Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Epic High Five posted:

Having a very small but very deep and fleshed out game world is probably a lot harder to do than an open world that trends heavily toward the cut and paste. If it isn't any harder or easier then a studio still probably has to pick between the two. Like Disco only has maybe 15 discrete locations, half of which you visit once or twice, but it FEELS bigger than most open world games I play where I know that every landmark has about as much going on as the Fritte shop.

Honestly, I would settle for something like Evil Within 2. Parts of that game were kind of a pseudo-open world where the points of interest were all unique and there would be unmarked or secret stuff to find as well. You didn't have the density of gameplay options or approaches, but you didn't just feel like you were clearing a map of icons for the sake of clearing the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Does CA having to cancel their Gen Z looter shooter live service game mean future historical Total Wars are off the table?

the japanese will shutter CA and spend the money on more sonic garbage.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Buck Wildman posted:

it's spooptober gamerinos what horrors are you clearing from your backlog this year. I've got signalis next up on my list, RE7 time permitting

finished up Evil within 2 last week. it was extremely mid

fonv: dead money is up next

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

looking at the Assassin Creed Odyssey map about five hours into the opening made me literally quit the game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
AssCreed is just so much videogame. There's soooooo much videogame in them how anybody finishes this stuff is beyond me.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Jon Irenicus posted:

looking at the Assassin Creed Odyssey map about five hours into the opening made me literally quit the game

the best thing origins and odyssey did was the museum mode

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One of the many disparate well-done things in bad video game Chrono Cross was its towns. First rate towns imo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

Dark Forces 2 was really good

it did impressively large levels a year before Unreal and had extremely good lightsaber and force power mechanics. even the boss fights are good.

multi-player was an amazing cluster gently caress of mods and custom maps and skins and cheating too.

oh yeah I should have added "bad for getting lost." I loved both games.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

weird how my route through the world coincidentally leads me to slightly better weapons and armor.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

loquacius posted:

One of the many disparate well-done things in bad video game Chrono Cross was its towns. First rate towns imo

CC bad is a new hot take

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Red Baron posted:

CC bad is a new hot take

I actually really liked it, it's just kind of hard to defend on the merits sometimes (a zillion characters which is cool but they're mostly interchangeable which isn't, too much plot is delivered via exposition dump from ghosts, game takes place 20 years after original in a man-made archipelago with more than 20 years of history but which blatantly did not at all exist in the first game, etc)

I usually find myself on the side defending it though, it has a lot of online haters because it was not kind to the cast of Chrono Trigger and people are very protective of their babies

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Beautiful set pieces, awesome handpainted backgrounds, fun combat, fantastic music, cool act 1 premise and a lot of cool concepts later too, neat character designs with some exceptions, all important poo poo. Some infuriating parts (Korcha, dwarves) though. Game does not understand what a rock concert is

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

My only issue with the new Spider-man game character models is that all their faces feel vaguely "off", like an AI was reproducing their faces from the previous game.

Like the bottom MJ looks very similar to the top one, but with something vaguely different about her face. Same goes for Peter (though Peter after the change to make him look like not-Tom Holland has always looked hosed up), Harry, and Miles.

Of all things that could be said about the Cyberpunk open world, "cut and paste" isn't really one of them. It might be empty of stuff to do, but it's pretty amazing visually.

i think it's a difference of textures/shaders and them making a more accurate scan of the actress's face

Buck Wildman posted:

which of these is supposed to be the one ruining gaming

the bottom one

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

loquacius posted:

I actually really liked it, it's just kind of hard to defend on the merits sometimes (a zillion characters which is cool but they're mostly interchangeable which isn't, too much plot is delivered via exposition dump from ghosts, game takes place 20 years after original in a man-made archipelago with more than 20 years of history but which blatantly did not at all exist in the first game, etc)

I usually find myself on the side defending it though, it has a lot of online haters because it was not kind to the cast of Chrono Trigger and people are very protective of their babies

also, serge so far was the furthest the concept of a silent protag has been taken

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

My only issue with the new Spider-man game character models is that all their faces feel vaguely "off", like an AI was reproducing their faces from the previous game.

Like the bottom MJ looks very similar to the top one, but with something vaguely different about her face. Same goes for Peter (though Peter after the change to make him look like not-Tom Holland has always looked hosed up), Harry, and Miles.

Of all things that could be said about the Cyberpunk open world, "cut and paste" isn't really one of them. It might be empty of stuff to do, but it's pretty amazing visually.

