise-rents-1.6985794

quote:

Vancouver city staff are proposing an increase in the rates for moderate income rental housing as part of a strategy to build more affordable homes, but a former city councillor says the initiative is just a way for developers to make more money.

City councillors are scheduled to discuss the staff report at the Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities on Wednesday morning.

It recommends that council approve an amendment to the Moderate Income Rental Housing Pilot Program to increase the rent to 20 per cent below the Canada Mortgage Housing Corporation's average rent for Vancouver.

[...]

Under the new rates tied to current average rents, the rents would be:

Studio: $1,135 (currently $950);
One bedroom: $1,303 (currently $1,200);
Two bedroom: $1,818 (currently $1,600);
Three bedroom: $2,447 (currently $2,000).

The proposed amendments would also allow rents to increase between tenants. The report says the pilot program didn't include the ability to account for market conditions such as inflation or rising operating costs, making the projects unviable over time.

This is some galaxy brained poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

:taps forehead: If we set affordable rates to market rates, we have 100% affordable housing!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The worst part is that those are actually "cheap" for the current market.

Honestly I think so many people in Vancouver right now are one eviction away from an unrecoverable debt spiral and/or outright homelessness.

But conversely, it isn't possible to actually build new rental housing for lower rents than the current (utterly unaffordable) market, whether that's for-profit or not.

It just isn't a problem that has a market-based solution.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you don’t have to profit on the enterprise, why couldn’t you build rental housing to target those sub-market rates?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Subjunctive posted:

If you don’t have to profit on the enterprise, why couldn’t you build rental housing to target those sub-market rates?

Because the cost of land and construction mean it's literally impossible without subsidies. The non-profits who have built rental at the "moderate income" rates mentioned are creating buildings that are half that and half "low end of market", which means rents about 50% higher than the "moderate income" ones. Those are buildings with units that are very spare, with just about every corner being cut already. And those were built at the land and construction costs of four years ago.

The present is three working professionals sharing an 800sqft 3BR, or a family of five in a 700sqft 2BR.

The near future is bunkhouses and kids sleeping in bathtubs again like in the 50s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Because the cost of land and construction mean it's literally impossible without subsidies. The non-profits who have built rental at the "moderate income" rates mentioned are creating buildings that are half that and half "low end of market", which means rents about 50% higher than the "moderate income" ones. Those are buildings with units that are very spare, with just about every corner being cut already. And those were built at the land and construction costs of four years ago.

Right, but housing doesn’t have to make money if you aren’t trying to generate profits. It’s like saying that the fire department loses money—it doesn’t “lose money”, it uses money to provide a social good.

It is possible to have subsidies! We have had many kinds of them for developers and such in history!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The near future is bunkhouses and kids sleeping in bathtubs again like in the 50s.

One kid in a bathtub? Luxury. You can fit like 6 kids to a chest of drawers.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Don't worry, Canadians! We're not the worst place in the OECD to find housing.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/05/england-worst-place-in-developed-world-to-find-housing-says-report

At least according to this report:

https://www.hbf.co.uk/documents/12890/International_Audit_Digital_v1.pdf

I now live in Scotland, not England, but when I did live in a mid-sized English city up until 2020 this did not reflect the reality I experienced, with plenty of housing available at pretty reasonable rental rates (at least compared to living in a comparably-sized Canadian city) and all my middle class friends owning decently large houses. Way worse than the EU? yeah, for sure; worse than Canada, even including all of the small towns and rural communities? That I find hard to believe.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 5, 2023

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
A 47-year mortgage? They're out there — and even longer ones could be coming

whole article isn't really new to anyone keeping up with this topic but this part really stuck out:

quote:

About one out of every five home loans at three big Canadian banks are now negatively amortizing, which happens when years get added to the payment term of the original loan because the monthly payments are no longer enough to cover anything but the interest.

makes me wonder what would happen if we had jingle mail and more rental stock here

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Every time I read stuff like that I get a little confused because I was sure mortgage regulations didn't allow for things like 40+ year amortizations or mortgages that are negatively amortizing.

I get it of course, they will do as much as possible to not have people lose their homes because no one wants to deal with that, just seems a bit surprising.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Roughly put, you can't sign a new mortgage for over 30 years, but you can renew and extend your current one. So basically you're beholden to whatever rate/terms your bank wants to set if you don't qualify for a new mortgage (ie can't pass the stress test).

Problem for the bank is they still have to deal with the lovely extended mortgage on their books which imbalances their books.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Every time I read stuff like that I get a little confused because I was sure mortgage regulations didn't allow for things like 40+ year amortizations or mortgages that are negatively amortizing.

I get it of course, they will do as much as possible to not have people lose their homes because no one wants to deal with that, just seems a bit surprising.

IIRC it's like, you can't *sign* a mortgage that at the time of signing is negatively amortizing or longer than 30 years but if you sign a variable rate mortgage with a fixed payment and rates go up a ton then until you have to renew the choice for the bank is to either extend your amortization temporarily or have it go into the negative (because of the agreed upon fixed payment) but when you renew in 3-5 years if you can't qualify at 25 or 30 years again and can't make up the difference in a lump sum payment to get the principal down to where you can then lol goodbye house.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

MeinPanzer posted:

Don't worry, Canadians! We're not the worst place in the OECD to find housing.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/05/england-worst-place-in-developed-world-to-find-housing-says-report

At least according to this report:

https://www.hbf.co.uk/documents/12890/International_Audit_Digital_v1.pdf

I now live in Scotland, not England, but when I did live in a mid-sized English city up until 2020 this did not reflect the reality I experienced, with plenty of housing available at pretty reasonable rental rates (at least compared to living in a comparably-sized Canadian city) and all my middle class friends owning decently large houses. Way worse than the EU? yeah, for sure; worse than Canada, even including all of the small towns and rural communities? That I find hard to believe.

I was just in the UK for the past two weeks and I heard a lot from people getting worried that houses aren’t selling, or at the very least prices aren’t going up. On top of that, my sister is in an extremely precarious debt situation (two mortgages, credit card debt, etc) but still somehow afloat. All anecdotal etc and not representative sample by any means, but I did get the feeling there was real tension in the air, like things were a hair away from getting much worse very quickly. If that’s true for the UK then I’m sure it would be true for Canada too.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC it's like, you can't *sign* a mortgage that at the time of signing is negatively amortizing or longer than 30 years but if you sign a variable rate mortgage with a fixed payment and rates go up a ton then until you have to renew the choice for the bank is to either extend your amortization temporarily or have it go into the negative (because of the agreed upon fixed payment) but when you renew in 3-5 years if you can't qualify at 25 or 30 years again and can't make up the difference in a lump sum payment to get the principal down to where you can then lol goodbye house.

Not many mortgagors are going to be able to come up with the requisite balloon payment, which means they bought more house than they could afford. Looks like a lot of that frequently touted demand wasn't real to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Plus I'm told the average Canadian does not have a friendly Saudi princes that will buy them out at absurdly inflated valuations. Sad!