Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MH Knights posted:

If Valve ever releases a non-VR version of Alyx I would play it.

There's a mod that lets you play it with keyboard and mouse to completion but it's a bit janky.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-alyx-novr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

MH Knights posted:

If Valve ever releases a non-VR version of Alyx I would play it.

Lol

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gin posted:

It's pretty successful. Development staff has doubled in the last year, and they are a month or two away from their new delivery cadence (a new 'Set' every 4 months).

I wish Riot released metrics, they claim it's the largest strategy game in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. The competitive scene is thriving. There's a 500 person Invitational in Vegas in December that sold out real quick.

Crazy to me that Riot is once again one of the sole winners in a new genre gold rush, though I guess given their institutional knowledge it makes a sort of sense.

*MOBAs weren’t new when League came out but League was one of the first commercializations of them and is one of the only PC ones left.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

imagining the type of guy to play that mod and walk away thinking "huh dont see what the big deal was"

Orv
May 4, 2011

cumpantry posted:

imagining the type of guy to play that mod and walk away thinking "huh dont see what the big deal was"

I believe this has literally been an unironic post in the Steam thread.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Orv posted:

Crazy to me that Riot is once again one of the sole winners in a new genre gold rush, though I guess given their institutional knowledge it makes a sort of sense.

*MOBAs weren’t new when League came out but League was one of the first commercializations of them and is one of the only PC ones left.

likewise with valorant which is the only CS-alike that ever stuck the landing

it hasn't killed CS by any means but it's the first time CS has ever had a real competitor

Orv
May 4, 2011

repiv posted:

likewise with valorant which is the only CS-alike that ever stuck the landing

it hasn't killed CS by any means but it's the first time CS has ever had a real competitor

Yeah that’s also very true. It almost makes me curious to see how their MMO turns out but that’s a very dangerous path.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
crossfire (the blatant csgo clone) was pretty popular in asia, but valorant's probably gonna chip away at whatever marketshare it has left

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 30, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

makes me wonder if CS2 would have happened if not for valorant muscling in on their turf

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
possibly, yeah. the weird battle royale mode makes very little sense beyond as a reaction to the then popular genre

e: it was only five years ago they went f2p, too

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

now that we've moved from layoffs to console wars can we swap thread names between this and the steam thread

Orv
May 4, 2011

repiv posted:

makes me wonder if CS2 would have happened if not for valorant muscling in on their turf

I wouldn’t be surprised if not. I’m still kinda unclear to what degree Hidden Path is still a going concern after their failed survival game and the slowed updates to CSGO.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

possibly, yeah. the weird battle royale mode makes very little sense beyond as a reaction to the then popular genre

e: it was only five years ago they went f2p, too

the battle royale mode was unceremoniously killed off in the transition over to CS2 lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Orv posted:

How is the League autochess doing? I feel like that was one of the fastest new trends to flare up to massive popularity and then almost immediately die out that I've seen in gaming.

multiple regional riot run pro leagues + international events

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Orv posted:

They incurred some heavy tech debt in an effort to make it to market as fast as possible b/c they "knew" they had a fun game in a new-ish genre while it was in R&D. TFT was built using the league engine/architecture for that reason.

I was a dev at Riot for a long time and I'm still astonished that they got the league engine to run on freakin' mobile phones as fast as they did, dev-time wise.

(I don't think any of that is unknown knowledge plz don't sue me)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still find it funny that the first MOBA is possibly the PvP multiplayer mode of Future Cop: LAPD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5DMVWP0AM

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HopperUK posted:

Come on say what you mean. Steam doesn't give features?