I think that's just the face actors aging. MJ below looks like MJ above+6 or 8 years

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if you run around like an idiot the tv producer sends you a bomb

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

fanatical's weeb bundle 3 has all the usual schlock but river city girls + ara fell + killer is dead for $6 is a decent pick: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-a...tm_medium=email

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

i only got 100% for the first time here recently and i've owned this game like 5 different times

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I hope they have cloud scrambling around like a dipshit on live tv in the remake

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

frosted flake are there any games where you manage military drills and parades

Full Metal Sergeant I suppose?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Red Baron posted:

the best thing origins and odyssey did was the museum mode

This guy gets it.

They were very, very good. It's a bit shocking how much detail is in the game world, Egyptians actually threshing and milling grain the way they did historically in Origins, that goes totally unnoticed by the player. The Discovery Tours drew attention to the work Ubi and the historians advising them put into a game world where you chase icons on a map to collect things and stop a secret society dedicated to finding the space apple from the Garden of Eden left by alien Greek gods, or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvWuzAJP_8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8mMcevZrc

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what was the reason given for not letting you import your character wholesale from the first part of the ff7 remake?

evilmiera has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Oct 1, 2023

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

frosted flake in an imperial military uniform, performing tricks for a fat general: finally, this game is getting good for gently caress sake

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just started Lies of P, when do I unlock the scarlet rot dragon breath?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

docbeard posted:

Just started Lies of P, when do I unlock the scarlet rot dragon breath?

your mother isn't in the game

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ended up going tech weapons in cyberpunk. it makes me nostalgc of hacking in cs1.6. phantom liberty has an orange mod that you can slot into tech weapons that makes the wallhax shots basically regular shots in damage

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

alarumklok posted:

ended up going tech weapons in cyberpunk. it makes me nostalgc of hacking in cs1.6. phantom liberty has an orange mod that you can slot into tech weapons that makes the wallhax shots basically regular shots in damage

there's an excellent iconic tech rifle you can get early on in one of the main story quests, carried me through a whole playthrough

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm trying to go gun kata ninja

do i get to dual wield pistols?

i just want two tripped out pistols that shoot insane headshots and i just do my thing

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
i love playing stealth in cyberpunk when you case everything, and everything's telling you this is not a stealth mission you should just murder them all. then you have an idea and do something really stupid to get past the initial set of guards, like drop 3 stories landing behind one of them, barely crawling your crippled body behind a crate before they figure out what they're looking at. then loot smugly thinking you got one over on the game. then it tells you to get back out and you have to put a knife in everyone's skull anyway.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

stealth in cyberpunk is awesome because once you get advanced at it it can become very fast paced and aggressive

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

E: or maybe not nm

Buck Wildman has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Oct 2, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like tapping the right mouse button repeatedly when you have a knife out because it's like you're twirling it badassily

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Buck Wildman posted:

stealth in cyberpunk is awesome because once you get advanced at it it can become very fast paced and aggressive

yea last time i did it i was stealth/intelligence and leaned on quickhacks a lot. this time i'm all cool with some physical and reflex plus sandevistan, its immensely satisfying. i want like 10 more skill points so i can put knives in skulls while sliding, then its time to return to main questlines

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the 2.0 talent rework has made it easier than ever to do non-violent stealth with stuff like crouch sprint, mitigation reducing visibility and auto cloak

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
when i elected to "skip" the main quest in starfield ng+ i didnt know that meant skip literally everything

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

pink noise posted:

yea last time i did it i was stealth/intelligence and leaned on quickhacks a lot. this time i'm all cool with some physical and reflex plus sandevistan, its immensely satisfying. i want like 10 more skill points so i can put knives in skulls while sliding, then its time to return to main questlines

word I did all the ncpd stuff and gigs before touching the main stuff so I could experience it at my best

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i just use hacks, tag everybody then use tech weapons and shoot guys through walls. boomshakalaka

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

i just use hacks, tag everybody then use tech weapons and shoot guys through walls. boomshakalaka

also extremely good, a lot of really fun ways to build out in cyberpunk. I think the genre in general could actually take a lot of lessons from how cyberpunk handles stealth - I didn't think dishonored would ever be topped in that regard but this blows it out of the water in terms of fun and efficacy

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
yea, thats the thing. its my nature to do the slow non-violent stealth, i keep working myself into spots where i definitely should have dropped a few people on the way in and get cornered. then remembering i have all this poo poo that makes me impossible to hit even after being spotted and enjoy the hell out of combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A poo poo-ton of amazing games and I just look at my collection unable to choose.

I end up watching Twin Peaks The Return on discord.