Steam definitely has a lot of „features”, in fact it keeps on slapping more and more of them, but they’re all awful superfluous bullshit that I don’t ever want to see. EGS ftw in the matter of being a normal store

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So... don't interact with them? It's fine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh no...there are just too many options for other people to use! It's awful.
Why can't everyone else just be normal, like me, and not use any of those options?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I’d say it’s more like 50-50. Multiplayer is good - I still remember the dark ages of every game rolling its own netcode - and some level of social network is an important backstop for that for any game with non-random matchmaking. A unified mod interface via the workshop is good, the ability to back-patch games to old versions is good. Gifting games to be auto-sent at a particular time (e.g. birthdays and Christmas) is good. The Deck (and the accompanying massive incentive for Linux support) is good. Personally speaking achievements give my brain the happy chemicals, and they’re a nice form of stat tracking for devs. Steam guides aren’t great, but these days they’re one of the only sources of guides that aren’t in video form. Streaming a game from my decent desktop to my potato laptop can be nice sometimes. Unified forums are 90% cesspools and 10% bug reports, but that 10% is nice to have. Tags on games would be useful if people weren’t so dumb about what they mean most of the time. poo poo like trading cards and stickers and community screenshots and notifications about what my friends are playing I’ve never cared about and I never will, ditto VR until we reach full holodeck.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The guides are really nice to have because it's fully integrated into the steam overlay, so if I'm already in a game and I want a spreadsheet of some videogame bullshit, I can just open the overlay and surely one of the guides will have the information available. I use that a lot actually.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Orv posted:

Wasn't that done extremely early on in GOG's life before they really had much in the way of modern games at all? I imagine that's a fairly special case where you're not losing out much on the twenty people who bought the really bad, completely un-fixed-up Steam versions of early DOS games or whatever.

I'm still amazed, that the copy of Might and Magic 6 you get with MMX on Steam is literally the GOG version. They didn't even remove the GOG executable.

I guess that's why you can't buy MMVI without getting MMX, and they just assume no one ever looks in the folder.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steam forums are often the only place to find troubleshooting help for some smaller games in 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jack Trades posted:

Oh no...there are just too many options for other people to use! It's awful.
Why can't everyone else just be normal, like me, and not use any of those options?

I will always care about having to install lovely bloatware.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you have to install EGS also. im not sure how steam is bloatware but EGS isnt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Steam forums are often the only place to find troubleshooting help for some smaller games in 2023

Also the only place to find guides for smaller indie titles

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

I don't think you know what that word means.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Please stop responding to the really obvious troll.

Also, Steam is the best and EGS is poop.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still find it funny that the first MOBA is possibly the PvP multiplayer mode of Future Cop: LAPD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L5DMVWP0AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIGa_rUnGo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

goblin week posted:

egs is the only launcher sincne the bnet one got changed thaht just randomly sucks up resources and will freeze/crash doing basic tasks. its genuinely the worst launcher by a large margin lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

egs is the only launcher sincne the bnet one got changed thaht just randomly sucks up resources and will freeze/crash doing basic tasks. its genuinely the worst launcher by a large margin lol

Counterpoint: the xbox thing you use to launch game pass games

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Andrast posted:

Did they ever fix that thing where it would sometimes just refuse to uninstall a game and would gradually eat up space until you reformatted the drive?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nope, had the happen last time I used it (hopefully the actual last time, gently caress that malware of a "store")

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

And that's why you use LTSC branch of Windows.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just heard that a few speakers at unreal fest (starting tomorrow) were affected by the layoffs. Absolutely brutal to spend 2-3 months preparing a talk, practicing, getting all your slides ready and then being uninvited via a layoff.

They had to send out an email informing everyone some talks have been changed, but that didn't say how many. Bit of a scramble for the conference organizers.
I'm curious what the mood will be this week.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

skill issue

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

And that's why you use LTSC branch of Windows.
It really is so much better than normal Windows.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack Trades posted:

The guides are really nice to have because it's fully integrated into the steam overlay, so if I'm already in a game and I want a spreadsheet of some videogame bullshit, I can just open the overlay and surely one of the guides will have the information available. I use that a lot actually.
Holy cow, I close the Steam overlay so fast that I never saw that. Thank you!

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Personally since I use a Nintendo Pro Controller on PC, Steam Inputs is a godsend. The fact I can even add games to the client to make it work in non-steam games is even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Remote play together is another really useful steam no added value piece of bloatware feature

It's not perfect and takes a few tries to get working sometimes but playing local coop games across the internet is very cool